PDA

View Full Version : Help Please: Sound/Lag Issues

jabberstring
10th Jan 2010, 13:34
I am having static-like sound interruptions any time I'm not in a cutscene. They run pretty constantly and it's making the game unplayable. Also, I notice the game play runs normally at first, but then the sound issues kick in and the gameplay seems to slow down. It picks up speed here and there, but is consistently experiencing the problem. I think the sound and gameplay issues are related somehow. I notice the problems only during gameplay and it started from the beginning of the game. I'm still experiencing them just after killing Victor Zsasz.

I am playing B:AA through my Steam download and it says its version 1.1
I updated my NVIDIA drivers to 195.62
I updated my Realtek HD Audio drivers to 6.0.1.5983
I tried the Arkham Asylum demo and liked it a lot. Had no technical issues with the demo.

=System Specs=
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
Mobo: Foxconn Renaissance
Sound: Onboard Realtek HD Audio (Harp Card)
Video: EVGA GTX 260 Core 216
RAM: 6GB OCZ DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
HD: WD10EADS 1TB SATA II 7200 RPM 32MB Buffer

jabberstring
10th Jan 2010, 14:42
Update: I just downloaded Dragon Age: Origins and have noticed the static sound issue here as well. It seems to appear when low-frequency sounds in-game come up. In B:AA the sound issue starts when low-frequency sounds come up too. After that, people start talking in slow motion as well.

Come to think of it, I noticed the "slow down" and sound problems towards the end of play Mass Effect just recently, and now the problem seems to be across these three games. All are downloaded from Steam. Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.

jabberstring
10th Jan 2010, 17:10
Take a look at my post on the BitDefender forums (http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=17693).

I believe it is their antivirus software which caused these problems. I just uninstalled BitDefender Antivirus 2010 and it all seems to work fine now.

If you use BD Antivirus 2010, please post here and let me know if you've experienced these issues as well.

Thanks.

andin101
13th Jan 2010, 06:10
I am having this issue too, a static/crackling sound especially noticeable on the deeper sounds. I do not have Windows Bit defender installed, though I do have AVG. I have a brand new Soundblaster x-fi titanium, all drivers fully updated. I have turned off all the optional sound processing available from the software, and reinstated it all.

I tried all levels of hardware acceleration. I tried muting the various levels (SFX, Music, Dialogue). All with no luck. There is only no crackling with no sound.

Any other suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

jabberstring
14th Jan 2010, 19:39
Try uninstalling AVG and see what happens. That's the first thing that comes to mind. I'd be curious to know if that works!