PDA

View Full Version : JC2 demo won't start

bidji
11th Mar 2010, 20:38
hey all! :)
I've downloaded the demo yesterday and I haven't been able to make it run. whenever I try to launch the game (via steam or the autorun, doesn't make a difference...), I get that message about the game being "blocked by group policy".
now, I have administrator privileges on this computer, which runs Win7 64bits. I have checked the group policies with both mmc gpedit.msc and regedit and nothing was "blocked". UAC is turned off.
my graphic card, audio and chipset drivers are all up to date, I run the latest DX redist (february 2010)... I don't really know what could possibly be wrong on the software side. :hmm:
my computer:
Gigabyte GA-MA790XTUD4P mobo
Phenom II 4x 965 BE cpu
4GB DDR3
nVidia GTX260 gpu
Realtek ALC889a audio chip
some HDDs (JC2 demo is on a drive which has more than the 10GB free space required)
and that's about it.
so is there something I missed?

compatible
12th Mar 2010, 01:25
you could try running it as an administrator, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\just cause 2 demo .
find the exe (just cause application ) , for just cause 2 right click on it then run it as an administrator , if this does work go back there but go into the compatibility tab then tick run as administrator , then press apply.

bidji
12th Mar 2010, 09:12
thanks, I hadn't tried that. :)
it didn't work, though. I'm going to uninstall/reinstall steam and the demo, I'll keep you updated...

edit: I moved both steam and JC2 to another drive, just in case. I keep getting the same message. it's kind of puzzling, too, as it's the only application that gives me that message, which leads me to think there is something wrong with the demo itself. I understand it's early code (as in the version that the devs are currently working on is more recent, code-wise), but it would be nice to have this problem solved. just in case, you know... so that people don't get that bug when the game launches. :D I think I've seen a post on steam forums, where a guy reports a similar bug, and he also has a nvidia gpu and runs win7 (supposedly the 64bit version).

Eidos Support
12th Mar 2010, 15:10
Check Event Viewer (Start > eventvwr) and see if it can show you more information on this. It may be some other service on your PC needs to be running such as cryptographic services etc. When you try to launch the demo, does it go through the motions of installing DirectX, C++ etc first?

If you have security/anti-virus software installed try disabling it before launching in case it's conflicting with what the demo is wanting to do.

bidji
12th Mar 2010, 17:36
well, directX and c++ installed normally, during the demo's installation. they don't ask me to install them if I try to launch the demo, if that's what you meant.
I tried deactivating my anti-virus (I even went from AVG to avira, just in case there was a conflict there) but it didn't help much.
I'll dig into these event viewer logs and see if I can find anything useful.

whut
24th Mar 2010, 21:53
bidji have you been able to see what is the problem? I also cannot launch the demo with the same error. No other application i have is having this group policy issue.

Windows 7 Ultimate with UAC off also.

whut
26th Mar 2010, 15:47
Not even in the administrator account it works... Does anyone knows what kind of operation is the executable trying to do that may fire this?

I never had this error in any other apps in Windows 7

Eidos Support
26th Mar 2010, 16:21
Found that there may be, or have been, something on your system (such as anti-virus or 'other' security software) which could have written a security policy which restricts what you can do.

This forum post may shed some light on this : http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/blocked-by-group-policy

There are suggestions that registry entries could be at the root of this. You could also check the Windows Group Policy Editor ( http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3652-local-group-policy-editor-open.html )

bidji
27th Mar 2010, 03:43
sorry for the delay, guys.
I haven't been able to solve the problem as of yet. I just bought the game on steam and I keep getting the same error message. thanks for the links, Eidos support guy, I'll tell you if it helps. :)
glad to see I'm not the only one with the problem, whut. I hope we both can soon make the game run. :)

bidji
27th Mar 2010, 14:46
well, I've tried most every setting in gpedit, mmc, searched regedit... to no avail as of yet. I'm starting to fear I might have to do a fresh install of Win7, see if that helps. :(

whut
27th Mar 2010, 18:49
bidji no need i reseted group policys using the command Microsoft has for that and i still get the same issue.

I have even created a fresh install of win7 in a virtual machine with the game and also the same issue.

There has to be some special system call in that Exe that is not common because in so many games this is the only one i have this issue.

EDIT: i will post here something if i catch in the internet.. meanwhile ill continue playing borderlands.

bidji
27th Mar 2010, 19:30
that's what I feared. I've actually re-installed an old image of my system partition I had made after installing W7, and sure enough, I still get the message. I'm going to do a real fresh install anyway, just so I can say that I've really tried everything. if it still won't run, then I guess we'll have to turn to the developers to try to find what it is that the game does, that no other application we're using seems to be doing and that's implemented in such a way that it just won't let the game start if it can't be done.
the other thing is, the error message is pretty vague and it might very well be generic...as in maybe the issue doesn't really have to do with group policy. I mean, what permission should the game need that even a user with administrative privileges doesn't have? :confused:

neotms
27th Mar 2010, 22:10
I'm having the same problem with JustCause 2 on Windows 7. It seems to be a rather rare bug so I'd guess we have something in common whether it's software related or whatever :P

bidji
27th Mar 2010, 22:45
well, that makes three of us... :)
I'm done re-installing win7, I'm installing steam at the moment.
there's basically nothing but win7 and just cause 2 on the compy right now. I'll tell you how all my problems are solved in a moment. or not... :hmm:

bidji
27th Mar 2010, 23:06
well, the game starts...
I still don't have a clue about what was causing the error. I'll start re-installing all my stuff and tell you if the message shows up again... :)

edit: I love that game. :D

neotms
28th Mar 2010, 05:16
Did you format the hard drive before the installation?
I guess I'll reinstall too and see what happens (kinda had to anyway :P).

bidji
28th Mar 2010, 12:25
yes, I formatted the drive before re-installing. I hope it works for you too.

bidji
28th Mar 2010, 12:49
now, just for the sake of it, I thought I'd make a list of all the 'unusual' stuff about my system before I re-installed it. maybe we can find something the three of us did, that might help find out what was causing the error.
here's what I can think of off the top of my head:
- had several W7 features removed via vLite, including: windows defender, windows firewall, security center, UAC, windows updates, windows themes. they're installed in my new setup, only deactivated via services.msc.
- my page file was split between two partitions on two separate drives
- errr... that's all I can think of at the moment.

whut
28th Mar 2010, 15:53
Is there a way to debug the executable? Because i would really like to know what is the group policy its failing on.

Maybe im a little paranoid but if i had 5 executables in the same conditions... i would accept the fact. But this is the first of a lot of them behaving this way.

I wouldn't mind a full reset of windows but since i would need to backup everything etc etc i was hopping to get the group policy that he fails on.

Thanks,

neotms
28th Mar 2010, 18:39
Works fine after a clean windows installation. Don't know what caused the error either.
Weirdest thing I can think of about my old setup is that 2 windows updates failed to install. I also used a registry cleaning program called Glary Registry Repair (or something like that) which I'm not sure is suitable for Win7.

bidji
29th Mar 2010, 12:34
mmmh... I also had the registry 'cleaned', using ccleaner (v. 2.27 at the time). :hmm:

supasteevo
30th Mar 2010, 07:58
Same problem here, the game won't start because of group policies.
It's also the first game or application I see which causes this error message to appear, really strange ...

Does any of you have applocker enabled ?

Could Eidos try to give us a hint on where or to look or how to debug the message ? (in order to find the group policy which is causing problem).

Thanks

commando369
31st Mar 2010, 15:37
Hi, I am also having this problem with the full game I purchased :(
I launch the game and I get the same group policy error.
I have reformatted my pc with windows 7, but it has some components removed via Vlite.
gpedit.msc still works though...
Please advise

bidji
1st Apr 2010, 00:21
best advice I can give you is to install w7 again, but this time disable the features you don't want using services.msc instead of removing them with vLite. it has worked for me. :)

edit: obviously, there are things you can remove with vlite that won't do any harm, like wallpapers, windows media player, drivers for some hardware you don't have, etc...

edit2:

Does any of you have applocker enabled ?
I don't.

commando369
1st Apr 2010, 09:54
best advice I can give you is to install w7 again, but this time disable the features you don't want using services.msc instead of removing them with vLite. it has worked for me. :)

edit: obviously, there are things you can remove with vlite that won't do any harm, like wallpapers, windows media player, drivers for some hardware you don't have, etc...

edit2:

I don't.

Thanks for the advice, I guess I will just partition with one partition with the Full windows 7 then one with all the crapware removed that I have at the moment, then when i have finished jc2 i will delete the 2nd partition hehe :)

kon
7th Apr 2010, 11:41
i am having exactly the same issue "blocked by group policy".
formatting is definitely not an option!

a solution for this would be awesome!

doulifee
7th Apr 2010, 12:25
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3652-local-group-policy-editor-open.html

how to edit local group. Hope that can help.

kon
7th Apr 2010, 23:18
i am using a unaltered windows 7 default group policy. it's on my home computer, which only i use.
i am administrator. so it can't be the policies

bidji
9th Apr 2010, 15:57
then, as formatting isn't an option to you, maybe you should try to do a fresh install of W7, only on another drive/partition (so that you can keep your current setup) and see if the game runs from there.

so it can't be the policies
my guess is it's a generic error message and the error/bug is not entirely (if at all) related to group policies. but as me and others in this thread have found out, it's easier and quicker to install W7 again than trying to find what really causes it...

kon
9th Apr 2010, 20:43
i mean it's not an option because the install can't get any fresher than it already is, it was installed on a newly formatted drive. at the moment all that is installed besides windows 7 and steam with some games is notepad++, miranda, firefox and thunderbird

bidji
10th Apr 2010, 00:17
well, I guess only the developers can help you there, then. :hmm:

kon
10th Apr 2010, 05:51
yeah i think so too. or someone very experienced with windows.

i am now already at a point where i don't even wanna try the demo because i am sure that i want that game, after seeing ingame replays etc on youtube and reading reviews.

now of course it would be tempting to buy it and then try if that works. however i really don't feel like wasting some bucks on stuff that doesn't work on my current setup.

bidji
10th Apr 2010, 19:08
buying the game wouldn't help, anyway. I got the same error with both the demo and the full game.

kon
14th Apr 2010, 09:08
is there somewhere a place to get real support like a ticket system or should this forum here be it? i paid money for the game and expect something in return. so please someone of eidos or whoever provide a solution for this problem, or at least tell us you're working on it.

Arrowslinger
14th Apr 2010, 11:17
Just curious, are any of you finding this group policy error trying to play on connections at work, school or parents ISP controlled internet?

kon
14th Apr 2010, 12:10
nope, normal internet connection (cable modem) in my appartement. never having any issues with other steam games either.

when i renamed the JustCause2.exe to something else and ran it, then the win7 policy error didn't show up but instead "the game is currently not available" steam error. Maybe that's only because the filename has to be "JustCause2.exe", but why no policy error?

Arrowslinger
14th Apr 2010, 13:32
nope, normal internet connection (cable modem) in my appartement. never having any issues with other steam games either.

when i renamed the JustCause2.exe to something else and ran it, then the win7 policy error didn't show up but instead "the game is currently not available" steam error. Maybe that's only because the filename has to be "JustCause2.exe", but why no policy error?

That is odd considering other steam games work for you?

Sorry I cant be of more help :o

Eidos Support
14th Apr 2010, 14:01
i am administrator. so it can't be the policies

It can still be the policies even if your an admin. Admins still have to follow inherited rules which are set out by the policies. If your error is telling you that you have been blocked by the group policies then that is likely where the issue stems from. Some antivirus/security software etc can change how these policies work.

You may want to take a look at this as it may help:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistasecurity/thread/a1ea2ec7-82d9-45c6-b87b-ade18755b1cc

kon
14th Apr 2010, 19:06
maybe this thread shoud be merged with http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1367427 as it seems to be the same problem in the full version and the demo.