PDA

View Full Version : MISC. Feedback about the newbie experience

HereticSage
8th Mar 2014, 05:16
To preface, I'm currently character level 7, and am a pretty heavy gamer in fantasy and strategy games. I have background in shooters (particularly Global Agenda), but am nothing special at them.

Things I like:
-The game overall
I have a lot of fun and truthfully I foresee myself spending money on it in the future. I have read about how the cash shop prices may change, so I'm waiting until I know what would happen if they do and I spend money before then (it was mentioned by staff that they didn't know how that would work and that Square Enix is in control of the shop, not the developers).

-The accuracy of hit detection
My first day I played in EU quite a bit. I was not seriously hampered, surprisingly. I don't know how I appeared for my opponents. Kudos.

-The intensifying countdown.
One of the best executions of a countdown I've ever seen.

-Daily perks
This, I think is a fantastic system to get people acquainted with different perks instead of giving us one standard perk. And since 30 day rentals are pretty cheap, it's an easy way to try something out without spending gold.

-Reaver and its starting skills:
I feel as though the aim assist makes it a little too easy to play reaver as a newbie, though I know it's balanced out by how vulnerable I am while I maul my victim. I like evade, and I noticed that it doesn't protect me from explosions, so I know to be wary of alchemists if I'm going to provide a distraction or hit and run (pounce, hit e, smoke grenade, auto a little, then run with evasion). Fun way to be introduced to the class. It might be a bit strong, because I haven't cared about perks in the slightest and have been focusing on getting human equipment and perks.

-Alchemist:
I love their zone control, and I love the mechanics on their primary. I'm a bit torn between fleet foot and tenacity because sentinel (hard to hit) and a determined tyrant (I can hurt myself and get stunned at inopportune moments) can really mess up my day. But flame wall and blind are great accessories to the latter problem, and I assume that the former is an intended weakness. Incredibly fun.

Things I don't like:
-Tyrant's ground slam start
I have a friend who's really talented at Tyrant, so I know for a fact that it's not imbalanced. It does seem like it is a rather difficult entry barrier though. It seems like, for your abilities to be useful, you have to already be in the fray, which is a bit harsh if you're to play the initiator. I know that it's easy enough to get someone to use the smoke grenade and then go in, but my experience in the newbie servers are that people are rarely that coordinated yet.

-Bola
It seems like it prevents me from firing for a little longer than is reasonable after use. Don't know if anyone else feels the same, but it essentially makes me feel like the reward is not worth the difficulty of use.

-No report system
This happens on NA more than EU, but I see afkers from time to time, and I'd like to have a system that discourages it.

-Party system is kind of clunky
It seems like you can't join up as a party and then have the party join a server, which makes it difficult to play with friends if you get put into a 7-man server, and there's no system to keep you on the same team. I understand that the extra coordination would possibly be unfair, but it kind of ruins the point for me to play with my friends if I'm always against them (which leads me to believe that you guys have some degree of matchmaking given our relative positions on the scoreboard). I feel as though the matchmaking problem would be solved if we could party up before joining the server so that we'd have an appropriate opposition.

-Scout and Sentinel locked
This is a legitimate problem in the newbie servers. For the most part everyone knows how to deal with the other classes because they can use them and thus learns their limitations, even if they themselves aren't skilled. I myself haven't tried these classes yet, and while I understand their weaknesses roughly, I know I'm making play errors against them because I don't understand exactly how they work (attack patterns for sentinel, or the different abilities for the scout, how much damage I can expect from certain abilities, etc.). This provides a huge advantage for people who buy early, which does them a disservice too, because they have it easier due to ignorance of the other players, and they get to exploit it, but they're going to crash when they meet someone who knows the class intimately, which might be frustrating for people who don't understand why they sometimes get stomped and sometimes do extremely well. I'm not saying they should be totally unlocked, but a 1 time 1 day trial or something like that would do wonders for this. (Also acts as a teaser for people who might want to play the class, though I guess it could scare away sales too.)

-I was logged out before finishing this post. Fortunately the back buttons saved my feedback. <_<

Mixed bag:
-The maps
For the most part, I like the maps, but some of them appear to favor the vampires, which I guess doesn't matter if you play both sides, but still. I am completely aware that my understanding of the game is not complete enough to note the various advantages and disadvantages of different locations though. That is simply my impression as a new player at certain times, and can lead to not enjoying humans as much on those maps. I also don't know if some maps are intended to favor one side more than the other. If so, nevermind.

-Shop prices
Some shop prices are more than reasonable (like the perks), others are extremely prohibitive. $30 for both locked classes, are you kidding me? I roughly made 600 gold in the past 2 days, so I could have one unlocked through the work of 7-8 days, less if I bought a far more economic decision of buying an epic all booster for 7 days at 500 runestones, and be able to unlock both in the course of 1 week for 11% of the price. Charge for convenience, that's not a problem, but within the realm of reason, please. (I hope there's strikethrough.) Edit: I discovered artifacts through the forums. This is rather nice, actually, but I only discovered it through the forums, I had no idea it existed or what it could do. Could you guys possibly make it more clear that you get these and what they can do? You would save yourself a LOT of dissatisfaction.

This ends my long monologue about my experience of the past couple days.

Nyxios
9th Mar 2014, 00:39
-Bola
It seems like it prevents me from firing for a little longer than is reasonable after use. Don't know if anyone else feels the same, but it essentially makes me feel like the reward is not worth the difficulty of use.

Same here : anytime I use Bola, I can't fire right away (until Bola is destroyed actually). Bola is just a way to escaping vampires, not incapaciting them to me. I hope there will be improvement on it.

MarinePikachu
9th Mar 2014, 04:04
Same here : anytime I use Bola, I can't fire right away (until Bola is destroyed actually). Bola is just a way to escaping vampires, not incapaciting them to me. I hope there will be improvement on it.

Normal bolas do this, poison ones don't (if I am not mistaken). Its to balance them out; if you use normal bolas you are trading dmg for more often used bolas. If you allow for shooting than the duration you can shoot the target with the normal bolas is longer than with the poison ones as poison bolas don't stay on target as long.

That said, I use poison ones because most people will break out of them immediately anyways. So essentially the big tradeoff is faster cooldown (normal) vs a little more damage and shooting immediately (poison). Shooting immediately is important for me as often their are other vamps nearby.

Nyxios
9th Mar 2014, 14:01
I still don't think it to be right. Nothing explains the amount of time needed to fire after throwing normal bola. It's more an handicap than a perk to me.