PDA

View Full Version : Cover Systems

Bawabus
6th Jan 2010, 04:59
What do people think about them, that is, cover systems? How do you think they should be done? Devote a button to them? Make them automatic? Describe your ideal cover system in a third person shooter like Kane & Lynch. What should it do and how should it do it?

I'm curious as to what people think!

GrievousOdyssey
6th Jan 2010, 05:07
The automatic cover system from Dead Men worked a lot better for me than the button cover system from Grand Theft Auto IV (it's a bit annoying to see my character rolling all over the place except That One Cover i wanted to go to) ...

Perhaps i just like the natural feel of snapping against a wall / column when walking towards it's edge ...

As for Dog Days , seeing as the squad system isn't a main focus anymore , one of the three 'new' buttons we now have could be for the cover system ...

Or as one fellow said it "all three of them , just to be sure of it" ...

brownwolf007
6th Jan 2010, 05:55
idk why people complain about the cover system, just duck behind something and you'll automatically take cover, the only problems was from standing cover

ohitspatty
6th Jan 2010, 10:36
Why complain? Eh, sometimes I just accidentally run into something and my character instantly goes into a cover, sometimes even on the wrong side. So before I peel him off the wall I might get infested with bullets. In fact on Morphine it was the only reason why I died through out the game.

Personally I think that a "cover" button is a must.

GrievousOdyssey
6th Jan 2010, 12:37
idk why people complain about the cover system, just duck behind something and you'll automatically take cover, the only problems was from standing cover

Lol for me it's actually the opposite , i found that ducking behind cover is kind of suicidal since , well , they're never high enough ...

Why complain? Eh, sometimes I just accidentally run into something and my character instantly goes into a cover, sometimes even on the wrong side. So before I peel him off the wall I might get infested with bullets. In fact on Morphine it was the only reason why I died through out the game.

I'm curious to know when exactly did you 'accidentally' ran into cover ...

Falkenwut
6th Jan 2010, 13:19
Personally I think the cover system in K&L1 was very good.. couldn't complain 1 bit... But coming from people who don't understand certain game mechanics will find this tedious and against their wishes because the game ASSUMES that you want to take cover, holding you away from an attack ur trying to make.

So I must agree that cover system should be toggled with a button, similar to gears of war. Gives more control to the player and easier then trying to assume before the game tries to assume u want to take cover

GrievousOdyssey
6th Jan 2010, 13:28
But seeing as we'll probably get into quite a few narrow spaced shootouts , assigning the covert system to a button is going to be Grand Theft Auto IV all over again , meaning it doesn't always goes to your ideal cover position due to the fact that there will be many cover for the artificial intelligence to choose from ...

But hey , why don't they put both in the game ? both automatic and button cover systems ... that way we'll all be happy ...

Falkenwut
6th Jan 2010, 14:01
But seeing as we'll probably get into quite a few narrow spaced shootouts , assigning the covert system to a button is going to be Grand Theft Auto IV all over again , meaning it doesn't always goes to your ideal cover position due to the fact that there will be many cover for the artificial intelligence to choose from ...

But hey , why don't they put both in the game ? both automatic and button cover systems ... that way we'll all be happy ...

Agreed! sooo Agreed!!! Same goes for the FPS and 3PS view (like hitman 2) (more for my friends then myself)

GrievousOdyssey
6th Jan 2010, 21:10
It's simple too , they can add a option in the menu asking if the player wants automatic cover or not , Bound in Blood had this ...
That is if the player is smart enough to check the option menu before starting the game ...

Anywya , not sure if it's really on topic , but i never understood the cover system in First Person Shooters , i mean it's actually harder to get into cover and shoot in these games (such as Bound in Blood and Killzone 2) than in real life ... i just don't get the logic in that ...

Brackstone17
6th Jan 2010, 23:19
I liked the K&L cover system. It took a bit getting used to, but once you get it it works great. I'm also all for having an option for the cover system. I don't understand why companies seem to always forget that there is an option menu.

ohitspatty
7th Jan 2010, 00:09
I'm curious to know when exactly did you 'accidentally' ran into cover ...

Did you know that curiosity killed the cat?

And when exactly, um in the Cuban Revolution level when you run up to the church for example. There is a lot of walls that you can take a cover behind. Only I didn't intended on doing that. I was going to fire some rounds and take a cover behind once I get past the guys in the balcony, only problem was that Kane tagged along the walls for cover and before I could peel him off I died.

That's only one of the few occasions. And just cause it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it's impossible.

As for GTA cover system. I really don't remember it being that bad. At least I know that Niko was taking cover when I pressed the button.

TheMoD
7th Jan 2010, 00:20
I also never had any problems with the coversystem in deadmen but the best coversystem ive ever seen in a game is uncharted. Not too sticky, not too loose, just right! I hope when they said that they were being inspired by uncharted 2 IOI was about the coversystem aswell

Bevacur
7th Jan 2010, 00:45
I personally thought the cover system was fine. It was easy to use and plus its also simple so that people who are new to games or third-person shooters can understand.

GrievousOdyssey
7th Jan 2010, 00:47
That's only one of the few occasions. And just cause it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it's impossible.

As for GTA cover system. I really don't remember it being that bad. At least I know that Niko was taking cover when I pressed the button.

Oh i never said it was impossible , just wanted to know which glitchy part was it that i missed in all my fourty seven playthroughs ...

And the cover system in Grand Theft Auto IV wasn't bad , but in terms of precision i prefered the cover system from Dead Men ...

However the cover system from Drake's Fortune is Bad ...
Oh sure he does get into cover whenever we press the button , but unlike Niko Bellic , Drake always gets shot even sticking behind a concrete wall ... and meanwhile reviewers complains about always getting hit in Dead Men , calling the cover system broken , why didn't they complained about Uncharted ? it was a lot worst , hell , i died more often when sticking behind cover then not ...

TheMoD
7th Jan 2010, 01:02
The coversystem in uncharted was fine, you only got shot when you were being flanked or hiding behind breakable cover. Believe ive
played uncharted 1 and 2 often enough to know...

Bevacur
7th Jan 2010, 01:05
Off-topic: is Uncharted 1 and 2 any good? I mostly play horror games and i only own a xbox.

GrievousOdyssey
7th Jan 2010, 01:09
Like if i didn't knew what i was talking about , but there's no point in arguing about that since it'll be Dead Men all over again ...

Lucky for you if you didn't experienced any problems when playing Drake's Fortune , just that my experience with Eat Lead was better , and this realisation disturbed me ...

PS : Which difficulty setting do you play on ? ...

TheMoD
7th Jan 2010, 01:12
Yea its pretty amazing particularly uncharted 2 with its longer singleplayer and awesome multiplayer but the first one is also really good especially at its current price. If you get a ps3 uncharted 1 and 2 are the first games to get imo.

GrievousOdyssey
7th Jan 2010, 01:16
And what happened to Guns of The Patriot ? ...

Ain't folk quick to forget , lol ...

TheMoD
7th Jan 2010, 01:17
Like if i didn't knew what i was talking about , but there's no point in arguing about that since it'll be Dead Men all over again ...

Lucky for you if you didn't experienced any problems when playing Drake's Fortune , just that my experience with Eat Lead was better , and this realisation disturbed me ...

PS : Which difficulty setting do you play on ? ...

Umm all of them -.- (normal, hard and crushing)
and i also played gears, dark sector, kill.switch (the game that invented coversystems), army of two and alot of other games that have coversystems and uncharted is simply the best one in that aspect, hands down

GrievousOdyssey
7th Jan 2010, 01:21
Yeah well i'm still dying over here , doc ...

TheMoD
7th Jan 2010, 01:21
And what happened to Guns of The Patriot ? ...

Ain't folk quick to forget , lol ...

Well only if hes an mgs fan and has played the
other games in the series. Otherwise its still a great game but its also confusing and even abit tedious. Ya mgs4 was the first mgs game i ever played because i never had a ps1 or ps2, been a pc-only guy up till this generation

ohitspatty
7th Jan 2010, 07:24
Eh, I guess giving us an option would be great.

But it's not like I won't play Dog Days cause I don't like the cover system. That would be just childish.

One of Seven
7th Jan 2010, 07:35
My beef with the cover is that I have little use for it. I don't like the blind firing, I've noticed my headshots are not registering, I just think it needs to be touched up.

Bevacur
7th Jan 2010, 13:45
My beef with the cover is that I have little use for it. I don't like the blind firing, I've noticed my headshots are not registering, I just think it needs to be touched up.

I agree, i hardly used cover. If i needed it i will just run back to hide and wait so they come to me and spray them.

For me the headshots were fine.

Bawabus
7th Jan 2010, 17:21
That's my problem with most cover systems--they limit you and kind of make you not want to use them. A cover system, in my opinion, should not be a matter of changing states or "snapping" to cover because that inevitably limits the player in his mobility, which is kind of important in a game about hurling bullets one way or another. It should be fluid and part of normal navigation so that you can easily come off cover without an hiccup or delay.

Also, when you press the aim button to come out of cover, your guy shouldn't frikkin' swoop out and expose himself completely. He should hug the corner of the cover and use his angle to gain an advantage. It's kind of useless if he does anything less...

GrievousOdyssey
7th Jan 2010, 18:33
Or ...

Give every bullet some huge impact on the character , that way you sure as **** is going to stay behind cover ...