PDA

View Full Version : MISC. Gamepad support

cmstache
3rd Dec 2013, 00:49
First off, any combat tips would be greatly appreciated. I've NEVER been a PC shooter player. The occasional RPG and a short stint in Gunz (not even long enough to get good) is the extent of my keyboard gaming. As such, I feel like that dude who picks up a N-64 controller for the first time and has to look down to know where the buttons are; as opposed to the turn who runs around and 180 turn snipes sentinels from the sky. So, I already have a hefty learning curve.

That being said, I've always been a solid player on consoles. I like my controller, plain and simple. This being said, my controller (that works for pretty much every other game, plug-and-play) is VERY unresponsive and inconsistent with bindings. I press up on a joystick once and it doesn't set the bind and move the selector up or down to a different binding, a second time it will register that I clicked it down instead of pressed it to an upward position, sometimes, nothing at all. What bothers me isn't that my controller doesn't work (because it does sometimes register, then go away), but that it's inconsistent, which means something is wrong with the system.

Anyways, in the meantime.... any one have any tips on making movement and such easier. It's only bee a few weeks and I already feel the carpal tunnel setting in again... :(

lucinvampire
3rd Dec 2013, 10:00
I know exactly how you feel - never been a PC gamer either. I think the controller support isn't fully operational yet so that is probably the issue - it is planned though.

Sadly I don't have any tips apart from keep at it - even though its a tough ride you'll get there...or controller support will be fully operational by then :D ...and then we'll have a blast!

Oroibahazopi
3rd Dec 2013, 10:16
Well being biased I'd say suck it up and learn keyboard and mouse.

What controller do you use, an xbox one? Is your driver up to date? Failing that you could map controller input to keyboard key presses, but you presumably wont have the analogue feel of the joystick.

Razaiim
3rd Dec 2013, 19:14
cmstache is your in-game name Sausage? I had a conversation that went exactly like the OP yesterday with a dude named Sausage

cmstache
4th Dec 2013, 00:34
Yes Sir I am. And I do get better, but I don't have the best wrists anymore... (sports, work, etc.) so after about 2-3 games it starts hurting... But not enough to stop.

And I, currently, use a PS2 controller, with a USB adapter. The only issue I've ever run across is thatr it won't vibrate, which is ok for me anyways.

Psyonix_Corey
4th Dec 2013, 01:47
Common request and it's on the backlog for beta. Unfortunately the way the PC bindings are set up don't translate smoothly to axial controller inputs.

We had official controller support at one point but had to disable it for a few reasons and there's some work to be done to get it releasable. Primarily the vampire camera + melee doesn't work so great with joystick, we'll need to try resurrecting our old vampire camera that plays more like a console melee game (allows you to melee AT the camera/etc.).

drewbnice
8th Jan 2014, 05:31
any word of this being implemented in the game?

lucinvampire
8th Jan 2014, 09:49
I think it was hinted at for Beta timeish :D

Oroibahazopi
8th Jan 2014, 18:45
Shouldn't an ms controller work already?

lucinvampire
8th Jan 2014, 19:45
Sadly not properly - the game doesn't function on it at the moment so its become better to wait for the proper installation than trying to use it half functioning one.

EDIT 16 Jan14:
I tried with controller tonight using Xpadder and I have to say - it really makes the game extremely difficult to play - about 50x as hard lol - I did start to get the hang of it...well not really...I think the thing that made it hard was the look around (what the mouse usually does) as it was really really slow to change your view (mouse you can move quite quick) - kind of by the time I'd looked the vamp behind me had killed me - be warned if you try it - hope the real thing arrives soon :D Had to keep switching between controller and keyboard/mouse 'cause it was crazy lol

nicholsonadam
30th Jan 2014, 01:54
Weighing in: Game recognized my Xbox 360 wireless controller in "Bindings," but not in gameplay; I was just stuck where I spawned. Also, it seems players can map movement controls in bindings, but not look controls. Support needs to be (and presumably will be) improved.

Ideally, the game would recognize a connected controller and either default to controller input or accept all input.

Oroibahazopi
30th Jan 2014, 10:45
Sadly not properly - the game doesn't function on it at the moment so its become better to wait for the proper installation than trying to use it half functioning one.

EDIT 16 Jan14:
I tried with controller tonight using Xpadder and I have to say - it really makes the game extremely difficult to play - about 50x as hard lol - I did start to get the hang of it...well not really...I think the thing that made it hard was the look around (what the mouse usually does) as it was really really slow to change your view (mouse you can move quite quick) - kind of by the time I'd looked the vamp behind me had killed me - be warned if you try it - hope the real thing arrives soon :D Had to keep switching between controller and keyboard/mouse 'cause it was crazy lol
With some ini tweaking you could set a button to boost your sensitivity unless that was locked too.

Try adding ButtonBindings=(Button="something", Command="setsensitivity 1 | OnRelease setsensitivity 0.5", Action="whatever") underneath [PawnInput InputBindingsMap_X].

I'll let a dev say if that's correct or not, because I'm not 100% sure myself.

It might be: ButtonBindings=(Button="something", Action="setsensitivity 1 | OnRelease setsensitivity 0.5")

lucinvampire
30th Jan 2014, 12:28
Thanks Oroi :D I will wait for confirmation from the Devs on the correct changes…just so I don’t go a break it lol.

...only being able to play about 4 matches a week now is seriously killing me!

Oroibahazopi
30th Jan 2014, 12:53
Whoops it's BCMPInput.ini

Worst that'll happen is it wont work, as long as you use a different key to other commands in place of "something". It may just poof from the file after you start the game if they've locked it.

Oroibahazopi
31st Jan 2014, 21:09
Well can't get anything to work. Maybe the Settings Exec functions are blocked for whatever reason. The ini doesn't revert after saving though so it's not locked.

Either that or my syntax is wrong. Why can't devs just stick with the default naming conventions srsly.

Psyonix_Eric
31st Jan 2014, 21:41
I spoke to our tech lead about this is and he informed me that those strings are set on our end and can't be changed through INI tweaks because some users were using them to exploit the game.

Oroibahazopi
31st Jan 2014, 21:50
pff

It's only setting keybinds for Exec commands that're pre-set by the engine. You can allow innocuous ones like the Settings set surely.

Psyonix_Eric
31st Jan 2014, 21:53
The fact of the matter is that if something is causing a loophole that people are exploiting then we are going to patch it. If it means that people will need to wait a little longer for controller support to go in then we apologize for the inconvenience. Our tech lead has been working with UE3 for 10 years and has contributed to the development of the engine itself. I'm quite confident in his ability to determine what is needed to patch an exploit. :)

Controller support is still planned as a feature in the future.

Oroibahazopi
31st Jan 2014, 23:35
It's not even a controlled specific thing, it's just gimping people's customization options. Lots of other UE games allow you to set keybinds using those Exec functions. Unless once again, people having the initiative to do their own editing is considered an exploit...

Syst3mzero
1st Feb 2014, 00:19
I look forward to possible pad support, should make it easier for us kb+mouse players to get massive scores.
In my opinion a pad player = a victim waiting to be killed.

hirukaru
1st Feb 2014, 01:03
It's not even a controlled specific thing, it's just gimping people's customization options. Lots of other UE games allow you to set keybinds using those Exec functions. Unless once again, people having the initiative to do their own editing is considered an exploit...

I still think it is considered an exploit unless it is stated in a topic or on the main website how to do it.
Cause like me I won't even spend time looking for the ini, searching what to change for etc.
It should be clear and fast. So if it is stated in a step by step guide on the forums then Oké els no but that is my opinion and I know yours is different.

(some games also got a statement that you are not allowed to change or alter any game files)

Corey will all controllers be supported or only specific ones ?

Oroibahazopi
1st Feb 2014, 11:12
I still think it is considered an exploit unless it is stated in a topic or on the main website how to do it.
Cause like me I won't even spend time looking for the ini, searching what to change for etc.
It should be clear and fast. So if it is stated in a step by step guide on the forums then Oké els no but that is my opinion and I know yours is different.

(some games also got a statement that you are not allowed to change or alter any game files)
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/files/f.png

cmstache
1st Feb 2014, 13:30
LOL @ the meme, maybe I should add it to my collection. That being said, anything not being shown to a casual gamer via the settings shouldn't be tweaked. There are tons of people who don't even know what an .ini file is, much less change it for fear of messing something up.

Oroibahazopi
1st Feb 2014, 13:41
News just in, anyone with a mouse with on the fly adjustable dpi is exploiting. Better ban myself.

lucinvampire
1st Feb 2014, 15:36
I spoke to our tech lead about this is and he informed me that those strings are set on our end and can't be changed through INI tweaks because some users were using them to exploit the game.

Thanks for letting us know Eric - most appreciated :D

Psyonix_Eric
1st Feb 2014, 16:59
News just in, anyone with a mouse with on the fly adjustable dpi is exploiting. Better ban myself.

Snarkiness aside, it is what it is. We're not closing off the ability for every INI setting to be editable, just the ones that we feel are important. If changing your INI is more important than a balanced game then I've got bad news for you. :P

Oroibahazopi
1st Feb 2014, 17:10
Huh? Yes you have changed the ability for people to edit their ini. BCMPsystemsettings.ini reverts to what you have set in game and wont accept changes when the game is launched, and you cannot set custom keybinds in BCMPinput.ini. What else is there?

You are making the game imba in favour of people who can afford high end gear, it's me who's trying to equalize the playing field here not you.

Syst3mzero
1st Feb 2014, 20:47
Huh? Yes you have changed the ability for people to edit their ini. BCMPsystemsettings.ini reverts to what you have set in game and wont accept changes when the game is launched, and you cannot set custom keybinds in BCMPinput.ini. What else is there?

You are making the game imba in favour of people who can afford high end gear, it's me who's trying to equalize the playing field here not you.

games have minimum specifications so that people can understand requirements and so that people who do purchase good hardware aren't punished. people with crap hardware aren't really most peoples target audience as if they cant be bothered or cant afford to upgrade their machine they either aren't real gamers or don't spend money on pc gaming.

your argument of "You are making the game imba [sic] in favour of people who can afford high end gear" yes that may be true and this is the way gaming works, that's why you won't see lost planet 2 on the Super Nintendo.

Oroibahazopi
1st Feb 2014, 20:59
I'm not talking about system specs. I agree and have no problem with setting minimum specs and forcing them for gpu, cpu and OS. Well for the most part. Thankfully the Devs, I'm assuming with feedback from Corey, added the "allowed" options to the in game options after the ini breakage I performed before.

This is different. Do you have a mouse with an adjustable dpi button, with extra buttons or with programmable buttons able to input multi key presses? If yes then you are exploiting extending the logic from the blue person. Do you draw a reticle on your monitor with a pen? Exploit.

Can you come up with an exploit that imbalances the game that revolves around setting your sensitivity by pressing a key?

Korevas
3rd Feb 2014, 10:59
Can you come up with an exploit that imbalances the game that revolves around setting your sensitivity by pressing a key?

Actually, yes. Any effect that would restrict your turning/aiming speed (=charge, divebomb) could be subject to "exploits" using sensitivity keybinds. Maybe they don't have much of these right now, but I could see skills that work to that effect coming in the future.

Besides, if you're really serious about it, you probably don't even need a razer mouse to do it, and there hardly is anything the devs could do about it so the point is kinda moot anyway. All they can do is make it slightly harder to access.

Also,

I look forward to possible pad support, should make it easier for us kb+mouse players to get massive scores.
In my opinion a pad player = a victim waiting to be killed.

is absolutely correct. I personally hope that matchmaking will help to keep kb/mouse and controller players apart though. =)

Oroibahazopi
3rd Feb 2014, 17:22
It's not an exploit to use a keybind... and as you say people with higher end gear will be doing it anyway so why not level the playing field for people with less cash to spend on equipment by adding a keybind.

netmota
5th Feb 2014, 02:32
Please add a standard option configuration to support the Xbox 360 controller. :D

david88strigoi
6th Mar 2014, 21:54
I think that would be a good idea adding another profile for a gamepad. I can change the controls and play with my controller but I would like to have the chance of chose between both options, and save them.
(Sorry for my bad english :( )

hirukaru
7th Mar 2014, 00:12
They are considering to make this.
But I think killing some bugs is more important atm.
and balancing stuff.

They even look if they can expend to "Next gen" consoles. But this will also be much much much later.:flowers:

Kainite
8th Mar 2014, 02:18
First off, I would like to thank the team behind Nosgoth for inviting me to the Beta testing! I'm having a blast! :worship:
And so far I haven't had any issues concerning how the game performs on my system, except that it crashed once when Steam showed its update window (the updates were from steam, not the game itself).

I wanted to play the game with my USB gamepad and I tried to bind the keys to the buttons on my gamepad but with no result. Will this game have gamepad support in the near future?

Thanks in advance and greetings from the Netherlands. :wave:

calypso-694
5th Jul 2014, 02:51
So posting this suggestion here seeing as how it deals with gamepads and im probably one of the few who uses one when playing... for the human side the gamepad is fine, plays like an a everyday shooter. no problem.

but for the vampires....

its a bit clunky. my only real issue is the camera. when playing with a mouse and keyboard you have a locked camera. your mouse acts as both camera and partical movement for vampires, such as when attacking or looking around.

on a gamepad the camera is a free moving, open camera although its more traditional when playing hack and slash games or even the old LOK games to have this type of camera, it isn't suited to Nosgoth IMO. when attacking on the vamp side you can loose focus of your target quickly and having to turn that camera in the right direction when under fire is a bit annoying. I understand its a small issue but sometimes those are what make the biggest difference. I suggest a locked/fixed camera or putting it as an option to turn on and off when using gamepads.

a simpler way of explaining this lol is...when playing as humans they have a locked camera to look around for aiming etc....do the same thing for vamps now.

Vampmaster
5th Jul 2014, 09:17
Make it optional though. I'm sure I'm not the only one who prefers the SR2 style camera.

RainaAudron
5th Jul 2014, 17:02
Game already fully supports Xbox 360 controllers, not sure about others yet.

RainaAudron
11th Aug 2014, 19:38
What do you mean? You can play Nosgoth with an Xbox360 controller without kb/m.

2old2play007
11th Aug 2014, 20:11
What do you mean? You can play Nosgoth with an Xbox360 controller without kb/m.

Yes, you can! :) However, you cannot change the key bindings or adjust the sensitivity yet. At this point, I think the mouse allows for more precision movement. For example, adjusting a reaver's pounce at the very last minute with the mouse. Having said that, given the option, I will always choose the gamepad.

Sanguise23
11th Aug 2014, 20:32
KB/M > controller although controllers are nice for certain things, but not nosgoth

Vercadi
11th Aug 2014, 20:44
KB/M > controller although controllers are nice for certain things, but not nosgoth

xbox controller is awesome for nosgoth! Although playing as hunter and scout especially makes it pretty hard to aim. But as Vampire I never once had any problems.

Sanguise23
11th Aug 2014, 20:50
hmmm, good to know but for a shooter of any kind mouse is better IMO way easier to quickly aim

2old2play007
11th Aug 2014, 21:06
hmmm, good to know but for a shooter of any kind mouse is better IMO way easier to quickly aim

I used to feel that way and it was certainly true with the first Xbox, but current console generation gamers can compete and perform just as well in first person shooters as their PC counterparts in the same game. It depends on the game too, and in Nosgoth the mouse keyboard combo is better.

Sanguise23
11th Aug 2014, 21:11
I used to feel that way and it was certainly true with the first Xbox, but current console generation gamers can compete and perform just as well in first person shooters as their PC counterparts in the same game. It depends on the game too, and in Nosgoth the mouse keyboard combo is better.
if this is true id be surprised (not calling you a liar i just dont believe it)

Vercadi
12th Aug 2014, 10:11
if this is true id be surprised (not calling you a liar i just dont believe it)

Agree, people playing fps on console has nothing on FPS on PC. Mouse and keyboard will always be the superior.

ExodusWolf
12th Aug 2014, 14:52
The xbox one controller is supported aswell and thats what i use. And its the player not the tools he uses that makes them good, so i can see any player regardless which they chose to use to be good and saying a gampad cant compete with kb&m is like saying someone using an arcade pad cant beat someone using a gampad in a fighting game its not about the tool its the player.

Now u can like whichever u want i personally play nosgoth with a gampad but other games with kb&m.

and i believe changing the look sensitivity applies to the gampad aswell

Peace...