PDA

View Full Version : No counter/takedown

Cyborg #127
3rd Jan 2010, 09:14
Oh the joys of being unable to remap buttons.
/sarcasm

As people are aware, the game was designed with being able to use a console controller in mind. Sure, whatever, I don't care.

What I do care is that I am now finding it impossible to continue in the game due to combat. Since 'counter', 'takedown', and 'ready item(i.e. batarang)' are all bound to the same button - in this case mouse2 - it has caused me untold grief. I cannot counter, or do normal takedowns on enemies. The only way I can do a takedown is to get a suitably high combo and do a combat takedown. Even then, sometimes it doesn't work properly. Can you imagine seeing the counter icon above an enemies head, hitting the button to perform said counter and instead pulling out your batarang, grapple, or whatever item you last had ready? Not fun, and makes it impossible to beat the 'crazies' - you know, the ones you HAVE to use takedown on.

I have done everything I can think of, including removing ALL local content and the game from my drive, and re-downloading through steam. I currently have V1.1. Can somebody please help me here?

I also don't know if this is a further glitch or what, but I cannot defeat the knife-wielders either without resorting to elaborate exploding traps to knock them down so I can hit them. I dodge over top of them, and they instantly block my next attack. This trick works fine for the stun-baton wielders, so I'm at a loss on this one too.

Beastie
3rd Jan 2010, 11:52
but I cannot defeat the knife-wielders either without resorting to elaborate exploding traps to knock them down so I can hit them. I dodge over top of them, and they instantly block my next attack.

you have to use cape stun on them then you can take them down
to be honest i do not play the game with mouse and keyboard as i have fumble fingers when i try
i use a neo se controller (which is a xbox 360 controller)

LIGHTS
3rd Jan 2010, 14:35
Welcome to the forums. For the PC version, I'm guessing it's easier if you play it without a controller. In this case, use the mouse and keyboard.

My controls are this:

Grapple: X
Detective Mode: Q
Movement: Arrow keys & WASD (For convenience)
Run/Jump: Space Bar
Cape Stun: G
Quick Batarang: B
Left click: Attack/Counter
Right click: Use Gadget
CTRL+ALT+L/R click: Combat Takedown

But that's just for me.

When against normal henchmen, just beat them to a pulp and use the takedown on each.
For guys with knives, like Beastie said, first you'll need to Stun them and then beat them up, for a takedown.

Then if you're up against guys with Electric Shock Sticks, you need to dodge them when the Red Counter Mark appears above them. Once you're behind them, you can take them down without getting shocked. You can also use the Batclaw to snare him in, so he drops the stick, but you also have to dodge when he's coming your way or else you'll get shocked.

Also to Dodge, press the button (In my case, Space Bar) that allows you to run when held, jump when running across gaps, open vents, etc. Press that button twice + the Direction you're going and you'll dodge. If you dodge upwards against a foe, you'll dodge right through him without getting harmed. This can keep you from getting attacked even if you're not using Counter and it keeps your Freeflow Combo Strikes.

The next group of enemies are Lunatics, which are the Crazies you were referring to probably. They jump out of nowhere and cannot be detected with Detective Mode so they're like zombies that freak you out in an M-Rated game. But there are only a few, so don't fret. If they manage to jump on you and drain your HP little by little, shake them off by continuously press the button that opens a Vent. Once they're down, use Instant Takedown on them. If they don't get on you, they charge/run at you, you can use a gadget to take them down or punch them when they get close. Then Instant takedown.

I believe this is the final group of henchmen - Titans. I won't go further. Enjoy the game. :)

Cyborg #127
4th Jan 2010, 03:31
Thanks for the tip there, Beastie. I'll make sure to test it.

Jvini, you missed my point it seems. I appear to be physically unable to remap buttons for a start, and even if I did that's not the main issue. The issue is standard takedown doesn't work. For whatever reason, the game will not identify to the foe sitting on the ground at my feet stunned, and will whip out whatever gadget I have equipped. Also half of the time 'counter' will not work for the same reason. This is why I wanted to remap buttons, but from the way I understand it those actions will always be linked together due to console controller compatibility. Which won't help much there.

Combat takedown (default shift+right mouse) does work, but against a single lunatic you can't build up enough of a combo to use it. At this point in the game I will lose to a single lunatic because of that fact.

I appreciate the efforts for help, though.

Nemesis296
4th Jan 2010, 16:16
Thanks for the tip there, Beastie. I'll make sure to test it.

Jvini, you missed my point it seems. I appear to be physically unable to remap buttons for a start, and even if I did that's not the main issue. The issue is standard takedown doesn't work. For whatever reason, the game will not identify to the foe sitting on the ground at my feet stunned, and will whip out whatever gadget I have equipped. Also half of the time 'counter' will not work for the same reason. This is why I wanted to remap buttons, but from the way I understand it those actions will always be linked together due to console controller compatibility. Which won't help much there.

Combat takedown (default shift+right mouse) does work, but against a single lunatic you can't build up enough of a combo to use it. At this point in the game I will lose to a single lunatic because of that fact.

I appreciate the efforts for help, though.

You can remap the controls via the launcher. You have to open it by right-clicking the game icon in the Games Folder and choose "Run Launcher" (Vista). On XP, it's in the /Program Files/Eidos Games/Batman:Arkham Asylum/bin/BmLauncher.exe

You should be able to remap them with the launcher. Either way, if you can't remap the keys, you must not be doing something right. The combat takedown of lunatics is like the counter just pressing the key once and you don't need a combo to do it. The combo you are referring to is either the 5x or 8x combo. You have to first unlock these other combos (the demo has them unlocked automatically i believe) and then further upgrade to bring it down to 5x from 8x. As other people have mentioned, you have to use different tactics to fight knife-wielders and stun stick guys. You cannot counter their attacks. You have to either stun or avoid them by dodging. Regular thugs can be countered, but you have to time it correctly. Also, I don't know what difficulty you're playing on, but the lightning bolts that show up in challenge mode won't display if you're on hard in the main game. Also, attempting to use the 5x/8x takedown on a lunatic is futile as they will dodge it every time (if you manage to get a combo that high while facing them).

Also, make sure that if you use the batarang during combat that you have the Batarang Combo upgrade unlocked, otherwise each time you throw the Batarang your combo will be interrupted and you won't get to do the special combo takedowns.

If this still doesn't help, try to provide some screenshots of what you mean, cause you should be able to get it working :)

EDIT: Also, regular takedowns can only be done by crouching first. So you have the following takedowns:
-Crouch + Counter button = Ground Takedown
-Counter button when being attacked by a blockable attack = Counter

I don't know the bindings for the special takedowns, but I'm sure there is another button you have to push with the counter button, so they are more than likely different combinations that aren't being pressed correctly to yield the expected result.

LIGHTS
4th Jan 2010, 20:36
Also, regular takedowns can only be done by crouching first. So you have the following takedowns:
-Crouch + Counter button = Ground Takedown
-Counter button when being attacked by a blockable attack = Counter

Basically. (For Takedowns)

Cyborg #127
5th Jan 2010, 07:25
You can remap the controls via the launcher.

Finally found it - I feel like such a dumbass for missing that bit. Hopefully changing the keymap will work.

I should probably add that I know how to use counter, takedown, combat takedown etc. It used to work when I first played the game with no problems. It is only now that the game has decided to glitch in some fashion to have a preference for readying gadget instead of doing a takedown. Believe me, this is not a PEBKAC - okay, well, maybe the remapping part of it was, but not the takedown issue.

I'll go with the remap and post back here - I believe it should work no worries.