PDA

View Full Version : [REQUEST] Allow user to rebind default 'E' to pickup weapons

Artadius
25th Mar 2010, 03:48
This is an unfortunate oversight for a small minority of gamers out there. Unlike most keyboard+mouse players out there who use a WASD setup for their movement, I have for years used a ESDF setup. I do this as it gives me (IMO) more freedom to the left of my fingers for extra bound keys (QAZ) as well as the handy reference nub that my index finger feels on the F key so that I can easily find my position when quickly moving around the keyboard.

However, in using this setup I constantly find myself accidentally picking up weapons I don't want when I press my E key (Forward) as that is the perma-bound key in JC2 for picking up weapons (Hold E or tap E as you see in game).

It's highly annoying and really is my only gripe on a wonderful game. Why not allow the user to rebind this action?

I can't find any settings anywhere in any config files to allow myself to do this.

Please help!

25th Mar 2010, 09:25
*BUMP*

I use arrow key config and without enter,mouse4,mouse5,DEL(which the game maps as tab??) it makes mapping keys difficult and finding a useful setup next to impossible.
IF these could be set in config or something that'd be great too..
Just like some response from eidos either way.

DeathJester
25th Mar 2010, 09:56
I just registered on here to ask the exact same question. I use E and R for strafing left and right, and have done in all FPS/Shooter games. The problem is I keep picking up weapons I don't want, usually replacing a good gun I found or bought from the black market :(

It has gotten so bad I've started using my Xbox 360 controller with it, but of course that has it's own problems (I am a terrible shot with a controller, I just don't get the feel that I do with a mouse).

I have looked in the game files, but I couldn't see any obvious .ini files or anything that could be manually altered via notepad.

cha0s
25th Mar 2010, 17:18
You guys are wierd. Like, really wierd.

Deadman
25th Mar 2010, 17:31
Weird because they don't use default controls?
I find the WASD settings to be among the worst possible (personally I think arrow keys are even worse) but I accept that not everyone uses my control style.
Nothing wrong with that, that's why you can change buttons.
The problem here is that you can't change buttons properly, namely the E key. I myself have the action button as a mouse button 7, which is located below the scroll wheel, and yet I still have to use E to pick stuff up.
Guess for the full game I'll assign mouse button 7 to E, that won't matter so much for me, but I can see it being a pain in the ass for others.

I'd also llike to have more efficient control mapping, lthe xbox controls have both sprint and dodge as the same button, tap for dodge, hold for sprint, I wish I could have the same thing on my keyboard.

billycreamo
25th Mar 2010, 17:49
I too would like to rebind use, i use a very...odd...control method to say the least.

Im right handed but my mouse is on the left of my keyboard and I use the arrow keys with my left hand, so they're kinda crossed over, rather comfortable really, usual setup is:

Arrows for move,
Enter for use,
RShift for sprint,
Space for jump,
RCtrl for crouch
Numpad 0 - Varies, Prone/zoom etc
Mouse 1 Fire
Mouse 2 Alt Fire
Mouse 3 Reload

It seems more and more games these days are classing Enter as a reserved key but not actually doing anything with it :( Hopefully we will see an editor that will work for the settings file so we can force it in the future.

apocreg11
30th Mar 2010, 15:34
Bump, bump bump it up!!

qbasic
1st Apr 2010, 14:42
arrrrrr

ESDF = walk
W = use
R = reload
space to jump in walking modus means in car parachute....
but in car i want to brake with space

so
everytime I walk over a gun i dont want... i get it...
everytime i want to handbrake in car i open the parachute...
this keys are routine i can't get away

in JC 1 every single action is possible to give his own key... i want back this controls

:worship: pleeeeease gimme a patch.....

Quidam
9th Jul 2010, 22:32
I, too, use ESDF, and just registered here for the sole purpose of asking you to please fix this bug. Otherwise, the game is amazing.

kultim8farce
10th Jul 2010, 11:09
I agree we could benefit from a more open remapping setting. I have always used the arrow keys in most games till recent titles force you to use wasd key set up.

Sense/Net
18th Jul 2010, 00:02
I just started playing JC2 about 30 minutes ago and this is annoying me right from the get-go. I use EDAF as my movement keys and I keep swapping to weapons I dont want in the middle of a firefight.... very annoying. Unbindable keys is a symptom of lazy porting :(

Sense/Net
18th Jul 2010, 01:03
Wow, so 6 consecutive deaths due to Rico picking up a weapon instead of moving out of harms way. Awesome game otherwise but this is seriously ******* retarded... :mad2: