PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Lag With High-End PC

Snowypup
2nd Jan 2010, 21:00
Hello there, I just bought Arkham and I'm astonished to see that a game like this lags so heavily. I have a 4890 1 gig, 4 gigs of ram, a Q6600 running at 3 ghz and am running Vista 64x. I'm getting a maximum of like.. 10 FPS even with Physics turned off.

I do not want to play this game at low settings and instead want to find out what is causing this. It's so frustrating because I could play more intensive games way more smoothly than this and have zero problems.

:confused:

Laptopnut
2nd Jan 2010, 21:45
Have you installed the latest 1.1 patch and the Physx software?

cyborg34572
2nd Jan 2010, 23:08
Probably software related.

Update ur drivers
get catalyst 9.12 for ur video card ,and also get latest drivers for ur soundcard and other pc parts.

close unneeded background tasks and services . If you dont know which ones are actualy safe to close then i recommend u download a program called "gamebooster". Makes it much easier to close background processes and services.

defrag ur harddrive
do disc checks
do disc cleanups
do malware/spyware/adware/virus scans

Snowypup
4th Jan 2010, 00:39
Turning down the anti-aliasing in my ATI control panel and also turning off off dynamic shadows and motion blur helped a lot. Guess it's just too much for 1920x1200. Ah hell, I'm defiantly going to get a 5870.

DarkestKnight
5th Jan 2010, 23:55
This is nothing to do with background processes although in general you must switch them off.
Your problem sounds like a serious chipset or graphics driver problem or both. It may even be a direct x issue. I would update all those. Is your quad core heating excessively? These modern cpu's will trigger a stepdown if overheated and will severly limit your fps.
I have a possibly similar PC system albeit AMD Phenom ii x3 2.8ghz and nvidia gtx260 and 2gig ocz reaper, windows xp. My average framerate is 40 (maximum 60) on all max settings (except phys x is normal not high, and antialiasing 2x) which is pleasantly playable. I even have my graphics card on quality mode in control panel. Let me know how you get on.

DarkestKnight
5th Jan 2010, 23:58
PS: sorry can't remember my anisotropic settings.
My native resolution is 1680 x 1050.
1920x1200 would be a considerable burden on max settings even for very high end cards but not to the extent of maxfps=10 (see tomshardware charts)

ultrakorne
7th Jan 2010, 00:18
i m playing in 1920x1080 full detail and AA x 8 without any fps issue
with an ati 4890 , cpu i5 750, 4gb ram 1600mhz