PDA

View Full Version : SCOUT Storm Bow Too Powerful?

KyleGavin
9th Mar 2014, 18:30
I think the storm bow has too much of an AOE damage for the fire rate and ammo it has. It does so much damage in fights people don't even need to hit vamps. People just toss down a turret and then fire a bunch of arrows really fast in there general direction and get kills. If I am wrong please correct me and tell me I am wrong with sufficient reasons but I just think it seems a little broken. There is no reason to take another bow over the storm bow.

Khalith
9th Mar 2014, 18:50
It's getting fixed, the majority of the damage is being shifted to the arrow rather than the detonation, something like an 85/15 split.

RemovedQuasar
10th Mar 2014, 09:30
Well someone said me that that bow is hardest to use but in effect it make too much damage, a single good shot can almost kill a Sentinel or a Reaver :D

Tube_Reaver
10th Mar 2014, 19:01
In my opinion, I think the stormbow is the easiest bow to use. You don't actually have to aim properly, even if you just aim at the ground at the vampires the explosive damage will do the job (and these shots don't really have to be charged/drawn) especially with the current majority of the damage coming from the explosive.

It has happened to me, so the shift in damage is a good thing, and I am hoping for an 85% arrow/15% explosive damage.

WhiteFlameKyo
10th Mar 2014, 19:46
Two shots from the storm bow and my reaver had 100hp. Which means one shot did 475 damage. More than reaver's Pounce. And doesn't have a cooldown.

I think that scout in general is a bit overpowered. To the point of game being practically unplayable if the enemy team has 3 or 4 of them. Especially sentinel has it rough. Average time of survival in mid-air is 5 seconds.
It's like 4 alchemists vs. 4 sentinels, except scouts don't have their "natural enemies".

HereticSage
10th Mar 2014, 20:55
You have to eat a fully charged bow shot twice to be hit for 475 twice before regenerating. Also, the scout natural enemy is the ignore pain tyrant. The disruption and the ability to reduce their damage by 80% (when baiting out skills) is a big, big thing. Scouts can't charge when being hit. If there's any complaint about the storm bow from me, it's how fast it can shoot regularly, given how strong that AoE is when multiple vampires are in close quarters.

Also, if there's any class that's ridiculous, it's Hunter. If you track perfectly, it does the highest damage among all human classes and deals, what, 1500 damage with the base crossbow with 1 clip?

WhiteFlameKyo
10th Mar 2014, 21:10
You have to eat a fully charged bow shot twice to be hit for 475 twice before regenerating.

And what's keeping me from doing that when there are four scouts? Two shots and its 950. And now that people have found out how powerful is scout, there are at least two of them in almost every match. Add the capability of shooting across the whole map and the scout would become the best choice even if he didn't have any skills. But he does, one of which is a good aoe attack.

Still, I can agree with the part about hunters. One of them (alone) just took me about 90% in a few seconds. I managed to attack twice. In close combat a human shouldn't be able to defeat a vampire without using skills. At least I think so.

Khalith
10th Mar 2014, 21:19
Still, I can agree with the part about hunters. One of them (alone) just took me about 90% in a few seconds. I managed to attack twice. In close combat a human shouldn't be able to defeat a vampire without using skills. At least I think so.

You're definitely correct about that! I also think hunters long range accuracy hasn't been nerfed enough.

Angelos_Sanguinum
11th Mar 2014, 00:26
I don't think so. Running few seconds as target in death range is not how vampires attack, and you must be dead because of that.

You're definitely correct about that! I also think hunters long range accuracy hasn't been nerfed enough.
Is it joke ? 30+ meters and you cant hit a thing for good, it have terrible spray with diminishing damage .

HereticSage
11th Mar 2014, 03:16
And what's keeping me from doing that when there are four scouts? Two shots and its 950. And now that people have found out how powerful is scout, there are at least two of them in almost every match. Add the capability of shooting across the whole map and the scout would become the best choice even if he didn't have any skills. But he does, one of which is a good aoe attack.
This is slightly misleading. If you shoot from too far away, even the explosion damage falls off due to balance reasons. So you were shot at mid range and were either caught on a roof by chance... more than once, or you stayed in view long enough to be caught and shot by more than one person. Typically, you can maneuver the camera as a vampire to look around without revealing yourself because of the third person aspects, and you wait for your initiator before going in as a reaver or sentinel (though typically reaver area of denial should go before, or ideally, at the same time as the initiator, but in PUGs, that doesn't always happen).

McKalimazoo
11th Mar 2014, 03:24
so ive been playing regularly for the past week, roughly. When i see a stormbow hes the target i want dead and ill focus (play tyrant mostly). 50% of the time im still dead... I hear the damage is going to switched up. which is fine.

Also, when i see a team with 2 storm bows i quit half the time (sorry) because, i know its going to be super easy for them and super hard for me. :P

My opinion: damage nerf? no. take away from the secondary aoe damage? maybe no. I think make the explosion only for when you "charge" your bow. not when you rapid fire (panic mode). Maybe even from the start of the "charge" being that you get max damage from the explosion at max "charge".

riggepls
11th Mar 2014, 06:05
I like that suggestion from McKalimazoo, it would make it a bit more balanced and not take away the fun and usefulness of some aoe-damage.

Oroibahazopi
11th Mar 2014, 10:04
None of this make any sense to me, the storm bow's dps and damage on the charged shot is almost identical to the composite bow, ~1% difference. You trade the aoe, which when I played was barely any use, with a much higher cost of missing and self damage.

WhiteFlameKyo
14th Mar 2014, 15:39
I'm not sure if this is intended but with a storm bow scouts can free themselves from sentinel's Kidnap/Abduct. You just stand with your bow drawn and shoot at sentinel before the abduction. Now the sentinel grabs you and flies... for about a second before your arrow explodes causing enough damage to cancel sentinel's skill. Happened to me at least 3 times during 2 matches.

Khalith
14th Mar 2014, 17:19
I love the new change made, the aoe capabilities of the scout has been reduced significantly.

WhiteFlameKyo
17th Mar 2014, 17:25
I'm not sure if this is intended but with a storm bow scouts can free themselves from sentinel's Kidnap/Abduct. You just stand with your bow drawn and shoot at sentinel before the abduction. Now the sentinel grabs you and flies... for about a second before your arrow explodes causing enough damage to cancel sentinel's skill. Happened to me at least 3 times during 2 matches.

Umm, any comments on this?

Psyonix_Corey
17th Mar 2014, 17:36
Umm, any comments on this?

Currently it doesn't bother me but if it proves to be a problem we can consider changing it. It's an interesting byproduct of the weapon. If it turns out all Scouts are using Stormbow and countering all Sentinels, we can look at making damage from the kidnapped player not break Kidnap etc.

PencileyePirate
17th Mar 2014, 20:44
None of this make any sense to me, the storm bow's dps and damage on the charged shot is almost identical to the composite bow, ~1% difference. You trade the aoe, which when I played was barely any use, with a much higher cost of missing and self damage.

Agree. Stormbow seems fine as is.

888Demon888
18th Mar 2014, 19:43
FFS, you CAN'T spoil stormbow, it is so gooooood, I think it's one of the weps that no need to change

Khalith
18th Mar 2014, 19:57
Currently it doesn't bother me but if it proves to be a problem we can consider changing it. It's an interesting byproduct of the weapon. If it turns out all Scouts are using Stormbow and countering all Sentinels, we can look at making damage from the kidnapped player not break Kidnap etc.

I like that setup, reaver grabs can be broken in the same way. If I see a reaver about to pounce before he sees me as say a hunter I'll drop a grenade on the ground, if I'm on scout I'll drop turret. But even without the storm bow, I feel like scout already counters sentinel hard enough, 1-2 good scouts can lockdown a sentinel before the vampires can even get close to run interference, not only with the damage alone but there is a psychological aspect. If there are scouts shooting at me really well as a sentinel I'll be much more hesitant to even attack since I'll be a free kill at that point. Even with the vamps attacking, a scout can wait tucked away and shoot the sentinel and force him to withdraw, shooting the senti's victim out of the senti's hands and forcing the senti to run and leave his team behind lest he get killed.

XJadeDragoonX
18th Mar 2014, 21:43
I think the only problem with the current storm bow is damage and utility in terms of other bows. The storm bow is superior to the original bow in every way except for clip capacity. It has more damage undrawn and it does are damage. The only other bow anyone ever uses is the war bow. And that's really only for knocking people down. But 90 percent of scout players use storm bow. It's just... better in literally every way. Just make it so the undrawn damage isn't better than every other bow. Every bow has an advantage and something to counteract it. The war bow draws slower and only has 4 shots. The swift bow does less damage. There's nothing that detracts from the storm bow. It hurts. It had an aoe. It's the best bow

PencileyePirate
20th Mar 2014, 07:10
Starting to change my opinion on Stormbow ... it is a little overpowered.

The problem is not the overall DPS or the AOE, but the DPS it can do without drawing the bow. It's insane how quickly I can release 3-4 arrows into a nearly-full-hp Tyrant (without ever drawing my bow) and then just run away, waiting for a kill off the explosive charges.

For that reason, I now agree with shifting damage from the explosion to the arrow. I think an 80%/20% split with majority damage on the arrow would mitigate the problem.

Khalith
20th Mar 2014, 08:50
There's nothing that detracts from the storm bow. It hurts. It had an aoe. It's the best bow

That's exactly the issue I have with it, it's the superior weapon and good in every situation. I only ever consider switching to a warbow if there are sentinels around, but given how few people play sentinel (that are good at it) it's usually best to go storm bow full time.