PDA

View Full Version : batman = crash friendly game

trancer-necromancer
14th Jan 2010, 19:07
so i purchased this from direct2drive.....and right from the start this has been a PIA to play. In fact it has been the most frustrating gaming experience in my 20 years of gaming.

Usually you install the game and expect to start playing, but no! i had to wait 1 hour to update to patch 1.1 due to gfwl. then it took me 9 times in different configurations to get by the first cutscene. finally only by turning physx off i was able to proceed. imagine you start to play a game and you go thru the same cutscene again and again, you cant escape it either till you meet gordon! have any of your testers at eidos ever thought of this? And i have a core i7 920/gtx 285 and if i have to turn physx off to run the game, then what is the point of bragging about physx when your game is crashing at random moments.

and its not just that, every time you crash you restart the game, the boring senseless intro videos load, yeah nvidia logo...ok thanks. next chore you have to spend time with gfwl log on. so you enter your id, password and then after a few clicks finally you get back to the game. this thing just KILLS the fun of gaming when your game crashes over and over again, which happens quite effortlessly with this title!!

with physx turned off the games crashes fewer times, but again in crucial moments when your fighting bosses etc if you loose, then after the cutscene again the game crashes. Obviously there has been no testing at all for the pc platform!! it seems to me this is a rushed title. And eidos has not been quick to fix these bugs either. i am sure i am not the only one with the problem. i see a lot of users on these boards are having the same issues

Another PIA is the combat controls. They are fine for the thugs, but with the bosses the controls are simply not playable for PC. Why do you ruin pc users gaming experience with S***ty console controls? you are quick to charge $50, but you havent made half the effort to fix these issues. Scarecrow, Croc(at the end) and Ivy all have problems with the combat controls. It just wasn't designed to be played on a pc keyboard. In the ivy stage many times the batrang gets stuck and you end up loosing and to irritate you to the max the game crashes if you try to reload the checkpoint or when you finally loose. I tell you it is simply frustrating and impossible to play this game anymore.

This game should be given the most crash friendly game of the year award. Keep it up eidos :thumb:

Beren
16th Jan 2010, 16:14
I certainly agree with you on the buggy game issue. I have also been gaming for over 20 years now (1985, Commodore 64, although hey, I also played Atari 2600 at friends' place before that)

Anyway, I'm a huge Batman fan and I was REALLY looking forward to this game. Maybe I'll add a link later to where I posted my experiences with this game. Never had so many issues with any game ever.

I do play it quite well with mouse and keyboard, however. Don't see much of an issue there. Was even prepared to buy a 360 controller because I read it was much easier with that than KB and mouse but I tested it at a friend's and I disliked how slowly the camera movement worked vs with mouse. So I think that's a matter of practice.

I will also refrain from any future games that require GFWL, even if it's Batman. The countless hours wasted getting this game to work... ugghhh. Also, Eidos lost major points with me over this game. It's such a great game but buggy as hell.

At the very least, GFWL should have only been required if one wanted to compete in the leaderboards. Other games work like that (Battle for Middle-Earth comes to mind). But there is rampant cheating on the leaderboards, so what is the point!!??

Also switched off PhysX at times when the game would crash at the same point over and over. I have a GTX 280, for the record.

Beren

P.S. Here is the link where I described my frustration in more detail ;)

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=99342

trancer-necromancer
18th Jan 2010, 03:26
thanks for sharing your experiences too beren. this will make the users more aware.

I do play it quite well with mouse and keyboard, however. Don't see much of an issue there. Was even prepared to buy a 360 controller because I read it was much easier with that than KB and mouse but I tested it at a friend's and I disliked how slowly the camera movement worked vs with mouse. So I think that's a matter of practice.thanks for sharing your experiences too beren. my issue with the controls is only during the boss fights. jump/block/movements dont work too well when you are surrounded by ai. plus the movement becomes uncoordinated due to the camera fov. these movements will be fine with a joystick but not with a keyboard. like with the scarecrow, at the end of croc, the joker end level where the camera is kind of fixed and feels almost like 2d.

berdugo
18th Jul 2011, 14:29
how do i turn off PhysX???