PDA

View Full Version : AUDIO/MUSIC Something Competitive Games Have That Nosgoth Needs: An Announcer

LauraOrganaSolo
10th Mar 2014, 07:27
"First blood!"

"Killing spree!"

"Dominating!"

"M-M-M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL"

"C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER"

The iconic announcer is a staple of competitive games like arena shooters, fighting games, and MOBAs and as Nosgoth fits in with those genres, it could really use one. And who would be perfect for that role?

Simon Templeman as Kain, the effective lord of titular Nosgoth.

Although within the timeline of Nosgoth Kain is off in the time stream sorting things out with Raziel, having him sort of present in the game not as a character but as an omniscient voice works on multiple levels:

Doesn't interfere with canon but could be inferred to mean Kain is still sort of watching over things (with access to Moebius' lair and time streaming equipment, he is no doubt aware of the vampires' eventual success and downfall). Could also be taken merely as a nod to past games.

Gives players potentially useful notifications, which will be helpful in siege mode

Gives Nosgoth that eSports feel without detracting too much from the immersion

And most importantly:

Further ties Nosgoth to the rest of the series. One of the complaints I have seen from my fellow fans is that there isn't enough iconic Legacy of Kain content, even with the announcement of Dan Cabuco's forthcoming skins. I'm sure you've read the countless accusations that Nosgoth is just a competitive game with the franchise slapped onto it or that it's a cash-in. This would allows old fans to feel a closer connection to the series without disturbing canon and potentially lure disillusioned LoK fans in.

As a side note, it seems like after beta started, vampires got more vocalization referencing Kain and their progenitors (I never heard them in alpha anyway). I would love to get a few more of these for the same reasons as those listed in #4.

Tureil
10th Mar 2014, 08:49
Personally, all I think we need is more personal lines from the characters as they get kills.

Similar to the humans "So much for their immortality!" lines but with a bit more bloodlust and spiteful laughter as kill-streaks add up.
Examples:(lumping humans together because I barely play more than Hunter)
"(Barking laughter) If this keeps up I'll be staking Kain by dinner!"
"Superior, are you? How was that!?"
"The only blood you have to drink here is your own!"
-----
Turelim: "I came here hoping to find a warrior to turn!"
"None of you scum are worth the Turning."
"It's like fighting children. (chuckles)."
"You wretches aren't even worth draining."

Razielim: "Fear the wrath of Raziel!"
"Your screams are sweet to us..."
"We return from your blood! We fight on!"
"(Laughter) First you, then the Turelim! Pathetic!"

Dumahim: "You Bore me with this farce!"
"Children, hardly any sort of trophy."
"(Bellowed growl) Will none of you entertain me?!"
"You're only fit for carrion birds, worm!"

RemovedQuasar
10th Mar 2014, 09:36
Announcer on Nosgoth? Mmmmh i think that it would ruin the game lore.

I agree with Tureil, the game need more lines from the classes, lines wich make references about the Lore.

Example:

Tyrant double kill: " For Turel! The new Emperor of Nosgoth!"

RainaAudron
10th Mar 2014, 11:30
I don´t like the idea of an announcer and I think it was dismissed by the devs as not fitting already as well.

But more lines for the vampires/humans wouldn´t hurt, Sentinel repeats the thing about "there´s no quarter" quite often I must say haha :D

LauraOrganaSolo
10th Mar 2014, 14:15
I just want some measure of Kain in the game.

I am not suggesting the exact examples as above used, of course, as that wouldn't fit. They were merely iconic exmaples.

WhiteFlameKyo
10th Mar 2014, 14:18
Sentinel repeats the thing about "there´s no quarter" quite often I must say haha :D

Mine doesn't. But that's probably because I suck as sentinel.

Still, it would be cool to have more lines. I don't think an announcer would fit in the game.

MasterShuriko
10th Mar 2014, 14:32
The only "announcer" that would have fit in some way into this game would have been the Elder god voiced by the awesome Voice actor Tony Jay. May he R.I.P.

GenFeelGood
10th Mar 2014, 14:40
I would also like more lines for the vampires. When they bring in the female vampire class I would like a line for when she kills an alchemist, something along the lines, "You would've been better as a damsel in distress."

KRISMTL
10th Mar 2014, 15:05
Announcer could work. I like it. Any source on them saying it wouldn't fit, though?

Lord_Aevum
10th Mar 2014, 16:47
I'd love for Simon to record some lines as another authentic link to the LoK series. I wouldn't want him to be reduced only to an announcer role, just spilling out cheesy Soul Calibur interjections. With some longform narration for him to record alongside this, though, and sufficiently sophisticated quips in matches, I do hope your idea could become real eventually.

Inrezairo
10th Mar 2014, 17:53
I agree this is a fun game without the need for an announcer that just seems too arcade-y.

I love some of the lines Tureil suggested for the classes though! I also love the Sentinels quips when they kidnap someone, not sure if there could be more such as 'Choke on that!' for poison mist or choking haze? Or would that clog it up too much?

I had a thought of hearing Kain's voice at the end of a round depending on who you were playing and if you win.

Humans win

"The Chronoplast foretold your victory but I still say you were lucky."
"Impressive... ever considered becoming a vampire?"
"You won the battle but Nosgoth still belongs to me!"

Vampires win

"If only you knew how proud I was."
"You make your clan proud."
"Vae Victus!"

Humans lose

"Don't feel bad, it is only to be expected."
"Oh dear." (As patronizing as possible)

Vampires lose

"How can this be?!"
"Fledgling you disappoint me!"

And maybe something for overall Win or Lose although the patented 'Kain' laughter would be great here!

Hugbringer
10th Mar 2014, 23:14
Announcer during the match....the more I think about it, the more 'odd' it feels. Having the character speak different lines based on double or triple kills is enough.

If there were expanded dialog options that were incorporated into Skin purchases, THAT I would definitely be interested in.

As far as something from Simon or even Michael, if it were ever incorporated, just doing some sort of Intro into what Nosgoth is, is about as far as I'd go. Doesn't need to tie into the previous games 'that' much. People critical of the lore would get their feathers even more ruffled if those two are too involved, me thinks.

Omhxyz
11th Mar 2014, 00:26
Nevermind the announcer, +1 for the more lines.

Ygdrasel
11th Mar 2014, 02:32
I love the idea of more class and faction-specific lines.

As for an announcer...Each class having its own lines for given scenarios (double kill, triple, whatever) is a better idea but if we were going the announcer route...Kain makes little sense. Why would he bother just watching all of this? The Elder God or Moebius , maybe...They seem the sort to sit back and watch.

LauraOrganaSolo
11th Mar 2014, 03:50
I feel like I need to state that I will be one of the first people to complain about OMG MY IMMERSION should something especially out of character and canon-breaking be implemented (any wacky or seasonal skins ever, for example). I have been a diehard fan of the series for almost fourteen years, I'm exceedingly picky and... protective? of the franchise. I wouldn't want anything in a LoK game to be out of character or not fit the mood/tone.

I'd love for Simon to record some lines as another authentic link to the LoK series. I wouldn't want him to be reduced only to an announcer role, just spilling out cheesy Soul Calibur interjections. With some longform narration for him to record alongside this, though, and sufficiently sophisticated quips in matches, I do hope your idea could become real eventually.
I'm totally with you. I just think an announcer with appropriately-scripted, in-character lines is better than no Simon Templeman at all.

I am not advocating anything especially cheesy á lá Unreal Tournament or Killer Instinct, I would only want lines here and there that reflect the sophisticated and eloquent dialogue of the past games (although Blood Omen 1 does have the very silly Hamlet reference in the form of "Alas poor Nupraptor I knew him! ...well, not really" when you examine his severed head in the inventory; even less of an Easter egg than the cardboard tube or references to cheese) -- a "Vae victis" for a double kill, for example, or something about spilling or shedding blood in place of the typical "First blood."

I had a thought of hearing Kain's voice at the end of a round depending on who you were playing and if you win.
Works for me as well.

As for the question of "Why would Kain be watching?"

Why wouldn't he come back to check on how Nosgoth is deteriorating occasionally? Kain knows vampires will come out on top in the end and it doesn't strike me as especially out of character to have a "You've made your bed now lie in it" attitude when it comes to his sons making foolish, selfish mistakes like the in-fighting that led to the human uprising to begin with. I imagine the "story" of Nosgoth ends with Kain eventually uniting the clans again and leading them to victory over the humans (although can anyone else picture Kain taking a Darwinian approach and waiting for war to weed out the weakest vampires before uniting the clans and crushing humanity?), eventually relegating them to a couple of cities and being kept as cattle to feed the empire. This is not something we will see in the game of course but I think this is the logical conclusion based on what we see during Soul Reaver.

CoOkiedude
11th Mar 2014, 08:06
I feel sad that I thought of this but I wanted to post it nonetheless. As a kill/Spree/etc announcer there's only one person that would surpass even Kain/Simon Templeman for this specific role.The Elder God/ Tony Jay,God rest his soul. We miss you man. I miss you. Awesome idea Laura I totally support this.

Lirka_
11th Mar 2014, 10:27
I think the game should get an intro movie showcasing when Nosgoth takes place and why. With Kain narrating the events that lead to the game.

As an announcer? nah.

Khalith
11th Mar 2014, 11:09
I think the game should get an intro movie showcasing when Nosgoth takes place and why. With Kain narrating the events that lead to the game.

As an announcer? nah.

I've been thinking about this lately. A massive epic CG trailer, showing some freed slaves from the blood pens growing up to be a scout, hunter, and alchemist opposite a group of vampires, maybe the humans should recognize one as a risen former relative now a fledgling. Maybe show one of the freed slaves die spurring the other ones in to some heroic rage moments, groups of tyrants charging through the humans, each one eventually falling to the ground as he is battered with arrows, the shooting hunters disappearing one by one as they are tackled and killed by reavers, the alchemists suddenly driving the tyrants and reavers back only to have a few fall from some backstabbing Deceivers or carried off by some sentinels. End it with the humans forming a defensive line as the vampires charge.

It fades to black with the symbol and name of the game appearing followed by the question "which side are you on?" I can dream can't I!?

LauraOrganaSolo
14th Mar 2014, 02:11
An epic CG trailer with Simon Templeman and Michael Bell voice-overs is an absolute necessity. I mean I just thought it was a given, like it didn't even need be suggested because seriously -- everything in Khalith's post basically. And Lirka_.

Kazimira
14th Mar 2014, 04:31
Perhaps if there's an announcer of some kind humans should get moebious and vampires kain. Both know the outcome but both might be watching and trying to spur thair own side on or lessen the blow of the inevitable.

Tureil
14th Mar 2014, 04:43
An epic CG trailer with Simon Templeman and Michael Bell voice-overs is an absolute necessity. I mean I just thought it was a given, like it didn't even need be suggested because seriously -- everything in Khalith's post basically. And Lirka_.

Simon Templeman, certainly. Michael Bell? No. I don't think so.