PDA

View Full Version : A concern about the "Down not Dead" concept ...

GrievousOdyssey
17th Mar 2010, 18:38
So i read this on IGN : " To keep the pace going, death is less of an issue, thanks to the 'down-not-dead' concept. If you've been incapacitated by heavy rounds, you can still stay alive and crack off a few rounds with your handgun until Kane makes it over to revive you. Hence, 'down' not 'dead'. " ...

And i wonder ... is Lynch then basically invincible when Kane is around ? or does the reviving involves adrenaline and you get overdoses if you go down too much ? ...

What do you think ? ... afterall if this game wants to redefine 'realism' , how many times can a man get shot before he dies ? ...

The Pope
17th Mar 2010, 18:52
I see what you mean. I had similar doubts.
In the extended trailer we can see 2 cops shooting at Kane or Lynch (dont remember which one, gotta check...) - and how long will such a character live until he dies while being shot at form a 1m range?

...hmm...I think that it will pe possible at some point, same as it was in Dead Men - you can't be revived couple of times within a short period of time. That being said - I think that in Dog Days it will be similar...just maby not 100% realistic - coz' let's face it, if it would be 100% realistic, we'd die after a minute of gameplay.

Kent-45
17th Mar 2010, 19:28
yeah there's a scene where I think Kane is down and 2-3 cops are just circling him shooting directly at him while he's down.

This system seems like it needs a lot of work. Why they had to get rid of adrenaline is beyond me.

GrievousOdyssey
17th Mar 2010, 19:29
So it's a game with a realistic atmosphere , but with a arcadey kind of gameplay ...

Yeah , why not ...

GrievousOdyssey
17th Mar 2010, 19:31
Why they had to get rid of adrenaline is beyond me.

I'm already missing them last thoughts (the audio flashbacks) ...

Brackstone17
17th Mar 2010, 19:40
Remember guys, just because there was a scene with Kane getting shot point blank with a shotgun repeatedly and not dying, it doesn't mean that's how it is in the final game. Remember the trailers for the first game? They had a scene with Kane absorbing about a hundred bullets while trying to plant a bomb on a plate glass window, and people flipped out thinking that it meant you could take that many bullets in the final game. How did that turn out in the end?

GrievousOdyssey
17th Mar 2010, 19:51
Well ... i was talking about what is written in the the previews , not that scene in the extended trailer ...

Bawabus
17th Mar 2010, 20:01
It is troubling when a game is purported to be an experience that strives to capture the intensity of a gunfight, and they make it so your character can soak up damage--as characters do in most video games

GrievousOdyssey
17th Mar 2010, 20:08
Both Lynch and Kane have a master degree at Montana's school of bullet sponging , don't forget that ! ...

Bawabus
17th Mar 2010, 20:21
I always loved in the Hitman games how whenever anyone got shot, their upper torso would just bend in the direction of the bullet's travel. It's not like they recoiled in shock or horror--they'd just keep on doing whatever they were doing and bend a little bit to the side.

This is something that I hope is not present in this game.

Nick@IO
17th Mar 2010, 20:23
Trust me, guys, the game is deadly. We're going to go into more detail on Down not Dead soon enough but it's not that Lynch or Kane is invicible in any way. The AI will punish you big time if you're too careless. There's not a lot of damage soaking in the game - the feature gives you a second chance, though, but a shot to the face is a shot to the face and that's going to take you out.

Bawabus
17th Mar 2010, 20:29
Trust me, guys, the game is deadly. We're going to go into more detail on Down not Dead soon enough but it's not that Lynch or Kane is invicible in any way. The AI will punish you big time if you're too careless. There's not a lot of damage soaking in the game - the feature gives you a second chance, though, but a shot to the face is a shot to the face and that's going to take you out.

Thank you for saying this. It's easy for me to worry about this stuff without the game in front of me.

I'm just hoping--in addition to a shot to the head being a shot to the head--a shot to the chest is a shot to the chest, that a shot to the leg is a shot to the leg, and that a shot to the arm is treated similarly.

Falkenwut
17th Mar 2010, 20:39
I'm gonna be using the down not dead scenario abit too oftenly if head-shot is as deadly as nick says it is... Assuming how stupid or smart the people of Shanghai are... lol

Speaking of which.. you guys think AI is gonna vary from the previous game?

Bawabus
17th Mar 2010, 20:41
They've said it's going to be much more aggressive--active. Let's hope they make some good AI as that is paramount to the action in a game being fun.

GrievousOdyssey
17th Mar 2010, 20:45

Holy Lynch ! Nick just posted in my topic , i am not worthy of this ! ...

Anywya , as long as the hard difficulty isn't ridiculously hard (one bullet on the foot = instant death ) ...

Kent-45
17th Mar 2010, 21:37
Kane is working on his doctorate of profanity as well... a very hard degree program I might add... a very ******* goddamn hard degree program indeed.

dude63
17th Mar 2010, 21:46
You have to remember its still a game. While i msure a lot of chalenge will be put int othis feature it it can't be over used I wouldn't think. Its funny how you talk of realism yet you could regen health in the first one..lol. Its a video game and certain stuff will be there. I have no doubt it won't be punsihing like the first. I also dont think this down but not dead feature can be exploited a lot to the point where your bullet sucking crawling zombies. Lots of games have arcade like gameplay...almost all of them...to be honest.

Kent-45
17th Mar 2010, 21:54
I want to go on record as saying that this looks better by leaps and bounds than the first Kane & Lynch. The graphics look very intense, I love the stylized look to everything. I love those washed out colors, and I like how the camera effects are subtle but still "in your face."

My only concern now is... how am I going to survive until August?

dude63
17th Mar 2010, 21:57
^ Lol totally agree

GrievousOdyssey
17th Mar 2010, 22:01
Kane is working on his doctorate of profanity as well... a very hard degree program I might add... a very ******* goddamn hard degree program indeed.

Yeah but Lynch got it before puny Adam ! ...
Lalalalalalalalalalalala and he got the degree flawlessly ! ...
So **** off pansy ! ...

Its funny how you talk of realism yet you could regen health in the first one..lol.

During the previews of Dog Days IO speaks of redefining 'realism' in video games ...
So , yeah ...
I don't know ...
No seriously , the video game industry has been attempting to capture this so called 'realistic' approach ... and the more they try the more artificial things get ...

GrievousOdyssey
17th Mar 2010, 22:04
My only concern now is... how am I going to survive until August?

You played the masterpiece / Grand Theft Auto IV yet ? ...

Kent-45
17th Mar 2010, 22:09
You played the masterpiece / Grand Theft Auto IV yet ? ...

I own it on Steam, but don't have a PC that can play it... very soon my friend, very soon. Got a new laptop on the horizon.

UhUh
17th Mar 2010, 22:18
During the previews of Dog Days IO speaks of redefining 'realism' in video games ...
So , yeah ...
I don't know ...
No seriously , the video game industry has been attempting to capture this so called 'realistic' approach ... and the more they try the more artificial things get ...

They always been very clear about what they ment:
Games try to be realistic with higher resolution textures, models and so on, they went the other way, making the image dirty and made it look like it's been recorder on camera; they talked about sound design and about staged action.

It's clear that for them the realism is in the style, while going for a more "industry standard" gameplay.
This maybe sounds bad, but think about it, dead men was critized becouse of its quirkyness and they want to fix that, make it more polished while keeping the unique characters and try a different visual/sound/enviormental style.

I think that's the realism that matters, game mechanics don't have to be realistic, they can to be expressionists.

BeardedHoplite
17th Mar 2010, 22:46

Or things get generally less fun.

Unpaid Intern
17th Mar 2010, 23:41
I think that's the realism that matters, game mechanics don't have to be realistic, they can to be expressionists.

Agreed. Although if anyone is looking for the true gunfight-vs-30cops experience, ramping up the difficulty level should get them lying face in the pavement fast enough :)

Falkenwut
18th Mar 2010, 00:03
^
Lynch: kane...
kane: yeah?
Lynch: I think we're in trouble
*loads of loading guns at once*
Kane: you ****ing think?

*to be continued*

Fritz von Wolfenschanz
18th Mar 2010, 10:28
"Down not Dead" is badass. Fact.
Badassery > Gameplay. Fact.

Therefore, down not dead is good.

GrievousOdyssey
18th Mar 2010, 17:35
Der Fuhrer has spoken ! ...

zephyr1991
22nd Mar 2010, 04:08
I think it will be the same as the in dead men, except this time you can crawl and or shoot while waiting for a adrenaline shot instead of just lying there. And as Nick said, I guess we won't be running around will three different bullet holes littering our faces anymore :P

LUCKYDOGSLEVIN
12th Apr 2010, 04:23
I cant wait to see it in fragile alliance. I love and play fragile alliance just about everyday and i'll say this, anything that is done to this game couldn't make it any worse than it is. what i want to say is that they can only go up from here. You dont have to be Kane to Beat Kane.

XBoXGamertag: LUCKYDOGSLEVIN

Nick@IO
12th Apr 2010, 07:15
I think it will be the same as the in dead men, except this time you can crawl and or shoot while waiting for a adrenaline shot instead of just lying there. And as Nick said, I guess we won't be running around will three different bullet holes littering our faces anymore :P

Check out the latest post on the blog (http://bit.ly/cxXeUW)on the official website for more on how this feature works :)

SlashPrower
12th Apr 2010, 20:46
Seems like a really good concept from what the blog post said.