PDA

View Full Version : Why the FFVII PC re-release has only limited changes and improvements.

digitoxin
15th Aug 2012, 19:52
This is an excerpt from finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantas... (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII)

Final Fantasy VII was the first Final Fantasy title to be ported to a Windows system. Shareholders felt Square was limiting their market by not delivering games for multiple platforms; the company thus started to update the old games to modern programming languages and platforms, and to port Final Fantasy VII to the PC. Eidos was chosen as the publisher, as at the time Eidos successfully converted and released Core's Tomb Raider from PlayStation to PC, and thus seemed like a company experienced in marketing and distributing PlayStation to PC conversions. Eidos bought the rights to publish Final Fantasy VII for the PC for a million dollars, and Square contracted out the port team in Honolulu.<sup id="cite_ref-QGears_0-0" class="reference">[1] (#cite_note-QGears-0)</sup>

The PC port of Final Fantasy VII suffers from many problems. After the PlayStation version was finalized, Square shut down the Final Fantasy VII project and broke apart its development team; the coders, artists, managers, and equipment were either transferred to the Final Fantasy IX project, moved to other parts of the company, released from their contract, or simply deprecated. What more, the programmers working on the port had never made a PC game before, and so it is ridden with architectural mistakes.

The only thing the port team could work with was the pre-compiled PlayStation data on backgrounds and FMV movies, because the computers used to render the originals were gone and the 3D models for the cinematics were no longer available. Many of the original artists and animators were contract workers and no longer with Square, so they couldn't help with the port. The original MIDI music was tweaked by audio engineers after being complied into the PSX SEQ format; the original MIDIs the PC received were not even the final versions.<sup id="cite_ref-QGears_0-1" class="reference">[1] (#cite_note-QGears-0)</sup> Square refused to have anything changed for the port, apart from the text input, because the game's original director was not part of the project and could not be consulted.

The PC version was released June of 1998, but it was buggy and initially incompatible with Cyrix and AMD CPUs. The PC version was ridden with problems from movies playing upside down or crashing the system, users' sound cards not being designed for MIDI playback, and the initial keyboard configuration using only the numeric keypad, meaning the game could not be played on many laptops. One of the most notorious flaws was a glitch that crashed the game during the Chocobo racing (/wiki/Gold_Saucer#Chocobo_Square) sequences; like most issues of the PC version, it was addressed with a fan-made patch.[1] (http://www.qhimm.com/#ff7) Despite these problems, a Yamaha S-YXG70 software synthesizer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_synthesizer#S-YXG_series) was provided on the install disc, which was, according to the readme, specially made for the game by Yamaha, and offered superior MIDI quality in comparison to the General MIDI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI) standard.

Having learned from the Final Fantasy VII PC version mistakes, Square started a long-term project to "up-port" their core games and standardize all data, so the faults made with the Final Fantasy VII PC port would never happen again.<sup id="cite_ref-QGears_0-2" class="reference">[1] (#cite_note-QGears-0)</sup> The recent re-releases of old Final Fantasy games use a new 2D engine.<sup id="cite_ref-QGears_0-3" class="reference">[1] (#cite_note-QGears-0)</sup>

Asuha
15th Aug 2012, 19:55
I think this should have been obvious since the announcement. It was always going to be that PC version from 1998 and I'm really surprised people expected more.

digitoxin
15th Aug 2012, 19:58
I think this should have been obvious since the announcement. It was always going to be that PC version from 1998 and I'm really surprised people expected more.

The only disappointment I have is with the music because that is something they could have fixed easily.

Asuha
15th Aug 2012, 20:00
True, they could have. But this really is the original PC version virtually untouched with a few mods stuck to it and achievements.

the_randomizer
15th Aug 2012, 20:14

The only disappointment I have is with the music because that is something they could have fixed easily.

Try this - it replaces the horrible MIDI with the PSX version

www.gamefront.com/files/22128993/FF7+Fix... (http://www.gamefront.com/files/22128993/FF7+Fixed+Music.rar)

Ginnas
15th Aug 2012, 21:29

Try this - it replaces the horrible MIDI with the PSX version

www.gamefront.com/files/22128993/FF7+Fix... (http://www.gamefront.com/files/22128993/FF7+Fixed+Music.rar)

File not found.

the_randomizer
15th Aug 2012, 23:48
I still have the file; I'll upload it myself since some thoughtless punk deleted it.

matsurijapan-321718
23rd Aug 2012, 16:09
Where you uploading it to?

tir43l
23rd Aug 2012, 18:19
True, they could have. But this really is the original PC version virtually untouched with a few mods stuck to it and achievements.

It IS the original PC version that is patched to work with Win 7/Vista.

igoraam
25th Aug 2012, 10:06
Dammit I should have looked the forums before buying the game. I really liked this game, but not as much as the Fanboys and I don't think this is the best game in the series, but it IS a real good game. Not as much to be in ALL BEST GAMES OF ALL TIME LISTS. I playied a borrowed copy of FF7 and havenĀ“t time to play it as I would like, so i thought that was a good idea to buy this version, instead of buying the PS1 version that is avaible in the PSN. I like the old graphics, I'm kind of nostalgic with those things, but it's almos impossible to play it on HI-Res TV's, so that's why I thought it was a good idea. And now I'm not pretty sure...

Square why did you do that? You could have done more than those lame achviements and HiRes support? Just that? No soud upgrade? New menus maybe?

The only thing that comes to mind is this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt39TNCpRTg)

I hope the mod comunity can come with something better for us. There is a music mod. And I hope square comes up with something too 'cause well..........WE PAID FOR IT! Ok, sorry.......

That's what happens when you want to help your favorites publishers......