PDA

View Full Version : MISC. Games Getting Super Annoying and Boring. I have Suggestions

MarinePikachu
8th Mar 2014, 09:57
So lately its been getting much much worse. Too many low lvls are now flooding the 10+ lobby and its really starting to ruin all the games that I get into (so many that if they would just be patient and wait in the under 10 lobby they would get a game up relatively quickly). I am not hating on them or anything as they are just trying to play and learn and I am glad that new people are getting into the game so I have more future players to play with but I would like a way to play against and with people who are more experienced. I remember at the end of alpha there were so many good games as people were experienced. A few suggestions:

1) We all want that party system to play with friends. I know the balance is still an issue in beta as new people will get destroyed by these teams and may get discouraged. On the other hand, many of my experienced in game friends are starting to play less because of frustration of constant terrible matches. To deal with this we could have a pair party system (max number of people per party is 2 until enough people get into beta). At least this way we have 1 person we can count on.

2) Custom matches which allows us to set some rules. For example, we can set a rule to only allow 20+ players in the current lobby. It would also be nice if we could manually arrange teams. There are a group of people I have played with in alpha and we know each others capabilities that the matchmaking system does not.

3) This next suggestion has some problems with it but I will state it anways. Force the 1-10 to play in the 1-10 lobby. This obviously means that if there truly arent enough people in that level range then no games would get made. However, at the moment, there are just so many in the main lobby that it would seem like a while before that would happen.

4) Make another lobby for 20+ only.

Me and many others are getting tired of constant unbalanced, boring, and afk/leaver filled matches. I hope something can be done soon because this matchmaking is not cutting it.

Oroibahazopi
8th Mar 2014, 11:16
Welcome to me a couple of months ago. Still waiting for locked lobbies.

RainaAudron
8th Mar 2014, 12:22
Agreed with you, we need those things in order to keep the high level players interested. Hmm, maybe locking each tier of players (from 1-10, 10-20, 20-30, etc.) might make the lobbies more full for each tier as often the low levels go to TDM because there was nobody in the New Recruit, not sure.

Oroibahazopi
8th Mar 2014, 12:24
XP ranks are worthless, I'd be in the bottom group now since I have no levels, geegee.

RainaAudron
8th Mar 2014, 12:37
I know, but it´s the closest way to estimate at the moment. It would prevent all lv1 joining for high level games, but yeah, not every lv1 is new as it also includes the alpha testers... so not sure how to solve that.

hirukaru
8th Mar 2014, 12:58
So lately its been getting much much worse. Too many low lvls are now flooding the 10+ lobby and its really starting to ruin all the games that I get into (so many that if they would just be patient and wait in the under 10 lobby they would get a game up relatively quickly). I am not hating on them or anything as they are just trying to play and learn and I am glad that new people are getting into the game so I have more future players to play with but I would like a way to play against and with people who are more experienced. I remember at the end of alpha there were so many good games as people were experienced. A few suggestions:

1) We all want that party system to play with friends. I know the balance is still an issue in beta as new people will get destroyed by these teams and may get discouraged. On the other hand, many of my experienced in game friends are starting to play less because of frustration of constant terrible matches. To deal with this we could have a pair party system (max number of people per party is 2 until enough people get into beta). At least this way we have 1 person we can count on.
I really like this suggestion, this can cause the current amount of players playing to increase again, as you say your friend are playing less and less because no party system. If I am correct the invite to lobby option is working even though the chance you have to fight them is there.

2) Custom matches which allows us to set some rules. For example, we can set a rule to only allow 20+ players in the current lobby. It would also be nice if we could manually arrange teams. There are a group of people I have played with in alpha and we know each others capabilities that the matchmaking system does not.
This has been suggested since alpha and I think the dev team will look into this, but I also think it is not their top priority.

3) This next suggestion has some problems with it but I will state it anways. Force the 1-10 to play in the 1-10 lobby. This obviously means that if there truly arent enough people in that level range then no games would get made. However, at the moment, there are just so many in the main lobby that it would seem like a while before that would happen.
This won't be fair for the alpha players who are OP against the 1-10 people, I was able to get a score of 11/6/something in kDA on a laptop with trackpad in recruit (In NA with around 160 ping)

4) Make another lobby for 20+ only.
Good suggestion but I think there should be a work around for advance players. (alpha testers etc.)

Me and many others are getting tired of constant unbalanced, boring, and afk/leaver filled matches. I hope something can be done soon because this matchmaking is not cutting it.

I know, but it´s the closest way to estimate at the moment. It would prevent all lv1 joining for high level games, but yeah, not every lv1 is new as it also includes the alpha testers... so not sure how to solve that.

Maybe the Alpha testers badge can give them more power to disobey the rules set by the game.

Wobbley
8th Mar 2014, 14:58
We are experiencing this issue as well but we are kind of working around it by joining a fresh lobby then having all our friends join quickly, giving is around 8ish good players. This is not the best approach and sometimes we have to try multiple times, but we make due with what we got. Typing on an iPad sucks :(

Psyonix_Corey
8th Mar 2014, 16:47
We'll have a discussion on Monday on options to improve the experience for you guys. I'll let you know what comes out of it.

Khalith
8th Mar 2014, 17:25
Agreed with you, we need those things in order to keep the high level players interested. Hmm, maybe locking each tier of players (from 1-10, 10-20, 20-30, etc.) might make the lobbies more full for each tier as often the low levels go to TDM because there was nobody in the New Recruit, not sure.

I like this idea.

hirukaru
8th Mar 2014, 17:58
I like the idea of extra lobby options to force. But there should also be an open lobby option.
The system we have now works with average ranks. As seen below.

Also seen is a error state that states that there is a to big difference in average level for me to join. (10 steps)
Love the information the launch file can give. :)
Maybe when reaching level the the recruit part goes away and is automatic changed to intermediate 1 whn reaching level 20-30 intermediate 2 and lvl 30 -40 to advance or something.

MPObject: Player count: 7 / 8
MPObject: Average Rank: 3
GameSearch: Server's [Official Nosgoth EU 228224] average rank outside of tolerance: 10
GameSearch: Server [Official Nosgoth EU 268964] does not have an average rank.
GameSearch: Server [Official Nosgoth EU 268948] has a different playlist id: 1 Searching playlist: 3

It is searched on ranks

ZProtoss
8th Mar 2014, 19:49
Being able to group with friends (at least parties of 2) needs to be a priority. I basically can never duo queue with a friend and get on the same team now due to our MMRs. It's awful.

Boreaquis
8th Mar 2014, 20:00

When I first started I often had to wait 30-ish minutes to get a game in New Recruit, so yeah, I can see why those people would queue for regular TDM.

Wobbley
8th Mar 2014, 20:16
We'll have a discussion on Monday on options to improve the experience for you guys. I'll let you know what comes out of it.

Glad to hear that! :) Can't wait for a response after Monday.

MarinePikachu
9th Mar 2014, 03:33

I like this idea. Like most of my ideas it does have some drawbacks, mainly if not enough people are playing at the time then it won't be good. Once a bunch of beta keys go out this will be a great solution. I would really like the custom matches but that would take too long to implement that feature atm I am assuming.

agreed. This is also part of the problem too. I know alphas who are sometimes lower level than most people and that totally throws the balance off. Pretty much whatever team those people get on is going to win because they have the matchmaking's guess of the high level being skilled but also the skill of the low level OP alpha which the matchmaking did not know of.

We are experiencing this issue as well but we are kind of working around it by joining a fresh lobby then having all our friends join quickly, giving is around 8ish good players. This is not the best approach and sometimes we have to try multiple times, but we make due with what we got. Typing on an iPad sucks :(

I do this too but if its late at night then this isnt really an option. In addition, you pretty much have to wait for that first lobby to fill before you can create a new lobby which BTW also sucks partly because we will sometimes be forced to play EU even though I rather just wait in an empty NA lobby (someone should make a new thread for this problem :rolleyes: ).

Awesome. Made this thread because I bother you guys in game a lot about this topic and just wanted to show how much the community does care about this topic. Also I knew you guys looked at these posts alot and seem to look at feedback more than most game development teams ;).

Glad to hear that! :) Can't wait for a response after Monday.

Same feels like a dream come true.

Psyonix_Corey
10th Mar 2014, 22:13
OK these are not decided upon, but it's our current thinking going forward.

- We will turn back on party team restrictions soon that keep you teamed up with your friends in matches at all times
- We will investigate releasing private match support that lets you create custom lobbies on a dedicated server that are invite-only. These lobbies will let you pick things like team size, map, and game mode, and assign players to specific teams. They will probably not, however, grant XP or Gold.

It's unlikely at this time that we'd add another playlist with a high level restriction. If playercount increases in the coming months as more invites go out and other initiatives proceed, we can revisit this however.

RainaAudron
10th Mar 2014, 22:16
Oooh, those sound good! When do you think they could be implemented if they were given the green light?

Boreaquis
10th Mar 2014, 22:56

- We will turn back on party team restrictions soon that keep you teamed up with your friends in matches at all times
- We will investigate releasing private match support that lets you create custom lobbies on a dedicated server that are invite-only. These lobbies will let you pick things like team size, map, and game mode, and assign players to specific teams. They will probably not, however, grant XP or Gold.

It's unlikely at this time that we'd add another playlist with a high level restriction. If playercount increases in the coming months as more invites go out and other initiatives proceed, we can revisit this however.

Does this include fixing joining and queuing as a party? We had 4 people who wanted to get into the same team on raidcall today, and it was a nightmare. Join/invite friends rarely works, so we basically had to try queueing over and over again until we got a fresh lobby so that everyone had time to join.

Psyonix_Corey
10th Mar 2014, 23:23
Does this include fixing joining and queuing as a party? We had 4 people who wanted to get into the same team on raidcall today, and it was a nightmare. Join/invite friends rarely works, so we basically had to try queueing over and over again until we got a fresh lobby so that everyone had time to join.

These specific issues you mention are all our online engineer is focusing on this week.

MarinePikachu
11th Mar 2014, 01:13

Corey, this sounds excellent. This is what many people have been wanting, some want these features even more than new content.

I do have a few comments on the custom game. I think it should be OPTIONAL to make the lobby PRIVATE. The reason is i would want to fill the lobby as much as possible with people I know but after that fill it with anyone from the public. However, I like the other things you mentioned about the custom matches. No gold and no xp is perfectly understandable.

Thanks for listening to us :)

killdrith
11th Mar 2014, 03:36
I had 73% win ratio going into games today and lost every.single.game. due to nothing but low levels being present. So of course, level 1 + level 3 + level 5 + me = level 15, level 12, level 17, level 16, right?
It's a slaughter because the skill curve does not follow a consistent arc. The current method of matchmaking is horribly frustrating for the very few experienced players left playing.

I look forward to these changes. I have to stop until then.

Wobbley
11th Mar 2014, 06:21

Great to hear the results from the meeting. Really happy that Psyonix is listening to the playerbase, and deciding to do something about it! Thanks for the quick reply on the forums as well.

Corey, this sounds excellent. This is what many people have been wanting, some want these features even more than new content.

I do have a few comments on the custom game. I think it should be OPTIONAL to make the lobby PRIVATE. The reason is i would want to fill the lobby as much as possible with people I know but after that fill it with anyone from the public. However, I like the other things you mentioned about the custom matches. No gold and no xp is perfectly understandable.

Thanks for listening to us :)

I like the idea, but I already see the potential for abuse. Tick box, Let friends in, Untick box, experience points gained in a stacked game. Doing a ridiculous amount of server calls and checks just to see if you are all "friends" would be a mess and a unreliable system. Unless the Steam API has some kind of system already built in for this. It would be cool if this could be done somewhere down the line though.

I had 73% win ratio going into games today and lost every.single.game. due to nothing but low levels being present. So of course, level 1 + level 3 + level 5 + me = level 15, level 12, level 17, level 16, right?
It's a slaughter because the skill curve does not follow a consistent arc. The current method of matchmaking is horribly frustrating for the very few experienced players left playing.

I look forward to these changes. I have to stop until then.

Right before I started playing Nosgoth I made a pretty big post here (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=9757&p=84466#post84466) about the various matchmaking systems and my opinions on them. I was kind of disappointed to discover that Nosgoth uses a system almost identical to Smite, which was (and still is) the worst part about Smite.

Hopefully this is just a temporary system that will be improved in the future.

MarinePikachu
11th Mar 2014, 07:08
I like the idea, but I already see the potential for abuse. Tick box, Let friends in, Untick box, experience points gained in a stacked game. Doing a ridiculous amount of server calls and checks just to see if you are all "friends" would be a mess and a unreliable system. Unless the Steam API has some kind of system already built in for this. It would be cool if this could be done somewhere down the line though.

Its already been stated that no xp and gold will be given in custom games so its not a problem.

Wobbley
11th Mar 2014, 07:39
Its already been stated that no xp and gold will be given in custom games so its not a problem.

Ah I misunderstood you. I thought you ment you wanted to just temporary "close" a lobby so friends could get in, and then open it to everyone, no longer making it a custom game. Yeah your suggestion makes much more sense now :)

Oroibahazopi
11th Mar 2014, 09:53
No XP and gold huh? Level 0 forever and afk farming gold in the gold farm queue ho!

Also, if you do implement the locked lobbies please allow team management within the lobby, I can imagine a situation where it goes live and in order to rearrange teams you have to keep leaving an reforming parties and lobbies.

RainaAudron
11th Mar 2014, 12:40
I like the idea, but I already see the potential for abuse. Tick box, Let friends in, Untick box, experience points gained in a stacked game.

This I think would be solved by a Team Search option (you fill in a lobby of 4 then you click search and it finds you another lobby of 4 people, like in CS: GO).

Wobbley
11th Mar 2014, 12:49
This I think would be solved by a Team Search option (you fill in a lobby of 4 then you click search and it finds you another lobby of 4 people, like in CS: GO).

Yeah that's if you were searching for a lobby as a team. I was talking about situations where you want the entire lobby (both sides) just filled with friends. Anyways that comment was based on me misunderstanding MarinePikachu, so no worries :D