PDA

View Full Version : What if Ubisoft...

Bampire
28th Dec 2009, 02:23
This is a what if, and somewhat of a wish.

I know some of you guys don't appreciate Ubi Soft, and some enjoy it. But this is just a thought I felt like sharing. I'm not sure if anyone else has posted this, but I'm just going to go ahead and post it.

What if UbiSoft grabbed ahold of the TR Franchise, and not SE?

Honestly, they already grabbed ahold of the Prince of Persia franchise and I haven't played any of the games from beginning to the recent games to know how well they were done. But what I Do know is that the Assassin's Creed franchise is amazing.

Assassin's Creed has every element that makes a great Action adventure. It's based on history, alike of Tomb Raider, but this is more indepth. Such beautiful character delevelopment, plot, everything about the first and second game is just phenominal.

It's something I wish Tomb Raider had. The nostalgia is lacking in our TR games. It lost that a long time ago, but I will always be a loyal fan to the franchise, even though AC is my second favourite franchise TR will be the 1st, and will always be the first , even though 'Sin's Creed is so close to getting top. Besides that, I honestly wish that Ubisoft got TR, instead of SE.

The free-running is what we want in Tomb Raider, right? We want Lara to be more acrobatic, more then she already is in the recent TR game. We want so much more and don't be afraid to admit it. Everyone wants their favourite games to be 10x better then it already is, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Before you judge the AC franchise, go and rent, if not buy the games. See just how amazingly done they are. The second game will have your jaw to the floor. You learn more about Desmond Miles' ancestor, as it goes through 30 years of his life figuring many things out as he assassinates many targets which leads to a whole different meaning of being an assassin. Not just for political concerns but for something more extreme. It goes into legends, lore, history and why humans are here. Side missions, races, and many cutscenes to enjoy. Though aC2 is lacking replayable missions, unlike the first one you can replay them (The reason why AC2 is lacking it, is because the lack of time they had. DLC is coming out for the missing 2 memory sequences early 2010, hopefully replayable missions is apart of that).

All that comes from my mind right now is nothing but good things. A game one must play before judging it. Play it, and you'll understand why I wish UbiSoft was incharge instead of SE.

josh1122
28th Dec 2009, 05:11
It would be as dull and repetitive as Assassins Creed. Case closed(for me)

Bampire
28th Dec 2009, 07:51
First one is repetitive, second one is not so much.

Though I'm not saying make TR as a carbon copy of AC, more like have more indepth gameplay, and stories. Just needs more of that wow factor that AC has, and TR severely lacks it, now-a-days.

Ants_27_
28th Dec 2009, 09:38
It would be as dull and repetitive as Assassins Creed. Case closed(for me)

Number 2 is not this time around. They actually listened.

Anyway back on topic, I think I can say that Ubisoft come 2nd (in my list) with Konami coming 1st and rockstar 3rd.

So basically I think it would be good as Assassins Creed 2 was great, unlike the 1st I didn't want it to end! I think Ubisoft have some great franchises like POP which I played number 1 and then the cell shaded one (though that one got pretty repetitive).

tombraidergal
28th Dec 2009, 20:08
Yes first AC s repetitive but really good. AC 2 is brill!!! Ubisoft made avatar the game and I enjoy playing that, they could have done better with the graphics but it's still good!!! Ubisoft would be awesome with tomb raider.

There was something funny tho in AC2 wen I was playing it, there was a certain bit in an underground tomb where my dad and brother said 'it's tomb raider lizzie!!' I laughed. You had to pull some levers and climb Walls and stuff. :p

Ubisoft would be awesome, but I would like to see what square enix have up there sleeves. :)

Ants_27_
28th Dec 2009, 21:02
Ubisoft would be awesome, but I would like to see what square enix have up there sleeves. :)

Although it would be great as Ubi are great themselves we can't forget that the brainstorming, developing, story stage and whatever will still come from CD and not Square. After all Square do still have bigger franchises to keep afloat.

Even though it's fun to speculate, we can't forget that even if Ubi did purchase Eidos, they would only be the parent company as opposed to the actual 'developers' of the game.

I'm sorry but someone has to be the idiot to point it out and that idiot is me.:lol:

Put Hideo Kojima in charge of the game... Wow, what a game TR would become!:lmao:

jayjay119
28th Dec 2009, 22:52
Ubisoft were my first choice for the buyout of Eidos, I figured considering they have experience in both the genre and gameplay mechanics in games such as PoP and Assassin's Creed which were both done with care, finesse and beauty that they are the best for the job, I still feel this way somewhat, even though Sqaure are renowned for another of the most revered series in the world, good budgets and development cycles i don't think they were really on anyone's list. Konami were second for me.

JRod108
31st Dec 2009, 00:33
I love Ubisoft, it is second in developers only to Bioware. :D AC2 is amazing. When I climbed to the top of a View Point Tower, I was honestly thinking to myself about why Tomb Raider couldn't have such large enviroments. When free running, I wondered why Lara could climb nearly every surface she came across. AC2 is a beautiful game and TR, IMO, needs and open world and free climbing would go a long way in making the game far less repetitive. Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, POP, they are all doing what TR is not. Evolving. TR wants to stay in the small, confining and unimaginative comfort zone it has been in since the beginning. All these games have been inspired by many of the thing TR started and I think it is time for TR to take many of the steps these games have taken. TR, quite frankly, has grown stale. CORE is gone. They aren't coming back and neither is the style in which they created their games. I think it is time to move on.

Bampire
31st Dec 2009, 01:22
I love Ubisoft, it is second in developers only to Bioware. :D AC2 is amazing. When I climbed to the top of a View Point Tower, I was honestly thinking to myself about why Tomb Raider couldn't have such large enviroments. When free running, I wondered why Lara could climb nearly every surface she came across. AC2 is a beautiful game and TR, IMO, needs and open world and free climbing would go a long way in making the game far less repetitive. Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, POP, they are all doing what TR is not. Evolving. TR wants to stay in the small, confining and unimaginative comfort zone it has been in since the beginning. All these games have been inspired by many of the thing TR started and I think it is time for TR to take many of the steps these games have taken. TR, quite frankly, has grown stale. CORE is gone. They aren't coming back and neither is the style in which they created their games. I think it is time to move on.

I love you, for posting this. You've spoken what is on my mind for the most part. You comprehend it so easily. Bravo.

I agree with your post 100%. Though, it is unfortunate that TR is still closterphobic, and the other games are becoming more then what our franchise is about. I hate to see the day where not only me, but the loyal fans lose all their hope and desires from the TR games and give up ultimately. We're holding on so dearly to our Lara.

After playing the AC games, and completing them. Becoming so attached to the second game, more then the first it's like a beautiful beginning for myself. The freedom, and the skills the ancestors along with the 'present' day main character is phenominal. Lara's so limited to what she can do.. It makes TR:U look like a primitive game. Yeah, awesome! Lara can do this and this and this! Compare it to Ezio Auditore Da Firance and she's easily taken down 10 notches. She needs to learn FreeRunning. Though looking back to what Lara CAN do in TR:U, with the wall hopping, it's just not enough.

I'm not saying Lara should be a clone of PoP or AC, but she should have the agility, dexterity, speed as the others.

Yes, TR needs more open worlds. Yes, it'll take a while to do but in the end it would be completely worth it. Having places marked out to where you can and cannot climb is ridiculous. "Here's the path you can only climb, have fun.." Then bringing in AC it's more like "Make your own path, but when you're ready to move on into the actual story line, we'll be right here". I just love that freedom, it makes a game 10x better.

I do hope this thread is being read by the developers, or anyone who works with the game, because TR needs this drastic improvement.

Now.. Look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Qz9ah8cKQ Then look at some TR:U Gameplay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN_ZSDn8AdY .. Just dwarfs TR.

_Love2Raid_
31st Dec 2009, 01:35
Crystal Dynamics can really learn from what Ubisoft have created so far. Don't forget though that TRU is more than a year old, and a year is a lot in the gaming world. But that's still no excuse, I know. The next game should be not only better than TRU, but also better than whatever's being released right now.

Bampire
31st Dec 2009, 01:46
Exactly, no excuse. AC1 is 2 years of age? or so and it's more then what TR:U could provide. Altair's much more agile, and speedy then Lara is. Yeah, AC1 can get extremely competitive but it's still a step ahead of TR:U, even for being a year older then Underworld.

I just hope that we get those improvements we ask for.

JRod108
31st Dec 2009, 02:15
And what's more, AC is also a multiplatform game. I have seen many posts that claim that since TR is multiplatform that they have less time to develop and such, but in the light of AC, these excuses are just that. Excuses. I am tired of saying "Oh, well they'll get it next time." Well, it is next time and I want a good game. I'm tired of saying "Oh, well, at least it wasn't bad." How on earth does that excuse a game from being successful? I'm tired of forking out my money for a game that is one generation behind its compitition. I crave quality. I crave something from CD that will make my head explode in sheer amazingness.

Bampire
31st Dec 2009, 05:12
And what's more, AC is also a multiplatform game. I have seen many posts that claim that since TR is multiplatform that they have less time to develop and such, but in the light of AC, these excuses are just that. Excuses. I am tired of saying "Oh, well they'll get it next time." Well, it is next time and I want a good game. I'm tired of saying "Oh, well, at least it wasn't bad." How on earth does that excuse a game from being successful? I'm tired of forking out my money for a game that is one generation behind its compitition. I crave quality. I crave something from CD that will make my head explode in sheer amazingness.

I'm waiting for that too. As much as I enjoyed TR:U, I wasn't in Awe. It was more anti-climantic. I know that's hard to swallow but it is. What made me see 'this light' was playing Assassin's Creed 2. This game had my jaw drop. Such a game done beautifully and what TR:U had to offer was Lara with a few more moves and nicer graphics. Nothing new, really. Just a mesh of TR:A and TR:L (both CD games).

IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON! We need change! FOR THE BETTER! Caps111oneone!!eone!

tombraidergal
31st Dec 2009, 10:50
Although it would be great as Ubi are great themselves we can't forget that the brainstorming, developing, story stage and whatever will still come from CD and not Square. After all Square do still have bigger franchises to keep afloat.

Even though it's fun to speculate, we can't forget that even if Ubi did purchase Eidos, they would only be the parent company as opposed to the actual 'developers' of the game.

I'm sorry but someone has to be the idiot to point it out and that idiot is me.:lol:

Put Hideo Kojima in charge of the game... Wow, what a game TR would become!:lmao:

i know lol.... i always wondered what eidos had to do with CD since they actually make the game... and what difference does it make if square enix have tomb raider?
Well... maybe there will be... that's what i'm trying to say. ;)

Ants_27_
31st Dec 2009, 10:54
IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON! We need change! FOR THE BETTER! Caps111oneone!!eone![/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]

I suppose it depends really. I mean you can tell that TR doesn't really have that big of a budget but if you look at AC, you can tell more time, effort and money went into it. Plus isn't it made by Ubisoft and published by them, thus they will most likely have more money than Eidos and CD?

Perhaps it is just me?:nut:

tombraidergal
31st Dec 2009, 11:00
hmmm... maybe sqaure enix are giving eidos the money to fund for the game for CD.... soo.... they are taking their time with this game... maybe they just aren't going to tell us anything about the game until late next year. i wouldn't mind that. ;) so long as there's another TR... or 2011!!! that would mean it would have taken them 3 years and if it does take that long... it had better be good!!! just like if two years isn't good enough.... :(

Hope they ace the franchise this time. ;) reboot.

Ants_27_
31st Dec 2009, 11:07
hmmm... maybe sqaure enix are giving eidos the money to fund for the game for CD.... soo.... they are taking their time with this game... maybe they just aren't going to tell us anything about the game until late next year. i wouldn't mind that. ;) so long as there's another TR... or 2011!!! that would mean it would have taken them 3 years and if it does take that long... it had better be good!!! just like if two years isn't good enough.... :(

I think Square will still always have TR on the back burner (not as harsh as it sounds) as there really money maker will probably always be Final Fantasy.

Well, obviously I don't know how Square work so therefore this is all probably incorrect. If I was them I would have FF as my main focus, have the resources that are left focus on Eidos's franchises.:scratch:

Heck I don't have a clue how they work.:lol:

tombraidergal
31st Dec 2009, 14:25
neither do i... maybe they're are waiting to build up suspense then they will announce...

'Lara Croft will not be having another game... sorry for any dissappointment, but the game is rubbish so we decided to focus and games worth playing. ha ha! in your face!!!!'

that'd just be hilarious but jaw dropping. :D

JRod108
1st Jan 2010, 07:43
neither do i... maybe they're are waiting to build up suspense then they will announce...

'Lara Croft will not be having another game... sorry for any dissappointment, but the game is rubbish so we decided to focus and games worth playing. ha ha! in your face!!!!'

that'd just be hilarious but jaw dropping. :D

I would utterly hate them. :lol:

Anyway, I think SE taking over is a good thing. They will have more resources and won't rush the game. They have a very high quality to their games and I don't think that they would release something that would be as mediocre.

Really, I'm tired of mediocricy. I've been saying this a lot, but really, I am. I've heard a lot of people saying that CD "has yet to let them down" or that "they haven't messed up yet!" But, honestly, I don't think that is a good thing. So what if the game wasn't bad? It's not good either. And it's certainly not worth sixty bucks in the U.S. IMO. TR is currently walking in the middle of the street with a muddy ditch on one side of it and a gold paved sidewalk on the other. And you know what happens to people that walk in the middle of the street. They get hit by cars.

It has to find some way to success and that means awesome reviews, public interest, the whole shebang. Otherwise CD risks TR becoming a failure or dying a slow, painful death at the hands of loss of interest and better competition. And that would be a sad thing indeed.

naraku
4th Jan 2010, 07:38
:scratch: Well I wouldn't say I want TR to be like AC or AC2, while Altair and Ezio can climb almost anything, it kinda gets boring at times. Say chasing a thief, I found myself jumping in the wrong directions and grabing onto the wrong roof etc, stabbing the wrong guy:o poor musician guy:whistle: (he had it coming though:p). When looking for Seals(not sea mammals), those levels are very TR in aproach, they even end with a coffin. :thumb: Lara and Ezio could definately trade grave robbing secrets:lol: The guard chasing was a nice touch that would spice things up in TR, say in Time Trail form.

I could do without the big crowds in TR or city scapes.

If the leaked info is to be believed, we will likely see, horseback riding like AC, more puzzles and contracts such as assassination in puzzle form in TR minus Assassinations of course. Sandlot levels with monsters. :eek:

I hope though that the endings don't end like those in AC and AC2, talk about anti-climactic:whistle:

Bampire
4th Jan 2010, 07:59
I disagree with AC2 being Anti-climantic. It sets you up so well with what's coming up in the next game and I found it satisfying. But that's just me. But the first one was anti-climantic, even though it slowly fades int othe next game, like a "To be continued!". I hope that you explored every room with Eagle vision in the first one, so where Desmond would speak of "what is this? Blahblahblah--credits".

But on the horse back riding comment, it's not very AC. It's more like "Hey! a source of transpertation that everyone uses/used at some point! Awesome!" and it's nice to know that Lara would be using it for a quicker way to go about her business. Which is a good thing, since she's always on a motocycle or something more modern.

I honestly love climbing and I climb on everything on every game I play that involves scaling up walls or anything of the sort.

I'm not saying make LAra move exactly like Desmond and his ancestors, more like give her much better moves to scale walls, and also she should be able to climb trees, too. But this climbing/etc should make its way to the proper topic. :whistle:

naraku
4th Jan 2010, 08:29
Oh right the topic... What if Ubi...? Well, :scratch: this topic was already discussed, where Josh and I heatedly debated for Ubi or SE. I was for Ubisoft then, and Josh :scratch:SE I think. Obviously I lost, and SE got the reins, but I suspect I'm right about a few things that might be revealed with TR9.

Anyways I was for Ubi, and I myself boasted Ubi's great tittles, but as I reassessed the validity of my viewpoints, PoP(PS3) kinda left me hanging. It was somewhat of a let down. AC2 is no better. The big finally, reminds me of this Sci-fi show I used to watch, or the endless plot twist in comic books.

I would like the next games to be more like what Naughty Dog has done with its two games, but even then the game would be severely lacking in personality somehow.

I know what it is, Backflips and summersaults while shooting in the mid-air upside down(without the need for slowmo). Aminals (as Elmer Fudd used to say ha a a a a a a a) aligators, snakes, scorpions, COFFINS and badly decomposing dead things, that are still juicy. Whom ever can bring me this in TR form, I'm going with them.

tombraidergal
4th Jan 2010, 18:57
My friend told me she got assassins creed2 for Xmas at school today and she says she loves it! She's got furthur than me, only coz my dad is so strict with playing a game when I want! We had a long convo about it and kept shouting over our friend who was tellig us to stop talking about assassins creed... If tomb raider was a game that could get me talking with a friend... If only it was...

Super Badnik
4th Jan 2010, 21:53
Well, i have played AC2 and to be honest i found it to be a bit repetitive and tedious at times. Although it's cities are amazing and interaction with the environments is impressive on the surface. To be honest i prefered Underworld and other Tomb Raiders over it. But anyway, would it make a difference? Since i'm guessing both Ubisoft and SE would be publishers.

jayjay119
4th Jan 2010, 23:03
Well, i have played AC2 and to be honest i found it to be a bit repetitive and tedious at times. Although it's cities are amazing and interaction with the environments is impressive on the surface. To be honest i prefered Underworld and other Tomb Raiders over it. But anyway, would it make a difference? Since i'm guessing both Ubisoft and SE would be publishers.

Thats an interesting point, we know that Ubi would have aquired CD with the rest of Eidos' studio's but don't forget ubi are also developers who publish their own work and may have wanted to make TR an in house project with Ubi montreal having been the studio that devs PoP and AC more than Square Enix did.