PDA

View Full Version : Commandos 3 - High CPU Usage Problem - Windows XP

fenque
8th Feb 2010, 21:23
Hi, I got Commandos 3 on a Windows XP. The system is a Pentium IV 3.00 GHz with 1 gb of RAM and an ATI Radeon 9800XT graphic card.
The problem is that, although the game runs perfectly it uses a very high cpu usage. While running the game, it consumes 50% of the CPU Usage (it doesn't go up to 100% because Pentium 4 runs with hyper threading).

I've downloaded the latest patch, but I cannot solve this. This thing has already happened with Commandos 2, but Commandos 2 isn't supported on XP. So I tought that Commandos3 was going to work fine, since it supports XP. Another game with similar requeriments like Rome Total War works perfect without consuming all of the cpu usage.

Is there a solution for this? Has anyone encountered this problem?

Thanks!

AndrewT
9th Feb 2010, 08:47
i think it's a fair CPU usage. do you have slow downs and stucks as well, or just worried about the usage percent the task manager displays?

fenque
9th Feb 2010, 22:57
The game runs fine, but I'm worried about the cpu usage performance. This only happened to me with certain old games that were designed for windows 98 (and in this case with commandos 3 wich is suppoused to run in XP). I don't like my pc running as fast as it can when it shouldn't be doing that. But yes, the game works perfect.
Is there another patch or something?

AndrewT
10th Feb 2010, 10:26
the latest Commandos 3 patch is v1.42, I guess that's what you've downloaded and applied.
about the CPU performance, when this game came out in 2003, I had my old PC with 600 MHz and a 32 MB VGA, and ran almost smooth. my current configuration is similar to yours, AMD Athlon 2800+ (@2,1 GHz) and a Radeon 9600 128 MB, and it's more than fine, even without the patch, however I think that it consumes a lot of the CPU, but if you don't run anything with it, like Photoshop or 3dsmax, or any stuff, it shouldn't matter if it's close to 100%.
what if you don't overdrive your CPU, how does the game performance react to that?

fenque
10th Feb 2010, 18:09
Yes, that's the patch I got. Sorry, what do you mean by overdrive my pc?

AndrewT
11th Feb 2010, 08:13
i meant hyperthread disable/enable

fenque
12th Feb 2010, 18:58
I haven't tried that.... from what I've been told the game should run at 100% then. I'll probably try it but I have to check with my brother because I don't want to screw up anything. I'll let you know if there's any progress.
thanks