PDA

View Full Version : ABILITIES Too much "stun time" between skills?

Pepperton
9th Mar 2014, 16:54
I feel like we shouldn't have to wait after using a skill, we just stand there waiting to get killed.
I notice this with humans and vampires.

Tureil
9th Mar 2014, 20:57
I feel like we shouldn't have to wait after using a skill, we just stand there waiting to get killed.
I notice this with humans and vampires.

I would agree. This is especially damning as a Sentinel who's been brought down in the middle of a group. Or a human whenever 2 vampires get close at once. Even if it's a second it can be too long. >.<

MarinePikachu
9th Mar 2014, 21:47
For some skills I agree with in a way. For example the tyrant jump and then slam makes sense. A tyrant shouldnt be able to jump in and stun immediately. But most skills there is a delay that shouldnt exist. For example after a reaver gets out of evade, it has like a 1-2 second timing where you cant attack and is super annoying.

Basically, time between some skills should exist but time between skills and normal attacks shouldn't.

Psyonix_Corey
9th Mar 2014, 22:49
We intentionally trigger the Global Cooldown when an ability finishes being used to prevent combos like Tyrants insta stunning after Jumping, but your example about Evasion makes sense, we'll have a look at how GCD is triggered on buff abilities.

Boreaquis
9th Mar 2014, 23:51
GCDs definitely need a look at to make them feel more natural.

XJadeDragoonX
10th Mar 2014, 02:25
my only gripe with GCD is that alot of the times, the stun duration for a move is less time than it takes for your character to finish the move frame.

Like when a scout throws his knives. The stun is only significant in the fact that it lets you make take another step back. But you and the vampire start attacking again at the exact same time.

Or when the sentinel dive bombs. by the time you can attack atack, the other team probably already shot you. And they are ranged so if you landed a little off, you can be hit for some major damage before you get within striking distance. And if you want to use whirlwind to get yourself some space, you cant. Because youre dead before its off GCD

Pepperton
10th Mar 2014, 09:40
Yes I agree with the sentinel part, my biggest issue was indeed with the scout class when I attacked at the same time as the vampire in front of me after using throwing knives, It gets me killed anyway.
Thank you for your replies and insight, I stated this game around a week ago and that's what I noticed :)

Wobbley
10th Mar 2014, 10:38
We intentionally trigger the Global Cooldown when an ability finishes being used to prevent combos like Tyrants insta stunning after Jumping, but your example about Evasion makes sense, we'll have a look at how GCD is triggered on buff abilities.

This depends on how you intend thos abilities to be used. If you make Ignore Pain, Evasion not have a GCD then vampires can "stalk" their play while being completely visible and just attack as soon as that duration ends. So unless the human has a AoE ability he is defensless (and even that does limited damage).

I prefer it this way because I have had Tyrants/Reavers standing next to me dozens of times thinking they can attack as soon as the buff ends, instead they get a face full of arrows before they can even attack. I like that these are Defensive abilities, giving you surviveability but you still have to move out of the fire before it ends, or you pretty much die instantly.

DraegonSpawn
12th Mar 2014, 03:30
I feel that the solution is defensive abilities are immune to the global cooldown. I would define defensive abilities in that game as abilities that do not effect enemy players. So that would be the vampire defensive stances. Alchemist heal, and scout cloak for the time being. But that would make you feel like you can use those skill the moment you need them. Under this mindset you could elect others to also be exempt, make a form of takeoff that does no damage, but is more reliable in a bad situation for example. Instead of global cooldown GCD. Call it offensive cooldown OCD (haha...sorry).

Sorry for the wall of text, I had been thinking on the subject.

Pepperton
13th Mar 2014, 23:52
I've been playing a lot, so I'll express my opinion.
The GCD concept is really good in theory, but it kinda makes the gameplay really clunky and slow.
I understand what you said about tyrant stun, but if you want to prevent that you could make the time between stuns with longer animations for example, or if the stuns stack (dunno if they do) just prevent the stacking. Also, if it really doesn't stack I see no issue in throwing one after the other, it'll just apply the last new that you used, and if you're a smart tyrant you'll wait for the first stun to wear out and you'll use your new one. The game is also supposed to be played in teams, and while I undersand the game needs to be noob friendly aswell, the players wouldnt know to wait for the stun. They'll learn the teamwork before the gimmicks, the team will help while the tyrant waits for the stun to wear off. I used the tyrant as an example because it was mentioned above, I think it applies to all classes.
Overall I think GCD in the game is bad.

Phyrus
14th Mar 2014, 01:09
My biggest beef when it comes to this stun is the hunter's bolo. You land your shot, and the vamp is arms down waddling around, and you stand next to him with your xbow aimed at his face....as he walks away... The GCD stun is more painful to the person who landed the skill shot ability here.