PDA

View Full Version : How to return savegames?

chosenCRO
5th Mar 2010, 19:21
I have formated my windows7,install batman again and copy the savegame folders to documents--->Eidos folder...started the game and I dont see my savegames....what am I doing wrong?

Even when I create a new account and copy my old saves in the new account folder I dont see my old savegames....

http://i47.tinypic.com/ab2e04.jpg

LIGHTS
5th Mar 2010, 20:34
Hi.

If you've saved on one account, you can transfer your saved files to another folder/account/computer, but it wouldn't work because saves work only on the account it has been saved on.

chosenCRO
5th Mar 2010, 20:50
Hi.

If you've saved on one account, you can transfer your saved files to another folder/account/computer, but it wouldn't work because saves work only on the account it has been saved on.

So what? I cannot return my save games?:mad2::mad2:

LIGHTS
5th Mar 2010, 21:05
yeah.. let's say you have a duplicate of the game. if you play the first, you could transfer the saved files to the next game but you can't use it because it's not from the same game. it's the same with computers. if you transfer the saves via E-Mail, Msn, etc it still wouldn't work because it's not from the same game. it seems your only choice is to start all over.. http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/nfforums/NF%20smilies/1zn3jhs.png

chosenCRO
5th Mar 2010, 21:47
yeah.. let's say you have a duplicate of the game. if you play the first, you could transfer the saved files to the next game but you can't use it because it's not from the same game. it's the same with computers. if you transfer the saves via E-Mail, Msn, etc it still wouldn't work because it's not from the same game. it seems your only choice is to start all over.. http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/nfforums/NF%20smilies/1zn3jhs.png

First the crashes..and when I fix the crashes I cannot play from where I saved...really Eidos..pls dont make anymore games...you really suck at it...

deders
6th Mar 2010, 16:26
It's the way G4WL treats savegames, even if you use the same offline acount name after re-installing you have to start again, pointless encryption.

Laptopnut
7th Mar 2010, 18:29
What's with all of this misinformation and assumptions?

I have a new gaming laptop and copied the saved games from my old laptop and continued where I left off in Batman Arkham Asylum somewhere around 30% with no problems at all. This was on a completely new system with totally new hardware and a new installation of Windows 7 X64.

You don't only copy the Batman AA saves over, you also need to copy over the C:\Users\*YourUserName*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive folder too (which is hidden), otherwise it will not work. If you did not back up that folder than you are out of luck though.

After you have done that you then need to log into the same GFWL account in order for everything to work properly, not a new one.

Yes, GFWL does have encryption but not all games are effected by it otherwise my batman AA saves wouldn't have worked. In other titles you can load Mods that disable the GFWL encryption too.

deders
7th Mar 2010, 22:22
Has anyone figured out which g4wl folders to backup when using XP?

I think the encryption key is stored as part of the g4wl profile data, which is why it won't work if you don't back it up. Would be much simpler if we could just copy across, wouldn't have to go looking for hidden folders.

Laptopnut
8th Mar 2010, 01:18
Has anyone figured out which g4wl folders to backup when using XP?

I think the encryption key is stored as part of the g4wl profile data, which is why it won't work if you don't back it up. Would be much simpler if we could just copy across, wouldn't have to go looking for hidden folders.

Most likely C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\

deders
8th Mar 2010, 15:36
I've tried all the g4wl folders in XP but it doesn't seem to work

Laptopnut
8th Mar 2010, 16:45
I've tried all the g4wl folders in XP but it doesn't seem to work

Did you run g4wl and try to login to the same account?

deders
8th Mar 2010, 17:01
yeah would have been the same account name, but because I was transferring from XP to Vista64, the folders are different so the 2 g4wl versions aren't interchangable.

a few other people on this forum tried it with XP to XP and it failed for them, not sure what they signed in as.

Laptopnut
8th Mar 2010, 21:59
It will only work if you sign on with exactly the same GFWL account. No matter what you copy over, if you don't do that step then it will never work.

trn450
30th Mar 2010, 05:01
It's the way G4WL treats savegames, even if you use the same offline acount name after re-installing you have to start again, pointless encryption.

No, it's not G4WL. The people at G4WL explained it to me, and I believe them. E.g. Gears of War is a G4WL game, yet you can transfer the save game data.

This is an Eidos problem. We need to harass them into submission. This is the most RIDICULOUS thing ever. DRM and activation limits are bad enough, but not being able to transfer save game data makes me want to boycott them forever! Ugh!

trn450
30th Mar 2010, 05:03
It will only work if you sign on with exactly the same GFWL account. No matter what you copy over, if you don't do that step then it will never work.

Didn't work that way for me. I transfer XLive, GFWL folder, Save Data folder, used the same OS, and even named my user windows user accounts identically and I still can't use my save game data.

Laptopnut
30th Mar 2010, 13:36
Didn't work that way for me. I transfer XLive, GFWL folder, Save Data folder, used the same OS, and even named my user windows user accounts identically and I still can't use my save game data.

It also worked for this guy (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=97796) although he went from XP I think. I went from Windows 7 to Windows 7 though.

Maybe there was another step that I took that I don't remember. In that thread I linked to, he mentions a weird looking folder.

deders
31st Mar 2010, 10:28
No, it's not G4WL. The people at G4WL explained it to me, and I believe them. E.g. Gears of War is a G4WL game, yet you can transfer the save game data.

This is an Eidos problem. We need to harass them into submission. This is the most RIDICULOUS thing ever. DRM and activation limits are bad enough, but not being able to transfer save game data makes me want to boycott them forever! Ugh!

so how exactly did they explain it? I realise that a lot of g4wl savegames may be transferable, but games like gta4, dawn of war 2 and Arkham Assylum aren't, plus g4wl handles the mechanism for saving games, hence why you can't transfer savegames from (in my case) XP to Vista or vice versa on the same computer with the same login account.

bmxjumperc
24th Sep 2010, 18:52
Yah transfering the XLive folder worked great for me the key is to transfer the entire Batman AA folder from your documents / eidos folder too not just the save file alone

robertadeniro
3rd Oct 2010, 00:36
really Eidos..pls dont make anymore games...you really suck at it...

WELL SAID! BRAVO!

You don't realize there are no mods in the pc forum, what does that tell you?
Screw Eidos is what I say.

Why the need for GFWL at all? What ever happened to good old fashion in game saving?