PDA

View Full Version : Getting a "Frequency Out of Range" Error

Davie
7th Mar 2010, 05:25
EDIT: I fixed it. No worries.

So, when I start the demo from Steam, my screen just goes black and I get a message from my monitor saying the "Frequency is out of range". The game still runs perfectly, I can hear the sound and move around on the menu (probably even enter the game itself if I wanted) but the monitor remains blank until I close the demo, either by blindly navigating to the quit option on the game menu, or alt+tabbing out and closing it with the task manager.

The demo ran beautifully yesterday, only today have I been having this problem. I assume this is an issue with my monitor and not the game itself, but any help would be much appreciated.

Here are my specs, if it helps:
Processor: 2.20 GHz Intel Dual CPU
RAM: 4.00 GB
GPU: ATI Radeon 4850

By the way, this doesn't happen for any other game. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

gazedo
7th Mar 2010, 08:07
How did you fix this? I am getting the same problem, though with a Nvidia message, as my card is a GTX 250.

Tarnith
7th Mar 2010, 09:16
That means your running at a refresh rate unsupported by your monitor, try forcing it to the proper setting using catalyst/nvidia control panel.

gazedo
7th Mar 2010, 10:10
I tried to force it through steam, still no avail. My card doesnt give me the option to force the refresh rate on the control panel, I'm not sure what else I can try.

compatible
7th Mar 2010, 12:44
I tried to force it through steam, still no avail. My card doesnt give me the option to force the refresh rate on the control panel, I'm not sure what else I can try.

you should be running the latest drivers from nvida , if you are you need to right click on the desktop then run nvida control panel then go to display then change resolution to your native rez and refresh rate if it is not there add a resolution tab will let you make your native resolution , once you have done this the game should pick up what the refresh rate and res is ..

gazedo
7th Mar 2010, 13:48
I have the latest available drivers, I've got my res and refresh rate at native always also, but the 'Cannot Display this Video Mode' still shows, I'm stumped.

compatible
7th Mar 2010, 14:42
I have the latest available drivers, I've got my res and refresh rate at native always also, but the 'Cannot Display this Video Mode' still shows, I'm stumped.

In the nvida control panel under 3d settings / adjust image with preview this should be set to let the 3d application decide , also you could read this topic to see if it helps : http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/251046-15-cannot-display-video-mode

erazerswe
9th Mar 2010, 03:07
Im having the same problem and have been trying to force the refresh rate/resolution but no luck. The only way im able to play is to delete the Square Enix-folder in "my documents". That way it seems the game gets back to some "default" settings that works.

Helegad
9th Mar 2010, 03:46
There should be an .ini file that can keep the settings changed the way you want it.

Red_Man
11th Mar 2010, 16:33
I have this problem too.
My monitor gives me 30 seconds to change resolution. Or it gives me same error and black screen.

Strange thing is that resolution and frequency are normal when I start the game.
I get this error when I Alt-Tab game too

Wolfdale
2nd Jun 2010, 23:50
How did you fix this? Got the same problem.
Specs
6000+
9600 gt

ElitesamuraI26
18th Jun 2010, 23:13
Don't bother asking these idiots for help because the won't help you.