PDA

View Full Version : Will an 8600 GT work?

Jerion
1st Mar 2010, 08:08
A question for MCM- What's the reason for selecting the GeForce 8800 as the minimum card? The 8600 has full DirectX 10 support. Is the game simply so demanding that machines with a GeForce 8600 just couldn't get smooth framerates even on low settings?

So- will my 8600 work with JC2?

Forsinain42
1st Mar 2010, 08:29
A question for MCM- What's the reason for selecting the GeForce 8800 as the minimum card? The 8600 has full DirectX 10 support. Is the game simply so demanding that machines with a GeForce 8600 just couldn't get smooth framerates even on low settings?

So- will my 8600 work with JC2?

Considering thats my card I REALLY F***ing hope so! XD

chickenchief
1st Mar 2010, 08:31
It might work on the lowest settings, but dont expect a smooth ride. Even if the card supports DX10 it does not have the power needed to run newer titles on a decent framerate. I know since i had a 8600 before i made the jump to the 260 gtx, and i have to say that the performance from the 8600 was quite poor. It had trouble running games like half life 2 on full settings. Which is a pretty old game.

You could try, but dont have too high hopes for it.

dark_angel_7
1st Mar 2010, 08:58
*Darn Internet connection stopped so I'm retyping this* :mad2:

I have an nVidia 8600GT 1GB card myself. I've gotten games to run on it in full such as The Last Remnant, TR: Underworld, POP (2008) and Supreme Commander 2. I also got Assassins Creed working well on it in medium settings (on full it worked badly). I would say try the demo first and that it's quite likely that on full settings it will perform badly but on medium settings it should work fine.

I personally don't care for full settings as they tend to add little effects (Ass. Creed is a good example of this) that don't mean much for me. I am happy with medium settings personally. :)

BLaZiNgSPEED
1st Mar 2010, 15:59
To be honest an 8600GT is a very poor card to use nowadays. I use to have it last year and I was very unhappy with it, it could barely run a game on 1024x768 resolution without lag.:rolleyes:

Yes it will definitely work, I mean I use to run Crysis with that ok (ish). I now gave it to my dad and it works well.

I was on the verge of getting a PS3/Xbox 360 that time but then I decided to get a new graphics card instead.

Since getting the Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4890 OC Edition 8 months ago my love for PC gaming has grown back.:)

I now run each and every game on 1920x1200 including Crysis, etc.
So yeah an 8600GT will run the game, I don't see why it won't. But I personally don't think its worth playing Just Cause 2 on low detail and low resolution considering how bad the graphics are of this game anyway.:hmm:

And considering the fact that your going to play the game on DX 10. I played Crysis with the 8600Gt on 1024x768 on DX 9.0 and I could barely get 15 FPS (with a mixture of medium and high detail settings).

JC2 will certainly need a lot more power. I mean just look at the game, its just so intense!

dark_angel_7
1st Mar 2010, 16:17
To be honest an 8600GT is a very poor card to use nowadays. I use to have it last year and I was very unhappy with it, it could barely run a game on 1024x768 resolution without lag.:rolleyes:

Yes it will definitely work, I mean I use to run Crysis with that ok (ish). I now gave it to my dad and it works well.

I was on the verge of getting a PS3/Xbox 360 that time but then I decided to get a new graphics card instead.

Since getting the Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4890 OC Edition 8 months ago my love for PC gaming has grown back.:)

I now run each and every game on 1920x1200 including Crysis, etc.
So yeah an 8600GT will run the game, I don't see why it won't. But I personally don't think its worth playing Just Cause 2 on low detail and low resolution considering how bad the graphics are of this game anyway.:hmm:

And considering the fact that your going to play the game on DX 10. I played Crysis with the 8600Gt on 1024x768 on DX 9.0 and I could barely get 15 FPS (with a mixture of medium and high detail settings).

JC2 will certainly need a lot more power. I mean just look at the game, its just so intense!

Well of course playing Crysis on an 8600GT is going to be troublesome. Its Crysis after all. :rolleyes: But for other games its not bad at all, and we can see that Just Cause 2's graphics are not as life-like as Crysis' graphics so theres no real point trying to speculate performance between the two.