PDA

View Full Version : Cannot run legitimate backup of Batman Arkham Asylum

TeroxGT
3rd Feb 2010, 14:01
Hi,

I had purchased my copy of Batman Arkham Asylum but since my laptop drive died, I made an ISO of the disc at my institute's desktop. But when I installed it on my laptop, and tried launching the game, it gave me this error :

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k334/teroxgt/SecuromError1000.jpg

Is there any way of running the game?

and I DO have the legitimate copy. Here is my proof :D :

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k334/teroxgt/03022010817.jpg

I tried contacting Dell( mine is a XPS M1530) to replace my drive but since it is out of warranty, it will be very expensive for me to replace it. Plus they do not have drives for this model here... So what do I do?

cyborg34572
3rd Feb 2010, 20:03
Just buy an External USB Dvd-rom. They dont cost much. And that should definitly work.

U cannot use an image/iso file to run the game, since the game has securom, and it will look for the original disc. Thats why mounted iso's in virtuals drive's wont work.

TeroxGT
4th Feb 2010, 03:55
Thanks for the reply. So then, there is no way of running this game apart from buying an external drive? But what if there is a genuine reason for making a backup so as to account for problems like this? Like for those blokes whose dvds have gone bust or something like that...

cyborg34572
4th Feb 2010, 04:03
Thanks for the reply. So then, there is no way of running this game apart from buying an external drive? But what if there is a genuine reason for making a backup so as to account for problems like this? Like for those blokes whose dvds have gone bust or something like that...

It has securom so backup copies/images wont work. They dont want u making copies of ur original dvd and selling it or giving it away. thats why the thing has securom.

TeroxGT
4th Feb 2010, 04:25
Oh well....time to visit my computer store! !^_^ . One thing.. Whats the deal with the activation key? I didn't get asked for it during the installation. And went to the site as well to check if there is an option for registration or something...

cyborg34572
4th Feb 2010, 04:34
Oh well....time to visit my computer store! !^_^ . One thing.. Whats the deal with the activation key? I didn't get asked for it during the installation. And went to the site as well to check if there is an option for registration or something...

The cd key is when u register ur game to Games for windows live.

TeroxGT
8th Feb 2010, 16:25
Well...I have got my game started ( bought a new external dvd writer! ). Now the framerate in the game is really unstable. It lags quite badly in the beginning, but after sometime it runs smooth and after that it lags again...Its kinda distracting from the overall experience..So can ya help me out? Here are my specs:

Dell XPS M1530

Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4 GHZ
Nvidia Geforce 8600m GT 256 mb GDDR3
2 GB RAM
160 GB 5400 rpm HDD
1280 x 800 native resolution
195.81 forceware ( tried different drivers and this one gives me the least problems amongst them)

I'm running the game on

1280 x 800 (16:10)
no V sync
No AA
everything High
Ambient Occlusion: Off

deders
8th Feb 2010, 17:00
I'd try experimenting with turning some of the settings down. I'd start with them all low, then bring them in one by one and use fraps to measure your framerate, shouldn't be much lower than 30fps. You should find which settings affect your framerate the most and stick with that.. Physx is a no go with your card as it only has 32 shaders to play with.

cyborg34572
8th Feb 2010, 17:49
Thats really odd, I have a laptop with almost exactly the same specs are urs.

AMD Turion Tl-64 X2 2.2ghz
ATI Radeon HD2600 256mb
4GB ram
160gb 5400 rpm hdd (so slow rpm lol)
1900x1200 native res.

It can run the game at Very high ,no Dynamic shadows, No aa , no vsync, no physx, everything else turnd on, 1280x900 res, at very nice stable framerates.

U may have to configure alot of things in ur laptop.
First step is to update ur video cards drivers.

Im guessing ur not using a modified driver for u video card.You video card is using a driver designd for laptops and its just holding its performance down.
Download a driver for ur video card here

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers
it will surely increase ur video cards performance.

next step would be to make sure ur not playing the game in battery mode. In battery mode ur laptop tries to save battery power so it lowers the laptops performance. So make sure u plug ur laptop in and set it to Maximum performance or something.

Another step would be too close unnecessary background tasks and services.
If ur not sure on what processes can safely be closed, download a program called "gamebooster", u can switch to gaming mode before u play ur games, it will close background services and processes and give u a performance gain. Close automatic updaters/scanners/anti-viruses, any background program that will use memory and cpu power.

Do a disk cleanup on ur HDD
a harddisk check
then a harddisk defragmentation.
Maybe after those u should also scan for viruses/malwares/spywares/adwares.

Another thing u might wanna do is to disable indexing in the partition ur games installed in.
As it causes stuttering.
Also set ur virtual memory/pagefile to something higher.

Get 2gb more memory and change ur Harddisk to a 7200rpm one. Will also increase performance.

Last thing i know in gaining more performance is overclocking. But i woudnt advice doing it on a laptop

P.S
I also forgot. Turn off physx in the games settings. Ur video card cannot handle that.

TeroxGT
8th Feb 2010, 19:30
Well, I'm using a modified driver( Had Dox drivers earlier) and the current one, 195.81, is a desktop driver from laptopvideo2go.com.
My battery is dead, so I run it directly from the AC source. The question of powermizer or the battery holding it down does not arise.
Plus, whenever I game, I always close my background processes and programs and run the AV in game mode. My HDD cleanup and defragmentation tasks are done weekly. I will increase the virtual mem/ pagefile to a higher value and disable indexing, as you have suggested.
Also the Physx is turned off.

I have also mentioned that, the game in between runs very smoothly( couple of minutes ) and then the lag starts. Could it be the drivers? I have tried a whole bunch of them, but most of them had issues. Only the 195.81 seemed stable. Do you know of any good drivers for my laptop?
Thanks.....

deders
8th Feb 2010, 20:24
does it always lag in the same places?
you could try checking the temperatures of your graphics (gpuz) and cpu whilst running the game.

cyborg34572
8th Feb 2010, 22:46
Like deders said, you should try checking ur temps while playing the game.

Open up a temp checker program and keep it running in the background, start the game up and while its running smoothly, look at the temps. When it starts to lag, check ur temps again to see if its way higher than the original recorded temp when the game was running smoothly.

deders
8th Feb 2010, 22:48
if you use gpuz you have to click on the temp screen after you alt-tab out of the game, otherwise it won't show the updated temperature.

Update: Just downloaded the latest version and it has an option to continue updating when gpuz is in the background.

TeroxGT
9th Feb 2010, 09:05
does it always lag in the same places?
you could try checking the temperatures of your graphics (gpuz) and cpu whilst running the game.

Yea. It does lag in the same place. I'll download gpuz and check out the temp. What is the 'safe' running temp for the card? So i will know for sure if my card is overheating when i check it.......

Update:
Checked the temps. While running the game, I get a reading of 94 degrees average. And I think its pretty hot. Coz earlier my temps were at 60-70 during game. So I think the drivers are making my card go hot. Can you suggest any better drivers than this?

Laptopnut
9th Feb 2010, 16:10
Misinformation has been given here and the guy has unnecessarily purchased an external drive. Just because you think this game will not run without a CD due to Securom, doesn't mean that it is not possible because it is 100%.

I have a genuine copy of this game that has been activated with a genuine key, but do not like using CD drives on my gaming laptop due to portability and convenience reasons and I have completed this game 100% without ever using my CD with no problems at all, no crashes either. After all, why would the creators of the game care whether you are using a CD drive or not once they know that you had activated using a real and perfectly legit key proving that you purchased the game and that the same key was not being used on more than one computer. I think the anti piracy methods are related to the key or lack of one.

I get the feeling that those who had grapple problems and other issues due to piracy were using some kind of cracked key or a key bypass. If you still want to try the other method, let me know.

Laptopnut
9th Feb 2010, 16:12
Yea. It does lag in the same place. I'll download gpuz and check out the temp. What is the 'safe' running temp for the card? So i will know for sure if my card is overheating when i check it.......

Update:
Checked the temps. While running the game, I get a reading of 94 degrees average. And I think its pretty hot. Coz earlier my temps were at 60-70 during game. So I think the drivers are making my card go hot. Can you suggest any better drivers than this?

Drivers shouldn't cause that much of a temp increase. Generally the safe operating temps for mobile GPU's are anywhere from 80-85C, 94C is a danger area.

deders
9th Feb 2010, 16:35
I think on it's own the temps are safe, i think the max for current nvidia desktop cards is over 130, but it might have a knock on effect for other components.

Laptopnut
9th Feb 2010, 17:02
I think on it's own the temps are safe, i think the max for current nvidia desktop cards is over 130, but it might have a knock on effect for other components.

The safe temp for mobile GPU's are lower and those temps he has are not safe.

TeroxGT
10th Feb 2010, 03:40
Misinformation has been given here and the guy has unnecessarily purchased an external drive. Just because you think this game will not run without a CD due to Securom, doesn't mean that it is not possible because it is 100%.

I have a genuine copy of this game that has been activated with a genuine key, but do not like using CD drives on my gaming laptop due to portability and convenience reasons and I have completed this game 100% without ever using my CD with no problems at all, no crashes either. After all, why would the creators of the game care whether you are using a CD drive or not once they know that you had activated using a real and perfectly legit key proving that you purchased the game and that the same key was not being used on more than one computer. I think the anti piracy methods are related to the key or lack of one.

I get the feeling that those who had grapple problems and other issues due to piracy were using some kind of cracked key or a key bypass. If you still want to try the other method, let me know.

Well, I would like to know your method for running the game.

And I tried a whole bunch of drivers from Nvidia( including Dox's 195.62) and all of them give the same result. The game lags like hell...It runs smoothly and after sometime, everything just crawls, literally! The temps are down though...Idling at 66, game 80. But the game doesn't seem to run smoothly. I could run Crysis on medium and still get stable framerates. And considering Batman is on Unreal engine, it should atleast run without giving any headaches.

Laptopnut
10th Feb 2010, 15:26
Well, I would like to know your method for running the game.

And I tried a whole bunch of drivers from Nvidia( including Dox's 195.62) and all of them give the same result. The game lags like hell...It runs smoothly and after sometime, everything just crawls, literally! The temps are down though...Idling at 66, game 80. But the game doesn't seem to run smoothly. I could run Crysis on medium and still get stable framerates. And considering Batman is on Unreal engine, it should atleast run without giving any headaches.

Try Drivers 186.81 official. Have you tried completely disabling Physx?

I have sent you a pm with the details of the method I used by the way.

deders
10th Feb 2010, 15:54
I found 191.07 worked best for me, but that was for desktop cards

TeroxGT
10th Feb 2010, 20:02
Try Drivers 186.81 official. Have you tried completely disabling Physx?

I have sent you a pm with the details of the method I used by the way.

Received the pm, and thanks. With regards to the Physx, its disabled from the Nvidia control panel as well.... As far as the drivers are concerned, I have used 191.07, but it does no good. I also did try the 186.81, but that was from Dox. Haven't tried the official ones, though. Will give it a try.....

Laptopnut
11th Feb 2010, 02:18
Received the pm, and thanks. With regards to the Physx, its disabled from the Nvidia control panel as well.... As far as the drivers are concerned, I have used 191.07, but it does no good. I also did try the 186.81, but that was from Dox. Haven't tried the official ones, though. Will give it a try.....

There are no Dox 186.81 drivers, only official Nvidia ones so you prob used some other one.

TeroxGT
11th Feb 2010, 19:30
There are no Dox 186.81 drivers, only official Nvidia ones so you prob used some other one.

Ok...I tried the one you mentioned and is by far the smoothest one in the non-laggy sections. But all drivers inclusive of this one suffers from the same symptom: In the first opening section, when Batman walks behind the strapped joker, the game runs silky smooth( even with ambient occlusion on!) but after when he reaches the platform and goes down to the security check, the games just comes to a crawl. The audio starts crackling as well! Once this lag stayed on for a couple of minutes and it went off... Only to come back again later. And sometimes the lag just stays on....And I have tried an entire gamut of drivers. The one you have mentioned has also given me the lowest gaming temp.... around 75. I have also disabled the physx from the CP as well. Any suggestions? :mad2:

Laptopnut
11th Feb 2010, 22:08
Run this (http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php) in the background while you are running the game and note the maximum temps listed.

Another thing to consider is that your Nvidia Geforce 8600m is one of the models that Nvidia had severe problems with. Thousands of those models were all found to have a major fault causing them to die. However, if you only get such problems in Arkham Asylum then that is probably not the case.

I wonder if your problem is related to CPU temps and GPU / CPU downclocking after a short period of stress. Running HWMonitor will give you an idea.

You should also use DriverCleaner in safe mode to make sure your graphics drivers were removed properly before installing again. You should also make sure your audio drivers are updated. It won't hurt to check your hard disk fragmentation level or use WinContig to defrag only the Arkham Asylum Eidos folder.

If none of the above does any good then you might as well post up your issue here (without mentioning NOCD crack)

Notebook forums gaming section (http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)

bpf2010
7th Apr 2011, 23:11

yeah please let me know i just dont like carrying disks around!!! thanks!!!!