PDA

View Full Version : Will it have achievements on PC version?

Dede1000
13th Mar 2010, 17:55
-

Forget about it, i found the answer on the topic right above! Sorry.

Scarn
14th Mar 2010, 02:37
I dont get pople who want achievements. i mean they dont do you any good if you complete them.

vhold
14th Mar 2010, 06:37
I hope not, achievements and trophies are a negative impact on gaming overall. They're a reason for game companies to clamp down on single player cheat codes and saved game sharing, which nobody had any issue with before, in fact those things were generally considered awesome upsides to PC gaming.

And as for multiplayer gaming, multiplayer achievements and trophies usually encourage non-teamwork behavior. "Get 50 headshots" .. ok.. so they form a game with their achievement whore friends and just headshot each other. You, not caring about this crap, enter a game and encounter this lameness.. Ugh.. I hope one day achievements and trophies die.

Johnny Tee
14th Mar 2010, 06:56
I hope not, achievements and trophies are a negative impact on gaming overall. They're a reason for game companies to clamp down on single player cheat codes and saved game sharing, which nobody had any issue with before, in fact those things were generally considered awesome upsides to PC gaming.

And as for multiplayer gaming, multiplayer achievements and trophies usually encourage non-teamwork behavior. "Get 50 headshots" .. ok.. so they form a game with their achievement whore friends and just headshot each other. You, not caring about this crap, enter a game and encounter this lameness.. Ugh.. I hope one day achievements and trophies die.

Ok, I am not trying to be a pedantic tool here, but isn't there a similarity between "saved game sharing" and forming "a game with their achievement whore friends and just headshot each other" - isn't the concept the same? Getting somewhere in a game with the help of others? I know there are differences, obviously, but they're both forms of 'cheating'. And don't even get me started on "Official guide books" ... lol

vhold
14th Mar 2010, 07:19
Ok, I am not trying to be a pedantic tool here, but isn't there a similarity between "saved game sharing" and forming "a game with their achievement whore friends and just headshot each other" - isn't the concept the same? Getting somewhere in a game with the help of others? I know there are differences, obviously, but they're both forms of 'cheating'. And don't even get me started on "Official guide books" ... lol

The difference is control.

When the game companies don't care what you do with your game, they don't try to prevent you from sharing saved games, creating trainers, etc. Now that achievements and trophies are such a big deal, they've compelled to enforce restrictions on what gamers can do with their games, even when it's not multiplayer. As far as I can tell, it's had an overall negative impact on gaming. Games that don't have these draconian measures built in get mods, trainers, etc, and extend the life of the game. Now these things are considered "Bad" because they affect something as pointless as an "achievement."

Arrowslinger
14th Mar 2010, 16:35
When the game companies don't care what you do with your game, they don't try to prevent you from sharing saved games, creating trainers, etc.

That should read:

When the game companies don't care what you do with your game, they don't try to prevent you from CHEATING

Without achievements, goals and or progression in a game there really is no point in playing it.

vhold
14th Mar 2010, 20:20
Without achievements, goals and or progression in a game there really is no point in playing it.

And that's where our difference lies. I play games because they're fun, which is its own reward. I go to work, practice my trade, and advance my career, in order to achieve something. If a game were fun I'd play it even if it caused my achievement score to go down, I probably wouldn't even notice.

Dede1000
14th Mar 2010, 21:23
Hey guys, i didn't want to start a debate about this... ;) I just like to have the feeling to have completed the game when i got them all. It's the same principle of wanting to liberate all the villages in JC1. I won't argue so much about this for the reason i don't speak english too well and because i found the answer i was looking for.

Oh and : in Crackdown, there was a Key to the city mode were achievements were locked. In this mode, you could use cheats and sort of trainers. That's a good way to do things no?
I understand your point of view but it don't affect me because i never play in multiplayer.