PDA

View Full Version : will the sequel follow the same format?

The jackhammer
15th Dec 2009, 05:00
Something I've been wondering about recently is wether or not the sequel will follow the "longest night of batman's life" format and the entire story takes place over the course of one night. Not sure which I would prefer. I loved the first arkham asylum except I felt the story was just too short. I think the all in one night format pretty much guarentees a 7-9 hour gaming experience.

door noob
15th Dec 2009, 13:53
We only know as much as you do, and with only one trailer released, we don't know a lot...

I'm Professional
15th Dec 2009, 15:58
I'd really like a LONGER story so that there's time for Batman to Brood

The jackhammer
15th Dec 2009, 16:12
i know, just bringing up a talking point.
I have a feeling we're going to be having a dry spell of news for a while.

NoMoarDedCawpz
15th Dec 2009, 16:33
I'd really like a LONGER story so that there's time for Batman to Brood

Batman: 4:00, wallow in self pity; 4:30, stare into the abyss; 5:00, solve world hunger, tell no one; 5:30, jazzercize; 6:30, dinner with me - I can't cancel that again; 7:00, wrestle with my self-loathing... I'm booked!

Nemesis296
15th Dec 2009, 17:27
Batman: 4:00, wallow in self pity; 4:30, stare into the abyss; 5:00, solve world hunger, tell no one; 5:30, jazzercize; 6:30, dinner with me - I can't cancel that again; 7:00, wrestle with my self-loathing... I'm booked!

Am I eating because I'm bored? :lol:

SammiiDoogles
15th Dec 2009, 17:28

:lol:

Drazar
15th Dec 2009, 17:29

Get out of here grinch!

kalle90
15th Dec 2009, 18:55
If the scale is as big as most believe, ie Joker and Two Face fighting, I don't think Batman can solve it in 1 night.

Another interesting take could be an improved system from Batman&Robin. Dead Rising is another game that used similiar system.

Wikipedia: "Batman & Robin use elements of a Sandbox style game, such as real time events, traffic simulation and civilian population, although in a primitive way. In the game, the player travels around Gotham City and completes various individual missions, such as preventing Mr. Freeze from robbing a bank. Most of the events are not triggered, instead each event occurs at a certain time. For example, Mr. Freeze's bank robbery occurs at 7 p.m. The player must find clues and discover the plot with the help of the Batcomputer. If the player cannot find enough clues, the event occurs, failing the mission. Some situations are derived directly from the plot of the film while others can deviate, sometimes heavily, from it."

Difference to Batman&Robin and Dead Rising should be that failing 1 mission doesn't always mean Game Over. You could defeat and apprehend some criminal in multiple places, you could find clues in multiple locations instead of just 1 and so on.

Nightwing
15th Dec 2009, 19:21
Difference to Batman&Robin and Dead Rising should be that failing 1 mission doesn't always mean Game Over. You could defeat and apprehend some criminal in multiple places, you could find clues in multiple locations instead of just 1 and so on.

Multiple possible storylines/ways to win and uncover the plot in time would be amazing. I've always felt that the detective element should be key to the game. In the original, they did an ok job with the detective bit, but it was all just a bit too linear "follow the line of tobbacco/whiskey fumes/fingerprints etc" If you make it open world, make the detective work a little more open world style. It'll be 100 times tougher and pretty much write off all casual gamers... but i don't like casual gamers anyway :p

DarkKnightDanny
15th Dec 2009, 19:30
i really hope it does. the linear,old school format was what made it for me. alot of games today give you free realm and freedom to do what you want. so it was a refreshing change(or regression?) to have a batman game that was an on the rails blast of brilliance.

The jackhammer
15th Dec 2009, 23:18
Idk, hopefully it wont venture too far from the first game in style

BatDood
16th Dec 2009, 00:35
The same format worked great for my liking. I'd just really like to see a longer story. I guess every story has to end sooner or later. Maybe the reason why this one seemed to go by so fast was just because it was such an amazing game. A Batman fan's dream-come-true, if you will. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing it last a little longer than the first one did.

Hall E Woode
16th Dec 2009, 00:59
The same format worked great for my liking. I'd just really like to see a longer story. I guess every story has to end sooner or later. Maybe the reason why this one seemed to go by so fast was just because it was such an amazing game. A Batman fan's dream-come-true, if you will. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing it last a little longer than the first one did.

I can speed through AA in 5 hours. I want 15 hours for AA2 if I speed through it, 20-25 if I play it normally. :D

BatDood
16th Dec 2009, 01:03
I can speed through AA in 5 hours. I want 15 hours for AA2 if I speed through it, 20-25 if I play it normally. :D

Yeah, that's the ticket!

SSJGoku786
16th Dec 2009, 02:03
If it takes place directly after the first game, then it'd be morning very quickly. Unless the longest night of his life ended up being an hour or two.
When Batman beings The Joker in, the streets are clear, no pedestrian or car is seen. So, it's safe to assume it's quite late. Even if it is late, there should've still been some thugs hanging around, but I guess we only saw a couple of glimpses of the city, so it may just have been those areas that were clear.

Secondly, if it does take place directly after, as soon as he has flown back, then it would be fair to assume he still has those gadgets we unlocked from the first.

The jackhammer
16th Dec 2009, 17:34
maybe itll be open world with a day and night cycle like gta IV.
Who knows.

door noob
16th Dec 2009, 19:34
maybe itll be open world with a day and night cycle like gta IV.
Who knows.

We're not advance in technology that much and fortunetly it might follow the same path its predacesor did, check this out. http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=99042

bat_brain
19th Dec 2009, 04:12
i hope so. it had the perfect balance of story,gameplay,battles,puzzles,exploration,and the challenges.

they spent just enough time on each w/o making the above mentioned individual aspects too time-consuming. the only thing they could add to it is multiplayer.

maybe batman and robin,etc.. even though i cant stand the boy-blunder.

a lot of fun to play, great game,even if you aren't that big of a batman fan IMO.

The_Hylden
19th Dec 2009, 10:30
I do think they'll have to break it up to some degree, whether that be multiple nights as chapters progress, or day and night. I wouldn't suspect they'd follow up the game that boasted the longest night in Batman's life with ... the longest night NOW in Batman's life. It's a bit redundant.