PDA

View Full Version : Gore in TR9: how far should they go?

_Love2Raid_
29th Dec 2009, 15:54
So how far do you think the developers should go with gore in the next game?

Blood

- Realism

'Suppressed' realism (bright red spots that disappear)
Realistic (oozing blood, stays until washed away)

- Amount

Little (some drops, like in Underworld)
Moderate (sprays, pulsating)
Excessive amounts (fountains of blood)

Wounds

No wounds
Only a few 'red stripes' that vanish after some time
Open wounds, oozing with blood

Death Animations

'Suppressed' realism (ragdoll, black out)
Moderate realism (Lara drops dead in anatomically not possible positions (no 'sliding'), sounds of breaking bones, impaling without disfigurement)
Very realistic (dismemberment in for example traps with axes, decapitation, burning flesh)

Also, do you want it to be the same for Lara and her enemies?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been thinking about this quite a long time, and these are my preferences:

Blood

- Realism: Realistic (oozing blood, stays until washed away)
- Amount: Moderate (sprays, pulsating)

Wounds

Death Animations
Moderate realism (Lara drops dead in anatomically not possible positions (no 'sliding'), sounds of breaking bones, impaling without disfigurement)

I would like the enemies to have more brutal death animations though.

Natla
29th Dec 2009, 16:47
I guess it depends how scary people want the game to be. If every death is grisly and realistic people will get more of a shock and be more in suspense. (I presume you don't mean Underwolrd by "TR9"?)

rain122793
29th Dec 2009, 18:20
It would be good if they made it where she use to catch on fire and stuff have die realisticly on spikes and stuff, it gives u the whole yeah she can die like a normal person feel.
And it would be nice to see the enemies die like they use to as well.
It all just adds to the whole effect.
Also what would be really cool is if they add the feature of sniping ppl back and all that other stuff instead of always having to have a inperson confrentation

tombraidergal
29th Dec 2009, 20:23
if wounds, then limping and holding her stomach, stumbling and things like that would be cool... blood... not too splattery like modern warfare2. :o better death animations would be cool, like somebody's clothes soaked in blood... i just think it needs to be more realistic but not too realistic we vomit. get what i mean?

chriss_99
29th Dec 2009, 21:27
Blood

Wounds

Death Animations
Very realistic (dismemberment in for example traps with axes, decapitation, burning flesh)

Very nice depiction L2R :):thumb:
I'm not sure about the last one though... it sounds a bit scary :eek:

_Love2Raid_
29th Dec 2009, 22:43
Thank you chriss99!

I think it can't stay like it is right now, that ragdoll effect is just silly. We need more realism, but it shouldn't get over the top with the gore, because it was never like that in Tomb Raider.
There should be blood, but not in excessive amounts. There should be a variation of death animations, depending on the cause of death:

Lara falls from a high ledge: NO sliding, just landing in a weird position with the sound of breaking bones, and maybe a bit of blood.
Lara falls in a spike trap: she should be impaled by the spikes, not magically fall in between them, and it should be bloody, but she shouldn't be ripped apart. No intestines coming out of her either. :eek:
Lara dies in a blade/axe trap: this one is hard. If we want to go with realism, she should be cut in half or decapitated, but that could be too much for some players. Maybe they could cover it up a bit by changing the colour of the screen when it happens (to red maybe), or have an option to turn the gore off.
Lara in fire: she should catch fire.

brandibuck
30th Dec 2009, 15:46
As long as she does not SLIDE while dead....

Blood

Wounds

Death Animations

And also,

What do you think about stuff like " Lara keep hold of her arm or leg when it hurts while walking or running "

And How bout " Realistic Evading " and more of " Melee attack "...It would be great

dark7angel
30th Dec 2009, 17:05
What do you think about stuff like " Lara keep hold of her arm or leg when it hurts while walking or running "

And How bout " Realistic Evading " and more of " Melee attack "...It would be great

I think that would be cool!!!

My preferences:

Blood

Wounds

Death Animations

:D:thumb:

IvanaKC
30th Dec 2009, 17:51
OK, my opinion.

Blood
* Realistic (oozing blood, stays until washed away)
* Moderate (sprays, pulsating)

Wounds
* Open wounds, oozing with blood

Death Animations
* Very realistic (dismemberment in for example traps with axes, decapitation, burning flesh)

I want it to be the same for Lara and enemies. And I would like burning flesh like in old TR. If you get fired, you need to find water, otherwise, you die.
I know that will make TR game really hard to play, but get used to it. I want realism. If you are wounded, for example leg, Lara can't walk. If Lara's hand is hurt, she can't shoot etc.
See what I mean? Lara can't have tons of first aids in her backpack. 3 would be optimal.

JRod108
31st Dec 2009, 00:24
I like this thread. :D

Blood: Realistic and moderate gore. If the enemy has been pinned against the wall, I expect some blood to be on it when he falls, realistically, to the ground. No unrealistic fountains. Straight and utter realism.

Wounds: I would like to see some wounds that vary in how badly Lara is hurt. And I don't want them to fade until I use a health pack. Once again, realism would be nice. When attacked by tigers, I would like to see some wounds that would only happen when attacked by tigers, when attacked by people, gun wounds would be nice. I don't want to see a tiger wound after fighting a mercenary and vice-versa.

Death Animations: Realism, realism, realism. No rag doll effects and absolutely no sliding. When impaled, I expect to see her impaled, when burned, I expect to see her burned, when blades hit Lara, I expect to see some dismemberment. Realism.

Bampire
31st Dec 2009, 05:18
Blood

- Realism

Realistic (oozing blood, stays until washed away)

- Amount

Moderate (sprays, pulsating)

Wounds

Death Animations

Foes and animals that die should have their bodies left in-place, not vanish. I get it if you zone to one area and the being is back, but having the corpse vanish is just ridiculous.

Xoomer
5th Feb 2010, 18:53
I think it would be better to make two versions, because there are a lot of young fans of lara, for example my brother, he is 13. if i buy this game i would only play it , when he isn't in the room.
But making two versions would mean more time to wait for us and more costs for eidos and the others

Ants_27_
5th Feb 2010, 19:16
I think it would be better to make two versions, because there are a lot of young fans of lara, for example my brother, he is 13. if i buy this game i would only play it , when he isn't in the room.
But making two versions would mean more time to wait for us and more costs for eidos and the others

The problem also comes about that TR isn't popular enough to have multiple different versions.

The idea of what a few games have done is allow you to select whether or not you want gore and bad language within the actual game would make sense. The gore and whatnot would be in by default but would allow for people to select otherwise.

Anyway, blood should be portrayed as it is in real life, shoot someone and they'll bleed, cut someone and they will bleed.

Error96_
5th Feb 2010, 23:57
For me the way Core did gore was best. Before all the cut to black deaths came in. I would be for the middle option in all the choices. Stronger than it is now though.

Blood - Realism - 'Suppressed' realism (bright red spots that disappear)
Amount - Moderate (sprays, pulsating)
Wounds - Only a few 'red stripes' that vanish after some time
Death Animations - Moderate realism (Lara drops dead in anatomically not possible positions (no 'sliding'), sounds of breaking bones, impaling without disfigurement)

_Love2Raid_
6th Feb 2010, 00:15
It looks like most people want to get rid of the ragdoll effect and the 'sliding' between spikes. :D

Danielsun_
6th Feb 2010, 00:17
It looks like most people want to get rid of the ragdoll effect and the 'sliding' between spikes. :D

Damn right we do! lol makes it soooo frustrating with the rag doll death its not like 'ooo lets avoid death its rather scary,'

its more of a

'o for god sake im dead again (and it looks pants!)'

_Love2Raid_
6th Feb 2010, 00:29
Yes, it's really stupid!

Look what happens when she gets between the door in St. Francis' Folly:

http://i46.tinypic.com/jpczmg.jpg

:lol:

Ants_27_
6th Feb 2010, 07:37
Considering the amount of gore does help push the age rating up, they could have the screen drain of colour as far as the deaths are concerned.

You'd still see the image and the deaths but it won't help the age rating to be pushed up. Let's face it, you don't need to actually see complete colour when she's dead.

Danielsun_
6th Feb 2010, 11:02
meh im cool with the age rating being bumped up a bit, i think the age rating of 'teen' is a silly rating anyway because being a Teen varies from being a kid and being an adult so that rating should be scrapped :P as the older side want more gore the younger not so much as parents wont let them get that but ive known plenty of 13 yr olds playing GTA... i was one of them :D

I vote more gore!!!

MOAR

Xoomer
6th Feb 2010, 12:06

just my opinion.
i looked for some information about the ragdoll-engine at the german wikipedia (because i'm from germany of course xD) and there it says, that little bones like in the fingers weren't completely calculated, so they stay hard and don't move.
some lines under thist text there was a sentence, which says that GTA IV uses Euphoria-engine. with that you can make it very realistic, because it calculates the small bones and shots into the nerves, which trigger some flickers. (sorry if my english isn't so good ^^)

here is the article in german: Ragdol (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragdoll)
and in english: Ragdoll physics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragdoll_physics)

Danielsun_
6th Feb 2010, 13:04
aaa i love the Euphoria engine! :D
english was fine mate :)

TR get Euphoria! hehe

Xoomer
6th Feb 2010, 13:36
aaa i love the Euphoria engine! :D
Just my opinion (I have GTA IV and its really funny to run in front of driving cars and get hit by them xD)

english was fine mate :)
Thanks ^^

TR get Euphoria! hehe
Yeah, but with this engine it could be, that the game will be M-rated :hmm:

Danielsun_
6th Feb 2010, 14:01
Just my opinion (I have GTA IV and its really funny to run in front of driving cars and get hit by them xD)

Thanks ^^

Yeah, but with this engine it could be, that the game will be M-rated :hmm:

nothing wrong with a M rated game hehe, i would certainly get rid of the frustration of the rag doll deaths TR has, it drives me crazy :mad2:

Xoomer
6th Feb 2010, 18:51
nothing wrong with a M rated game hehe, i would certainly get rid of the frustration of the rag doll deaths TR has, it drives me crazy :mad2:

That's completely right, but in the world there are a lot of young tomb raider fans under the age of 17 (or 18 in Germany). They could be very frustrated, because they couldn't see the new engine, not even in a trailer. CD should find the golden middle between realism and youth-kindness, so younger people can play the game, too.

Danielsun_
6th Feb 2010, 18:56
that is indeed true but i find it rare in this day and age that everyone is sticking by the age limitation rule, usually the kids just get their parents to go buy them the game

Crimson Fury
6th Feb 2010, 19:34
I don't like extreme gore. But I do wish the bodies wouldn't vanish after you killed them. Sometimes I want to take a good look at what I've killed, especially if it's a magical/non-real creature.

I miss the way Lara died when she fell onto the spikes in TR 1 and 2.

a_big_house
6th Feb 2010, 23:41
something like in Resident Evil 5
everything is realistic but not everything is seen
when the health is low, limp
when your on fire, fight it (stop, drop, roll)?
NO sliding! XD

Andy64
7th Feb 2010, 00:59
Most modern video games and most TV drama that teenagers watch has a 15 or 18 age limit. To me it seems daft to try and bring TR in to a teen or 12 rating.

It doesn't need perfect realism but when Lara falls off an edge I want her to crash on the floor or impale on spikes. No stronger than in the first TR but having daft deaths like the St Frances Folly one shown above dosn't seem to make much sence.

tombraidergal
7th Feb 2010, 09:55
it'sz disgusting when she dies coz her legs and arms always bend the way they're not supposed to like assassins creed as well!!! GRRR...

I just want her to bleed and leave scratches on her or something... bodies stay put and weapons bigger and better! croos bow would be cool. ;) and bow and arrow.

Jason Miller
7th Feb 2010, 14:21
I want her to get impaled, decapitated, skewered, shish-kebabed, disintegrated, sawed, sliced, slashed, slayed, pierced, and penetrated (And I don't mean that in a sexual way lol).
Basically, I want her to die. :)

Ants_27_
7th Feb 2010, 15:58
I want her to get impaled, decapitated, skewered, shish-kebabed, disintegrated, sawed, sliced, slashed, slayed, pierced, and penetrated (And I don't mean that in a sexual way lol).
Basically, I want her to die. :)

But in a nice pleasant bouncing way.:rasp:

Only kidding. Anyway, I dislike gore if it isn't used correctly, for example the saw films. They kinda just throw blood in every direction and it really grinds my gears after a while.:lol: