PDA

View Full Version : capped at 30fps??

joe pineapples
4th Mar 2010, 19:18
Just tried the demo. Game menu is 60fps (as i expected/vsync on). In game is capped at 30fps - confirmed with fraps. WTH?

Latest 196.75 nvidia drivers, W7 64bit.

bakalhau
4th Mar 2010, 19:29
The v-sync included with this game is plain annoying.

It's not capped at 30fps, it's your rig that can't keep up churning out 60fps, so when it drops below that the game switches automatically to 30fps. If you look at the ground you'll see it immediately jumps to 60fps, only to go back to 30fps again when you look at the mountains.

It's annoying to constantly go from 30 to 60 to 30 to 60 to 30. Why can't they include a normal v-sync option and a 30fps v-sync option, along with off?

joe pineapples
4th Mar 2010, 19:38
Tried it and you're right (thx). How mental. I guess if thats how it will be in the full game, then it wont be for me.

Q6600 @3.4ghz
GTX 280
4gig ram

With the quality of gfx i see on the screen, i would want around 50-60fps. Oh well.

bakalhau
4th Mar 2010, 19:45
I have a GTX285. Edit: And a Core i7 920.

Have you enabled the GPU Water Rendering option (or something similar)? The options that makes water look much better. I get stuttering when doing 180 turns with that enabled, I gotta turn it off to play smoothly =/

joe pineapples
4th Mar 2010, 19:57
Its really the 30fps frame rate that i cant stand - it just looks plain awful, and not something i could put up with tbh. Noticed as wel, a sort of dark fuzz/halo around the bottom part of his legs, visble against the sand - seperate from his shadow, and none directional.

Not sure how they expect people to judge the engines performance, with this crazy 60 or 30 system in place. Surely this will be addressed before the final game - madness if not.

The water GPU option makes no impact, at least as far as i've bothered to play it (which isnt very far at all with the 30fps)

bakalhau
4th Mar 2010, 20:18
Where I started it didn't stutter, but when I jumped down and (probably) when I was somewhat closer to water it did that quite a lot. That shadow is a feature of the PC version...

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/just-cause-2/11068

Not sure if it's good though -.-

DjParagon
4th Mar 2010, 20:43
That's weird, I don't have the full graphics on, some stuff are off like extra water, extra shadows, vsync, and other are on like soft shadows, occlusion, etc... and I got like 285 fps in the menu, and between 28 fps (full explosive action) and 85 fps (parachuting around, walking in desert) in game.

Got a Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz, 3 gig RAM, 9800 GTX, playing 4/3 1280x960 AAx4 aniso x16

Heliosicle
4th Mar 2010, 21:02
Try turning off vsync, it doesnt improve it that much, plus it gets rid of the framelock and the annoying mouse lag (I haven't had it on at all so I dunno if thats present)

I've got an HD 5770, 4gb ram, 3ghz phenom x4, running all on max 4xaa 16xas and 1650x1050

jaywalker2309
4th Mar 2010, 22:20
Have you all updated your graphic drivers?

Vsync on will obviously cap your framerate as thats kinda the point of the function :) if it cannot reach the 60fps cap it will drop to 30.. thats kinda normal.. how did u think it would work? that you could set what fps you wanted it to stick to?

bakalhau
4th Mar 2010, 22:57
How did I think it would work? Like in the other 98% of the games that come out. V-sync caps the framerate at 60, if the framerate drops to 55 it stays at 55, that's how it usually is. And if you want to add a 30fps option, the best option is to try and make it like even 7 year old games like Halo 1 did. They provided a 30fps option (if you could hit 60 but had a lot of frame drops and wanted a smooth performance), a On option (capped at 60, doesn't cap at 30 when frames drop, for those that could maintain the framerate) and a off option.

Anyway, I disabled v-sync. Much better performance even if that means sometimes the framerate will drop to 50. I do get some tearing when I'm at 60+ but oh well.

V-sync is to limit the framerate to your monitor's refresh rate, so you won't get tearing, not todrop you performance in half every time your video card drops 5 frames down from 60.

joe pineapples
4th Mar 2010, 23:18
What bakalhau said.

jaywalker2309
4th Mar 2010, 23:45
Vsync by definition means synced to the refresh rate, which is almost always 60hz on a monitor, the problem as you point out comes if you dont hit 60.. the game has to have a logical level to drop back to.. why 55? what happens if you cannot hit 55? the only way the system would work based on how you suggest it is if it did a benchmark of the whole game and then decided what your max framerate could be then fix it to that, but since thats not possible the game has to have preset limits, 60/30/24 etc.. yes its a very console concept but i think you'll find almost all multiplatform engines do this now.

bakalhau
5th Mar 2010, 01:15
I didn't mean I wanted it capped at 55 instead of 30. I meant in most games that come out on PC (to be honest, nearly all of them), if your frames drop from 60 to 55, it stays at 55. If it drops to 47, it stays at 47. If it drops to 33, it stays at 33. And if it drops to 58, it stays at 58. It stays at whatever my PC can handle, it does not get cut in half. Why does my game get cut in half to 30fps if I drop to 55 (for example)? I can barely notice it has gone to 55 when it happens in other games, yet here you made it so it goes to 30.

The way you guys made it are turning a what is a BARELY discernible difference to us of 3-8 frames per second into a FULL 30fps difference EVERY TIME our PCs drop 2 frames.

The game does not need to have to drop back to anything - just simply leave the frames untouched and let me have whatever my PC is hitting instead of 30.

Can you imagine what is feels like to during 5 seconds get the whole game running at 30 instead of 55, only to then go back to 60 again? And then back to 30 some 20 seconds later? It's a HUGE difference. It disorientates, it affects gameplay, aiming, driving, it's a way too big hit.

In summary: We want v-sync to cap the framerate at 60, and that is all we want from it. We do not want the v-sync option in the game to cut to 30fps whenever we're NOT hitting 60. I hope I'm being clear.

(and bear in mind although I may be sounding agressive, I'm really not, I just go directly to the point).;)

Techguy
5th Mar 2010, 01:17
Easily fixed. Get Rivatuner and use D3DOverride to set Vsync and Triplebuffering and turn off Vsync in game. Runs a bit better now.

**Edit** Or, don't even use D3DOverrider and just force Vsync from your graphics card control panel.

joe pineapples
5th Mar 2010, 13:29
yes its a very console concept but i think you'll find almost all multiplatform engines do this now.
I've played a lot of pc games, and tried demos of the rest (including cross platform), and this is defintely the first time I've come across this,......so would have to disagree.

bakalhau
5th Mar 2010, 14:32
I have only found this on Devil May Cry 4 and I have over 50 games ranging from 2001 to 2010.

oceanclub
5th Mar 2010, 15:37
Easily fixed. Get Rivatuner and use D3DOverride to set Vsync and Triplebuffering and turn off Vsync in game. Runs a bit better now.

**Edit** Or, don't even use D3DOverrider and just force Vsync from your graphics card control panel.

Would be good if someone can verify this fix works for JC2.

Cheers,

P.

joe pineapples
5th Mar 2010, 16:38
Bakalhau, I've just had it working with vsync enabled, and the framerate was behaving as it ought to - ie, it will hold at whatever framerate it can manage @60 or anything below that. Heres how...........

Dropped back to 196.21 drivers earlier today (after nvidia announced a potential problem with the new 196.75's). Went into NV control panel and set vsync force on, triple buffer on (as i always do), and loaded JC2 up. Framerate was behaving itself, but realised i hadnt got vysnc enabled - loadsa ripple/tearing (so nvidia 'force on' option didnt seem to be working). Paused the game, set game option to vsync on, and no more ripple, and most importanly no more moronic 60 or 30fps. Now this is how it should work - actually enjoying playing it a bit now :cool:.

(Btw, i never had it happen in DMC4. so not sure on that one:confused:.)

chickenchief
5th Mar 2010, 16:47
I noticed something while testing some stuff out. It seems like the game engine does not have that high of a framerate. possibly because of the size of the map, but i set everything on low just to check and i got a fps of around 50-60. And my specs are pretty good.

Geforce 260
i5 quad core
4 gigs of ram

The game takes quite a hit on framerate when you are on ground, but it is fine whenever i am grappling around.

joe pineapples
5th Mar 2010, 16:52
Bakalhau, I've just had it working with vsync enabled, and the framerate was behaving as it ought to - ie, it will hold at whatever framerate it can manage @60 or anything below that. Heres how...........

Dropped back to 196.21 drivers earlier today (after nvidia announced a potential problem with the new 196.75's). Went into NV control panel and set vsync force on, triple buffer on (as i always do), and loaded JC2 up. Framerate was behaving itself, but realised i hadnt got vysnc enabled - loadsa ripple/tearing (so nvidia 'force on' option didnt seem to be working). Paused the game, set game option to vsync on, and no more ripple, and most importanly no more moronic 60 or 30fps. Now this is how it should work - actually enjoying playing it a bit now :cool:.

(Btw, i never had it happen in DMC4. so not sure on that one:confused:.)

*UPDATE* Loaded the game again and it was back to 60/30:rolleyes:. Went to game options and turned off vsync, swtich back to game, switch back to game options, enabled it again, and all working once more.:thumb:

dayd41
5th Mar 2010, 16:54
Just tried the demo. Game menu is 60fps (as i expected/vsync on). In game is capped at 30fps - confirmed with fraps. WTH?

Latest 196.75 nvidia drivers, W7 64bit.

OOO It looks like your Graphics card is going to get fried dude... look:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/nvidia-pulls-196-75-driver-amid-reports-its-frying-graphics-car/?s=t5

Its from engadget, and it states those who have the driver 196.75 will have fried graphics cards eventually :/

joe pineapples
5th Mar 2010, 17:04
OOO It looks like your Graphics card is going to get fried dude... look:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/nvidia-pulls-196-75-driver-amid-reports-its-frying-graphics-car/?s=t5

Its from engadget, and it states those who have the driver 196.75 will have fried graphics cards eventually :/
hehe, doubt it as i use a third party tool to manually set the fan speed. But reverted back to the previous drivers anyway, just incase (though i wouldnt mind making a claim for damages with nvidia ;))

bakalhau
5th Mar 2010, 20:10
And my video card with the latest drivers keeps the fan at 40% even when playing JC2, factory overclocked, so no problems about JC2 frying video cards.

That trick doesn't work for me - I'm still with then ew drivers, could this be the reason?

joe pineapples
5th Mar 2010, 23:11
That trick doesn't work for me - I'm still with the new drivers, could this be the reason?
Only one way to find out bud :). Can tell you it has worked every time for me (4 times I've tried it)

snowatom
5th Apr 2010, 07:48
Hi

I have just played through the storie missions, and I love this game. That is why I hate how the Vsync is working in Just Cause 2. If I use D3Doverrider, it is a whole other game, everything runs smooth, and drops to 45fps when it is pushed hard. I can even set object details and other stuff to very high and still have a nice fps. It still stays at 60fps almost all the time.

The drop between 60 - 30fps, is totally crap. Please make a patch to the game, where one can choose Triple Buffer in the graphic setting menu. Then one would not be dependent on a thirdparty program, that does a better job, than what the game itself can do.

There are two reasons why I play on a PC, and not a console.

1. I need my mouse
2. I hate 30fps, gotta run smooth, at least 50fps.
Now that's a Just Cause!!!..

P.S. For those of you that uses D3Doverrider, you have to change the Vsync in the game to on or off, dosen't matter. You just have to make a change to the Vsync setting in the game, otherwise the D3Doverrider, strange as it is dosen't do it's job.
OR
You can start the game, TAB your way back to windows, while the game is running, and then turn on D3Doverrider

Please don't just port the game from Console version, I love how they ported GTA4, and see what a success that became on a PC.

snowatom

craney
5th Apr 2010, 08:50
As vsync sets the graphics card to refresh at the same rate as the monitor is there any monitors out there that have a refresh rate of 100+? mine is only 60, if i turn vsync off i can get 100fps but with tearing on the screen of course

jelbo
5th Apr 2010, 10:09
The D3DOverrider trick does the job people. No tearing and no switching to 30 fps when framedrops occur. Just make sure vsync is off in JC2's settings.

Whitestar
5th Apr 2010, 11:19
[QUOTE=joe pineapples;1298166]I've played a lot of pc games, and tried demos of the rest (including cross platform), and this is defintely the first time I've come across this,......so would have to disagree.

Same here. This is the first time I have heard of this.

RunningBare
5th Apr 2010, 11:40
Yeah, about a week ago I thought something was wrong with my rig when I saw the framerate cut in half to 30, I had just purchased the HD5870 and it freaked me thinking the card had failed somehow, the same day I added JC2 to D3DOverrider list and it worked great, btw, if anyone is wondering, I have global settings set to vsync off triple buffering off as I found the default on to cause problems with some software.
But I am curious, why the forced 30fps cap?, and there is also a launch option "/dxbuffers=n" default is 1 do any of you know what this does?

EvolutionSn1per
5th Apr 2010, 12:35
Try turning off vsync, it doesnt improve it that much, plus it gets rid of the framelock and the annoying mouse lag (I haven't had it on at all so I dunno if thats present)

I've got an HD 5770, 4gb ram, 3ghz phenom x4, running all on max 4xaa 16xas and 1650x1050

It is annoying, but nothing is more annoying to me than not having vSync on. A lot of people don't even know what vSync does, but I refuse to turn it off. I would rather have everything else on low than turn off vSync.

Deadman
5th Apr 2010, 13:01
Vsync by definition means synced to the refresh rate, which is almost always 60hz on a monitor, the problem as you point out comes if you dont hit 60.. the game has to have a logical level to drop back to..

That's just where you're wrong.
And the fact that we have to use a third party program to get a proper v-sync in place of JC2's bizarre version of v-sync should tell you something.
When your fps drops from 60 to 55 for a few seconds, it's barely noticable, but when it instead drops to 30 for those seconds it's a giant difference.

BTW OP
You can actually lock it to 30fps, and the performance does indeed feel a lot better as it doesn't do that stupid jumping around.
Heres (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20403913&postcount=222) how to do it:
And here's a tweak guide (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=104723&highlight=tweak)

RunningBare
5th Apr 2010, 13:22
The options are there to override, just not in menu, you have to set them in properties, I just tested these settings benchmarking in the concrete jungle and got an average of 45fps with JC2 removed from D3DOverrider, my settings are
/frameratecap=60 <-- I think this one overrides the 30fps cap that happens when things get heavy.
/dxbuffers=3 <--- this one appears to do the same job as D3DOverrider but not sure, maybe someone can confirm?
/vsync=1

So far it seems to work for me, but I've not tested extensively.
For the steam version, right click the game, select properties then on the general tab, select launch options, each option must be seperated by a space eg /vsync=1[space]/frameratecap=60

snowatom
5th Apr 2010, 15:06
Hi RunningBare

I had hoped so much that your discovery would do the trick, but sadly no, it still jumps back to 30fps, but not quite as much, or maybe it was just because of the place I was when I tested it.

snowatom

jaywalker2309
6th Apr 2010, 07:02
So far it seems to work for me, but I've not tested extensively.
For the steam version, right click the game, select properties then on the general tab, select launch options, each option must be seperated by a space eg /vsync=1[space]/frameratecap=60

Still worries me how you say `For the steam version` when there ONLY is the steam version unless you are using a crack pirated version.. :(

RunningBare
6th Apr 2010, 13:11
Still worries me how you say `For the steam version` when there ONLY is the steam version unless you are using a crack pirated version.. :(I have a fully legit copy purchased from Steam, no I was not aware there is only a Steam version, I know why you think such after that other thread discussion, but I can tell you straight up, every game I have has been purchased and paid for, obviously we cannot discuss the other means of obtaining games because it's not allowed here, but it's something I did not have to do with JC2 because they put out one of the best damn demos I have ever seen.

teffmyster
6th Apr 2010, 13:31
Lol noone was accusing you or anything :p

RunningBare
6th Apr 2010, 16:46
Lol noone was accusing you or anything :pHe does not have to accuse, he knows from another discussion, his statement was fair. :cool:

mrvirginia
6th Apr 2010, 18:07
awesome information in this thread. thanks guys!

jaywalker2309
7th Apr 2010, 09:32
I have a fully legit copy purchased from Steam, no I was not aware there is only a Steam version, I know why you think such after that other thread discussion, but I can tell you straight up, every game I have has been purchased and paid for, obviously we cannot discuss the other means of obtaining games because it's not allowed here, but it's something I did not have to do with JC2 because they put out one of the best damn demos I have ever seen.

Glad to hear it.. :)

ChaK_
8th Apr 2010, 13:46
I had the exact same problem at first.

My AA was a x4, I went down to x2, and only that. I'm now at around 50/60 fps by just changing that setting.

q9650/hd4890/5gb

wirds but made the trick for me