PDA

View Full Version : Steam required for DVD edition ?

divide
20th Mar 2010, 14:35
If I buy the PC DVD edition, will I need a Steam account to install/play the game ?

Zakkon
20th Mar 2010, 14:59
We shouldn't need to, since steam isn't used within the game. On the game box it doesn't say anything about it.

YumaKirosaki
20th Mar 2010, 15:01
We shouldn't need to, since steam isn't used within the game. On the game box it doesn't say anything about it.

In my experience, most PC games that are IN the steam store will -require- steam.
I had Lef4Dead via DVD but I was still forced to download it via steam... Of course, that game is mainly Valves anyway, but other examples follow to the point where I can't remember em all... The only PC game I had ever purchased that didn't use steam was Bioshock.

It all depends. I know that JC2 is -in- the steam store, so it might be required. You'll just have to wait and see. Mind, it doesn't matter; Steam downloads games very fast anyway.

Zakkon
20th Mar 2010, 15:08
In my experience, most PC games that are IN the steam store will -require- steam.

blah blah blah...

It all depends. I know that JC2 is -in- the steam store, so it might be required. You'll just have to wait and see. Mind, it doesn't matter; Steam downloads games very fast anyway.

Yeah, I forgot to say that. If you buy it on steam, you will steam installed.
But if you buy the dvd in a store you shouldn't have to.

JohnnyK
20th Mar 2010, 15:14
JC2 uses Steamworks for DRM (among other things), so you will have to have Steam installed even if you buy the retail copy, and you will need to activate the game via Steam. You will get full Steam integration (friendslist, stats, achievements) as a bonus though.

As a guideline: only games that use Steamworks need Steam to run; other games also available on Steam that do not use Steamworks can be used standalone when you buy the retail copy.

EDIT: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62573, http://twitter.com/mycoldman/status/9843743532

divide
20th Mar 2010, 15:47
Thanks a lot for your answers.

EndlessWaves
20th Mar 2010, 17:01
I had Lef4Dead via DVD but I was still forced to download it via steam... Of course, that game is mainly Valves anyway, but other examples follow to the point where I can't remember em all... The only PC game I had ever purchased that didn't use steam was Bioshock.

That's not true at all, most of the games in the steam store do not need steam to run if purchased elsewhere, only if bought from the steam store (and sometimes not even then).

JC2 uses Steamworks for DRM (among other things), so you will have to have Steam installed even if you buy the retail copy, and you will need to activate the game via Steam. You will get full Steam integration (friendslist, stats, achievements) as a bonus though.

Yes, a 'bonus' that will annoy you with messages about friends logging on in completely unrelated games, opt you in automatically to receive their pop-up adverts and cause difficulty with mods with it's annoying update system.

Zakkon
20th Mar 2010, 18:14
Lol, no way I'm having steam installed on my computer, ever.

People are definately gonna hack this.

mHtt
20th Mar 2010, 18:40
Lol, no way I'm having steam installed on my computer, ever.

People are definately gonna hack this.

Dude Valve is an industry leader BECAUSE of steam. It is groundbreaking DRM technology in the era when the MPAA and RIAA jail their customers.

please research Steam before you decide to be left out of a PC gaming revolution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_%28content_delivery%29

http://kotaku.com/5493053/valves-gabe-newell-predicts-gamings-future-not-talking-about-episode-three

Steam is the future of DRM, every self respecting PC gamer acknowledges this.

:mad2::mad2::mad2:

JohnnyK
20th Mar 2010, 20:02
Yes, a 'bonus' that will annoy you with messages about friends logging on in completely unrelated games
Open friendslist, click on Friends => Settings, disable notifications. Takes 10 seconds.

opt you in automatically to receive their pop-up adverts
I buy a lot of my games via Steam, and I do like to collect some older games I enjoyed, so I don't mind that.

cause difficulty with mods with it's annoying update system.
Never had an issue with mods; only problem with non-Steamworks games is that patches are often a day late as they have to run through Steam testing before they get added to Steam.

Enkeixpress
20th Mar 2010, 20:06
I think of Steam as being as the next generation of how PC games are going to be distributed to consumers from now on. :)

I bought the Half Life 2 collector's edition which includes Counter Strike Source from 'em like 3 years ago now & I am still able to reinstall it at anytime on any PCs or Laptops I may have at any given time in the future :D