PDA

View Full Version : EIDOS doesn't support laptops?!?

joshdog
17th Dec 2009, 16:45
I'm getting a "cyclic redundancy error" trying to install Batman: Arkham Asylum on my Toshiba Qosmio. Tried contacting EIDOS online support and the response I get back is "we do not support laptops".

Really?!? My Qosmio more than meets the recommended system requirements and runs every other game I've ever loaded on it. Where is it on the package game requirements that you need a desktop to run EIDOS games?

:confused:

homeycdawg
17th Dec 2009, 22:00
I have to admit, that response you got is kind of a cop-out, as I've read about many laptops running this game.

Is it the disc version or a downloaded version? A CRC error usually means corrupted download/damaged disc.

Laptopnut
18th Dec 2009, 01:25
That comment is just a lazy excuse. I completed Arkham Asylum on my laptop and wouldn't have purchased it otherwise. These game companies should realise that many sales are for all of those so called unsupported laptops. CRC error would suggest a problematic / scratched or damaged CD and if it is a download then the download has become corrupted. It won't hurt to run a quick chkdsk /f on your laptop hard drive as well. Also make sure that your hard drive has sufficient space and that temp files are cleared.

joshdog
20th Dec 2009, 05:27
Still trying to resolve this issue. I exchanged the disk for another and have the same problem. It will install on my wife's laptop, but that doesn' t do me much good since her's doesn't have the horsepower to play it.

Scanned my harddrives for bad sectors (none) and have tried to install on three different harddrives (two internal one external) with the same results.

So clearly, there is some compatibility problem between my DVD drive and the game discs. My laptops drive is a Toshiba 8x HD-DVD ROM (yeah, I know they lost the format war). I had the install issue with Vista and then upgraded to Windows 7, but that didn't fix it. I'm completely up to date with all drivers.

I'm running out of ideas and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

joshdog
22nd Dec 2009, 17:17
Finally resolved this by using my wife's laptop to copy the disc to our home media server and then installed to my laptop directly from the media server. Didn't use any special program to copy or burn, just standard old windows explorer copy and paste. I'm surprised it worked, but it did.

homeycdawg
22nd Dec 2009, 18:49
bravo :)