PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Gamers, JC2 Demo in 3D for free!

snakeman65
17th Mar 2010, 00:34
Just discovered the awesome nvidia 3D Vision Discover:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Discover_Main.html

Grabbed an old pair on anaglyph (red / blue) 3d specs and hey presto, JC2 Demo in 3d!

Mind = Blown

Kitchenfork
17th Mar 2010, 08:55
whats the 3d like, worth it. Are the colours too washed out with the glasses?

I have been considering buying one of the 120hz monitors for the proper 3D but I don't know if it is worth it.

Valdore
17th Mar 2010, 14:30
The red-cyan glasses are good for an overview of what a game is like in 3D, but I found it quite hard to play with them for a long time, they tint the colours a lot, and I actually struggle to play the games for some reason. However, it did convince me to upgrade to a 3D Vision rig, and in my opinion, if you can afford it, it's definitely worth it. JC2 demo looks pretty amazing with it, along with other games ;)

It does, however, have an impact on the wallet . . .

Kitchenfork
18th Mar 2010, 02:27
I saw at Harvey Norman that they have a 3d vision kit (Nvidia 3D glasses and 22" samsung 120hz LCD monitor) for $700 Au which isn't too bad considering 120hz would be nice to game in even without using the 3D. I ordered some cheap cyan/red glasses off ebay so will see what they are like to give me an idea if its worth the upgrade.

XXX1
18th Mar 2010, 02:52
Nvidia 3D glasses are ***** buy real 3D like 3DVisor Z800 :)

PoorBison
18th Mar 2010, 04:53
Nvidia 3D glasses are ***** buy real 3D like 3DVisor Z800 :)How would that work with Nvidia 3D? Totally different ways of working :)

Datashocker
18th Mar 2010, 05:29
Awesome. Thanks for pointing this out, I had no idea nvidia drivers had anything other than stereoscopic 3D, just ordered a pair of their "specialized" red/cyan glasses. They supposedly work better than just regular red/cyan glasses with the software. I don't really believe it, but better to be safe than sorry, eh? They were only a dollar anyways.

Valdore
18th Mar 2010, 11:34
Nvidia 3D glasses are ***** buy real 3D like 3DVisor Z800 :)

Actually, I would much rather wear less intrusive glasses than one of those things ;) Besides, they work along the same principles of stereoscopy anyway, so they're both real 3D as it were.

vhold
19th Mar 2010, 02:06
I have 3D vision, it's pretty amazing with the Just Cause 2 demo but _very_ taxing on your GPU. I have a GTX 275, running at 1080P, with most of the post processing features turned off, and high/medium detail and it's on the borderline of smooth.

Also, the parachute cords can pretty annoying in 3-D. They're sort of right in your face and you have to get used to focusing beyond them. I really wish the game had some first-person options.

Kitchenfork
19th Mar 2010, 05:06
can't believe my good luck. i went in to Harvey norman today to have another look at the samsung 22" and 3d vision kit and it is 50% off for this weekend. So it only is going to cost me $436 Au for the glasses and monitor! What does everyone think? For that price it is pretty hard to say no, even if the 3D doesn't turn to be all that it is cracked up to be the monitor itself is still a decent monitor to game on.

Valdore
20th Mar 2010, 05:43
I have 3D vision, it's pretty amazing with the Just Cause 2 demo but _very_ taxing on your GPU. I have a GTX 275, running at 1080P, with most of the post processing features turned off, and high/medium detail and it's on the borderline of smooth.

Also, the parachute cords can pretty annoying in 3-D. They're sort of right in your face and you have to get used to focusing beyond them. I really wish the game had some first-person options.

Any game in 3D will be roughly twice as demanding on your card. The reason being:

Normally your card would render 60 images in a second to get a framerate of 60fps. The way that 3D Vision works is it produces an image for each eye consecutively, so to show it more graphically:

Without 3D Vision you get (I = Image)

I I I I I I I I etc

With 3D Vision you get (L = Left, R = Right)
LRLRLRLRLRLRLRLR

So to produce a framerate of 60fps in 3D vision, you need 60fps for each eye. This means an overall framerate of 120fps. Hence the need for a 120Hz screen, which can update 120 times in a second.

You can sacrifice a little, as about 40fps is very playable, meaning you need 80fps with 3D Vision, but for such a graphically demanding game, that's still quite hard on the GPU!

Hope this made sense to someone out there :P

Kitchenfork
20th Mar 2010, 10:01
I just picked up my monitor and geforce 3D glasses and fired up the just cause 2 demo. First I played just cause with out 3D and I was extremely impressed with the monitor. Just Cause 2 looks so awesome when running at 120hz. I then tried the 3D glasses and was even more impressed than I thought I would be. Unfortunately the framerate was pretty bad at max settings (running a gtx 275) but I was expecting that so with a bit of tweaking I will get the fps down to nice and smooth framerate.

I definately recommend this monitor and the 3D glasses to anyone with a decent graphics card, especially if you can get it at the price I got it at.