PDA

View Full Version : USER INTERFACE Buff and debuff timer

samusco
3rd Mar 2014, 12:10
There needs to be a timer for how long buffs and debuffs remain on you. Something similar to dota, a small icon that counts down like a mini clock. For something like the tyrant's "ignore pain" I'm ALWAYS looking for that timer instinctively and get a bit peeved when I can't find it.

hirukaru
3rd Mar 2014, 12:38
I Understand that you want a timer for the skills, but this will take the fun out of it and can make the skill more powerfull then intended. The best way is use the skill and feel when it is going to run out.

Strike5150
3rd Mar 2014, 14:50
While I agree with Hiru I think differently about it. I really don't think it makes the skill more powerful, but I do think it takes away from what you should be doing and can be bad for gameplay. Ideally you should be looking at your UI at all really. Its much more fun to watch the other players and try to come up with tactical solutions rather than watching buff timers. You will also after a lot of time with a skill instinctively know when it will run out (roughly).

This does bring up an interesting issue though which I have mentioned several times. This definitely happens with evasion and most likely with other skills too. Evasion will actually end before it is removed from your character model. I've been shot a lot while I was sure evasion was still up, and because we play over raidcall I can ask if he thought I had evasion up or not. What I figured out was that evasion ends sooner for enemy players than it does for you. So you mistakenly think your still good, but in fact your evasion/ignore pain is worn off and your getting shot for full damage.

Diexna
3rd Mar 2014, 15:04
From my experience in... well, all kinds of games, here's my thought.

Adding more UI to the screen should never be done unless it can be done so effortlessly in a way that already exists. A new spell in DotA 2 isn't showing the debuff timer correctly? Then let's just fix that. The whole debuff/buff timers already exist, and are an important aspect of the game when you have spells flying around everywhere with all kinds of effects.

In Nosgoth, however? They'd have to add to the UI to make room for such a thing. There are so few debuffs/buffs so it's not in nearly the same way required as in other games. Personally I feel like you should be able to eventually learn how long abilities last rather than having to look at a number that tells you what it is.

What instead should be done? Add an aspect to buffs/debuffs that allows you to see when they are ending before they ending, just by looking at the characters. Evasion/Ignore Pain for example could begin to fade out in color, making it look as if it's wearing off before it completely has.

Khalith
3rd Mar 2014, 15:48
I like the idea of the timer, I would suggest making it mostly transparent color coded next to your character.

Imagine you are hit by a bola, a red tinted timer appears next to your character, it ticks down 3... 2... 1... then your character breaks out of it.

You pop evasion, slightly transparent and blue tinted timer appears next to your character, ticks down the seconds and when the timer ends you know you're vulnerable again.

The same could be done with any of the buffs/debuffs in the game, definitely agree with the OP about more information like that being given to players.

Razaiim
3rd Mar 2014, 17:19
This does bring up an interesting issue though which I have mentioned several times. This definitely happens with evasion and most likely with other skills too. Evasion will actually end before it is removed from your character model. I've been shot a lot while I was sure evasion was still up, and because we play over raidcall I can ask if he thought I had evasion up or not. What I figured out was that evasion ends sooner for enemy players than it does for you. So you mistakenly think your still good, but in fact your evasion/ignore pain is worn off and your getting shot for full damage.

I saw the opposite situation for the first time yesterday, A tyrant was attacking about 2 seconds before the ignore pain effect was removed from him.

Strike5150
4th Mar 2014, 07:56
I saw the opposite situation for the first time yesterday, A tyrant was attacking about 2 seconds before the ignore pain effect was removed from him.

Interesting, I didn't know it could happen the other way around too. This is definitely something that needs fixing it can be a game changer for humans/vampires alike.