PDA

View Full Version : Are you excited about Lara croft and the Guardian of light?

Gemma_Darkmoon_
4th Mar 2010, 16:18
Seems quite a surprise to hear of this new Lara based release. I wasn't expecting it.

Just wondered what your initial reaction is. Are you excited about the new game?

Danzaiver
4th Mar 2010, 16:39
I'm not a big Lara Croft fan. So is this like a Tomb Rider right? I vote "I am not sure till I get more information on it".

angelus0901
4th Mar 2010, 16:48
No. The released title and/or Logo are not good!!!!!!! I really don't like it!!!!!

Rexie
4th Mar 2010, 17:16
Well, I still need more.

But even in which angle I look at it, it still looks like LOTR crossover!

Laras Dream
4th Mar 2010, 17:25
I'm excited if it turns out to be a full game. :)

Danielsun_
4th Mar 2010, 17:37
i think it is a full game indeed, stay tuned for next weeks GDC to find out more :)

Keir
4th Mar 2010, 17:50
News is coming up folks! We're dying to release more info :D

Danielsun_
4th Mar 2010, 17:52
you must be very busy keir doing the forums and facebook and maybe thew twitter aswell (i havn't been on their yet) but pwwwease is alison caroll still the motion actress lady?

Rexie
4th Mar 2010, 18:07
News is coming up folks! We're dying to release more info :D

You better be.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ACbLVsf0CEI/SuyyL62E4QI/AAAAAAAAADY/mOhkUlxAvcs/s320/NormanBates.gif

Danielsun_
4th Mar 2010, 18:14
jesus that picture is scary! lol

Andy64
4th Mar 2010, 18:17
If they had real confidence in this they would have gone all out and made it a full Tomb Raider game. The fact they havn't suggests this is more an experimental thing. If it fails it was never a TR so it doesn't matter and if it is popular then it can influence the next TR.

I would be more excited at a proper disk game though than downloadables.

Danielsun_
4th Mar 2010, 18:20
Its a wise move for them to make this experiment then because if they done this experiment with a full fledge game and it failed then alot of money would be lost, on that note if it is an experiment and not a full retail game im guessing it will be simular to how battlefield 1943 is on the XBLM then no so much money needs to be spent and therefore not so much can be lost,

i like this idea

and if the second project is indeed another tomb raider game (the proper one) then we can definatly get excited about that knowing that this experiment will have feedback on the game

in short

Good times and good things come to those who wait im looking forward to hearing more :D

wise move imo :D

Rexie
4th Mar 2010, 18:34
Keir is offline.

KEIR IS OFFLINE!

http://www.spitefulcritic.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/psycho.jpg

!!!

No, but serously. You can't tell us you've got somethin', and log off.

Danielsun_
4th Mar 2010, 18:52
he is based in america (so i assume from the facebook posts saying crystal loves you this is keir etc) so he is probably on his lunch break or he has finished work if he lives over here in the UK xD

_Love2Raid_
4th Mar 2010, 18:58
I'm very excited! http://www.ben-newman.de/smilie/happy/dancingparty.gif

Well, I still need more.

It's the big L and the golden font, isn't it? http://www.ben-newman.de/smilie/confused/thinking.gif

Rexie
4th Mar 2010, 19:01
Hm.

Lara Croft and the guardian of Light

Nah, I'm just paranoid.

Ants_27_
4th Mar 2010, 19:08
I still need to see way more because just having a new TR games doesn't cut it anymore... not enough funds for that.;)

But on a brighter note this ain't that secret sony exclusive that websites are banging on about is it? Nah, only kidding.:rasp:

Rexie
4th Mar 2010, 19:56
Keir's online! Hide the pitchforks!

Danielsun_
4th Mar 2010, 20:21
aaww but just sharpened mine! :(

lilhanhan
4th Mar 2010, 20:34
Well the news has made me post on this forum again, but to be honest I'm not that excited seeing as I know hardly anything about this game right now. That's why I voted for "I am not sure till I get more information on it".

Also, I'm glad it's not just me who feels that the logo reminds them of LOTR (although the actual name reminds me of Harry Potter). ^.^;

Laragwen62
4th Mar 2010, 20:35
Hello
I'm a french fan and to answer at your question (of this topic):
No, I'm not really excited because I'm afraid of the result of this video game.
I love Lara Croft and Tomb Raider since the first Tomb Raider. But since Tomb Raider Anniversary, Lara has become too emotional and has much less strong character compared to Tomb Raider 1.
I think the real Tomb Raider is finished since Tomb Raider Underworld. But I hope always and I keep Lara Croft in my heart.

Rexie
4th Mar 2010, 20:41
aaww but just sharpened mine! :(

Well take them out when he doesn't do what we ask him to >;)

Danielsun_
4th Mar 2010, 20:57
in the mean time i shall make some weapon venom so i can poisen my pitchforks when it does happen :)

josh1122
4th Mar 2010, 21:37
Weak, thats the only word that comes to my mind really and its only a downloadable game as well.

So far,not interested

LIGHTS
4th Mar 2010, 21:47
sure am.

Danielsun_
4th Mar 2010, 21:50
im excited about it :D

Ants_27_
4th Mar 2010, 22:11
So digital distribution?

If this is successful then may this be the route of CD? Instead of using disks they can just distribute it digitally in theory saving them money through packaging and the likes?:scratch:

Sony when that route with PSP-Go, granted that was more of a test or whatever!?

The problem with digital is that I can't trade games in when they turn out to be either a let-down or just pure crap!:lol:

Studded*Belt
4th Mar 2010, 22:31
So digital distribution?

The problem with digital is that I can't trade games in when they turn out to be either a let-down or just pure crap!:lol:

i like the way you think. i agree, even if a tomb raider game totally bummed it, i wouldn't trade it in...oh wait... it's not called tomb raider any more :lol:

Ants_27_
4th Mar 2010, 22:34
i like the way you think. i agree, even if a tomb raider game totally bummed it, i wouldn't trade it in...oh wait... it's not called tomb raider any more :lol:

I didn't really mean TR in that last post (gotta cover myslef:P) but I just think that having the option to trade in is a lot better than your stuck with it so lump it type of thing!:lol::rasp:

Danielsun_
4th Mar 2010, 22:35
its not the main game its like a side game! :p

Ants_27_
4th Mar 2010, 22:36
Still...

Better not be over a £5 :lol: Just never spent more than that on the store lol

Flintmelody
4th Mar 2010, 22:42
Still...

Better not be over a £5 :lol: Just never spent more than that on the store lol

You must be a great bargin hunter.

Danielsun_
4th Mar 2010, 22:45
yea lol

must do favours.....

:p

Studded*Belt
4th Mar 2010, 22:56
I didn't really mean TR in that last post (gotta cover myslef:P) but I just think that having the option to trade in is a lot better than your stuck with it so lump it type of thing!:lol::rasp:

Yes i know(just still kinda ticked off with the change thats all ^^)
And having the choice to trade in is always nice, not to mention, you gotta love box art ^^

6Fan2Lara
4th Mar 2010, 23:02
Yes, very excited ! ^^

I am a french fan since 1997 but i am afraid for the futur of the Tomb Raider Licence.

PS : sorry for my english. xD

Pulse
4th Mar 2010, 23:07
Download is kinda scary... I wonder if it'll be iPhone..

Hopefully PS3, 360, and PC :D

I cannot wait!

legendofmetal777
4th Mar 2010, 23:19
I'm soooo excited!!!! =)

Mertz523
5th Mar 2010, 00:54
I'm HESITANTLY excited. It's a TR game/spinoff, so I'm excited. I'll be ecstatic once I learn if I'm actually going to be able to play it on my PlayStation 3...

Ants_27_
5th Mar 2010, 07:38
In a very sick way I'm hoping they say its for something like wii only... not because I'm cruel and I think it should be, I just want to see what kinda reactions it would get if people hear of exclusivity.:lol:

Anyway as for my below £5 deal I will stick to that (maybe going a little higher around £10) me thinks because I have never seen a game on the store that is all that good if I'm honest... it is for the first couple of hours then it just gets left!:rasp:

If I can play it in remote play then that could be a reason for me to get it but we know that won't happen due to the PSP's lack of 2nd analogue!

chriss_99
5th Mar 2010, 08:21
Of course I'm excited, and just because it's something new and fresh, doesn't mean that it has to be a fail.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
5th Mar 2010, 10:24
In a very sick way I'm hoping they say its for something like wii only... not because I'm cruel and I think it should be, I just want to see what kinda reactions it would get if people hear of exclusivity.:lol:

People hated the exclusivity on the DLC so don't think it would be a good idea to make this console specefic.

Danielsun_
5th Mar 2010, 11:37
indeed chriss99 indeed :)

qwerty
5th Mar 2010, 12:00
Well, I still need more.

exactly my thoughts...no im not excited.i think they are gonna make another mediocre product and the fact that it will be coming in digital release confirms that.which game that respects itslef comes out in digital release?

Ants_27_
5th Mar 2010, 14:57
exactly my thoughts...no im not excited.i think they are gonna make another mediocre product and the fact that it will be coming in digital release confirms that.which game that respects itslef comes out in digital release?

These ones (in my book anyway)
Siren (To some the best survial horror in a while)
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=qgiE74X7MYY&feature=related
Battlefield 1943
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=TM4Fh8X7IuY&feature=related

To be fair even on a disk TR is hardly a masterpiece to gaming... so I doubt digital only is going to cause all that much problem.:rolleyes:

Danielsun_
5th Mar 2010, 15:23
I LOVE YOU ANTS!!!

i've been talking about Battlefield 1943 coming out on digital release and saying its great, totally awesome you achknowledge it aswell :)

hmmm i wonder, do you have said game on xbox360? :p

LARALOVERnr1
5th Mar 2010, 15:39
i'm pretty excited for this, though i wanna see some trailers first.

Ants_27_
5th Mar 2010, 15:42
I LOVE YOU ANTS!!!

i've been talking about Battlefield 1943 coming out on digital release and saying its great, totally awesome you achknowledge it aswell :)

hmmm i wonder, do you have said game on xbox360? :p

Your only human:rasp:

I honestly still haven't bought it myself (Played it a lot due to my friend buying it) I do plan on buying it but I keep going to then I end up either forgetting or just buying something else!:lol: Still awesome though!

As for 360 I'm -at the minute- still only on the sony side but plan to buy a 360 soon cause Alan wake looks pretty interesting too. But if I wait someone else might buy me one (18th soon so just maybe?):lol:

qwerty
5th Mar 2010, 16:16
hey peoples..dont spoil other games in ur signatures

Danielsun_
5th Mar 2010, 16:37
we are only talking about battlefield 1943 theres nothing to spoil its an online game loffle

yeah you better ants if you do we could totally game together :p

Ants_27_
5th Mar 2010, 16:44
we are only talking about battlefield 1943 theres nothing to spoil its an online game loffle

yeah you better ants if you do we could totally game together :p

I suppose the spoiler could come from my signature but its hardly a spoiler cause if you go on the Quantic dreams website that's the first thing your shown.

Anyway I will buy one eventually cause I saw a pre-owned 360 for aound £119 once - or maybe I dreamt it?:lol: I wasn't to blame in my chosing of console it was all this womans fault!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPE-b09R6sI&feature=related

EDIT - If it is my signature I'm sorry and I'll change it if people want?

Danielsun_
5th Mar 2010, 17:11
meh doesnt seem like a spoiler to me lol quoting a wierd woman can mean anything, she could be naming your shoes your son lol

Ants_27_
5th Mar 2010, 17:19
meh doesnt seem like a spoiler to me lol quoting a wierd woman can mean anything, she could be naming your shoes your son lol

I didn't know what to call her lol so I call her the weird woman!:lol:

She's talking to the children of the night!:eek: I have no idea what that means but it just appeared in my head!:rasp:

POP3D
5th Mar 2010, 18:55
Voted, "Yes!! A brand new Lara game!" :D

AND there is few things that i'm expecting to get in this game,

1st: keep underwater levels and DON'T remove Harpoon.

2nd: lots of hard puzzles and even harder puzzles for relics and artifacts.

3rd: keep lara's moves from Underworld and bring back the back-flip from Anniversary and add new moves as well (one move i'm thinking of right now is the ability to run toward a wall then take 2 or 3 steps up this wall and flip back (like keanu reeves in matrix) while firing her dual pistols at the enemy chasing her) :)

And of course to keep the ability to turn off all the icons in the game (all of them or one of them) and this strange-looking icon that appears under the enemies in the new screen shots! and for me :D i'd like to have the ability to toggle the guns in or out from Anniversary, i don't like to keep holding a botton to keep the guns out while fighting, please :)

That is all, i have a strong faith in you guys at CD and i have high hopes for this new Tomb Raider, i can't wait already to get it :D

Thanks for your hard work guys. :)

Oh, i also want to add that i'm considering this game to be as a taking-a-break from our normal Tomb Raider with a new game play style for The Guardian of Light, but STILL i'm expecting to get a new normal Tomb Raider game packed with all Tomb Raider awesomeness any time soon this year. ;)

Joshorty
5th Mar 2010, 19:20
I'm kinda bummed it's digital-download only but I get why. This is a sick way to keep us busy before TR9. I'm all Tomb Raider ecstatic again. Not to mention, I haven't felt this way since the debut trailer/announcement of Tomb Raider Anniversary (ya Underworld didn't hyped me as much).

Danielsun_
5th Mar 2010, 19:33
when you say sick way do you mean the 'yeah sick blud' in a positive sense or sick as in this is disgusting

if its the former, im with ya i think its great

if its the latter, would you rather have nothing to keep you entertained in the mean time?

not sure what ya mean so i can't say lol

Joshorty
5th Mar 2010, 19:41
when you say sick way do you mean the 'yeah sick blud' in a positive sense or sick as in this is disgusting

if its the former, im with ya i think its great

if its the latter, would you rather have nothing to keep you entertained in the mean time?

not sure what ya mean so i can't say lol
Lol I obviously meant it all positive. Then again with no emoticons to support it, it does seem neutral haha my bad.

STOKED :D

Danielsun_
5th Mar 2010, 19:45
lol awesome dude most bodacious :D

JRod108
6th Mar 2010, 00:37
Not too interested. I'd rather have some news about the main game than a random spin-off that strikes me as a copy-cat of the Lego game franchises.

DamianGraham
6th Mar 2010, 02:56
Okay so this is a digital download only? well does this mean its NOT TR:9? and if it's not how come CD is wasting time creating this one when they could be working on TR:9?? i'm so confused D:

needmorepillows
6th Mar 2010, 03:06
Okay so this is a digital download only? well does this mean its NOT TR:9? and if it's not how come CD is wasting time creating this one when they could be working on TR:9?? i'm so confused D:

They're working on TR:9 AND this one ^__^

DamianGraham
6th Mar 2010, 03:22
They're working on TR:9 AND this one ^__^

okay whew lol, i was like "CMON!" it's been damn near 2 years and NOT one word about TR... so i'm thinkin that when they do release some info on TR:9 it's gonna be EPIC, they are doing a great job keeping it secret i can't wait <3 (and maybe this one'll be worth checking out ^.^)

Error96_
6th Mar 2010, 03:27
Think they would have been better releasing this as a TR for the hand held consoles or a second disk for the next full TR game. It's so out there and different that I wonder if on it's own it will work. Theres high expectations and no normal style TR to buffer fan responces.

A lot of the TR fans will expect this to be at the standard of a full TR game. I would worry many will judge it like that and not as a side-game. A huge ammount of focus will be on this so fingers crossed it's going to be good.

Ants_27_
6th Mar 2010, 09:34

Because then while most are devouring this Guardian business CD can keep extremely quite on the front of the next TR game... Thus giving us no information and keeping the story and characters secret unit a couple of months before release.:cool:

It's really not that hard to keep games a secret and this should be the case.:D

All they need to do is release one good emotional trailer that shows nothing of the game but is a mere tech demo of the tech behind it and it will most likely keep people interested for a couple of years longer. Granted, the trailer for TR won't really need a tech demo as the tech behind it won't be mind blowing like the tech behind an exclusive game. Still, make it emotional and show they are focusing on emotional involvement and I'll buy it without a doubt.

tombraidergal
6th Mar 2010, 13:45
when i hear more, possibly yes.

Flintmelody
6th Mar 2010, 23:53
Because then while most are devouring this Guardian business CD can keep extremely quite on the front of the next TR game... Thus giving us no information and keeping the story and characters secret unit a couple of months before release.:cool:

A diversion for the real game. Now that does seem clever.

NicoCroft
12th Mar 2010, 06:43
Hello everybody !

For my own, I don't really know if I'm excited by GoL... Part of me isn't, because of this strange view and gameplay, but, I have to say that I'm also, a few, excited, just because it's a TR game, and also because, now the time passed, and I'm not like "Ah what is this cr*p ! I hate this game", and I'm more focused on the funny part of GoL.

PS : Excuse me, I don't speak english very well, I'm from France and I'm a brand new member on this forum ;)

Ants_27_
12th Mar 2010, 13:27
Welcome NicoCroft!

Off topic - but your username reminds me of the old broken sword games... in a good way of course;)

dark7angel
12th Mar 2010, 14:03
Hell yeah! I'm excited about this new game!!! :D But some gameplay trailers would be nice for us to see what this is really about 'cause those screenshots didn't really do it...:flowers:

(And some TR9 news would be great too!!!:whistle:)

NicoCroft
12th Mar 2010, 14:31
Welcome NicoCroft!

Off topic - but your username reminds me of the old broken sword games... in a good way of course;)

:lol:

Ants_27_
12th Mar 2010, 14:41
But some gameplay trailers would be nice for us to see what this is really about 'cause those screenshots didn't really do it...:flowers:

I think -going by games like this- it could play something along the lines of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ssqs2igyzA - sorry for quality though.

@NicoCroft, to be fair even if I know someone with the name of George they remind me of Broken Sword!:lol:

Gamer4Lyfe
13th Mar 2010, 01:43
No. I care more about the TR series than spinoffs.

Jurre
11th Apr 2010, 18:21
Here’s my humble opinion on Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light based on what I’ve seen so far.

Pros:

+ More Lara Crofting on the way.
Good, she’s not dead.

+ Its Lara Croft, but not Tomb Raider.
Moving her beyond the Tomb Raider franchise I think is a good idea and shouldn’t be limited to this game alone. Spin offs of the series can allow the developers to try new things, evolving the concept and the character without hurting the traditional Tr-gameplay (not that I care a great deal about that but people do) and alltogether she can appeal to a larger audience. Obviously whether it is the traditional Tomb Raider or not there should still be a great deal of tombs and ancient mysteries involved and I am not saying they should make “Lara Croft Kart” or “Lara Croft Dance Dance Revolution” (boy, that would be something, well maybe as an unlockable extra to get some laughs) but I would love it if a Lara Croft based spin off, if well-crafted, would follow the path of Legend and focus on a somewhat simpeler, slightly more action based gameplay. Who knows? LCGOL might be the first step towards that.

+ Developer finaly having the stomach to try new things.
Multiplayer, manual aiming, overhead camera, all new and daring stuff. Obviously I have no clue yet as to how that is going to work out, and I have issues with some of the specifics of that, but some change I think is needed. And I feel that changes like these would have been made –or at least tried out- over the last five to seven years in similar, but less conservative franchises.

+ The flamethrower!
FWOOOSSSHHH!

Cons:

- Story of LCGOL.
One of my favourite games at the moment is Assassins Creed 2, which is by the way a great example of a game series that is willing to make changes to improve itself. Anyway, it has a very well written, complex story. I don’t expect every game story to be of Shakespearean magnitude, but right now the story of LCGOL feels like an Indiana Jones episode written for 6 year olds and the title reminds me of a Christian propaganda film. But that of course is my preliminary conclusion and besides, I can live with that since its going to be a low-profile downloadable game. I will expect something much better from a ‘real’ Tr game though.

Like I said, some of the specifics of the changes being made don’t appeal to me, though I am in general glad that the developers are willing to make them. Nevertheless I’ll list them here:

- A Maya warrior...
I am not overly fond of this Tlolec whats his name... But since we don’t necceserily have to play him its not much of a problem either.

- Spiders.
Again?? I do like the Satyrs though...

I thought there would be more things I didn’t like but it appears thats it.

In general I am rather optimistic about this one, albeit with a certain carefulness. Anyway I wish Crystal D the best of luck.

Raider126
12th Apr 2010, 04:09
I am actually looking forward to the upcoming game. At first anyone that hears the words "Tomb Raider" with "Multiplayer" is going to jump back and say "That's never going to work" however I have a very good comback to all of this "IT'S LARA CROFT!" I think the main worry to lots of people was that the game wasn't going to be about Lara, but from the articles I read, this sounds like it may work.

Plus this is an extra game they're not having this game only. And for the price it's a bargin!

Lukass
12th Apr 2010, 07:05
I am wondering how long it will take until we will hear or see something about tr9.

Max 28
13th Apr 2010, 02:03
That was a great post Jurre. I agree with all your 'pros'. Your largest con was the story which I thought you eliminated it anyway by saying:

I can live with that since its going to be a low-profile downloadable game. I will expect something much better from a ‘real’ Tr game though.

Plus the spiders were pretty popular in Underworld, and they haven't been used much otherwise. The skeleton enemies were certainly featured in quite a few games. Did people say "Argh, not skeletons again!"?

I am looking forward to the game, but I'm keeping tabs on myself so I don't get overly hyped like with Underworld. :rolleyes:

Jurre
13th Apr 2010, 09:06
That was a great post Jurre. I agree with all your 'pros'. Your largest con was the story which I thought you eliminated it anyway by saying:
Thank you. Yeah, and the complaint about the Maya was quickly neutralized as well. Though I like the idea of other playable characters I'd prefer they were other tomb raiders like Larson or Pierre. But its a good thing that Crystal D will allow us to play this as a singleplayer game playing just as Lara, big thumbs up for that.

I am looking forward to the game, but I'm keeping tabs on myself so I don't get overly hyped like with Underworld. :rolleyes: Yes indeed! I've learned my lesson on that as well.

Max 28
13th Apr 2010, 09:18
Though I like the idea of other playable characters I'd prefer they were other tomb raiders like Larson or Pierre.

And have the possibility of going on to steal Lara's thunder as a tomb raider? :rasp:

The advantage of Totec is that he's provides different strengths and weaknesses. This way he and Lara are able dependent on one another to get through the tombs. But There is the problem of both players wanting to be Lara I guess. I wouldn't mind playing as a revived Mayan warrior though. :cool:

Matze992
16th Apr 2010, 19:05
No. I care more about the TR series than spinoffs

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think I'll dislike this kind of game. At first I thought: What? A strategic game ( is it called like this in English?! :D)
Then I saw, that this little women was Lara. Omg.....
It would be cool if the game develops to a great game, but I think the "real" TR-Fans are still going to be disappointed.

Besides I hate the view from the top on Lara and the others, it'll destroy the feeling of experiencing an adventure. :/

Danielsun_
16th Apr 2010, 19:35

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think I'll dislike this kind of game. At first I thought: What? A strategic game ( is it called like this in English?! :D)
Then I saw, that this little women was Lara. Omg.....
It would be cool if the game develops to a great game, but I think the "real" TR-Fans are still going to be disappointed.

Besides I hate the view from the top on Lara and the others, it'll destroy the feeling of experiencing an adventure. :/

I don't mean to go all against you here but what do you mean by the "real" Tomb Raider fans?

I am a "real" TR fan and i always have been but i am not going to snuff something new because it is different, the adventure you will have will still come with TR9 but this is a spin off, un related has lara in it and is set in a simular style (raiding tombs, lost artifacts etc) its just a kick back and relax game and something to enjoy with your friends i think it is pretty cool they have done this to keep us busy whilst they work on TR9

LR Croft
17th Apr 2010, 00:19
I don't mean to go all against you here but what do you mean by the "real" Tomb Raider fans?

I am a "real" TR fan and i always have been but i am not going to snuff something new because it is different, the adventure you will have will still come with TR9 but this is a spin off, un related has lara in it and is set in a simular style (raiding tombs, lost artifacts etc) its just a kick back and relax game and something to enjoy with your friends i think it is pretty cool they have done this to keep us busy whilst they work on TR9

Hello everybody :D I'm new here, so, I'm sorry if I don't know something about this forum...
I completely agree with you... They are making GoL to keep us busy, because they are working hardly in the TR9... Although I think this way, I understand the doubts of some people about that, there are too many innovations in this game... There are people that want a return to the old types of games, but there are also people that want to "refresh" Lara Croft.. I'm a big Tomb Raider fan, and I don't think people like me , that loves the game , are going to be disappointed with GoL ... Perhaps they made Gurdian of Light a totally new game, with things that the normal Tomb Raider series didn't have, and TR9 it's going to follow the main "rules" of the series.. I believe that very oppinions about this game are going to change with more information, we just have to wait... :) [ I'm sorry for my English, I'm Portuguese :x ]

Max 28
17th Apr 2010, 09:13

I guess it wasn't the intention but the 'real' comment seems almost offensive to me. I don't believe to be a 'real' fan you have to like only the way the game is when you became a fan of it. Sounds more like narrow mindedness to me. I would say that while I love the style of previous TR games I think trying out new things is very beneficial for a franchise and provides fun that isn't always simply repeating of what we've already played and enjoyed. :)

Matze992
17th Apr 2010, 09:33

Yes, you're right and don't worry I accept critical views about my post(s) ;). It's just the point that I think they could work faster/more/better on TR 9 instead of making something like this. It's like they're making a "completely" ( it's not completely different I know ^^) different game and just put Lara insight to calm the fans down.
I would appreciate if the people working on GoL were paid to help for creating TR 9, so that it could be released earlier and/or elaborated better.

Lukass
17th Apr 2010, 12:09
Yes, you're right and don't worry I accept critical views about my post(s) ;). It's just the point that I think they could work faster/more/better on TR 9 instead of making something like this. It's like they're making a "completely" ( it's not completely different I know ^^) different game and just put Lara insight to calm the fans down.
I would appreciate if the people working on GoL were paid to help for creating TR 9, so that it could be released earlier and/or elaborated better.

I absolutely agree with you....:thumb:

Matze992
17th Apr 2010, 19:22
I guess it wasn't the intention but the 'real' comment seems almost offensive to me. I don't believe to be a 'real' fan you have to like only the way the game is when you became a fan of it. Sounds more like narrow mindedness to me.

I've put the "real" on purpose in inverted commas, because it wasn't meant to grasp it that deadly serious. I thought it would've been easy to understand it that way. Sorry if that wasn't the fact ;)
And of course there are people who are going to like it even if they're fans since TR1.

I would say that while I love the style of previous TR games I think trying out new things is very beneficial for a franchise and provides fun that isn't always simply repeating of what we've already played and enjoyed. :)
In (almost) every Tomb Raider were some things tried out. (Like in Legend the Motorbike, a mystical weapon, and the hook which was introduced and nobody wants to miss anymore.) And I liked these "tests" to improve the game. This was a way to not repeat everything you've already experienced.
But despite all these changes the concept of the game was still the same.

In contrast now there is a change in the concept ( it's a spin-off).
And that's the point I have to disagree from your opinion. I become a fan because of the first part of a game I play.
There I like the game structure/the story and stuff like that. But then I don't have to like every game having as a protagonist a brunette haired, with a cyan colored shirt dressed, girl called Lara Croft ( don't get this wrong, I love Lara :) )

Summing up:
You become a fan because of several things. ( gameplay/story,etc.)
If there is a new game, which has a new concept and you miss the things you like, (you can still like the game, but) you don't like the game as the games you became a fan of.
(It's possible that you become a bigger fan of the new game, but I suggest that that's quite rarely^^)

And there comes my conclusion: It would be cool if the game develops to a great game, but I think the "real" TR-Fans are still going to be disappointed.

Let's change the word disappointed in: not-as-happy-as-they-could-be. I hope now it doesn't seem as narrow-minded to you as before :)

That's my opinion and it's ok if you have another one ;)

Danielsun_
17th Apr 2010, 21:36
i understand what you are saying about the people who are working on GOL could be working on TR9 to make a better game

thats how i felt at first ofc however CD did state that they have double the amount of people working for them now as they did when they worked on underworld so they would still have at least the same sized team

now i remember reading somewhere that Dragon age origins awakening had about 15 or 16 people workling on that expansion (and it is a pretty big expansion) and a game like GOL i wouldn't put it at having no more than that anyway, so i don't think too many people were taken away from the TR9 project.

i do appreciate your opinions (and i am hoping my posts do not seem harsh in anyway because you seem like a nice person) i do think the next TR game needs to change it is rather stagnant atm and as discussed in many threads in the TR general discussion forum we have discussed many ways in which TR could be better and how to make it an A class game because if i am blunt TRunderworld was not as nearly as good as it made itself out to be

i love the game infact i played for most of the day today but TRunderworld seemed like a step back, no boss fights is what made me sad :(.

if they can incorporate some of the features they had in TRunderworld like the gun play and the grapple that would be good but CD always need to make a step forward i think the next TR game needs some true innovation and hopefully it will get that, anyways back to my original point i don't think having an extra team working on another much smaller title will hinder TR9's development, but we will just have to wait and see ;)

if you have just read all of that then i salute you because i havn't even read what i wrote lol

Matze992
18th Apr 2010, 08:13
now i remember reading somewhere that Dragon age origins awakening had about 15 or 16 people workling on that expansion (and it is a pretty big expansion) and a game like GOL i wouldn't put it at having no more than that anyway, so i don't think too many people were taken away from the TR9 project.

That's nice to know, thanks :)

i do appreciate your opinions (and i am hoping my posts do not seem harsh in anyway because you seem like a nice person) i do think the next TR game needs to change it is rather stagnant atm and as discussed in many threads in the TR general discussion forum we have discussed many ways in which TR could be better and how to make it an A class game because if i am blunt TRunderworld was not as nearly as good as it made itself out to be

i love the game infact i played for most of the day today but TRunderworld seemed like a step back, no boss fights is what made me sad :(.

No, they don't seem harsh ;). You tell your opinion, I tell mine. If we all had the same this Forum would be useless^^.

And I agree entirely with you about the TRU Project. I also played it a lot (well not really a lot, but usually I play games only once, so all time I spend more on a game is a lot for me :D)
but I missed the bossfights, too. :(
I just hope that TR9 gets really exciting and that every fan gets his money's worth ;)

Danielsun_
18th Apr 2010, 10:27
That's nice to know, thanks :)

No, they don't seem harsh ;). You tell your opinion, I tell mine. If we all had the same this Forum would be useless^^.

And I agree entirely with you about the TRU Project. I also played it a lot (well not really a lot, but usually I play games only once, so all time I spend more on a game is a lot for me :D)
but I missed the bossfights, too. :(
I just hope that TR9 gets really exciting and that every fan gets his money's worth ;)

no problem ;),

hehe yeah that is true if we all said the same thing threads would be ended in a couple of posts lol.

and yeah i agree about TR9 we want our moneys worth i sometimes just play that level on TR anniversary to face the Trex because it is good fun :D i really expected the kraken to try and attack lara and she would have a reason to kill it, not just for the sake of it lol. Apparently the reason there were no boss fights in TRU is because a certain amount of people said no to boss fights, but in all honesty taking out boss fights is taking out some of the fun, the ending of TRU seemed a bit anti climatic just a case of go here then here cut scene and done :(

also my last post was really illiterate and this one a bit aswell lol, i am just not putting any punctuation in the right places or at all woops :p

but back to the point, put bosses in TR9 not walking around them so they slip up :/ oh and my last point the biggest disappointment with TRU was definatly the end, go all that way to get mjornir to kill a god and you don't you hit the structure a few times i thought 'that could have been a really good way to avenge alister and richard croft actually feel the hammers blow on natla' but it didnt happen :(

anyways enough about me pointing all the bad points in the game it will make me seem if i don't like it lol

Max 28
19th Apr 2010, 04:39
In (almost) every Tomb Raider were some things tried out. (Like in Legend the Motorbike, a mystical weapon, and the hook which was introduced and nobody wants to miss anymore.) And I liked these "tests" to improve the game. This was a way to not repeat everything you've already experienced.
But despite all these changes the concept of the game was still the same.

In contrast now there is a change in the concept ( it's a spin-off).
And that's the point I have to disagree from your opinion. I become a fan because of the first part of a game I play.
There I like the game structure/the story and stuff like that. But then I don't have to like every game having as a protagonist a brunette haired, with a cyan colored shirt dressed, girl called Lara Croft ( don't get this wrong, I love Lara :) )

Summing up:
You become a fan because of several things. ( gameplay/story,etc.)
If there is a new game, which has a new concept and you miss the things you like, (you can still like the game, but) you don't like the game as the games you became a fan of.
(It's possible that you become a bigger fan of the new game, but I suggest that that's quite rarely^^)

And there comes my conclusion: It would be cool if the game develops to a great game, but I think the "real" TR-Fans are still going to be disappointed.

Let's change the word disappointed in: not-as-happy-as-they-could-be. I hope now it doesn't seem as narrow-minded to you as before :)

That's my opinion and it's ok if you have another one ;)

I understand what you mean with how TR games have developped and changed. Perhaps what I should have said then was that it'll be beneficial for the TR series exploring a new style of game that isn't repeating the formula of the TR games. With the developers working on TR:9 I think it's a great idea to try out mixing Lara Croft with a whole different style of game.

Because while we're playing a very different game, there are still elements taken from TR that makes it easily recognisable like traps, tombs(similar environments), protagonist etc. So as a new game there will be missing things, and with this being a spin-off there are many missing things from the TR games we are fans of. But with things leaving the game there's room for new things that we can love.

This gives us a game that has features we enjoy in the TR games and a whole new way of seeing them presented to us in the gameplay. We're still faced with traps for example and we will be challenged to tackle these is new and different ways from the TR games.

TR fans could have the reaction of 'not-as-happy-as-they-could-be' because this isn't another TR game and that's what they want. But to make them happier would be making another TR game no? So while we wait to get to play and enjoy that, we're introduced toa new take on the classic features from TR. To not be happy with thsi because it's not TR seems like the fan doesn't have the right idea about the game. This isn't TR but something else that they can enjoy because of the similarities. :)

Ants_27_
19th Apr 2010, 09:44

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think I'll dislike this kind of game. At first I thought: What? A strategic game

That would be pretty cool, I'd enjoy playing it but I have no idea how it'll work in Tomb Raider:lol:

Matze992
19th Apr 2010, 12:40
That would be pretty cool, I'd enjoy playing it but I have no idea how it'll work in Tomb Raider:lol:

So I guess the next spin-off is planned right now :P

qwerty
20th Apr 2010, 14:12
And have the possibility of going on to steal Lara's thunder as a tomb raider? :rasp:

The advantage of Totec is that he's provides different strengths and weaknesses. This way he and Lara are able dependent on one another to get through the tombs. But There is the problem of both players wanting to be Lara I guess. I wouldn't mind playing as a revived Mayan warrior though. :cool:

Dont u get it or havent u read this?: http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/headlines3696.html . anyways its obvious tha sq enix wants to seperate tomb raider from lara croft..after reading that im convinced that we will be seeing new tr playable characters(and maybe whole new games based on them) in the very near future..anyways this game still does not appeal to me.it may be something new but i wish they concentrated on renovating the tr formula(adding for example the sandbox element or revambing the awefull shooting system) and not creating a super mario replica

Max 28
21st Apr 2010, 08:38
^^^No I hadn't read that, thank you for sharing it with me though.

After reading I still don't believe Lara Croft is being removed from TR. I think it's more that they want to use such a powerful character in different game types. Think of it, it's pretty hard to construct great characters and Lara is famous. So why not use her success to sell other games with different styles to appeal to other audiences. Makes more sense than making another character. This way the audience can include both TR fans and new players who enjoy this arcadey style of games.

annebelle86
22nd Apr 2010, 21:17
always excited for new tomb raider stuff! :D don't really care it's smaller or different since it's 'just' a side project, it'll be a fun way to spent some hours right? at least i hope... whaha

and max28: i feel ya

LadyLaraCroft12
22nd Apr 2010, 22:47
wow, i have been way out of the loop as far as Tomb Raider stuff goes. Today is the first time that I've heard of this game, but it definitely looks interesting. What little bit that I've just seen looks pretty interesting, so I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this game.

ITev234
1st Jun 2010, 13:25
I will be if the game is going to be on PSP :D

Ants_27_
1st Jun 2010, 13:45

I'm with you, I think I'd rather have it for PSP than PS3 due to the fact I can play it to pass time while waiting for something, for example the train or bus.:D

If not I doubt I'll download it for a while when its released but if it was for PSP i'd download it a lot quicker for that purpose.

Or have it so that you can play it through remote play.

cazzer
1st Jun 2010, 19:39

I will definitely buy it if it's on PSP, portable Lara, never caught up with the pace of Lara croft, still awesome though. :thumb:

aussie500
2nd Jun 2010, 07:54
I voted "Yes!! A brand new Lara game!" this is not precisely true though but none of the other options applied. I hardly ever get excited about any game these days, but I am looking forward to playing GOL.

xbox 360 arcade
2nd Jun 2010, 10:05
im so happy about this game but im not sure if i will like it because i played all titles(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) Changes?Not shure.Why is lara looked from above. I have xbox 360 arcade ,psp go,PC,Ps2,Ps3.It's not im some idiot with all consoles but i like playing,My favourite is xbox 360 and im HOPING i will love this new lara(and lara loose title tomb raider,why ?? I think there must be TOmb raider,because of that the serial is famous:)

nononora
7th Jun 2010, 15:08
i want a real tombraider game and not an overhead view. :(

QiX
8th Jun 2010, 05:22
I trully tried to raise my best hopes and wait and see what GoL is all about, but after all the screenies and gameplay vids I can officially say that this is a huge disappointment. Come on, are we back in the nineties? Is it some sort of "what-tomb-raider-would-look-like-if-there-never-was-tomb-raider-the-first" experiment? What next: Lara Croft the Coin-Op Arcade Machine? I'm skipping this one and hoping they come with a great Tomb Raider 9 :mad2: