PDA

View Full Version : It's been 14 years...

chriss_99
13th Jan 2010, 08:48
It has been almost 14 years since the first Tomb Raider was released. I can hardly believe this is true!

On one hand, it makes me realise how old I am :rolleyes:, considering the fact that many forum members are 14 years old or less, but on the other hand I am so very happy that I have lived in times when the very first Tomb Raider was created.

Surely, the game has changed through the years. Although, some people say that the series is going downhill, I, personally, am very happy with Crystal Dynamics' work.
Perhaps the reason why Tomb Raider isn't as popular as it used to be is the fact that the game industry has changed. In 1996, TR was a revolutionary game and one of its kind, now there are thousands different games being released every year. I find it quite overwhelming even for Lara Croft, but I do believe that she has the potential to beat all the other games ;)

The most important thing is that Lara Croft hasn't been abandoned and the 9th installment is on its way :D

Do you boys and girls have any reflections while considering the upcoming 14th Anniversary?

Max 28
13th Jan 2010, 10:06
Wow, that's a long time ago. But my first TR was The Last Revelation. I remember being awed by the levers, the swimming, that annoying wild boar. (It took me quite a while to get past the first level :p)

So I guess I was sucked into TR around the age of five. :) It's been pretty amazing really. :D

Quetzalcoatl
13th Jan 2010, 10:38
It has been almost 14 years since the first Tomb Raider was released. I can hardly believe this is true!

On one hand, it makes me realise how old I am :rolleyes:, considering the fact that many forum members are 14 years old or less, but on the other hand I am so very happy that I have lived in times when the very first Tomb Raider was created.

Surely, the game has changed through the years. Although, some people say that the series is going downhill, I, personally, am very happy with Crystal Dynamics' work.
Perhaps the reason why Tomb Raider isn't as popular as it used to be is the fact that the game industry has changed. In 1996, TR was a revolutionary game and one of its kind, now there are thousands different games being released every year. I find it quite overwhelming even for Lara Croft, but I do believe that she has the potential to beat all the other games ;)

The most important thing is that Lara Croft hasn't been abandoned and the 9th installment is on its way :D

Do you boys and girls have any reflections while considering the upcoming 14th Anniversary?

I hear ya Chriss99! I still clearly remember playing the first tomb raider on my Sega Saturn on christmas morning 1996!:lol: I'd got the Saturn for my 16th birthday in September and the TR demo came with it. It was the only demo I played and I was mesmerised (and at first a little disoriented, as I'd never played a 3D game before lol). I played the demo for three months, just wondering around the level, exploring and listening to the music. I didn't realise you had to push the box/crate to get into the room with the key and idol! lol Although the graphics look like a joke now, they were amazing at the time and my imagination did the rest! I still remember being glued to the tv on christmas day playing the Caves and City of Vilcabamba while it snowed outside. And how excited I got when I realised what you had to do with the box and finding the key!:lol:

So I've been a fan ever since and I do feel old now we're in 2010. I remember spending half my life playing TR2-TR5 on my PC and I loved every minute! lol I never played TR:AOD, as it was the only game that didn't appeal to me. And then when Legend came out I got an xbox especially to play it in all its new glory.

I never really play any other games, in fact I've bought quite a few and never enjoyed them (except MK games, Sonic and Mario). Apart from that I only bother with TR. Nothing else seems to live up to it for me and any game I play I compare it to TR lol

I know some people can be negative and say TR is going downhill, but people have been saying that since TR3! And it's still here! There's a whole TR/Lara Croft franchise now and we're onto our 9th game, which isn't including games on portable consoles. So I don't think it's going downhill, I'll always love TR.

Bring on TR9!

jayjay119
13th Jan 2010, 11:51

Ditto on the age thing lol. I was also there when TR-mania first hit the shelves, the Spice girls were ruling the pop charts, the playstation was just taking over and there was some really questionable pastel coloured shirts flying around... times are indeed better now lol

As it is, looking back across the last 14 years of TR goodness we have had, the series has become a little deflated for reasons we won't go into her but with a new decade and a new publisher i'm hoping that TR is about to get the love and attention it has needed for virtually all of the last decade!

Jason Miller
13th Jan 2010, 13:28
I think I'm going to cry:'(

tombraidergal
13th Jan 2010, 15:11
woow... tomb raider will go on for as long as needs be... i first played TR3 demo on my playstation when i was about 7 and i loved it. my brother and i used to act out some dodgy bits from the demo, it was so funny. my first game was legend though.... Lara will live on and when she finally leaves us (it will happen) she will be one of the heroines people remember like we all know james bond... etc. ;) 14th anniversary... hmm.... lara is pretty old!!!

rain122793
13th Jan 2010, 17:11
I could always remember the family all sitting down and my dad would play TR and it was a way we all could spend some time together because he worked nights and we never really got to be a family much. And we would all be yelling at the screen telling him where we thought he should go and just have so much fun with it! I've grown up with this game and it still holds its own. I am proud to say that I am such a fan that I could sit and tell you everything about every level of any game in detail (tho that photo graphic memory prolly helps out too lol). 14 years for a game... wow! That's a long time and look at it, it's still going.
I am a Tomb Raider fan and I always will be!

IvanaKC
13th Jan 2010, 17:39
Hehe, Chris, Tomb Raider is still more than a year younger than me! :p

chriss_99
13th Jan 2010, 18:27
I hear ya Chriss99! I still clearly remember playing the first tomb raider on my Sega Saturn on christmas morning 1996!:lol: I'd got the Saturn for my 16th birthday in September and the TR demo came with it. It was the only demo I played and I was mesmerised (and at first a little disoriented, as I'd never played a 3D game before lol). I played the demo for three months, just wondering around the level, exploring and listening to the music. I didn't realise you had to push the box/crate to get into the room with the key and idol! lol Although the graphics look like a joke now, they were amazing at the time and my imagination did the rest! I still remember being glued to the tv on christmas day playing the Caves and City of Vilcabamba while it snowed outside. And how excited I got when I realised what you had to do with the box and finding the key!:lol:

My story is very similar Quetzalcoatl! :D I had also been playing TR1 Demo for quite some time before I got my hands on the full game. What's more, I had an indentical situation with the rock which you need to push in The City of Vilcabamba. When I finally realized that you need push the rock, I didn't know that you have to press ctrl+ arrow up in order to push it. I kept pushing arrow up+ctrl and I thought that it doesn't work because Lara is tired :lol::lol::lol:
As you said, imagination had played a big part in TR1 :D

Katie_Fleming
13th Jan 2010, 20:50
Long Live Lara Croft!

nikkinickels
14th Jan 2010, 01:23
ah man, boy do i miss the 90's :/

MaloneCroft09
14th Jan 2010, 10:15
I fell in love with Lara and TR when i played Legend and after Anniversary dissing the games in front of me was a BAD idea. :lol: And if u could have seen my face when i saw the TRU Gameplay Trailer!!:eek::lol:

When Lara does leave us im going to be heartbroken:(:(:mad2:

LONG LIVE LARA CROFT!!

Ants_27_
14th Jan 2010, 18:44
When Lara does leave us im going to be heartbroken:(:(:mad2:

Isn't that what would make it epic though? I mean, if you go into a game knowing it will be the last, surely it would make it all that more special. An example being: MGS4. That's the only game/piece of fiction that almost reduced me to tears. It was just phenomenal to know that it was Snakes last adventure/mission... My point being that I think it's more of an emotional journey as opposed to any other.

If TR has been out 14 years then how long has Metal Gear been out?!

Anyway, back on subject. I will add one thing, time is a shockingly odd concept. I mean I was born 92 and I remember hell of a lot of stuff that I could easily believe happened only yesturday... like toy story 2 on the PS1 or just the PS1 in general. :nut:

josh1122
14th Jan 2010, 22:57
[QUOTE=Ants_27_;1250552]Isn't that what would make it epic though? I mean, if you go into a game knowing it will be the last, surely it would make it all that more special. An example being: MGS4. That's the only game/piece of fiction that almost reduced me to tears. It was just phenomenal to know that it was Snakes last adventure/mission... My point being that I think it's more of an emotional journey as opposed to any other.

QUOTE]

Metal Gear has been around since the 80's :thumb:

But most people are not familiar with the older games and the first game they remember is Metal Gear Solid for ps1

jayjay119
14th Jan 2010, 23:05
Isn't that what would make it epic though? I mean, if you go into a game knowing it will be the last, surely it would make it all that more special. An example being: MGS4. That's the only game/piece of fiction that almost reduced me to tears.

I didn't really think that MGS4 was that sad, well not emotionally I was glad Snake got such a well resolved ending, MGS3 moved me to tears at the end. Plus I don't believe it will ever truly be the end for Solid Snake, I still expect a remake of the MSX Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 games from the 80's as with the release of Peace Walker in March the timeline has been covered up to those games form both sides and those games are too old for many of todays gamers to remember (first time round). There has been speculation among fans that MGS: Rising may just be such a remake!

But most people are not familiar with the older games and the first game they remember is Metal Gear Solid for ps1

Exactly, the first time I played them was when they were released as extras for MGS3: Subsistance but they felt like they deserve a remake to complete the timeline for fans today.

josh1122
14th Jan 2010, 23:18
Metal Gear Rising has nothing to do with Snake, it only involves Raiden

jayjay119
14th Jan 2010, 23:29
Metal Gear Rising has nothing to do with Snake, it only involves Raiden

Or so we think, you know what Hideo Kojima is liek for hiding information. The Raiden in the trailer launch trailer has brown eyes (and Raiden in MGS2 and 3 has blue eyes) leading fans to think that the 'Raiden' in the launch trailer may actually be Gray Fox (who does have brown eyes and had shares a facial structure and hair colour with Raiden.)

josh1122
15th Jan 2010, 00:50
Or so we think, you know what Hideo Kojima is liek for hiding information. The Raiden in the trailer launch trailer has brown eyes (and Raiden in MGS2 and 3 has blue eyes) leading fans to think that the 'Raiden' in the launch trailer may actually be Gray Fox (who does have brown eyes and had shares a facial structure and hair colour with Raiden.)

he actually said himself its only about Raiden.

I'll believe the man himself before speculation lol

jayjay119
15th Jan 2010, 01:23
he actually said himself its only about Raiden.

I'll believe the man himself before speculation lol

Did he? I don't recall, anyway he also said Snake would be the main playable character of MGS2, there was even promo videos of him in the plant portion of the game. You have every right not to think anything of this i'm just saying as far as Hideo Kojima is concerned nothing is concrete until the game hits the shelves.

Ants_27_
15th Jan 2010, 12:57

I seem to have habit of talking MGS every time I make a post!:lol: I don't mean to, I swear.

But yeah, I was surprised that the series started in the 80's... granted I've never played them because I wasn't born then but I do want to play them... here's hoping they remake them.:D

I didn't really think that MGS4 was that sad, well not emotionally I was glad Snake got such a well resolved ending, MGS3 moved me to tears at the end.

That's true (I always thought the bit with the boss at the end of MGS 3 was awesome). Anyway, I think the bit that I felt sad at was the end of act 3 I think and going back to that shadow mosses (spelling?) level. It was great how they added the ps1 version just before you arrived.:thumb:

Or so we think, you know what Hideo Kojima is liek for hiding information. The Raiden in the trailer launch trailer has brown eyes (and Raiden in MGS2 and 3 has blue eyes).

That could also be true, I hope they release more information on it soon... plus I just realised that the Peace Walker demo is on the store.

Anyway, I think if a game manage to reach past the 10 year mark they deserve some credit, regardless if they are still great sellers or not.

jayjay119
15th Jan 2010, 13:00
^ True but I guess thats just based on what you consider a 'great seller' to be, as I recall non of the long running series are sellng as much as they did in the 90's but still doing well as it goes. 2.5 million sales (Underworld) or there abouts is still not a failure in my mind.

IvanaKC
15th Jan 2010, 13:32
[QUOTE=Ants_27_;1250552]Isn't that what would make it epic though? I mean, if you go into a game knowing it will be the last, surely it would make it all that more special. An example being: MGS4. That's the only game/piece of fiction that almost reduced me to tears. It was just phenomenal to know that it was Snakes last adventure/mission... My point being that I think it's more of an emotional journey as opposed to any other.

QUOTE]

Hey hey, I am! I'm the one with older brother who played first MGS! And I remember hating solid snake's blond brother! XD and I remember playing super mario bros, but first super mario. And I remember playing with guns for play station and shooting all those poor ducks :lol:

I'm 15 years old, but I have big gaming experience! :lol:

josh1122
15th Jan 2010, 14:29
[QUOTE=josh1122;1250746]

Hey hey, I am! I'm the one with older brother who played first MGS! And I remember hating solid snake's blond brother! XD and I remember playing super mario bros, but first super mario. And I remember playing with guns for play station and shooting all those poor ducks :lol:

I'm 15 years old, but I have big gaming experience! :lol:

That's cool lol

The first Metal Gears were hard to get ahold of as they were only released on the MSX2 and then later the U.S. got the crappy version on NES, which Kojima had nothing to do with it and we botched it all up lol...ahh

I was an 80's baby but a 90's kid :p

@jay

I'll see it to believe it, kojima spent all his time directly with Peace Walker and is barely(if you can even count barely) involved in Risings developement

IvanaKC
15th Jan 2010, 19:39
let's just say that I'm in love with old-fashioned 90's games, and I really loove new ones.

_Love2Raid_
15th Jan 2010, 23:23
Fourteen years and still going strong. :cool:

Danielsun_
16th Jan 2010, 20:53
wasnt this post meant to be about tomb raider not MGS? lol

jayjay119
16th Jan 2010, 20:56
wasnt this post meant to be about tomb raider not MGS? lol
It was but things often deviate here lol.

AssassinX21
18th Jan 2010, 23:18
Yes, it's been 14 long years. I remember when the first 1 came out when I was like 8. Lol.

It's been a great experience, although I'm saddened to say the series really died 6 years ago, after that I haven't enjoyed 1 TR game made by CD, except for Anniversary.

jayjay119
19th Jan 2010, 02:16
Yes, it's been 14 long years. I remember when the first 1 came out when I was like 8. Lol.

It's been a great experience, although I'm saddened to say the series really died 6 years ago, after that I haven't enjoyed 1 TR game made by CD, except for Anniversary.

so why are you here? Obviously you do enjoy CD's games to soem extent otherwise you wouldn't have followed the franchise through these 6 years of death as you describe them. No CD is not perfect but neither were Core and CD are doing a good job.

chriss_99
19th Jan 2010, 08:58
I sometimes think that the attitude of TR fans is bizzare. Some of them have the inclination to constantly complain about the game. Sometimes it's really difficult to read such statements on and on. If someone doesn't enjoy the game, stop playing it. No one forces you to buy and like the game. Now I know that everyone has his\her own opinion and I do respect that, but perhaps it's time to try out different games, as far as people who didn't enjoy a single TR game since 2003 are concerned. There is really no need to suffer. Video games ought to be fun in the first place ;)

Max 28
20th Jan 2010, 02:37
But they can join the forums to discuss the classic games of which they did enjoy. And post ideas on how to improve the next game so they will enjoy it. :)