PDA

View Full Version : No more Lara playing God!

Themarvin
29th Dec 2009, 00:32
If we get a next up coming Tomb Raider game I would certainly not like that any of the posible endgame would be like... wooo nice magic sword... blamblamblam or Thors Hammer, seriously come on.. yes our Heroine encounters supernatural phenomeans... as well as spiritual stuff, but it kind of takes the fun away when she becomes that herself... I remember the game had much more to it with just a pair of guns... and some other weapons and with those having to defeat the evil foes and bosses.

Just a plead for no more of this too fantastic stuff, it kind of removes alot of the magic as well as it becomes to easy even on the hardest difficulty as it is.

Played all the TR games... and still I kinda love those of them the most that has no over fantastic elements for the heroine... let the enemies be the nut busters instead.

Just my 5 cent to the debate.... and hopefully we would have a new game at some time... also a remake of the TR2 and 3 would be very nice. :)

jayjay119
29th Dec 2009, 00:44
Personally I gotta say I agree. It was nice having excalibur and Thor's Hammer in the games but their use in the game was quite cheesy and took away all the mysticism that surrounded this enormous amount of power these artifacts were mean to hold due to the limitations on Lara's usage of them in general an compared to other peoples'.

_Love2Raid_
29th Dec 2009, 01:19
I agree as well. 'Thor's Hammer was powerfull enough to level mountains'. Well, it could make people fly away but the ship remained intact. :confused:

I am not saying I didn't enjoy using those weapons in Legend and TRU, and they were still optional, but they took away the 'magic' and made combat less challenging and challenge = fun.

Error96_
29th Dec 2009, 01:42
Thor's hammer seemed too powerful for the enemies you were going up against. I would prefer not to have superweapons in future games.

Bampire
29th Dec 2009, 01:55
+1

I don't want Lara playing God anymore. I want the human touch back. We should have Lara working with something less of a gun every once in a while. Just not her hands, but also a knife or something--That is not riddled with supernatural powers.

But seeing though we'll get to work with Lara being more creative with her environment in the upcoming game. we can only hope that they keep it from beginning to the end of TR9.

dark7angel
29th Dec 2009, 15:01
I do agree with you guys! This powerfull weapons look cool but take all the fun/challenge away from the game...

Arctic
29th Dec 2009, 17:24
I liked Excalibur, but I when she got Thor's Hammer in Underworld, I was like "Umm.. Excalibur all over again..?" So I agree. Please don't give her a supernatural weapon in the next game.. at least not one that is so much alike other weapons from the series..

Themarvin
29th Dec 2009, 17:58
Seriously... could had been without Excalibur as well.... what I meant to say was... no super natural weapons EVER again... it takes out all the fun... and no reason to overpowered situations like that.

I would rather like seeing an army of friendly spirits aiding me in the endgame and be having normal weapons rather than any weird thing that pounds out green stuff.

angelus0901
29th Dec 2009, 18:01
I'm first to disagree.... I loved Excalibur, and I love Mjolnir! I really like when Lara finds these ancient artifacts and actually uses them. That's the whole point of her adventures... I hope she finds another powerful weapon in the next game... Sorry, guys... ;) :D

tombraidergal
29th Dec 2009, 20:21
i agree... but... the weapons make it cool!!!! i just want more open world enviroments and fun... yes and lara doing spiritual stuff, like having to accquire a few shards of something to fit into something, then speaking an inscription on a wall or something.... maybe summoning some magical force to help her move on?

that sounds a bit too fantasy but i think it'd be cool!!! LOL.

Themarvin
30th Dec 2009, 02:39
I'm first to disagree.... I loved Excalibur, and I love Mjolnir! I really like when Lara finds these ancient artifacts and actually uses them. That's the whole point of her adventures... I hope she finds another powerful weapon in the next game... Sorry, guys... ;) :D

Then make it somethign realistic... not just some ┬┤green stuff coming out... eg.. lare finds a spear... she can then fight with the spear in melee... not at range... it is too damn fantastic in a way it seem weird, have to say that I was rather pissed when I found thors hammer in TRU to see that they had messed up again.

Ants_27_
30th Dec 2009, 10:40
Then make it somethign realistic... not just some ┬┤green stuff coming out...

Or they could just make sure that Thor's hammer doesn't do exactly what Excalibur did.:lol: Hardly feel powerful do you with either Thor's hammer or Excalibur!

Perhaps that's just me:rasp:

jayjay119
30th Dec 2009, 15:31
Plus having a supernatural weapon in one game makes no sense when it is not followed up in the next. I mean Excalibur was such an integral part of TRL and in TRU it was just forgotten about until the end where it looked like CD went 'ooh, Excalibur we may as well throw it in at some point seeing as how me made such a big deal out of it before'

And why the hell did Lara not take the sword with her at the beginning of Underworld having used it at the end of Legend? Did she get bored of it? It makes no sense.

This whole supernatural weapon theme seems to be one if CD's things that has hung over form their LoK days, one which I wish the would stop in TR. It's just tacky!

rain122793
30th Dec 2009, 17:50
Yeah lara always having these super weopons is like okay that took the fun out of it. Every game lara has had some magical element of some kind but they were used to do other things (not used as a weopon) and those were cool cuz she never used them herself. She always had to collect it before the bad guy and get it because she wanted it not because she HAD to save the world that just turned out to be a plus. so yeah they need to get rid of the super weopons and go back to super artifacts lol

Ants_27_
30th Dec 2009, 18:37
Excalibur was such an integral part of TRL and in TRU it was just forgotten about until the end where it looked like CD went 'ooh, Excalibur we may as well throw it in at some point seeing as how me made such a big deal out of it before'

I think that does apply to the idea of why they never actually talked about the dias's (Spelt right?)again, surely if you encountered the idea of this 'network' you'd want to find out how it was made, who made it and how it works? Then again I'm back to my idea of loving the tiny details, though they're hardly tiny.

And why the hell did Lara not take the sword with her at the beginning of Underworld having used it at the end of Legend? Did she get bored of it? It makes no sense.

True. They should have shown a scene with Lara and the expert guy at the beginning of the game, (or wherever) but during their meeting Excalibur is damged beyond repair or just destroyed. Random, yes but it would feel a more connected to Legend and you'd know why she doesn't use Excalibur with the story of Underworld..:nut:

JRod108
31st Dec 2009, 00:46
I'm tired of the God feeling as well. I mean, I rarely died in TRU and it was never from the combat. Usually I fell of a cliff or something. I would like to take it up a notch, not only does Lara not find a mystical weapon at the end, but make her guns less powerful as well.

tombraidergal
31st Dec 2009, 10:57
Lara could have a knife!!!! that would be awesome for sneaking up on guards/animals and pouncing on them or slashing their neck with the knife... or was that in TR:AOD... :s

Ants_27_
31st Dec 2009, 11:12
I would like to take it up a notch, not only does Lara not find a mystical weapon at the end, but make her guns less powerful as well.

That's one thing I loved about Heavenly Sword. You have this great sword yet it drains her life as mortals can't wield it without the sword taking said persons life for doing so.

My point is that the game made the sword feel like it was from the Gods because of its consequences. So yes I want there to be consequences.

redragon7324
31st Dec 2009, 21:35
a remake to all the ps1 games would be nice... CORE should be in on this, but core is dissapeared, so wont expect much

jayjay119
31st Dec 2009, 23:24
I think that does apply to the idea of why they never actually talked about the dias's (Spelt right?)again, surely if you encountered the idea of this 'network' you'd want to find out how it was made, who made it and how it works? Then again I'm back to my idea of loving the tiny details, though they're hardly tiny.

Exactly, I think this is what left the majority feeling pretty much underwhelmed. I mean the 'Thor' story was pretty good actually, interesting and well researched with the whole Xilbalba/ Mayan calendar thing. However Legend already started a great story with Excalibur and the diases which we were all looking forward to seeing expanded.

To be honest the TRU story felt like it was a mesh between 2 separate ones that didn't quite gel. I think at the end of Legend TRU's story was probably rather different to what it ended up as after TRA having to include those elements it introduced, mainly Natla. I cannot help but wonder if CD hadn't been made to make TRA how differently TRU would have turned out. Not only that but it feels as if we could have had 2 good games that turned into one mediocre one. If a sequel to legend had been released pre-TRA with Excalibur and the mother story, then had TRU been released as a direct sequel to TRA without the mother element everyone would have been a lot happier.

True. They should have shown a scene with Lara and the expert guy at the beginning of the game, (or wherever) but during their meeting Excalibur is damged beyond repair or just destroyed. Random, yes but it would feel a more connected to Legend and you'd know why she doesn't use Excalibur with the story of Underworld..:nut: Also I'd quite like to know how there are 2 Excaliburs now, and indeed if there are/ was more after Lara finder her mother's as well as her own from Legend.

I'm tired of the God feeling as well. I mean, I rarely died in TRU and it was never from the combat. Usually I fell of a cliff or something. I would like to take it up a notch, not only does Lara not find a mystical weapon at the end, but make her guns less powerful as well.
Same, the majority of times I died was due to Lara, one again refusing to grab a ledge or misjudging a jump.

JRod108
1st Jan 2010, 03:13
a remake to all the ps1 games would be nice... CORE should be in on this, but core is dissapeared, so wont expect much

Absolutely not. Those games were successful in the 90's. Released now, and it would be the killing blow to the franchise. The reason TR isn't as successful as it could be is because of the fan base's inability to let go of the past, all the nostalgia, and move on. I think it's time for Lara to move on to bigger and better things.

jayjay119
4th Jan 2010, 02:12
Absolutely not. Those games were successful in the 90's. Released now, and it would be the killing blow to the franchise. The reason TR isn't as successful as it could be is because of the fan base's inability to let go of the past, all the nostalgia, and move on. I think it's time for Lara to move on to bigger and better things.

Hmm, I think there has been a much bigger reason for this than you do to be honest but I wont go into that now. Needless to say the cause of that problem, for the moment doesn't bother me anymore due to recent financial and managerial changes if you know what
i mean:whistle:

Danielsun_
18th Jan 2010, 17:07
Also I'd quite like to know how there are 2 Excaliburs now, and indeed if there are/ was more after Lara finder her mother's as well as her own from Legend.

There was never just one sword, Excalibur was just the one used by king arthur, she explained in legend that there could have been more swords,

And besides who would create a travelling system when only one person can use it?

Its like having 4 people living in the same house and only 1 person can use the key

jayjay119
18th Jan 2010, 17:19
There was never just one sword, Excalibur was just the one used by king arthur, she explained in legend that there could have been more swords,

And besides who would create a travelling system when only one person can use it?

Its like having 4 people living in the same house and only 1 person can use the key

Actually King Arthur had only one shard of the sword that formed in Legend, or have you forgotten the rest of the game? The point is, I know there had to be more than one sword but it would have been nice to have it explained how and why there are more swords, where did they come from? How where they created? Where have they gone?

Ants_27_
18th Jan 2010, 19:05
Actually King Arthur had only one shard of the sword that formed in Legend, or have you forgotten the rest of the game? The point is, I know there had to be more than one sword but it would have been nice to have it explained how and why there are more swords, where did they come from? How where they created? Where have they gone?

And what was the point in allowing them to have green stuff flying from them? I mean its a sword that's technically a key that is again a sword; a sword which should be used for slicing and dicing and the whole travel network concept. Having the green stuff coming from it made it a bit more tacky.

jayjay119
18th Jan 2010, 19:32
And what was the point in allowing them to have green stuff flying from them? I mean its a sword that's technically a key that is again a sword; a sword which should be used for slicing and dicing and the whole travel network concept. Having the green stuff coming from it made it a bit more tacky.

Exactly, the only thing I cant think of to explain the green stuff is that it way be some sort of 'membrane' if you will that links the portals and the sword together... although why it can shoot the green stuff is beyond me, fair enough people may be able to use the energy within in certain ways but how? Why? Should it not have depleted after being separated form the dias for so long? All these things left unanswered, its as bad as AOD in a way!