PDA

View Full Version : requires Nvidia Physx to run

Massacher
10th Jan 2010, 06:09
i just got a new video card: Sapphire HD5870 1GB (http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=000101&pid=287). this far surpasses the requirements of the game. so why do they force u to install Nvidia Physx?
now i have already finished the game when i had my 8800GTS (640MB) (http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?CategoryID=5&TypeID=34&DetailID=705&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=1&LanID=9). i had Physx on there but the frame rate was very low at times.
ATI uses Direct Comput instead of Physx, but the game runs so slow if u don't have a dedicated Physx card. the fact that u have to install Physx software is ridiculous. it's a slap in the face for ATI card owners. i was thinking that i will be able to run it with the physics effects no problem, but it seems u can't unless u have an Nvidia card and a dedicated Physics card.

system specs are as follows:

Core i7-860/Gigabyte P55A-UD5/G.Skill-Trident 4GB DDR3-1600/Sapphire HD5870 1GB/ViewSonic 19" WS (2ms)/WD SATA 1TB HDD x2/LG SATA 18x DVDRW x2/Thermaltake Evo_Blue 750Watt PSU/Noctua NH-C12P-SE14

cyborg34572
10th Jan 2010, 06:29
Thats because ATI slapped Nvidia in the face when they rejected nvidia's offer to implement the ability to render physx effects in ati hardwares.

Ati cards can run the simplest physx effects in software mode(emulation), thats why when u turn physx on, the game will slow down badly. Ati video cards are not built or do not have the hardware to render physx effects in hardware-mode.

ATI rejected nvidia's ofer because they are planning on having their own gpu renderd physics.
Its now called ati-havok. Their still working on it.

now u have another video card. (ur 8800). What u can do now is, Use ur ati card as ur primary gpu that will render all the graphics, and use ur 8800 as a secondary card that u will use for dedicated physx rendering. That should work great. But ive heard that the latest nvidia drivers do not allow that to happen anymore. They no more allow people to have a primary ati card for graphics and a secondary nvidia card for dedicated physx (idk if its in windows 7 only tho). But there are hacks around the internet that will disable that stupid thing.

i apologize for my grammar . English is not my first language.

Massacher
10th Jan 2010, 06:35
now u have another video card. (ur 8800). What u can do now is, Use ur ati card as ur primary gpu that will render all the graphics, and use ur 8800 as a secondary card that u will use for dedicated physx rendering. That should work great. But ive heard that the latest nvidia drivers do not allow that to happen anymore. They no more allow people to have a primary ati card for graphics and a secondary nvidia card for dedicated physx (idk if its in windows 7 only tho). But there are hacks around the internet that will disable that stupid thing.

i thought of that, but at the moment i don't have enough room to use my 8800 as a dedicated Physx card. guess i'll wait and see what ATI come up with, with their ati-havok system.

i may also try the hack, but i would have thought that ATI and Nvidia cards wouldn't play nicely together?

bbb
10th Jan 2010, 08:48
Make sure the additional PhysX content is disabled as that will be what's slowing down performance. Run BmLauncher.exe in the Binaries folder of the game. Maybe the game hasn't recognised that you've changed video cards and hasn't disabled that for you.

Massacher
10th Jan 2010, 09:27
yea i had it off at first, then i turned it on to see what impact it would have. on a totally new machine now. just have to wait and see what happens with ATI's ati-havok.