PDA

View Full Version : MISC. Point/XP reward for survival in TDM

Boreaquis
3rd Mar 2014, 16:29
One thing I've noticed is that players who continually do kamikaze (getting a negative k/d ratio) will usually end up getting far more points than those who play carefully (getting a positive k/d ratio, but less overall damage).

Shouldn't players be rewarded for surviving in TDM, where the team effectively has a shared pool of lives? It seems the current system encourages behaviour that's not beneficial to teamwork (and actually winning).

Strike5150
4th Mar 2014, 07:53
While you are right about it being detrimental if you throw your life away and no one can capitalize on your sacrifice. It is also true that tyrants for example who run enrage end up with a lower k/d ratio but often do a significant amount of damage before they die.

This can be extremely important because it means your team can clean up afterwards. So there will often be games where the initiator has a lot of damage and a lower k/d ratio but the team overall does well. So it is just as important to count damage and assists if not more important than having a really good k/d ratio. The issue with "staying alive" is that you may not be helping your team because you are being too careful. Vampires excel at creating chaos and it benefits them a great deal when the humans have a lot of targets to spread their fire onto.

Oroibahazopi
4th Mar 2014, 09:18
Just add in kill streaks, 3, 6, 9 would probably be about right for this game. People should absolutely be trained that staying alive and not giving away kills is as important as getting a kill.

Boreaquis
4th Mar 2014, 15:36
While you are right about it being detrimental if you throw your life away and no one can capitalize on your sacrifice. It is also true that tyrants for example who run enrage end up with a lower k/d ratio but often do a significant amount of damage before they die.

This can be extremely important because it means your team can clean up afterwards. So there will often be games where the initiator has a lot of damage and a lower k/d ratio but the team overall does well. So it is just as important to count damage and assists if not more important than having a really good k/d ratio. The issue with "staying alive" is that you may not be helping your team because you are being too careful. Vampires excel at creating chaos and it benefits them a great deal when the humans have a lot of targets to spread their fire onto.

Definitely agree in regards to initiation. That's obviously a crucial role that can often lead in death while still benefiting the team. In terms of people being too careful, you could just stop the survival XP whenever players aren't being passive for too long.

Maybe what we actually need is more "shared" XP for engaging as a team? That's certainly the biggest problem in the low-ranked games I play, so some way of conditioning new players into coordinating would be helpful. This might also be an incentive for people to play more "support"-type skills as well.

Now that I think about it, why are there no point bonuses from saving your team mates from pounce, abduct, etc? This may be suited for a separate topic, but I think the gist of it is that I'd like to see rewards for more than just dealing damage and getting kills.

Strike5150
5th Mar 2014, 07:59
Thats a really good idea. I would love to see points for saving people from another vampire.

cmstache
5th Mar 2014, 23:27
The issue with "staying alive" is that more often than not you leave your teammates out to dry.

And the team XP sounds cool. Maybe a 100XP bonus for each person on the team if all 4 players survive while everyone on the opposing team dies within 45 seconds? (An engagement)

Boreaquis
6th Mar 2014, 06:39
The issue with "staying alive" is that more often than not you leave your teammates out to dry.

And the team XP sounds cool. Maybe a 100XP bonus for each person on the team if all 4 players survive while everyone on the opposing team dies within 45 seconds? (An engagement)

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I realize that I don't want points for surviving, I want points for teamplay, as that effectively solves my problem with people who run in alone as well.