PDA

View Full Version : Quincunx AA on PS3 version adds terrible blur

yloquen
10th Mar 2010, 14:35
Yep, I thought you guys knew how bad QAA is, after all you work closely with NVidia and are graphics experts.

ZeroXX7
10th Mar 2010, 14:40
Nvidia = PC High end Hardware

Ps3 = 5 year old hardware, and a gimped 7000 series Geforce card

hmmmmm i wonder if there could be some limitations to the platform somewhere

patticusmaximus
10th Mar 2010, 15:03
i play on pstrip and i think the graphics are sweet your just being picky ppl should stop trying to look for flaws and just enjoy the experience of just cause 2

ZeroXX7
10th Mar 2010, 15:05
i play on pstrip and i think the graphics are sweet your just being picky ppl should stop trying to look for flaws and just enjoy the experience of just cause 2

this its a fantastic game, but imo its one of the prettiest games ive seen in a long time

yloquen
10th Mar 2010, 15:06
Nvidia = PC High end Hardware

Ps3 = 5 year old hardware, and a gimped 7000 series Geforce card

hmmmmm i wonder if there could be some limitations to the platform somewhere

Well, honestly, it blows my mind how NVidia could add such a feature. Actually, I have an idea, it's from the GF2 or 3 era if memory serves me correct, when the textures were a lot lower in resolution and the resulting blur from the AA algorithm wasn't such a big factor.

But today, no one should use QAA, it's worse than no AA, and also as far as i know, 2xMSAA is roughly equal to QAA (2 samples per pixel I believe).

yloquen
10th Mar 2010, 15:08

You are correct, I also enjoyed the game. I also downloaded the PC demo and it looks better, but the game plays better with the dualshock controller, that's why I'm complaining

ZeroXX7
10th Mar 2010, 15:13
while i do agree this game is quite pretty and i would imagine quite taxing on the Ps3's hardware, IMO QAA is better when running the game at 720p scaled up to 1080p for a 1080p tv through the scaler than no AA, otherwise the jagies are a bit to much.

if it bugs you that much buy it on PC and enjoy. but due to it being on a fixed platform yeh kindasux.

could be worse, if sony had had there way there wouldn't even be a GPU in the ps3

nismo280zx
10th Mar 2010, 17:17
Zero I'm pretty sure Sony did have their way and chose the nvidia gpu due to it being more advanced at the time. Actually ms originally was going to secure a deal with nvidia but Sony beat them to it, so ms chose ati. Sorry there was a big article on it, the sad part is that nvidia wouldn't be anything if it wasn't for sega lol.

And the ps3 doesn't really use a gimped 7series, it's more on the lines of an 8series, even though it has comparable specs to a 7800gtx they couldn't be compared because the rsx would outperform it & the cell processor also does rendering. And I'm not a fanboy but I hate it when people can't do a little research and get their facts right.

QAA actually isn't that bad, it's comparable to 4xAA while only using 2xAA performance, it uses 5 samples of what would usualy be 2. And until the game is released how could you complain about looks.

ZeroXX7
10th Mar 2010, 23:01
Nismo, Sony were planning to have no GPU and run everything off of the CPU (teh Cell to ps3 fanboy's) and at the last minute they discovered that this was a monumentally bad idea so they shoved a gimped 7800Gtx, and its performance is slightly better than a 7800GTx, but thats not my point all i was saying is that while the Ps3 is a very powerful machine it does (like all hardware) have a limit, nd that it could of been worse is Sony had gone with their original plan the Ps3 would not have a dedicated GPU.