PDA

View Full Version : STORE Revert skin prices.

Khalith
4th Mar 2014, 05:11
I decided to buy a few skins when I first started, the ones that were available for 1k runestones rather than the 1.6k that but after opening the store today I noticed that all of them had been changed to 1.6k, I don't know if that happened recently but I feel as though the price should be reverted. 1.6k in pricing just appears awkward to me because it requires you to spend at least the $10 for one skin that leaves you with the 500 extra runestones. Having the skins at 1k felt more natural to me because it meant I only needed to spend exactly 4.99 per and left myself with 0 runestones left.

I know a few skins were at 1.6k rather than 1k (can't imagine why the discrepancy) but I feel as though all of them should have been brought in line at 1k. Is it possible to revert the prices back? Were the ones listed at 1k a mistake? If so why not change them back 1k and bring the others along with them? I am also curious in regards to skins if the game will have any sort of sales on the items, like a 30-40% off discount that some games do in their cash shops. I'm hoping SE will consider changing it back, in my opinion 5 dollars per skin is way more tempting than having to spend 10 dollars and only being able to afford one.

TendrilSavant
4th Mar 2014, 06:45
I'm hoping SE will consider changing it back, in my opinion 5 dollars per skin is way more tempting than having to spend 10 dollars and only being able to afford one.

I feel the same way. I would have already bought at least a couple skins if I'd known they were 5 dollars at the time. The main thing keeping me from buying skins is that awkward pricing that leaves you with extra runes.

Korevas
4th Mar 2014, 18:39
I feel the same way. I would have already bought at least a couple skins if I'd known they were 5 dollars at the time. The main thing keeping me from buying skins is that awkward pricing that leaves you with extra runes.

Welcome to any point buy system in the history of the internet...

Hugbringer
4th Mar 2014, 18:55
I only got the one I did because I had left over cash in my wallet from a Christmas gift card. Even that I didn't like doing and I only got my favorite one. If I could get them in bulk, say 1 for 5, 3 for 12, 7 for 20, I'd be more willing to spend more.

k8Faust
4th Mar 2014, 19:40

This, and I read here (http://steamcommunity.com/games/200110/announcements/detail/1837771489239677237) that certain skins would be unlockable through progression. Seems a waste to buy the ones that'd unlock eventually; it isn't like skins give me any boost, so if I were to buy something for Runestones, it'd be something that could only be obtained by Runestones, or something that would help me custom-tailor the way a certain class plays (so equipment and such).

But yes, for $4.99, I have fewer reservations about buying skins regardless.

Razaiim
4th Mar 2014, 19:53
This, and I read here (http://steamcommunity.com/games/200110/announcements/detail/1837771489239677237) that certain skins would be unlockable through progression. Seems a waste to buy the ones that'd unlock eventually; it isn't like skins give me any boost, so if I were to buy something for Runestones, it'd be something that could only be obtained by Runestones, or something that would help me custom-tailor the way a certain class plays (so equipment and such).

But yes, for $4.99, I have fewer reservations about buying skins regardless.

I don't think any of the current skins are available as progression rewards. I think those are the Elder skins we are seeing for vampires. IDK about humans though.

Sdoots
4th Mar 2014, 20:12
The skins were all supposed to be 1600, it was a pricing error. Corey made a post that basically said "If you got one of the 1000 runestone priced skins, consider it a beta bonus."

And yeah, right now it sounds like the only progression rewards skin wise are the Elder vampires.

EDIT: Found the thread. (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=10789)

Khalith
4th Mar 2014, 20:20
The skins were all supposed to be 1600, it was a pricing error. Corey made a post that basically said "If you got one of the 1000 runestone priced skins, consider it a beta bonus."

And yeah, right now it sounds like the only progression rewards skin wise are the Elder vampires.

EDIT: Found the thread. (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=10789)

Already saw it, I'm saying, they should go back to 1k and all of them should be 1k for good for the reasons I listed in the OP.

Sdoots
4th Mar 2014, 20:30
I understand that, but nowhere did you mention you had seen that thread, which is why I was sharing it. I figured it was worthwhile to go "Hey, here's why the prices were weird".

To be honest, I have to disagree with you on this one. With all of the items in the store that you can buy with both gold and runestones, having the main runestone exclusive item be somewhat costly doesn't bother me. Anything that makes me people have to consider their purchases works for me. Is it really worth buying that costume when you could get some new gear? That choice is significantly easier when you outright eliminate it.

Khalith
4th Mar 2014, 22:35
To be honest, I have to disagree with you on this one. With all of the items in the store that you can buy with both gold and runestones, having the main runestone exclusive item be somewhat costly doesn't bother me. Anything that makes me people have to consider their purchases works for me. Is it really worth buying that costume when you could get some new gear? That choice is significantly easier when you outright eliminate it.

We'll have to agree to disagree then, I think $5 a skin is way more tempting than the awkward setup it's at now.

k8Faust
5th Mar 2014, 03:09
We'll have to agree to disagree then, I think $5 a skin is way more tempting than the awkward setup it's at now.

Tempting? More like affordably easy to justify spending money on something that does nothing but make you look cool.

Anyhow... Sdoots, the thrifty player isn't going to look at the store and decide between items he can obtain by playing the game or items that can only be bought with Runestones. The decision will be which of those Runestone-only purchases will he spend his money on. Also, the thrifty player won't already have turned actual currency in to game-specific currency before coming to a decision, as saving said money is always a valid option (especially for upcoming Steam Sales).

As for those players keen on spending oodles of cash, there is always something to offer them that'd get them to pay more than they probably should, like unique items in a bundle of stuff they already own.

Xenonetix
5th Mar 2014, 12:49
Hi everyone,

These are new premium skins and a lot of work and effort has gone into creating them. Our long-term goal is to cater to all players, and we will produce skins that will be available to purchase with fewer Runestones, but the ones available for now are our premium skins and the price reflects that.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, but naturally this is an early Beta build, and there will be many changes over time! Naturally a few of these changes have be to negative to keep balance, but we trying to make sure the majority are positive :)

~ Xenon & GK ~

TendrilSavant
6th Mar 2014, 06:32
These are new premium skins and a lot of work and effort has gone into creating them. Our long-term goal is to cater to all players, and we will produce skins that will be available to purchase with fewer Runestones, but the ones available for now are our premium skins and the price reflects that.

"Premium" would imply that you could buy cheaper alternatives, which there isn't. And you can't put a price on default ones, because if we had to pay for those then what would we play as? Walking hitboxes?

My problem is not that the price of a skin is 1600 runes, it's that to buy that skin I have to buy a 2100 runes bundle. Meaning, you are expecting/forcing your player base to spend a minimum of $10 for a skin. Right now, to break the barrier of $10 per skin, you have to buy $30 worth of runes (which gets you 4 skins with 100 runes left).

To buy 1 unique skin per class right now, you'd have to buy $45 worth of runes. And if you include the 4 classes that will be added later, you'll need $75 worth of runes. You could argue that not many people will spend close to that, but this is F2P, the business model is based on how much your hardcore player is willing to pay.

Personally, I think that $6.50 (1300 runes) for a skin would be an ideal price point. This allows you to break the $10 per skin barrier at a much lower and consumer friendly price of $15 (getting you 2 skins).

I'm not trying to be miserly here (I spend on usual the value a retail game on F2P games, sometimes more), and I'm definitely not trying belittle the efforts of the artists. I'm just worried that the current price points will discourage many players from making even one purchase.