PDA

View Full Version : Modding question

DaCommando
22nd Mar 2010, 18:44
If I were to download a mod (trainer, hack, whatever) won't I be banned from Steam as it states not to use any third party software?

Red_Man
22nd Mar 2010, 18:53
If game is not VAC protected (and it isn't), you can do whatever you want.

DaCommando
22nd Mar 2010, 20:02
Well I just don't want to end up in trouble so I'll probably submit a few question tickets here and there.

JustSauce
22nd Mar 2010, 21:44
You will not be VAC banned, but it would be wise to stay away from any modifications to the actual executable. Trainers, mods and such should be fine though.

AMDFreak
23rd Mar 2010, 00:26
mods are awesome and i highly encourage them. They extend the life of games well beyond what the developers intended. Since this game is not vac secured it's fair game for whatever. Only Multiplayer shooters (MW2, TF2 ect) or anything competitive where someone can get an unfair advantage ban for that. I used a lot of weapon skins for Counter Strike Source. it did nothing for the gameplay just was new weapon models and that was perfectly fine by VAC.

personally im looking forward to JC2 mods.

longboardskier
23rd Mar 2010, 03:33
I can confirm that you will not be banned by using trainers or any other mods with Steam games. I've used them with many games I've gotten off Steam (including Saints Row 2 and JC1) and have never had any problems.

Like it was stated before, as long as it's not VAC protected (like TF2 or CSS) you will be fine. It's a single-player game and nobody cares if you modify it. They only care about multiplayer games.

xjuanm
23rd Mar 2010, 06:51
There is no reason mods wouldn't be allow, this is not a online game so there is no unfair play. Worse you could do is mess up the game and having to redownload/install on steam.

Deadman
23rd Mar 2010, 07:19
Given that I've been getting mods for my steam games for years, and by now almost all of them has a mod of some kind or other and I've never had an inkling of trouble, I'd say you'll be fine ;)

I'm surprised you would actually ask, there's nothing wrong with mods, if it wasn't for mods counter-strike would never have existed.

DaCommando
23rd Mar 2010, 14:30
To explain:

I've always been a big MOD fan (Stalker, Oblivion, Goldeneye Source) so I know modding is okay, but this trainer for the demo sounded more illegal to me.

I don't have to worry though because I'm getting the game in a few days, but thanks everyone for clearing up the matter.

Deadman
23rd Mar 2010, 15:15
Haha, well the trainer is regularly posted and discussed in these forums, and they're never banned.
In fact, one time someone posted a thread with a link to the trainer in the wrong section, so a mod moved it to the right section.
So they are seeing it, and they're not even banning for it, let alone trying to declare some kind of legal action

DaCommando
23rd Mar 2010, 16:58
Well, you can't blame a guy for being too careful with a hardware ban in the question, even if it is kind of a stupid one.

Side note: WOOT! JC2 is going to be here tomorrow if not today (UPS has always been a day early with me whenever I use them)

MoothyKnight
25th Mar 2010, 10:10
The only reason you would get banned is if you were using trainers etc to cheat online