PDA

View Full Version : Nothing seems to work.

SomeoneSad
19th Jan 2010, 21:03
So yesterday I received Batman in my mail. I bought it from an online game shop.
Like about 99% of the rest of players the game doesn't work.
I tried reinstalling,updating drivers,patches, read about every thread on this forum trying to fix my problem, but nothing.
For info: I have a computer that should easily be able to play this game on max settings. So it isn't a pc related problem.

My problem?
Once I try to launch the game using BmStartApp I get an error, it's in dutch, but translated it should be something as "BM game stopped working". So I axctually get nothing to see of the game, no company logos, nothing.
So I have no clue anymore on how to solve this.

Words can't express how sad I am having to purchased this game, offcourse without knowledge it was this incredible bugged.

Using this thread as a final resort,hoping someone knows something on how to solve this.
And I really thing that Eidos should either: take this game out of the shops. As it clearly hasn't been tested properly. Or either give a serious warning, informing the customers that their is a big chance that it simply won't start.

Also I would like to add in that it saddens me even more seeing that about 99% of the usefull info is given by players. And that the developers/whatever clearly have no clue on how to solve any issues.

I certainly will advice my friends to avoid this game on the PC as the plague. And personally will never even purchase a game linked to Eidos ever again.
This was the first game I bought in a year, since I am a MMORPG player. But how I regret having done this.

People may find this textwall alot of rubbish, but I just wanted to express my feelings.

Nemesis296
19th Jan 2010, 21:26
What OS are you using? It might be the way you're trying to load the game. I was never able to run the game straight from the EXE file I don't believe. It has to go through the SecuROM checker if I'm not mistaken...

SomeoneSad
19th Jan 2010, 21:32
I use Windows Vista 32bit.

deders
19th Jan 2010, 22:16
Are you using SLI? i get the same crash unless i disable it

SomeoneSad
19th Jan 2010, 22:21
Not using SLI.

cyborg34572
19th Jan 2010, 23:36
Not 99 percent of people have problems with the game.
And most of the time, people that do have problems with the game is caused by their hardware build or because of a software conflict.

I agree with you that they should test thier product more before they release it, But the problem is , theres just too many diff types of hardware combinations and software conflicts , its not possible for them to test the game out on every possible hardware combination.

SomeoneSad
20th Jan 2010, 12:20
Well that's that then.
I simply purchased a game I'll never be able to play.
Don't even wanna count the hours I tried solving this.
I never even got to see any company logo.
Tried every possible thing, from updating drivers,whatever to patching to reinstalling.....
Would like to thank the developers/everyone working on this game. You clearly showed that Eidos has no knowledge of computer based games. Just stick to your consoles and leave the computer games to company that have the skills for it.

Marcus
20th Jan 2010, 12:27
Post your dxdiag - maybe there's something there that somebody will recognise?

SomeoneSad
20th Jan 2010, 12:48
Wasn't sure if everything was needed. Hope someone has a clue what could be wrong.
Thanks ahead

my DxDiag:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/20/2010, 13:29:50
Machine name: private
Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090805-0102)
Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)
System Manufacturer: MEDIONPC
System Model: MS-7502
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 3326MB RAM
Page File: 1699MB used, 5143MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Sound Tab 3: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 230
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GT 230
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0621&SUBSYS_127C1462&REV_A1
Display Memory: 1904 MB
Dedicated Memory: 497 MB
Shared Memory: 1407 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Algemeen PnP-beeldscherm
Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
Driver Version: 8.17.0011.9562 (English)
DDI Version: 10
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 11/21/2009 03:34:54, 9333352 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4561-11CF-8852-77321FC2C535}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0621
SubSys ID: 0x127C1462
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C

DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Luidsprekers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_1462502A&REV_1001
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: RTKVHDA.sys
Driver Version: 6.00.0001.5783 (English)
Date and Size: 2/3/2009 16:22:20, 2320480 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Basic
Cap Flags: 0xF1F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

Description: Luidsprekers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_1462502A&REV_1001
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: RTKVHDA.sys
Driver Version: 6.00.0001.5783 (English)
Date and Size: 2/3/2009 16:22:20, 2320480 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Basic
Cap Flags: 0xF1F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

Got more info, but think this is the most important if not, plz say it and I'll upload missing part.

Nemesis296
20th Jan 2010, 13:34
^^ One thing I can see is the Realtek Audio Card...there *ARE* known issues stated at install with Realtek sound cards. Not sure if that's the entire problem, but it's a start. Are you sure that you got updated drivers for everything?

Also, your graphics card isn't complex enough to handle the PhysX in the game. Is that setting turned off prior to loading the game?

Open the launcher and turn everything down to the lowest possible setting. Make sure you close down all extra programs before running the game.

Just throwing out suggestions here.

The thing you have to understand too, like another poster said...testing for computer software to work is such a nightmare. There are just millions and billions of different hardware and software configurations that the company CANNOT possibly test for them all. It would literally be impossible. Just because it doesn't work on YOUR computer, doesn't mean it doesn't work and they didn't test it enough. You just have to tweak your setup to be compatible with the game. Not bragging, but I only had hiccups with GFWL when trying to play it on my PC. The game never crashed on me.

My specs (were) (I upgraded to W7 since):
Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium
4 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 260 GTX paired with a 128 MB PhysX accelerator
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Audio card
1.8GHz Duo Core Processor

Marcus
20th Jan 2010, 13:37
A couple of thoughts:

Try installing the drivers for your monitor, rather than using the standard pnp drivers.

Check that your monitor's resolution matches that of the desktop setting (for instance, a 1600x1200 monitor will run fine in Windows if told to display 1690x1050, but games may not work)

Audio acceleration on Realtek sound cards is a known issue. On Vista, I don't think you can manually disable the acceleration, but I believe that the latest Realtek drivers might fix the problem - go to the Realtek website and check that you do have the latest drivers for your card.

Make sure you have the latest GFWL:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=98381&highlight=bmgame.exe+stopped

The latest Vista Service Pack is SP2, isn't it? You should install that.

SomeoneSad
20th Jan 2010, 13:40
^^ One thing I can see is the Realtek Audio Card...there *ARE* known issues stated at install with Realtek sound cards. Not sure if that's the entire problem, but it's a start. Are you sure that you got updated drivers for everything?

Also, your graphics card isn't complex enough to handle the PhysX in the game. Is that setting turned off prior to loading the game?

Open the launcher and turn everything down to the lowest possible setting. Make sure you close down all extra programs before running the game.

Just throwing out suggestions here.

The thing you have to understand too, like another poster said...testing for computer software to work is such a nightmare. There are just millions and billions of different hardware and software configurations that the company CANNOT possibly test for them all. It would literally be impossible. Just because it doesn't work on YOUR computer, doesn't mean it doesn't work and they didn't test it enough. You just have to tweak your setup to be compatible with the game. Not bragging, but I only had hiccups with GFWL when trying to play it on my PC. The game never crashed on me.

My specs (were) (I upgraded to W7 since):
Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium
4 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 260 GTX paired with a 128 MB PhysX accelerator
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Audio card
1.8GHz Duo Core Processor

First off all thanks for your reply.
I turned of the PhysX,set everything to lowest but it didn't do anything.
My drivers etc. are updated yes.

SomeoneSad
20th Jan 2010, 13:44
A couple of thoughts:

Try installing the drivers for your monitor, rather than using the standard pnp drivers.

Check that your monitor's resolution matches that of the desktop setting (for instance, a 1600x1200 monitor will run fine in Windows if told to display 1690x1050, but games may not work)

Audio acceleration on Realtek sound cards is a known issue. On Vista, I don't think you can manually disable the acceleration, but I believe that the latest Realtek drivers might fix the problem - go to the Realtek website and check that you do have the latest drivers for your card.

Make sure you have the latest GFWL:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=98381&highlight=bmgame.exe+stopped

The latest Vista Service Pack is SP2, isn't it? You should install that.

Thanks for your help.
Something I was wondering: does GFWL effect me alot when I use the disc version?
Cause I honestly have no idea where I would be able to attach my activation key.

SomeoneSad
20th Jan 2010, 14:09
Downloading Vista Service Pack 2. Will keep up to date.

Nemesis296
20th Jan 2010, 15:31
Hmm, trying to think what else you can try? By the way, do not expect to get a developer response from Eidos. They got their money from you already, but we'll do what we can here in the community to help you get this running :)

Other suggestions:

-Run in compatibility mode for Windows XP (SP2)
-Disable your Sound Card and try to run the game

Question:
Have you installed the GFWL client? You need to create an account or log in with an existing one and add your activation key to your account in order to play the game if I remember correctly. I can't remember if GFWL was something I had to download on the side, or if it was installed automatically. I do know too, that you have to update the game with GFWL which takes a while. It wouldn't let me save my game until I updated the game through GFWL to 1.1.

SomeoneSad
20th Jan 2010, 17:32
Hmm, trying to think what else you can try? By the way, do not expect to get a developer response from Eidos. They got their money from you already, but we'll do what we can here in the community to help you get this running :)

Other suggestions:

-Run in compatibility mode for Windows XP (SP2)
-Disable your Sound Card and try to run the game

Question:
Have you installed the GFWL client? You need to create an account or log in with an existing one and add your activation key to your account in order to play the game if I remember correctly. I can't remember if GFWL was something I had to download on the side, or if it was installed automatically. I do know too, that you have to update the game with GFWL which takes a while. It wouldn't let me save my game until I updated the game through GFWL to 1.1.

Yeah thanks alot.
And wasn't expecting any help from a developer because you clearly can notice on this forum that they have no clue on what to do. But thanks alot for the community helping.
So installing the Vista service pack 2 and realtek driver upgrade didn't help anything.
Any tips are greatly appreciated!

ps. how do I add my activation key to my GFWL account? No where notice an option for it:s

Nemesis296
20th Jan 2010, 19:02
Trying to remember, but I thought it was when you log into the GFWL client, and you choose to add a program to your account (?) It's been a few months so I'm not 100% sure. I do know though that you need the GFWL account registered in order to save the game, so if/when you get the game working you'll need that part too to consider the game in working condition.

You probably will need to download the GFWL client from M$ and then create a new account for use with Batman: Arkham Asylum (unless you already have one)

SomeoneSad
20th Jan 2010, 19:08
Trying to remember, but I thought it was when you log into the GFWL client, and you choose to add a program to your account (?) It's been a few months so I'm not 100% sure. I do know though that you need the GFWL account registered in order to save the game, so if/when you get the game working you'll need that part too to consider the game in working condition.

You probably will need to download the GFWL client from M$ and then create a new account for use with Batman: Arkham Asylum (unless you already have one)

When I log into my GFWL I see no option to add a game sadly.

Nemesis296
20th Jan 2010, 19:30
Hmm, strange. Oh, and though this may sound painstakingly obvious, but did you try re-installing the game?

EDIT: Looks like you have I read your first post. Can you post a screenshot of how you're starting the game?

SomeoneSad
20th Jan 2010, 20:40
Hmm, strange. Oh, and though this may sound painstakingly obvious, but did you try re-installing the game?

EDIT: Looks like you have I read your first post. Can you post a screenshot of how you're starting the game?

I tried BMLauncher and BmStartAPP.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/7034/batman1p.jpg (http://img22.imageshack.us/i/batman1p.jpg/)

This is the error I get. It's dutch for: BMGame stopped working.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/9439/batman2o.jpg (http://img59.imageshack.us/i/batman2o.jpg/)

Nemesis296
20th Jan 2010, 21:33
Pretty sure that's because you can't start the game that way :lol:

Open the Games folder (Start Menu > Games) and double click the Batman: Arkham Asylum icon. Try that and see if it doesn't give you the same result.

I'm not entirely sure how to explain it, but when you install games with Vista, the shortcuts to run the actual program go into the Games folder; you shouldn't have to go into Program Files to play a game. Imagine how mad basic users would get if they couldn't figure it out :rasp:

SomeoneSad
20th Jan 2010, 21:56
Sadly that doesn't work.
Wish I was that easy>.<

cyborg34572
21st Jan 2010, 03:08
"Pretty sure that's because you can't start the game that way

Open the Games folder (Start Menu > Games) and double click the Batman: Arkham Asylum icon. Try that and see if it doesn't give you the same result.
"

It doesnt make a difference actually.
The games shortcuts that are in the desktop or Gamesfolder are just shortcuts of the main executable's in the games main folder(So their just basicaly the same thing). So if the main executables dont work then even the shortcuts wont.

Nemesis296
21st Jan 2010, 05:28
Sadly that doesn't work.
Wish I was that easy>.<

Did you try the ShippingPC-BmGame EXE?

EDIT: cyborg, it does make a difference in some ways though. I was unable to use a shortcut to the launcher, but if I clicked it in the Games folder it worked just fine...weird I know.

trancer-necromancer
21st Jan 2010, 08:20
run the bmlauncher.exe
then click on play.

how did you disable physx? dont disable it from the nvidia panel, you need to disable via bmlauncher and settings.

SomeoneSad
21st Jan 2010, 09:34
run the bmlauncher.exe
then click on play.

how did you disable physx? dont disable it from the nvidia panel, you need to disable via bmlauncher and settings.

Thanks for the help first of all.
Disabled PhysX true the BmLauncher settings.
tried playing thru BMlauncher.exe.
All nothing sadly.

SomeoneSad
22nd Jan 2010, 01:10
Reinstalled game for 5th time or so and now suddenly it works:s
Thanks alot for help everyone.

Marcus
22nd Jan 2010, 10:11
Good to hear!

Perhaps there was something in the install process that was relevant to the updated drivers/etc you installed - so while installing the drivers didn't fix what was already installed, it meant that future installs would work...

Certainly not conclusive, but now we have a process to suggest for anybody else who encounters something similar :)

Nemesis296
22nd Jan 2010, 13:18
Reinstalled game for 5th time or so and now suddenly it works:s
Thanks alot for help everyone.

Hooray! :D Glad to hear that!

SomeoneSad
22nd Jan 2010, 18:24
Yeah I removed everything related to the game (windows live thing etc.)
That I didn't do before, so that was the problem I guess:)