PDA

View Full Version : Batman: Arkham Asylum 2 Do's and Dont's

Batman The Trailer Hunter
8th Dec 2009, 19:05
I found this dudes thoughts and i agree with him, cept nightwing should be the new oricle or sumthing. http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Throne/news/?a=12287

What should become of the sequel to this year's smash hit?
Batman Arkham Asylum was this year's surprise hit and was highly acclaimed by many. With whispers of an inevitable sequel on the horizon, I break down what could and shouldn't be done.

Do's

1) Open World Gotham: Now, I am not saying open world on a Grand Theft Auto scale but give us some familiar locales and Bat-mobile driving segments in order to fully take in the Gothic surroundings of Gotham. I would also allow for more Invisible Predator techniques

2) Playable iconic story lines: I, like many loved the original story of the original Batman:AA. However, I would like little playable stories that we already know and love such as No Man's Land or The Long Halloween. Now, I don't want it to be the main story but almost as a series of missions leading to a bigger plot point.

3) Mafia undertone: Gotham's mafia fell to the villian madness years ago, but instead of Joker thugs to beat up I would like to beat up terrified mobsters.

4) More Character "Riddler's riddles" nods: You and I both know the entire rouges gallery could not be fit in the game. Still, one of my favorite parts of the original game was fining the character nods to the rouge's gallery.

Dont's

1) No multiplayer: Do not bring multiplayer into this single player perfection. It would ruin the feel. However, more modes like the Challenge mode pitting you against A.I. would compensate.

2) No Robin, Nightwing, Spoiler: No partners. Not even for a co-op experience.

3) No returning baddies: No villains from the orignal game should return seeing as how they were just returned to Arkham. Which means, sadly, no on-screen Joker. To compensate, the Joker could be this game's Riddler who leaves taunts and obscure jokes throughout the city. This would also allow Mark Hamill to return

4)No Penguin: I just hate him. Admit it, you do too.

5) Don't subtract, add: Add game play elements. Don't take them away

Personal Wants:
Two Face and Black Mask, other superhero references, batmobile or batcycle chases, longer story

Until the next time, I'll be on the Throne

Intresca133
8th Dec 2009, 19:31
I do NOT want open world. What made this game so cool was that you were stuck in a great environment without a bunch of random distractions. Multiple locations sure, but keep it story driven. No jumping from random place to place. I agree with no partners, and no damn penguin, I can't stand him.

Nemesis296
8th Dec 2009, 19:45
Dont's

1) No multiplayer: Do not bring multiplayer into this single player perfection. It would ruin the feel. However, more modes like the Challenge mode pitting you against A.I. would compensate.

2) No Robin, Nightwing, Spoiler: No partners. Not even for a co-op experience.

I love this guy :)

JackWinz
8th Dec 2009, 20:15
Batfamily = yes, but only as extra characters in challenge maps.

And I don't want open world, not at all, I would say put it in defferent levels (Buildings) but that ruins the zelda-ish feel of having to go back and forth tfrom place to place. maybe like it was done in metroid prime 3, different planet to go to with your ship (Batmobile) or find another suitable lockdown loacation, e.g. Black gate, wayne corp. etc.

Nibiru
8th Dec 2009, 20:43
I don't think open world will suit the game. Perhaps it can be done, but not destroying the atmosphere and style of the game. Perhaps the sewer system can be a kind of a corridor between locations and it can be full of villains and bad guys too. As for "Bat-family" I agree with you absolutely. I want to see Batman as a lone knight fighting against dark side of Gotham. I took the point about new Batman villains and no repetitions, but Scarecrow to my mind can appear again but he should be given a full location with his own servants etc. More respect should be displayed to this outstanding character. Except Riddler there can be Calendar Man with his own prizes or something like that to create the game more active and interesting. And finally I should say that I'm dreaming of adding a big story-line, that'd be cool.

KillerCroc
8th Dec 2009, 21:00
I'd just ignore this guy, his throne must be his bathroom where these terrible ideas come from. Just let the developers handle the game, they did great on this one.

Rareless09
9th Dec 2009, 04:34
I disagree with no co-op. I really could see two-player Invisible Predator sections with Batman and Robin doing team-up takedowns on thugs in a large environment, kind of like the partner sections in Gears of War.
If not that, at least they could give Robin his own challenge rooms.

I do like the idea of a semi-open world. I'd really like to patrol the streets of Gotham in the Batmobile, but one problem always persists...Traffic, how the developers will deal with this I don't know.

Drazar
9th Dec 2009, 06:49
As a Moderator i've seen two things people have wanted and everyone agreed on:
Gotham Setting
More Costumes

Those are the definite things fans are wanting, then you can break it to discussions whenever it's freeroam like GTA or level-wise with big emphasis on story telling, then you have loads of people wanting more characters as playable and with a big part on the story, while you have some who want co-op feature and then you got those who stricly want it to be just Batman. Ofcourse theres some people who also wish and suggest for playable villains in the story mode, least of all to be able to drive the Batmobile.

It's alot of discussions with both sides having good arguments and debates why it should be this way really.

BatDood
9th Dec 2009, 19:02
I've said it before - I don't want other playable characters. I want to play as Batman, period. PS3 folks got the ability to play as the Joker (I am one of them) and I don't care for it. The novelty wore off after I played a couple of challenges and I've never gone back to playing as the Joker since. I probably should have just given my code to someone else for all I care about it. If they're contemplating putting money and effort into other playable characters then I'd like to say right off the top that I'd rather them take those resources and put them into the "BATMAN" experience.

With that said, I guess that would rule out the co-op idea and I'm not too concerned about that either. All this "open-world", "multiplayer" discussion is basically concluding with the changing of the dynamics of an already great game.

The devs have done a great job on this game. Although I could come up with a couple of items on my wish-list, the one that sits on top of them all is simply to have a longer experience in story mode.

9th Dec 2009, 20:12
What if they had a little mini mode for other characters like after you get 100% for the game you get like a nightwing to use with basically the same moves only more personalized?

Rareless09
9th Dec 2009, 20:25
I've said it before - [B]If they're contemplating putting money and effort into other playable characters then I'd like to say right off the top that I'd rather them take those resources and put them into the "BATMAN" experience.

Doesn't the Batman experience include his allies? I really don't see anything wrong with making like 20% gameplay as Robin or Nightwing. I think it would add more variety to the game. As long as the character designs are cool, this couldn't hurt the game.

Arkham Asylum has covered a lot of the Batman qualities already. I think the only ones left are the vehicles and his allies. But I would say if they could only choose one, then I'd like them to incorporate good driving/chase sequences in the Batmobile, Batcylce, etc.

Main villain=Ras Al Ghul:p

BatDood
9th Dec 2009, 20:26
What if they had a little mini mode for other characters like after you get 100% for the game you get like a nightwing to use with basically the same moves only more personalized?

Again, you're talking about taking resources and putting them towards the development of other playable characters. I'd rather them use those resources for Batman. And yes, we are talking about development resources. Why do you think they're not coming out with more DLC for the current game? The unnecessary use of resources. It seems pretty clear that a second BATMAN game will lack development on the main character because they spent those efforts on creating extra characters, when they could be making BATMAN the best that he can be.

I'm sorry to disagree with you but I am dead set against extra playable characters. The next thing you know, we'll be seeing Batman turn into another one of those multiplayer, top-down superhero games that we've been fed lately. The reason why I love this game so much is because it's NOT one of those. Let the other characters get their own game.

BatDood
9th Dec 2009, 20:32
Doesn't the Batman experience include his allies?

As far as MY Batman experience goes - no, it doesn't. I don't want to play a Nightwing game. I don't want to play a Robin game. I don't want to own a Batman game where I'm playing as someone else. I have zero interest. Especially if it hinders the development of the main character.

They spend lots of money to pay people to develop games. If that money is spent paying people to develop other characters to play as, I will certainly be disappointed.

Once again - let the Bat-family get their own games.

Nemesis296
9th Dec 2009, 20:32
I'm sorry to disagree with you but I am dead set against extra playable characters. The next thing you know, we'll be seeing Batman turn into another one of those multiplayer, top-down superhero games that we've been fed lately. The reason why I love this game so much is because it's NOT one of those. Let the other characters get their own game.

I'm with ya on this one. Extra characters take away from the overall experience of the solid character gameplay that should have been in the game. I had to chuckle somewhat at the mental picture of what a TERRIBLE game Batman would be if it were like Marvel Ultimate Alliance...

Nibiru
9th Dec 2009, 20:39
I absolutely agree with BatDood. It's useless to add other playable characters, because it's a waste of resources. Other characters will not only destroy the whole atmosphere, but to my mind will break the whole game. I love this game because Batman there was alone, without anyone from Bat-family. I think many people including me are fond of Batman as a lone knight. It makes the game exciting. The feeling that you're alone here with all those mad men.
Let the other characters get their own game.
I agree with you perfectly. AA is the game about Batman, let it be the same.

BatDood
9th Dec 2009, 20:40
I'm with ya on this one. Extra characters take away from the overall experience of the solid character gameplay that should have been in the game. I had to chuckle somewhat at the mental picture of what a TERRIBLE game Batman would be if it were like Marvel Ultimate Alliance...

Thanks. I was starting to feel like the odd man out here.

Look. I'm fine with some company coming out with a Bat-family game. I've seen lots of posts where it's even been suggested that there be other DC characters such as Superman added. Fine - in some other game

BUT, don't create a game called BATMAN: (insert new title here) and then feed me Super-Friends through the back door. I'm just not interested.

BatDood
9th Dec 2009, 20:45
I think many people including me are fond of Batman as a lone knight. It makes the game exciting. The feeling that you're alone here with all those mad men.

+1 My thoughts exactly!

Drazar
9th Dec 2009, 20:49
Personally i would be disheartened to not see Robin, Nightwing and others there at Gotham city if Batman would taggle it's crime. Batman's never been a loner even tho he personally believed so, until he realized he was never alone while others have.

Gotham city has so much potential for a large scale crime story, and to me as a longtime comic reader among other Batman stuff, it only enchances the story to see Batman's allies helping him there and working things out. From the Question to Oracle and whatnot, giving players the chance to play as the stave wielding Tim Drake to the acrobatic master Nightwing would be just totally outrageous for me personally.

It's all up to Rocksteady. Robin wasn't added to the game because they feel they couldn't do him justice, but with Gotham city and no "death trap" plot centered around Batman. I can feel optimistic to see some great storytelling with a wider character gallery from villains to heroes.

BatDood
9th Dec 2009, 21:03
Drazar, I usually don't find myself disagreeing with you on stuff but this is one time where I do. There are a lot of us die-hard Batman fans that have no interest in Robin and his various incarnations. I'm 45 years old and loved Batman since I was a kid. We're talking a lot of years growing up with Batman. My favourite books have always been the ones with Dark Knight on his own.

Stop to think for a second that maybe the devs didn't want to create a Batman and Robin game. Lord knows, they screwed up the Batman movie franchise when they decided to put Robin in. The devs probably thought it was a safer bet to have Batman on his own and if that's the case, I agree with it.

Drazar
9th Dec 2009, 21:10
Drazar, I usually don't find myself disagreeing with you on stuff but this is one time where I do. There are a lot of us die-hard Batman fans that have no interest in Robin and his various incarnations. I'm 45 years old and loved Batman since I was a kid. We're talking a lot of years growing up with Batman. My favourite books have always been the ones with Dark Knight on his own.

See i'm perfectly fine with discussions. Please noone here get disheartened by my moderator rank. My opinion is as much worth as anyones' here!

I totally am aware there is that "only Batman" democracy who have close to 0 interest for anyone besides Robin.

Stop to think for a second that maybe the devs didn't want to create a Batman and Robin game. Lord knows, they screwed up the Batman movie franchise when they decided to put Robin in. The devs probably thought it was a safer bet to have Batman on his own and I agree with it.

The Batman movie franchise wasn't ruined by Robin, but my horrible decisions from various people. Who knows maybe if Tim Burton had done Batman 3 would Robin be the coolest thing there is? :p

I mean when we say things like "Robin ruined the franchise" what about the villains Two-Face, Riddler, Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze? Should game developers shun away these villains because they had the bad luck of being in bad movies? I mean yes now Two-Face is widely more popular thanks to Aaron Eckhart's brilliant emotional play of him in the Dark Knight movie, but did people shun Poison Ivy because of Uma Thurman's performance in Batman and Robin movie?

It really is a fun taggle Rocksteady and any game developer can have when it comes to expanding Batman's supporting cast, and with the writer Paul Dini on their side. I have no worries about the characterics whatsoever. :)

KillerCroc
9th Dec 2009, 21:16
Well, I like Robin...

BatDood
9th Dec 2009, 22:16
The Batman movie franchise wasn't ruined by Robin, but by horrible decisions from various people. Who knows maybe if Tim Burton had done Batman 3 would Robin be the coolest thing there is? :p
Okay. I'll agree with that statement. But, here's the thing - over the years, when Robin makes any kind of on-screen appearance, there usually seems to be this campy, one-liner characteristic that's always attached to him. Probably because they perceive him as a young, rambunctious super-hero side kick. Be it live-action movies to cartoons. There just seems to be this campy stigma that media producers feel should be a part of the character. If that prevalent attitude seeps into the games, I don't want it. And c'mon; you know they're going to do it. I'm sorry but Robin is not some dark, brooding character and the vast majority does not see him that way. Sure, the circumstances of him becoming Robin in the first place are dark but he's just not a dark character. Geez, his name is ROBIN, of all things. It wasn't until he changed his modus operandi to NIGHTWING where he actually became cool and gave him any kind of credibility as a lone superhero.

I mean when we say things like "Robin ruined the franchise" what about the villains Two-Face, Riddler, Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze? Should game developers shun away these villains because they had the bad luck of being in bad movies? I mean yes now Two-Face is widely more popular thanks to Aaron Eckhart's brilliant emotional play of him in the Dark Knight movie, but did people shun Poison Ivy because of Uma Thurman's performance in Batman and Robin movie?

Once they introduced the campy nature of what they perceived Robin as being, I guess they just felt that it had to permeate into everyone else as well. I hated it because it seemed as though they were just trying to recreate that '60's show all over again and failed miserably.

It really is a fun taggle Rocksteady and any game developer can have when it comes to expanding Batman's supporting cast, and with the writer Paul Dini on their side. I have no worries about the characterics whatsoever. :)

Still my bottom line is no extra playable characters. Robin/Nightwing fans can make a case for him until they're blue in the face but it's not going to change my mind about wanting to play as him in my Batman game. You introduce ONE extra playable character and you open the doors to changing the game from the great juggernaut that it has become.

Rareless09
9th Dec 2009, 23:02
Still my bottom line is no extra playable characters. Robin/Nightwing fans can make a case for him until they're blue in the face but it's not going to change my mind about wanting to play as him in my Batman game. You introduce ONE extra playable character and you open the doors to changing the game from the great juggernaut that it has become.

I think you're missing the point, just saying that you don't want to play as Robin/Nightwing because you don't like the character doesn't mean those gameplay sections can't still be entertaining. I understand you don't like the character, but to be fair there were people who played Arkham Asylum who could care less about Batman and still enjoyed the game.

Its all about the gameplay is what I'm saying. If the sequel is really going to be longer and larger expanding the scope of the gameplay is going to be very important. Games like Halo 2 and Resident Evil 4 both allowed you to play as secondary characters at certain points and it added to the experience because those sections were well done and offered good variety.

Since Gotham is a large sprawling city, I really could see Nightwing having a few of his own missions in the game. It would change up the pace of the gameplay which is good for a longer game. Nightwing would be ideal because he has certain parts of Gotham that he alone patrols. He also understands that Batman acts alone so he wouldn't really interfere with things.

As far as this taking resources away from Batman, I would have to disagree. Batman is already fully developed from the first game, they don't have to redevelop him from scratch which buys a lot of time. This means they'll be able to put more time into other parts of the game without compromising the quality of Batman.

Drazar
9th Dec 2009, 23:34
when Robin makes any kind of on-screen appearance, there usually seems to be this campy, one-liner characteristic that's always attached to him. Probably because they perceive him as a young, rambunctious super-hero side kick. Be it live-action movies to cartoons. There just seems to be this campy stigma that media producers feel should be a part of the character.

Robin can make jokes and have a sense of humour as much as Bruce Wayne does from some writers. BTAS showed both Richard Grayson & Tim Drake as comedic yet very serious characters, while infact Tim Drake became a horrible victim to Joker (since this show didn't have Jason Tddd).

Batman the Brave and the Bold showed Robin also as very serious person, with a sense of humour. Yes there is "camp" value on this guy, but as much as Batman also does from both characters long history from different eras.

If that prevalent attitude seeps into the games, I don't want it. And c'mon; you know they're going to do it. I'm sorry but Robin is not some dark, brooding character and the vast majority does not see him that way. Sure, the circumstances of him becoming Robin in the first place are dark but he's just not a dark character. Geez, his name is ROBIN, of all things. It wasn't until he changed his modus operandi to NIGHTWING where he actually became cool and gave him any kind of credibility as a lone superhero.

I don't see anything wrong with the fact Robin and Nightwing aren't as dark and brooding, some incarnations of Batman have been. I mean neither are Penquin, Catwoman or Harley Quinn for example. It adds variety and color to the mythos to have such a large variety of characters. Grayson developed to his own hero who has fought crime since child but he still has that smile, humour and acrobatics as he did as Boy Wonder.

Tim Drake started as your usual happy-no-relatives-dead Robin until someone at DC decided that from his family to close friends should be killed off. ;_; Now Tim's been a very Bruce-alike Robin (well he's now Red Robin) but with still some unique personality and optism, but i do feel it felt abit cheapened when he became a brooding young Bruce Wayne character.

Once they introduced the campy nature of what they perceived Robin as being, I guess they just felt that it had to permeate into everyone else as well. I hated it because it seemed as though they were just trying to recreate that '60's show all over again and failed miserably.

Even if Robin wasn't in any of those movies im Carey would still have been the same as Riddler, because Jim was a hot comedian actor during that era of 90s and he was playing the same character as he had in Ace Ventura. I really would say it was the Director (who admittely is a fan of the 60s show) who made the decision for the theme of the movies. Not the addition of Robin.

Well thats your opinion and i respect that. We all just are showing our own views on the future of Batman video games really. I personally feel it could be a good expander while you worry it would be very damaging.

BatDood
9th Dec 2009, 23:36
I haven't missed the point. I don't want to play a Batman game as any other character and and I don't want the development taken away from him. It's really quite simple. I never said that I dislike any other character. I just don't want to play as them. I'm playing a Batman game to be Batman and I don't need these little side tracks by being other characters. Once again - let those characters have their own games. If they're so great, then why would they have to ride the coat tails (or cape) of Batman? If they're such potentially fun characters to play as, then game developers should be clamoring to create games based on their characters. Right? I don't see it happening any time soon and I don't want a great Batman game watered down with extra characters that really don't need to be there. I can't be any more straight forward than that.

And as far as Batman being fully developed; I disagree. There's still lots that they could do with HIM, without having to concentrate on developing his "family".

Drazar
9th Dec 2009, 23:41
Once again - let those characters have their own games. If they're so great, then why would they have to ride the coat tails (or cape) of Batman?

Because they play a big part of Batman mythos and are very important supporting cast characters as much as the villains are.

BatDood
9th Dec 2009, 23:45
Okay, here's a scenario: you have a budget of "X" amount of dollars to deve,op the sequel. There's only so many things you can put into the game without running over-budget. You have a choice of putting Nightwing in the game or having levels where you can actually drive the Batmobile. Which are you going to choose?

For those that say Nightwing - it's a perfect example of how it'll take away from the Batman experience. Seriously - think about it. It's not as though budgeting for game development is unlimited.

Drazar
9th Dec 2009, 23:46
Well remember they choose the things for whats best for the game and story overall. It's one of the reasons they chose to not have any Batmobile sequances in the game. If they do feel that adding Nightwing is better than adding Batmobile sequences, thats totally their decision on the matter.

BatDood
10th Dec 2009, 00:05
Well remember they choose the things for whats best for the game and story overall. It's one of the reasons they chose to not have any Batmobile sequances in the game. If they do feel that adding Nightwing is better than adding Batmobile sequences, thats totally their decision on the matter.

Well, when you put it that way, it doesn't matter what we say here as far as what we'd like (or not like) to see then. They're the ones that make the decisions so anything said here is rather fruitless.

Rareless09
10th Dec 2009, 00:19
And as far as Batman being fully developed; I disagree. There's still lots that they could do with HIM, without having to concentrate on developing his "family".

Well, when you've modeled a character and designed the code for the game to work, I consider that fully developed. Anything else from there is added on for later games. The point I'm making is they don't have to start from scratch, most of the game mechanics will return in the sequel from the first game albeit more refined.

If you look at Gears of War vs. Gears of War 2, the familiar aspects of the first game all returned with added features and a larger setting. Devil May Cry 4 also introduced a new character without compromising gameplay.

My point is that game studios do this all the time without any problems. Mainly because they have the extra time to expand the game since they already have a functional gameplay mechanic from the first one.

KillerCroc
10th Dec 2009, 03:18
I can honestly tell you BatDood, if you do keep this up, it will go on for pages more, trust me, been there done that :), you just gotta respect each other's opinions and deal with them. Let alone comic opinions.

Drazar
10th Dec 2009, 06:21
Well, when you put it that way, it doesn't matter what we say here as far as what we'd like (or not like) to see then. They're the ones that make the decisions so anything said here is rather fruitless.

Feedback is always considered, but its they who get the ultimate choice. It's they who debated whenever to add Batmobile to BAA or not. Same will happen with the other aspects.

If you look at Gears of War vs. Gears of War 2, the familiar aspects of the first game all returned with added features and a larger setting. Devil May Cry 4 also introduced a new character without compromising gameplay.

My point is that game studios do this all the time without any problems. Mainly because they have the extra time to expand the game since they already have a functional gameplay mechanic from the first one.

Not to mention there is a bigger budget, and i'd love to see Batman take a MGS alike cinematic+story telling with a bigger cast of characters.

BatDood
10th Dec 2009, 10:22
I can honestly tell you BatDood, if you do keep this up, it will go on for pages more, trust me, been there done that :), you just gotta respect each other's opinions and deal with them. Let alone comic opinions.
That's why I'm out of this one from here on. I've pretty much stated my opinion on the subject so there's no sense in beating a dead horse. There are people that want bat-family and people who don't.

Nibiru
10th Dec 2009, 15:09
As for me, the first thing that attracted me in this game was an atmosphere, mystery of Batman's world. I think that Batman is the only hero in Gotham, the others are only poor imitations of the Dark Knight. At first he was alone facing mad world of villains and crime. It was his duty that he became brave enough to fight against the dark side of Gotham. Bat-family destroys the loneliness of Batman, his deep worries and fears. It's just my opinion. When I felt this thing in the game I was really happy. I played perhaps only to get the full impression of landscapes and characters. Fights, bosses were not important for me, they were excellent, but this kind of entertainment is not for me. Batman and his "Sin City" should be left alone. The game can be exciting without Bat-family, why don't they add Catwoman as the assistant of Batman? She can act in that kind, can't she? I don't want to loose the atmosphere of AA. So it's only my view.

Drazar
10th Dec 2009, 19:49
At first he was alone facing mad world of villains and crime. It was his duty that he became brave enough to fight against the dark side of Gotham.

Bruce did indeed believe he was alone, until he faced Thomas "Hush" Elliot and realized he had a "family" longer than he ever realized. Even in this game Batman isn't alone. You have the Oracle and James Gordon with him in this game.

Batman and his "Sin City" should be left alone.

Sorry to disappoint but Paul Dini never writes Gotham as a hell-hole equilevant of Sin City. =/ That was only in TDKR pretty much and 90s extreme comics lol. :p

The game can be exciting without Bat-family, why don't they add Catwoman as the assistant of Batman? She can act in that kind, can't she? I don't want to loose the atmosphere of AA. So it's only my view.

Yeah it's your view and we all respect that. :) :thumbsup: Catwoman does belong to the batfamily support characters, but i don't see how her being in the game wouldn't ruin the atmosphere. It's my view that people just seem misinformed regarding Robin and Nightwing.

Nibiru
10th Dec 2009, 20:52
Well I didn't mean that Bruce felt himself alone, but it's me who likes to feel in a such way, so I wanted the game to be the same as it is now, only with adding some new villains and vehicles. I can't explain it, but when I read comics about Batman or watch movies I see him as a lone hero and I love it, this idea I mean. So I immediately fell in love with AA, because I felt there such things.
Talking about Oracle, for me she only was a kind of a reference book or computer, she didn't appear in mind at all. As for Gordon, for me, he displays ordinary people of Gotham that need a hero. So both Gordon and Oracle didn't destroy the feeling of loneliness and danger.
I take your point about "Sin City" and agree with you. I only wanted to say that Gotham is shown in AA as a dark place. Of course we only saw the asylum, but how greatly it makes the atmosphere! Batman Comics for me are a kind of philosophy, there in Gotham City a lone dark knight fights against various bad guys that to my mind shows how full of sins Gotham is. So I'd like to say that the impression of only one good guy that is able to fight and destroy the evil is Batman. Oracle and Gordon only support Batman and that's it. They can't do what he can. And I'd like to see the same story with another game.
And finally I'd like to add some things about Catwoman. She's not like Batman, there's something sinister in her personality, she can't be trusted, she assists Batman only when it is good for her. To my mind she is from "bad guys" team. She will make the atmosphere even darker, because you as Batman will understand that even your allies can betray. So I think only about noir) And think of Batman only as a gothic, dark comics. And I always wanted to see Batman without any assistants, except Catwoman that only proves that people of Gotham are full of sins...

door noob
10th Dec 2009, 21:04
Wayne Manor and the Batcave under it is the thing I want! :D:thumb:

Drazar
10th Dec 2009, 21:24
And finally I'd like to add some things about Catwoman. She's not like Batman, there's something sinister in her personality, she can't be trusted, she assists Batman only when it is good for her. To my mind she is from "bad guys" team. She will make the atmosphere even darker, because you as Batman will understand that even your allies can betray. So I think only about noir) And think of Batman only as a gothic, dark comics. And I always wanted to see Batman without any assistants, except Catwoman that only proves that people of Gotham are full of sins...

Well Catwoman has received much development thruouth the generations and judging from my own experience with Paul Dini's writing. We can easily have Catwoman help Bruce for 2 reasons:
A) She loves him
B) Help out animals

But yeah i mean this is what i want. Bigger supporting cast with interraction and feeling that Gotham truly is the place where "crime is art" and you got people in costumes fightning for crime or defending Gotham city. It just wouldn't make sense that Batman's the only person out there, he inspired Selena to become Catwoman and alot of people heroes and freaks alike. :thumb:

Hehe yeah theres alot of demand for those places too! ;) :)

Rareless09
10th Dec 2009, 22:36
I only wanted to say that Gotham is shown in AA as a dark place. Of course we only saw the asylum, but how greatly it makes the atmosphere! Batman Comics for me are a kind of philosophy, there in Gotham City a lone dark knight fights against various bad guys that to my mind shows how full of sins Gotham is.

Remember though that Arkham Asylum is supposed to be one of the darkest most evil places in Gotham. When Batman enters the city, he leaves that level of madness behind and enters a place that has some legitimately good people.

Its for those good people's sake that Batman takes up his mantle. That's the other side of the philosophy on Gotham. Batman decides to fight against the corruption on behalf of those who can't fight it. Even in Batman Begins Bruce says there is good people in Gotham.

For this reason I don't think the sequel, if it takes place in Gotham, will be as dark as AA. There are dangerous places, but nothing where you have lunatics jumping on your back out of vents. Also remember part of AA's tension is built on the confined boundaries of the game. Some of that tension is lost when you travel the city.

Still I don't think that will take anything away from the game as long as the threat to the city is formidable enough for Batman.

Nibiru
11th Dec 2009, 15:19
I know that Arkham is one of the darkest places of Gotham, but the city itself can look like a "big mad house", it's my opinion about Gotham. Gothic style in architecture and some pieces of dark art, dirty Max Payne-like streets and so on can make Gotham dark and mysterious. For example in Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe some wonderful buildings of Gotham can be seen. Why don't the creators use such kinds of buildings in the sequel? Gotham at night is truly marvelous and dark at the same time. I think it can be created even as evil as Arkham. Of course there will be no lunatics, but what about crazy servitors of Mad Hatter somewhere in the park looks like Wonderland? Isn't it mad? Then the sewer system can be made dark too, there can be numerous rats or perhaps some corpses of unknown victims of Gotham mafia... Details will make the atmosphere, not only the view of madness like it is, it can be disguised, to my mind it's one of the ideas of Batman.
Maybe Catwoman has changed a lot, but for me she'll always be a villain, because the cat as an animal can't be trusted, so the character made according the image of a cat will be the same. Having changed she probably lost the mysterious and sinister soul of the cat that sits in her mind. Robin and Nightwing to my mind are not so interesting and are not worth adding to AA-2. But as I've said, it's only my point of view.

DarkKnightDanny
11th Dec 2009, 15:51
i agree with the above poster on the gotham setting.
If AA's asylum was a living breathing beast just imagine what rocksteady could do for the whole of Gotham!
Bioshock was noted for its character like setting of rapture, that place WAS a character and the same for AA in my opinion.rocksteady would win major applause for creating a game world that by passed liberty city.with rocksteadys talent,it could be done. imagine a gotham city that pulled you in just like the asylum did!.
i posted this months ago but il say it again:)
even if this open world gotham was to be made, it wouldnt have to be big,infact,could be the same size as the asylum and its grounds. that would give it the "metroid" like feeling of AA.
I'd love to see the bat family.but nobody playable.

The Jedi Guardian
11th Dec 2009, 16:41
Why is the game being (by original op and other posters) called Batman: Arkahm Asylum 2, there is this ( : ) so you can put Gotham City behind it.

With Gotham City, I kind of wish that they could pile in GOOD (hopefully better boss battles) bosses and villains because it won't be limited to Joker's Party List.

I had an idea that the game will have a main story probably with Two-Face and other crime lords. And maybe include Ra's Al Ghul's League of Assasins since they were in Gotham and now that Ra's is gone

Well, the game could have other storylines like knightfall, the black glove and rip, The Dark Knight Returns, Hush, etc. Base some extra missions off of a few of the graphic novels out there, and maybe a few BTAS episodes.

There will be costumes unlocked and with Robin and Nightwing I would prefer if they were AI and appear only when they need to. The only way I can see us playing them if Batman sends them on a mission while he does something else (business trip, Bruce related, or Batman Related- League of Assasins)

Villains, a lot of them should appear because of the different storylines.

A possible idea that arkahm inmates (just joker, clayface, harley, ivy, scarecrow, croc) escape and take certain areas of Gotham. Ivy could be in the park. Joker at an abandoned theme park or carnival, etc.

Well those are my ideas. Controlling the batwing should be a yes, I'd rather have control the batcycle than the batmobile, (more manuverable), unless they could find a way for the batmobile to work.

Rareless09
11th Dec 2009, 23:00
What I think would work best for the sequel would be a storyline based on The Long Halloween or at least similar in structure. I remember reading that comic and thinking that would make a great game.

BatDood
12th Dec 2009, 02:03
What I think would work best for the sequel would be a storyline based on The Long Halloween or at least similar in structure. I remember reading that comic and thinking that would make a great game.

Cool idea! :thumb:

GR1NG0_SU4V3
13th Dec 2009, 03:32
I pray, PRAY for a No Man's Land tie in/story/inspiration, but I doubt I'll get it :p

thebatman226
13th Dec 2009, 03:36

Why does everyone want Wayne manor in the sequel so badly? :S

GR1NG0_SU4V3
13th Dec 2009, 03:44
Why does everyone want Wayne manor in the sequel so badly? :S

cause it's an important part of Batman lore?

thebatman226
13th Dec 2009, 03:47
cause it's an important part of Batman lore?

But what purpose would it serve the game?

GR1NG0_SU4V3
13th Dec 2009, 04:08
But what purpose would it serve the game?

That's up to the developers and Paul Dini (confirmed btw to write the new game) to decide.

Billyman
13th Dec 2009, 06:27
I would like to see Robin as a non-playable ally. He could show up as a supporting character, not throughout the whole game tho.

13th Dec 2009, 06:53
Ok guys, now that we know that we are getting a sequal what do you think is going to change?

Old_BenKenobi
13th Dec 2009, 06:54
I can't even begin to imagine.

Pogo
13th Dec 2009, 11:59
Can we maybe have some boss fights without dealing with hired goons?
For a start, Two-Face shouldn't have a gang. NO ONE would work with a former DA.

Drazar
13th Dec 2009, 12:09
Can we maybe have some boss fights without dealing with hired goons?
For a start, Two-Face shouldn't have a gang. NO ONE would work with a former DA.

In the comics theres 2 different henchmen that work for Two-Face depending on the stories.

1) downright criminals.
2) Corrupt cops who are interested in Two-Face being the main mobster of Gotham, since Harvey is a complex character. He is kinda like this anti-hero that still wants the best for Gotham, but unlike Batman he's very willing to kill for it.

Ofcourse it totally depends on this game's setting very much, thats just one of those: wait and see moments.:)

Pogo
13th Dec 2009, 14:30
I just don't see him as a mob boss. Rather a twisted, bitter vigilante with an obsession with fate.
I don't want a mob-boss Two-Face. That version never worked at all. We have enough mob bosses, Dent should be a lone wolf on the wrong side of both criminals and police.
Like Batman if he gave in to his worst, most brutal instincts.

Drazar
13th Dec 2009, 14:30
Yeah that can definatly work too, great suggestion. :thumb:

E.Nygma
13th Dec 2009, 16:29
Aaaw, but I like Two-Face as a mob boss. It does suit his personality very well. No one's a better mob boss than someone who worked against them all his life?

Pogo
13th Dec 2009, 16:37
I just hate it. He's a moralist, even as DA he was a zealot. He had his own code and looked down his nose at those who lived a different life.
Batman is a moralist too, but he can forgive people for their weaknesses. Dent cannot, he wants to bring everyone to his level of perfection and understanding.
He's not a man who wallows in corruption, like Penguin or Black Mask, he wants to do the right thing but is so brutal that he only causes more chaos.
Not a mob boss, he loathes the mob.

E.Nygma
13th Dec 2009, 16:59
I just hate it. He's a moralist, even as DA he was a zealot. He had his own code and looked down his nose at those who lived a different life.
Batman is a moralist too, but he can forgive people for their weaknesses. Dent cannot, he wants to bring everyone to his level of perfection and understanding.
He's not a man who wallows in corruption, like Penguin or Black Mask, he wants to do the right thing but is so brutal that he only causes more chaos.
Not a mob boss, he loathes the mob.

If you speak of Harvey Dent, I agree.

But what if we are speaking of "Big, Bad Harv"? I always saw it as if his other personality represented the opposite of what Harvey Dent originally stood for. So Harvey's repressed feeling and anger are turned into an indepentent persona which takes him over. Harvey doesn't think he is doing good when he is Two-Face; he knows he is doing evil. But, he simply does not see it as really his fault. That is why he has the coin.

Rareless09
13th Dec 2009, 17:05
I pray, PRAY for a No Man's Land tie in/story/inspiration, but I doubt I'll get it :p

Seriously? This is like the closest scenario to No Man's Land. Gotham looks like its in a state of emergency and the criminals are wrecking havoc.

Pogo
13th Dec 2009, 17:09
I disagree. What about when he killed Carmine Falcone?
Here's a quote which perfectly captures his mentality:

"Again. And again. The courts will send them back to prison or Arkham. They will escape. And we have the same problem. Again. And again."

You see, he justifies murder based on his own willingness to see justice done.
Here's another quote for you. From Robin: Year One...

"You see, Harvey Dent was one of the good guys. Being good in this town means you need guts. You gotta' be tough. You gotta' do things that aren't in the lawbooks. The bat didn't have the stomach for it. He punked out on Harvey. The great outlaw protector of Gotham hid behind Lady Justice's skirts. But she's blind for a reason, brat. 'Cause she doesn't see what needs to be done in her name. I wanted you to understand that. Before it's all over, I wanted you to know. It wasn't me that killed you. It was the bat."

No part of him should be a mob boss. No part whatsoever.

E.Nygma
13th Dec 2009, 17:12
I disagree. What about when he killed Carmine Falcone?
Here's a quote which perfectly captures his mentality:

"Again. And again. The courts will send them back to prison or Arkham. They will escape. And we have the same problem. Again. And again."

You see, he justifies murder based on his own willingness to see justice done.
Here's another quote for you. From Robin: Year One...

"You see, Harvey Dent was one of the good guys. Being good in this town means you need guts. You gotta' be tough. You gotta' do things that aren't in the lawbooks. The bat didn't have the stomach for it. He punked out on Harvey. The great outlaw protector of Gotham hid behind Lady Justice's skirts. But she's blind for a reason, brat. 'Cause she doesn't see what needs to be done in her name. I wanted you to understand that. Before it's all over, I wanted you to know. It wasn't me that killed you. It was the bat."

No part of him should be a mob boss. No part whatsoever.

This is more PRE-Two-Face Dent. POST-Two-Face Dent has given up. This is the tragedy about him: that he has given up. That he no longer believe in Justice. Now, he believes in Fate.

Pogo
13th Dec 2009, 17:18
He was Two-Face when he said those things, though.
And whilst he believes in fate that's not enough for him to become a common criminal. He hates them. I mean, didn't you ever wonder why he despises Joker so much? Because Joker is exactly the kind of cretin he used to be putting away. And now people class him in that same category.
I see the tragedy as being a man seeking justice but being corrupted by his methods. Harvey took the easy way out, he went from a good man trying to work within the system to a bad man ignoring it completely.
That's how I view it, at least ;)

Nightwing
13th Dec 2009, 17:59
I must confess, I'm looking forward to Two-Face, esp if the writing is as good this time as last time. Two-Face has always provided some complex stuff albeit overusing the whole "2-part-plan" but I can forgive that. And I would forgive it again in the game if they chose to use it. Never really been a massive fan of the lone wolf Harvey, but I do love the whole twisted thinking in relation to justice. Makes me think this may be a tough one for the guys to do in order to satisfy everyone. I'll think some more about it.

The mobster ideas which I've been reading about from people does put me in mind of the sort of interpretation Jeph Loeb had of the Batman world. I've always liked that interpretation along with his writing, so I'd love to see where that goes.

I kind of agree with the views of the Robin-haters, but only in one respect. Don't overcrowd the game with too many major characters. Keeping Robin out of the game altogether isn't called for though. I like Batman on his own, I like Batman with Robin, I can even put up with the likes of Huntress showing up if the storyline is good enough. It'll be a matter of finding the right voice actor for Robin if they do decide to include him.

If it was open world then co-op would work nicely. See Crackdown for a template of how you can get co-op play to improve the overall experience 20 times over. Yeah, I'm running out of steam now.... there's plenty more to discuss obv, but I can guess at least one person will disagree with something I've put so far. So I'll leave it here for now.

batfan08
13th Dec 2009, 18:06
No Schumacher Tiger stripes for Dent!
[gets into a fetal position,bawling in a corner]

E.Nygma
13th Dec 2009, 18:23
He was Two-Face when he said those things, though.
And whilst he believes in fate that's not enough for him to become a common criminal. He hates them. I mean, didn't you ever wonder why he despises Joker so much? Because Joker is exactly the kind of cretin he used to be putting away. And now people class him in that same category.
I see the tragedy as being a man seeking justice but being corrupted by his methods. Harvey took the easy way out, he went from a good man trying to work within the system to a bad man ignoring it completely.
That's how I view it, at least ;)

You know, he still kills people, commits crimes, disregards the law. He may believe himself to be superior, but he really is a criminal just like the rest of them.

Pogo
13th Dec 2009, 18:28
Of course he is. But his criminal area is vigilantism. Not loan-sharking, extortion or other typical gang stuff.
Read Batman: Faces. Again, it's a case of him breaking the law but working towards the greater good (as he sees it). And no one in that story is working for him willingly. He simply threatens their families if they don't go along with him.
It's brilliant, he's intimidating them into helping him so he can "rescue" them all. Twisted or what?

E.Nygma
13th Dec 2009, 18:34
Of course he is. But his criminal area is vigilantism. Not loan-sharking, extortion or other typical gang stuff.
Read Batman: Faces. Again, it's a case of him breaking the law but working towards the greater good (as he sees it). And no one in that story is working for him willingly. He simply threatens their families if they don't go along with him.
It's brilliant, he's intimidating them into helping him so he can "rescue" them all. Twisted or what?

Giving me a suggestion of reading a certain comic to prove your point, is as useless as if I'd do the same. :P As you know, the Gotham characters change A LOT depending on the writer. You may have found a writer who presented Harvey Dent as you imagine him to be, and I myself found writers that support my own view of that character.

This also means that we may be both be right about how we view Harvey, of course. But isn't it just fun to dissert?

Harvey Dent does no longer work for the greater good, in my view. He has completely forsaken it when he became Two-Face. He is almost against his old self. His worst enemy is Harvey Dent: his former ideals, his former persona.

Pogo
13th Dec 2009, 18:38
How can they please both viewpoints with this game though? That's the question.
A great many people think like me, and a great many share your opinion. They can't please both parties, can they?

E.Nygma
13th Dec 2009, 18:42
How can they please both viewpoints with this game though? That's the question.
A great many people think like me, and a great many share your opinion. They can't please both parties, can they?

Indeed. I am already very curious to see how they will represent Harvey in this game! However, if the rumors that Paul Dini reprises his role as the writer are true, we may assume Two-Face will have mob boss qualities, as it was in BTAS? Not to mention that giving him such role will support useful gameplay elements (fighting all the henchmen of Two-Face to get to him).

Pogo
13th Dec 2009, 18:46
Man, I hate fighting the goons during a boss fight.
I'd love a role reversal. Where the henchmen turn against their boss and you have to save them from their old allies.
I mean, I think this game will be set in a warzone. With friendships being made and betrayed at every turn. So loyalty will be a very rare thing indeed.

E.Nygma
13th Dec 2009, 18:49
Man, I hate fighting the goons during a boss fight.
I'd love a role reversal. Where the henchmen turn against their boss and you have to save them from their old allies.
I mean, I think this game will be set in a warzone. With friendships being made and betrayed at every turn. So loyalty will be a very rare thing indeed.

Mind you, Pogo, this is Batman, not Metal Gear. ;)

But the idea of henchmen turning against their own boss, and Batman inevitably having to save him - this sounds like an interesting idea. Perhaps more fitting for the Penguin, I wonder?

Pogo
13th Dec 2009, 18:52
I think it should happen to the Hatter or Arnold Wesker. Both are far too insane to inspire any loyalty.
Penguin is different, he gives people what they want, he isn't excessively bloodthirsty or crazy. Just don't laugh at him and you'll get along fine with him.

bartekb8
13th Dec 2009, 19:59
Agree with Batdood. There's a lot of things to do with Batman. I wish the sequel will have more depth(and ways) for presenting the dark side of soul of Batman, and also of his foes.
Playable characters wouldn't be bad idea if we could play as evil ones between main Batman chapters. It would be good to storytelling and refreshing to gameplay, I think.

And no boy-wonders, please, I had never used to them......(-;

boowashere
13th Dec 2009, 22:00
ALL i want in B:AA 2, is a gotham setting (free roam or not), and two-face. As for multiplayer, the only way i could see it is taking turns on challenge maps. like for highest score or something. And i'm ok with robin, as long as he looks awesome.

Velderik
13th Dec 2009, 22:09
One of the major improvements I would like to see is more imaginative bossfights, because the ones in b:aa were unoriginal and boring.

More gadgets, combat moves, and an update to the stealth gameplay would be welcome.

Also I wouldn't mind if the Joker had a big part in this game again, but they should also use villains who we haven't seen in the previous b:aa, like the Penguin, Freeze, a more intellectual Bane, ....

And till now I doubt that car driving will be a large part in the game, when you look at the trailer you see that a part of Gotham is in quarantain. Roads have been blocked by rubble, thugs roam the streets, ..., so it's almost impossible to drive there.

boowashere
13th Dec 2009, 22:13
One of the major improvements I would like to see is more imaginative bossfights, because the ones in b:aa were unoriginal and boring.

More gadgets, combat moves, and an update to the stealth gameplay would be welcome.

Also I wouldn't mind if the Joker had a big part in this game again, but they should also use villains who we haven't seen in the previous b:aa, like the Penguin, Freeze, a more intellectual Bane, ....

And till now I doubt that car driving will be a large part in the game, when you look at the trailer you see that a part of Gotham is in quarantain. Roads have been blocked by rubble, thugs roam the streets, ..., so it's almost impossible to drive there.

ah, the boss fights. one of my only complaints of B:AA... really hopeful for more variety as far as boss fights go.

vicsage
13th Dec 2009, 22:53
Improvements necessary:

-Definitely more imaginative and varied boss fights

-More gadgets (smoke pellets, BOLAS-a batman trademark!)

-The ability to drive vehicles (at least one! I don't care if its the Batwing, Batboat, Batcopter, etc.)

-A longer story (or at least once the game's finished, have something more to do than challenge rooms)

-Storywise, the ability to replay any ONE portion of the game without having to start the whole thing over

-Less focus on Joker and crazies, more on gangs and vigilantes

LIGHTS
13th Dec 2009, 23:05
Possible limitations on gadget supply, and an alternate way of saving might be a nice addition.

xScarecrowX
13th Dec 2009, 23:31
The only thing I'm worried about is Rocksteady changing the formula TOO much. A little change here and there is a good thing though. After that though, I'm sure they will do an AMAZING job. Oh and another thing... No Bat-family, please. :)

warvibe24
14th Dec 2009, 02:03
I disagree with you in the "no co-op" idea i want co-op that would just be plan awesome if you can be batman and your friend can be robin( with out a gay costume)or nightwing but only in like certain maps like challenge maps but with missions nothing belonging to the story.

KillerCroc
14th Dec 2009, 02:11
I disagree with you in the "no co-op" idea i want co-op that would just be plan awesome if you can be batman and your friend can be robin( with out a gay costume)or nightwing but only in like certain maps like challenge maps but with missions nothing belonging to the story. It could work in the story, I honestly think this is a brilliant idea! THIS IS A FATHER AND SON BONDING EXTRAVAGANZA! Seriously, my son and I bonded through DC through DCU vs. MK and for surely not Batman: Arkham Asylum, why? Because we got to fight in the same room without passing the controller around. And quite frankly, whooping him in that game got rid of a lot of stress. Fighting together could be awesome, despite the fact I won't be able to fight him, sending him into a room with guns first would make me happy. We love Batman Arkham Asylum, and with two people playing co-op, this could be godly in the making.

_Love2Raid_
14th Dec 2009, 18:22
Please no Robin or Batgirl. Batman should work alone.

Oh, and even more gadgets and the bike from the movie please! :)

NoMoarDedCawpz
14th Dec 2009, 18:27
Do have more villains(boss battles and cameos)
Do have references to the first game(i think this ones a given)
Do show characters like Oracle and Alfred
Do make it longer

Don't leave out Killer Moth

qadsia123
14th Dec 2009, 18:47
My improvements:

- More varied and challenging boss fights

- The ability to put OFF the slow motion effect

- Stealth needs to be more interactive and fun like hiding bodies and using the dark as a hiding spot.

-Vehicles are a must to spice up the gameplay

- Some sort of lasting appeal to the game like online co-op or MP.

- More combos that actually take skill and nott just pressing square and X.

- The mafia intruduced into the game there interesting side criminals.

- Different type of gameplay like for example bruce wayne going to party to find sometihng out stealth would be vital here not being able to use your gadgets thats just an example look at MGS the part where your in the city following someone something like that.

qadsia123
14th Dec 2009, 18:49
Please no Robin or Batgirl. Batman should work alone.

Oh, and even more gadgets and the bike from the movie please! :)

TBH if I could choose one vehicle it would be the bike imagine a chase where its raining and batmans cape effect it would be insane!!

Tumbler
14th Dec 2009, 18:56
to be M rated so batman could be more terrifying, and brutal to make him more scary, I want interrogations, and enemies with shoes, I never liked the barefoot look.

DarkKnightDanny
14th Dec 2009, 19:11
and enemies with shoes, I never liked the barefoot look.

haha, never thought of that before, youre right. there's not a lot of villians with footwear in AA is there.

14th Dec 2009, 19:13
to be M rated so batman could be more terrifying, and brutal to make him more scary, I want interrogations, and enemies with shoes, I never liked the barefoot look.

I doubt it will be M but they can do a ton in a T rated game

Kai Rei
14th Dec 2009, 20:03
Here's a "don't"... Don't release the game in 2012...

NoMoarDedCawpz
14th Dec 2009, 20:04

...cause thats when the world ends :p

14th Dec 2009, 20:04

Yeah how bout 12-31-2011

kalle90
14th Dec 2009, 20:11
There should really be some sort of co-op. Even if it's just Batman&Robin in a few challenge maps.

Otherwise, those suggestions, meh. I believe Rocksteady knows what they can improve and what not. More Gotham, more gadgets and vehicles, more villains, more Batman. More open world would make detective work and stealth/gadgets a lot better and more personal game for every player.

15th Dec 2009, 17:42
If they have co-op i hope its not like spiderman web of shadows

door noob
15th Dec 2009, 17:44
They had co-op in WOS?

15th Dec 2009, 17:47
They had co-op in WOS?

Not really, i ment like how you push a button and which ever ally is in that area he would come and help you.

door noob
15th Dec 2009, 17:49
ok, lol :D

batdude
17th Dec 2009, 13:08
The ability to replay missions, and like the riddler challenge in the first game, instead of just getting an audio of him getting arrested, make it if you solve all of his riddles you unlock a short extra level. And what I loved about Batman AA was that it had heaps of easter eggs.

E.Nygma
17th Dec 2009, 13:25
The ability to replay missions, and like the riddler challenge in the first game, instead of just getting an audio of him getting arrested, make it if you solve all of his riddles you unlock a short extra level. And what I loved about Batman AA was that it had heaps of easter eggs.

Level select and/or cutscene theatre is a must!!
And definitely, the more clever easter eggs we see, the better. It wouldn't feel like the sequel of B AA without them.

That if you solve the Riddler's challenges, you get to actually see Eddie, is what I was hoping for the first game, so it would be just wonderful if they implement it now...

Nightwing
17th Dec 2009, 15:31
That if you solve the Riddler's challenges, you get to actually see Eddie, is what I was hoping for the first game, so it would be just wonderful if they implement it now...

That is something I had forgotten. If this is not rectified in the next game.... Rocksteady studios will need to up their security.... as I won't be so forgiving this time after finding all those riddles and being rewarded with the tiniest bit of sound, no cut scene and no satisfying conclusion for all that effort!!! (Can you tell it irritated me slightly)

I've been thinking about the co-op idea people have been having lately. One thing springs to mind, they'd need to alter the combat system if they were going to include Robin or Nightwing (or Huntress if you've decided the game is lacking T&A) because Batman fights in a different way, he has much more upper body strength and tends to fight in a much more direct way. While Robin generally evades and is much more agile and much weaker in terms of the physical force he brings to the fight. This style issue would be a lot of work, so it seems to me like they probably won't go about doing this. Which leaves two options, either no co-op mode... or co-op mode done badly whereby a small boy has all the power and strength of the fully developed model of male physical perfection.

Surely they wouldn't be so silly as to do the latter? :scratch:

Nemesis296
17th Dec 2009, 16:10
My improvements:

- Stealth needs to be more interactive and fun like hiding bodies and using the dark as a hiding spot.

-Vehicles are a must to spice up the gameplay

- Some sort of lasting appeal to the game like online co-op or MP.

- More combos that actually take skill and nott just pressing square and X.

- Different type of gameplay like for example bruce wayne going to party to find sometihng out stealth would be vital here not being able to use your gadgets thats just an example look at MGS the part where your in the city following someone something like that.

I pulled out the items I dislike to say a flat out *NO* to.

This is Batman, not Grand Theft Auto. Yes there should be a stealth aspect of it, but I have an issue when it comes to playing "super hero" characters without their superhero gear. Usually things like this would consist of "walk over here and listen to this cutscene". It's not going to be interactive like you would hope, as video games have to be linear and self-explanatory enough that people can understand what to do. Apparently this was a huge fail with getting Dr. Young's notes in the Mansion in Arkham Asylum, so I doubt that Rocksteady will do anything like that again.

This is Batman, not Metal Gear Solid. Batman does not kill, and fear is his greatest weapon. I sersiouly believe that the first game would have been terrible if not for the somewhat adaptive AI that reacted to finding their cohorts around the various predator rooms. As Sefton said, "You constantly have to adapt your tactics." If you could silently take people out and then *hide* the bodies, you would essentially be playing Splinter Cell...which is just not the same.

This is Batman, not Mortal Kombat. There was nothing wrong with the combat system, in fact some people found it *too* complex, so how will making it more complex help at all? You'll just draw the hardcore gamers in and push the casuals away, most of which are old-time Batman lovers. The last thing we need is a super awesome move that can only be done with pressing X,X,X, Triangle, Up-Left, R2. Thanks but no thanks. Unless it somehow has a boss fight like the end of MGS4 it wouldn't make much sense.

This is Batman, not Need for Speed / Grand Theft Auto (again). Especially for the fact that this game is not going to likely be a sandbox game, vehicles are just going to be an extra, and not a core component of the game. I hate to suggest the idea, but how would the Batwing work if it's not sandbox? Doesn't seem like it would. People would complain that they can't go up into space like in Burton's Batman movie, and go all over the city. I bet the vehicles (if any) will be limited and it probably would not be like the motorcycle in Tomb Raider: Underworld...but more like the boats in Uncharted.

And why oh why, is the only thing that seems to add "lasting appeal" to games these days something like co-op or multiplayer?! :mad2:

DravinClaw
18th Dec 2009, 08:47
Not to mention there is a bigger budget, and i'd love to see Batman take a MGS alike cinematic+story telling with a bigger cast of characters.

That would be awesome if they went that route and MP worked with that game just change up the game types to fit batman

Cops And Robers:TDM/DM
Battle For The Cowl: CTF except instead of a flag its Batman's cowl
Freeze Tag: TDM/DM except with Freeze guns
Heroes Vs Villains

And a big DON'T....If your gonna make a CE dont ruff up a batarang and(DO) add more stuff to it to make it worth shelling out $100