PDA

View Full Version : dx9 pc version??

STOCKMAN
4th Mar 2010, 22:40
Does anyone know if there will be a dx9 pc version in the future? I have Athlon X2 4400 2,2 ghz 2 GB RAM 8800 GT 512 and i am still on xp. I dont have money to buy a new pc for now and i want to play the game so bad please dear eidos release a dx9 version so evryone can play this great game!!:):):)

By making the game a dx 10 exculsive most people will not be able to play it and then eidos will blame piracy for pc verson low sales when in reality it will be their own mistake.....

So please eidos release a dx9 version of the game!!

jaywalker2309
4th Mar 2010, 22:44
The game requires DX10 as its base.. unfortunately there are no plans to support DX9 am afraid

mixterz
5th Mar 2010, 00:25
Does anyone know if there will be a dx9 pc version in the future? I have Athlon X2 4400 2,2 ghz 2 GB RAM 8800 GT 512 and i am still on xp. I dont have money to buy a new pc for now and i want to play the game so bad please dear eidos release a dx9 version so evryone can play this great game!!:):):)

By making the game a dx 10 exculsive most people will not be able to play it and then eidos will blame piracy for pc verson low sales when in reality it will be their own mistake.....

So please eidos release a dx9 version of the game!!
I have the same computer as you, and running windows 7 64-bit.. ok, i have 8800GTS but it's kinda the same as yours.. The graphics card support directx 10, so just buy vista or 7 :D

BLaZiNgSPEED
5th Mar 2010, 00:34
No, in the future it will be even less likelier for them to make it support DX 9.0.
DX 9.0 would be ancient by then since DirectX 12 will come on the way.:lmao:

Then we'll need DX 11 cards to run them at minimum. I would be surprised if by the time DX 12 comes whether DX 10 will be supported, let alone 9.0.:scratch:

pleomax
5th Mar 2010, 07:54
It won't move that fast.

The consoles graphics are basically dx9 so i don't see it being dropped until theirs a new generation of consoles, since all games are basically made for consoles.

I've had my dx10 card for three years and their is still only a handful of dx10 games.

Crysis was used to shift dx10 cards when they were first released, now games like Dirt 2 are being used to shift dx11 cards, it's all a bit of a con really just to sell their cards.

teffmyster
5th Mar 2010, 08:19
pleomax, Just shut up. I see you trolling around the forums, "Oh its direct X 10, bad bad bad". I can tell you that thats bull****. I custom built a very good system a few years ago, plays Just Cause 2 on max, NO PROBLEMS and steady frame-rate! Its plays better then Far Cry 2 and it looks great. And you know what, its because console people like YOU that game designers are pushed to make ***** weak old technology games. I for one cannot wait for Direct X 11 as it will bring photo realistic graphics even closer, but you just think about the now and how your ancient cheap computer cant play a greatly designed and optimized game.

STOCKMAN
5th Mar 2010, 11:08
The game requires DX10 as its base.. unfortunately there are no plans to support DX9 am afraid

it seems like Square enix dosent care about pc gaming right?

STOCKMAN
5th Mar 2010, 11:10
I have the same computer as you, and running windows 7 64-bit.. ok, i have 8800GTS but it's kinda the same as yours.. The graphics card support directx 10, so just buy vista or 7 :D

When you say " i have the same computer as you" .... do you mean you have the same cpu same ram and a bit more powerful gpu? have you tested JC2? Does it runs well on your system? do you think i will be able to play jc 2 at playble speeds on my current computer if i upgrade to windows 7? is it worth change os becasue of jc2 or it is better for me to wait until more dx10 only games released??

kirisute
5th Mar 2010, 12:43

it seems like pc gamers dont realise when to move to new technology. Argue all you want about XP still being great. FACT is that it is old technology and with Windows 7 now being more than able to hold its own against it in terms of FPS and Stability there is very little sense in keeping a 10 year old operating system holding you back when designing a "next gen" game.

its a move that has split the opc community for sure. but its a brave move and its about bloody time it happened!
ive been an IT Tech for the last 15 years and Windows 7 is far more stable and user friendly than XP ever was!
its time it was put to bed! and ive got nothing but praise for any company that has the bollox to say "no more"!
more power to them!

having said all that i have a core2duo system with 2 gig of ram and Win7 on it running an 8800gt card and i can happily play the demo at a good 30 fps with occasional drops..at 1440 res with a couple of settings on high and few lesser tweaks, like no AA and a low anisotropic filter settings and low shadows. so sure Upgarde, chances are you wont regret it simply because W7 is superb, and you will be able to play JC2..which is also superb!

jaywalker2309
5th Mar 2010, 14:21

Of course we care.. wouldnt be posting if we didnt..

DirectX 9 has been a standard for a very long time, having been around since 2002.. so its kinda unsurprising that with DX10, DX10.1 and DX11 now offering real improvements that over time it will fade as a supported standard.

Windows 7 finally offers consumers an OS with real `replace XP potential` so you will definitely find more games switching to requiring DX10.

I remember when Win 95 was killed off as a supported OS, it caused uproar and people cried, but didnt take long before people forgot all about it, now XP will last a lot longer then 95 did, but for a gaming platform it will fade.

kirisute
5th Mar 2010, 14:48

DirectX 9 has been a standard for a very long time, having been around since 2002.. so its kinda unsurprising that with DX10, DX10.1 and DX11 now offering real improvements that over time it will fade as a supported standard.

Windows 7 finally offers consumers an OS with real `replace XP potential` so you will definitely find more games switching to requiring DX10.

I remember when Win 95 was killed off as a supported OS, it caused uproar and people cried, but didnt take long before people forgot all about it, now XP will last a lot longer then 95 did, but for a gaming platform it will fade.

well spoken sir! and i salute you for having the courage to do it!
its a shame more DEVS didnt take the plunge.

chip5541
5th Mar 2010, 14:59
Technology marches forever onward. Adapt or forever be relegated to the past. :scratch:

Where the heck did that come from :scratch: :nut:

STOCKMAN
5th Mar 2010, 16:26

When i asked if Square enix cares for pc i was refering to Square enix Japan...

I know that Eidos/Square enix london is a big pc supporter as 99% of their games are on pc but i can not say the same for Square enix Japan as they release nothing on pc.
This must Change. The only Japan developer who cares about the pc is Capcom and you know it!:)

Killaz916
25th Mar 2010, 08:50
If you guys were in it to satisfy customers or profit, you would had made a DX9 and DX10 compliant version, Most people still have Windows XP because Windows 7 is still not good enough for people. Not because their hardware sucks because i have a i7 quad core beast, with every requirement to run that stupid windows 7, but i choose not to because it has many problems. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

What i seek out of this post is a reason why you didnt make a patch for the game to use DX9 or DX10.

look at Metro 2033 uses higher graphics and uses DX9,10,11. Wow, was it hard for them to do it, not really. I can name of quite alot of games that use multi DirectX.

You guys could also make more profit doing this too. But You guys don't care. Seriously if you did care you would do it, its that simple.

I wont be buying this game for the PC because i use Windows XP, or until you patch it or until i upgrade which wont be for a good longtime, by that time it will be a 10 dollar download on steam.

Really I'm ashame of Eidos on this one, you guys have never failed on pleasing the customers, but now you have. I hope you like upsetting almost 50% of the steam community. But hell as long as you guys beat your quota your all happy right.

jaywalker2309
25th Mar 2010, 09:11
Sorry you feel that way, but this game was developed from the beginning to take advantage of DX10, and Vista/Windows 7.. Technology in PC's moves much faster then consoles which obviously doesnt change much except for software updates..

PC users will always feel aggrieved when things change, but change HAS to happen.. it IS happening..

We do care about our consumers by the way. If we didnt we wouldnt be on here.

Krocsyldiphic
25th Mar 2010, 09:31
When you say " i have the same computer as you" .... do you mean you have the same cpu same ram and a bit more powerful gpu? have you tested JC2? Does it runs well on your system? do you think i will be able to play jc 2 at playble speeds on my current computer if i upgrade to windows 7? is it worth change os becasue of jc2 or it is better for me to wait until more dx10 only games released??

I think it will work. But just give it a try, I think you can install windows 7 for some days without activating it (am I wrong?). It takes up less disk space than the game, you can install it on a different partition. If it does not work out you still have XP. Check out the game, if you are satisfied you can get an activation code for Windows7.

To all the others:
I think it's a fraction of people that have the DX10 hardware and have not yet installed an OS that is DX10 capable. According to the Steam survey, 60% have Vista or Windows7, 40% still run windows XP.
From those 40%, only a fraction own the hardware to play these kind of high end games.

Killaz916
25th Mar 2010, 09:52
Well you see, i don't understand this if you cared you wouldn't be here, if you cared a patch would be out, it doesn't effect the game in anyway but add support. Also I have windows 7 retail right out of the store, and i don't use it because i don't want to until many fixes are out.

Also explain to me this "Sorry you feel that way, but this game was developed from the beginning to take advantage of DX10, and Vista/Windows 7" When checking information for this game it said Windows that was it. I wouldnt be as upset if this was specified early on like when the game was announced. But i dont recall any information stating that until around February 24th. I may be wrong, but i recall 2 months ago the only information on alot of sites was this. Windows/Xbox360/PlayStation3. Hmm that look awesome that tells me one thing Yes i can play it on my pc, (no i cant play it on my PC.)

Last but not least again might i ask why you dont want to release a DX9 Patch for users? There is no real reason is there, just hey guys let move up in the world with our cool Win7 that breaks alot.

Also wheres this proof that a out of that 42% that use XP not have the requirements to play this game? First off your assuming and not getting real proof, i dont know if they do or don't, but i do know is Eidos don't want that 42% to even have a real chance at playing it.

Also why install Window 7 on a partition just to play this game, that is the most retarded thing i've heard today. If i ever do a dual boot with WinXP and Win7 it will be when Windows 7 gets it crap together and only when i really need it, Would you go buy a PS3 for this game, seriously Not to knock you down, but i wouldn't i would only buy it when theres like 7-10 games i want. But thats a whole different story i used that as a example of why i wouldn't goto win7.

Lets end this charade, all i want to know is where a DX9 Patch is not considered when it takes not alot of effort. Even 3rd party people do it. Not to be a prick but thats all i want to know.

MrExplosive
25th Mar 2010, 10:59
I used Vista for over 2 years, barely had any problems. A lot of people think it's crap. I don't, it worked fine for me.

Now I've been using Windows 7 for a few weeks, have had zero poblems so far. I think it's the best Windows OS of all.

What exactly needs to be fixed so badly that you refuse to even install it? :scratch:

Deadman
25th Mar 2010, 11:32
Lets end this charade, all i want to know is where a DX9 Patch is not considered when it takes not alot of effort. Even 3rd party people do it. Not to be a prick but thats all i want to know.

Wow, I didn't know you had inside information about JC2 and how hard it would be to change it to Dx9.

Or are you suggesting if one game can do something, all games can? If so your naivety of coding is overwhelming

Killaz916
25th Mar 2010, 11:54
I'll await your response jaycw2309, to the rest of you this topic is about a DirectX 9 Compliant PC Version but yet you all go off topic asking someone who comes in and says why no xp version. Keep your fanboyish comments to yourself please. and your prick like comments to yourself too also.

@Deadman your a fool, im not even gonna answer that question.

P.S. If theres no official patch a unofficial patch will probably come sooner or later.

Deadman
25th Mar 2010, 12:11
Those with no answers seldom give answers.

As for the answers you seek, you already got them but refuse to see.

But hey, you can call me a fool, it only makes you look foolish ;)

Jaxc
25th Mar 2010, 12:17
look at Metro 2033 uses higher graphics and uses DX9,10,11. Wow, was it hard for them to do it, not really. I can name of quite alot of games that use multi DirectX.

im guessing directx is like a program languge, older versions doesnt have support for newer commands etc.

Also i don't understand the hate against win7, I used it for a few months and I had no problems at all.

compatible
25th Mar 2010, 12:20
humm im still waitng for your facts about windows 7 having problems , also why did you bye windows 7 if you new you didnt like it ?

sjaak327
25th Mar 2010, 12:27
If you guys were in it to satisfy customers or profit, you would had made a DX9 and DX10 compliant version, Most people still have Windows XP because Windows 7 is still not good enough for people. Not because their hardware sucks because i have a i7 quad core beast, with every requirement to run that stupid windows 7, but i choose not to because it has many problems. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

What i seek out of this post is a reason why you didnt make a patch for the game to use DX9 or DX10.

You guys could also make more profit doing this too. But You guys don't care. Seriously if you did care you would do it, its that simple.

I wont be buying this game for the PC because i use Windows XP, or until you patch it or until i upgrade which wont be for a good longtime, by that time it will be a 10 dollar download on steam.

Really I'm ashame of Eidos on this one, you guys have never failed on pleasing the customers, but now you have. I hope you like upsetting almost 50% of the steam community. But hell as long as you guys beat your quota your all happy right.

Sorry, but apparently I"m a fool. I have said goodbye to XP more then three years ago, when Vista hit the shelves and I have never looked back. The problem you are going to face is that Microsoft will do the same in less then three years, and they have actually been very very lenient about it. Let's face it, XP by design has caused them massive security problems. It is by design a unsecure OS, drive by downloads, running as admin (otherwise half of the apps don't run properly) and a dated GUI. Now compare that to Vista and Windows 7, where UAC (along with file and registry virtualisation, sandbox for IE7 and IE8) provides ample security, a nice looking 21st century GUI, and most major applications running absolutely fine on it, I don't really understand anyone still running XP. Especially as a gamer, there is no reason whatsoever for still running that dinosaur.

Now gaming companies move on as well, so I fully support them for not making games compatible for XP anymore, not only becauses it cost money to support them, but possibly also means not being able to use newer technology. XP code base is from 2001, where in 2010 now, enough said really.

ZombieSkydiver
25th Mar 2010, 12:37
I applaud the developers of Just Cause 2 for having nixed XP support. The more they have to spread themselves out to meet old requirements, the less polished the game becomes. Just look at the games from a couple years ago that just HAD to have PS2 ports for some reason. Those games always suffered because the dev's get spread too thin.

XP is old now, very outdated. DX9 had a very good, long run but it's day has come and gone. DX10 had a short run but will be good for a couple years yet, I'd imagine.

To the OP, you have a pretty decent PC, you just need a new OS. Off a site like ncix.com, you can buy an OEM copy of either Vista or 7 for like 130 dollars. Can't beat that! (unless you go Linux, but of course the amount of hoops you need to jump through just to watch a movie on that OS isn't worth the switch, much less trying to run Steam through WINE.)

Killaz916
25th Mar 2010, 12:41
Look at you all flame and talk about things that have no meaning, learn how to use a forum, the topic states one thing and only one thing. DX9 PC Version.

Deadman
25th Mar 2010, 12:43
Look at you all flame and talk about things that have no meaning, learn how to use a forum, the topic states one thing and only one thing. DX9 PC Version.

That's exactly what we're all talking about, but you passively (and sometimes not so passively) flame and act all superior and refuse to see the truth that has been repeatedly pointed out in this thread and many others.

sjaak327
25th Mar 2010, 12:46

There isn't going to be a DX9 version, pure and simple. Minium is DX10 take it or leave it, don't slagg off a company for taking this understandable step. Vista and 7 support DX10, install either of them and play the game, otherwise you are out of luck, it is THAT simple.

jaywalker2309
25th Mar 2010, 12:50
Killaz916 - you have been very rude on this forum and its totally uncalled for..

To answer your question, there wont be a DirectX9 patch as DirectX9 simply doesnt offer the facilities that the game engine/graphics require..

JC2 is built on a custom engine, not a commercially available one like Unreal or Source etc..

The JC2 engine is built on DX10 as its base, so cannot be downgraded to work on DirectX9..

As is always the way with the ever resourceful PC community, am sure there will be people who will probably attempt to create a `unofficial` DX9 hack to enable it to work on older hardware, however i seriously doubt it will be 100% successful thanks to the advances that DX10 has over 9.

Killaz916
25th Mar 2010, 13:00
Thanks for answering my question.

Menthalion
26th Mar 2010, 11:15
If you have a reasonable computer (and if you want to play JC2, you'll have to), you will be able to run 7 instead of XP just fine.

I upgraded my GF's 8 year old computer (Athlon XP 2000, Nvidia 6600) to 7, and only after minor tweaking (disabling Aero and disabling advanced audio processing) it runs as nice as XP ever did, even with the pretty heavy photoshop stuff she does.

I never was a fan of Vista due to the insane resource use, but ran a heavily tweaked version of the much leaner server 2008 as my OS. It worked great, even for games, benching over most similar setups in Vista. Seems MS learned a lot from the people in the Windows 2008 workstation community, since 7 is basically identical in resource use. So I went to 7 and never looked back.

RunningBare
26th Mar 2010, 12:18
While I am a Windows 7 user with a DirectX 11 enabled graphics card, it would have been more profitable if Eidos had made the game backward compatible to DX9, a lot of people are not ready to jump into Vista or Windows 7, but I'm guessing the biggest chunk of profit will come from console users.