PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help?

Crockeo
16th Mar 2010, 00:28
Well, I downloaded the Just Cause 2 demo for the PC (as I have a wired controller and my brother is addicted to FFXIII) but when I play it for more than 30 minutes, my computer overheats. I know this is more tech support, but because I want to play the game, but I can't I thought I would post it here. Well, I have an Acer Aspire 6530 computer. (I don't know the exact specs as of now, but I will check on that soon)

NovaSilisko
16th Mar 2010, 00:30
I don't know all that much about hardware but from what I can tell, the Acer Aspire 6530 is NOT a gaming laptop, so it's not surprising.

Crockeo
16th Mar 2010, 00:32
Is there any way to make my fan go in to overdrive, so I may be able to play more?

mixterz
16th Mar 2010, 00:46
I think you can download a program called Speedfan, look it up on google.
There's a few tutorials on youtube on how to get it working :)

Valdore
16th Mar 2010, 00:54
Be careful speeding your fans up though, if you spin them at full for a long time, they'll knacker themselves out pretty quickly.

another suggestion:

Raise your laptop up above the surface it is on a little, making sure to keep the grilles clear, it'll get more airflow and should keep it cooler over all. However, as Silisko said, it isn't a gaming laptop.

Also, it may be worth playing with the graphics settings if you haven't already to take some of the strain off your GPU which will keep it cooler overall.

Crockeo
16th Mar 2010, 00:56
Ty with all of that, and I tried speedfan, my computer won't let it take control, even with running as admin. And my computer is on two of my books, one being the very thick pokemon platinum guide, and the other being Catch 22.

Valdore
16th Mar 2010, 01:32
Just make sure they're clear of the fans, otherwise they'll just contribute to the problem (speaks from experience :P) But try notching the graphics settings of the game down as well.

Enkeixpress
16th Mar 2010, 01:34
I tried playing the demo on my Acer Aspire 5920g for sh1ts & giggles.. Funny enough, It runs extremely smooth & at max settings. :D

Crockeo
16th Mar 2010, 02:11
I tried playing the demo on my Acer Aspire 5920g for sh1ts & giggles.. Funny enough, It runs extremely smooth & at max settings. :D

Good for you, and I'll try bringing the graphics down a notch.

Enkeixpress
16th Mar 2010, 02:14
Dude.. I'm sorry if I came across as bragging a little but.. Hmmm, Most I could give ya would be to update to the latest drivers for your graphics card.. It works wonders sometimes.

Valdore
16th Mar 2010, 12:40
Except that the problem he is having is with overheating. He mentioned nothing about framerate issues. It might also be gunked up inside with dust, depending how long you've had it, might be worth taking it in for a service, or if you're competent, you could try it yourself. Though I would advise against that, strongly :P

mrvirginia
16th Mar 2010, 13:23
Except that the problem he is having is with overheating. He mentioned nothing about framerate issues. It might also be gunked up inside with dust, depending how long you've had it, might be worth taking it in for a service, or if you're competent, you could try it yourself. Though I would advise against that, strongly :P

overheating could be the drivers, you never know. with different drivers, your laptop can run at different temps under load.

mrvirginia
16th Mar 2010, 13:28

i think that's ridiculous considering the game locks up on me and i have an actual gaming laptop that could kill yours. wtf is going on!?!?

i call bs on you being able to play this

Crockeo
16th Mar 2010, 19:14
I like the driver idea, nothing was wrong until I installed Windows 7... I'll try the drivers, and I should have put that in, huh?