PDA

View Full Version : PC version - console port?

Whitestar
21st Mar 2010, 15:58
I read this a while back:

---------------------------------
"Square's community manager, Mike Oldman has been trying to build up enthusiasm for the PC version of Just Cause 2 via Twitter.

He recently tweeted: "Hey! Let's stress: JC2 on PC is absolutely not a port. PC gamers should expect great things. I'll have more news on these things very soon.""
---------------------------------

Well, I have played the PC demo for about 20 minutes now, and in my opinion there are several issues that must be corrected.

NOTE: Let me stress that I'm aware that we're just talking about the demo here and that they may not have put too much work into the PC version of the demo, which is ok as long as the full version corrects the issues below.

I have not played the demo on 360 or PS3, but still the PC demo feels console-ish. What do I mean by that? I mean the camera placing and controls, lack of free camera, unadjustable graphics settings and so on.

Here's what in my opinion is wrong:
- The FOV is too low, and the camera is way too close to the player. Needs to be pulled back or at least there should be an option to adjust it (maybe in the full game)? This is also a problem when parachuting. I like to see the whole player and the parachute, but the camera is placed almost into the parachute, just above the players head.
- The camera is locked when parachuting (mouse controls parachute). Why not give us a free mouse controlled camera like in GTA or Just Cause. This also applies to helicopters. Bike and car cameras seem free, but the camera tilts when the bike tilts, which is annoying and disorientating.
- The draw distance is ridiculously low. Cars disappear before your eyes. And grappling distance is too low also, I think.
- Everything more than 50 meters or so away is blurred?!?! Why? This and the draw distance needs to be much much better on the PC in the full version. The distance blur needs to be removed entirely (just annoing) or to be adjustable. I know some thinks it looks good but I think it's just annoying. Why blur my vision when it's much better to see things clearly and sharply?

I hope that this only applies to the demo.

MrExplosive
21st Mar 2010, 17:44
I like to see the whole player and the parachute, but the camera is placed almost into the parachute, just above the players head.Move your mouse?

The distance blur needs to be removed entirely (just annoing) or to be adjustable. I know some thinks it looks good but I think it's just annoying. Why blur my vision when it's much better to see things clearly and sharply?You mean the brokeh filter? Turn it off in the settings.

I pretty much agree with everything else.

Whitestar
21st Mar 2010, 18:11
Brokeh filter? Don't see that in any of the menus. Where is it?

gibbed
21st Mar 2010, 18:21
- The FOV is too lowTweakable with a command-line argument. fovfactor, I believe.

and the camera is way too close to the player. Needs to be pulled back or at least there should be an option to adjust it (maybe in the full game)? This is also a problem when parachuting. I like to see the whole player and the parachute, but the camera is placed almost into the parachute, just above the players head.
- The camera is locked when parachuting (mouse controls parachute). Why not give us a free mouse controlled camera like in GTA or Just Cause. This also applies to helicopters. Bike and car cameras seem free, but the camera tilts when the bike tilts, which is annoying and disorientating.Easily modded (and have done so already!).

- The draw distance is ridiculously low. Cars disappear before your eyes. And grappling distance is too low also, I think.Not sure what's up with this, I don't have this problem.

- Everything more than 50 meters or so away is blurred?!?! Why? This and the draw distance needs to be much much better on the PC in the full version. The distance blur needs to be removed entirely (just annoing) or to be adjustable. I know some thinks it looks good but I think it's just annoying. Why blur my vision when it's much better to see things clearly and sharply?Brokeh Filter under Advanced Display Settings.

BOLO
21st Mar 2010, 19:58
http://i42.tinypic.com/wvpbth.jpg where here?

gibbed
21st Mar 2010, 20:08
That's very strange, you're missing two options, "Brokeh Filter", and "Enhanced Water Detail" at the bottom of the list before Optional Settings.

Given that the title of the window is "Enhanced Water Detail" might indicate there's something broken with this menu.

Red_Man
21st Mar 2010, 20:42
It's Bokeh. Without R. http://www.thebokehfilter.com/

Bokeh option not shown when it isn't supported.

"fovfactor" controls camera, not FOV (or camera and FOV, then it's ok)
Draw distance — just ride any car and you'll see cars appearing from nowhere in 20-30 meters. Or just look on the road.
If you take a plane, you will not see that little trees and grass below you (even on low flight)

IIRC, draw distance was better before latest patch.

mixterz
21st Mar 2010, 20:57
I think the latest demo patch, removed the Bokeh filter option to unsupported graphics card, or something like that. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Look here at the latest Update changes : http://store.steampowered.com/news/3617/

Bokeh option not shown when it isn't supported.

Whitestar
21st Mar 2010, 21:22
Hmmm, I'm also missing the bokeh option. How can that not be supported on my card? I have a Radeon 5970. And I downloaded the demo yesterday, so it should be latest version.

I'll try the fovfactor command and see what that's like.

gibbed
21st Mar 2010, 21:30
Woops, I blame MrExplosive for the R in Bokeh. ;)

Crimsonskar
21st Mar 2010, 22:09
Bokeh and Enhanced Water Detail are effects that are only optional on PCs with Nvidia graphics cards. Both effects use CUDA.

Nvidia Documentary on the CUDA Water and DOF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wLi8MSNVM0

Menthalion
21st Mar 2010, 22:23
I think what the OP means is how to disable or tone down the DoF effect entirely.

There seems to be NO option for that, because even if you dont have or disable Bokeh, the DoF effect is still there, just rendered differently.
And I second his request: As long as games have no eye tracking, there's no way to do DoF based upon what the player is looking at, which is how it should be done. As long as that isn't the case, don't do it at all or at least make an option to turn it off.

compatible
21st Mar 2010, 22:31
ive got a gtx 295 , i have the cuda water effects setting but same with me is the bokeh filter setting has gone , i would of thought my card would of supported it but maybe its a graphic
driver thing waiting for nvida to get the act together i spose. :scratch:

Whitestar
21st Mar 2010, 22:32
Yes, Menthalion. That's what I meant. Why on earth blur things that are no more than 50 meters away?

Btw, I tried the fovfactor parameter. Looks way better now. :)

Now if they could just fix the draw distance and the DoF issue things would start to look really good. Hopefully there will be some way to adjust these in the full game.

JustSauce
21st Mar 2010, 22:35
- The FOV is too low, and the camera is way too close to the player.

Try putting /favfactor=1.4 or so on your commandline.
Edit: You beat me to it.

- Everything more than 50 meters or so away is blurred?!?! Why?

You're in the dessert.

Whitestar
21st Mar 2010, 22:52
The dessert? So my eyes are smudged with pudding? :rasp:

Just kidding. Interesting theory though. Will be interesting to see if the blurring is gone in other climate zones.

Helegad
21st Mar 2010, 22:57
I really like the Bokeh filter... and I have an ATi card. It's enabled by default. What's going on there?

Menthalion
22nd Mar 2010, 00:03
I really like the Bokeh filter... and I have an ATi card. It's enabled by default. What's going on there?

Ehm, if you have an ATI card you don't have the Bokeh filter. In the original demo they showed it as option, but it isn't in the rendering pipeline, due to CUDA being a Nvidia only option.

That said, there's still the question if the DoF-like effect in the demo is actually another non-Bokeh implementation of DoF, or, like JustSauce suggested, actually a heat haze option for the desert region.

In the benchmark its quite easily to see that there is heat haze, and that could be responsible for the blurring that can occur quite close by. Too bad it also seems to happen in the shade, and in the demo, even in the cutscene where Rico gets into the helicopter, which seems a pretty green region.