PDA

View Full Version : What's your take on "The entire game is delivered in YouTube style" ? ...

GrievousOdyssey
7th Dec 2009, 16:10
" But it's not just the pace of the action that's exciting: it's the way it's presented. The entire game is delivered in YouTube style "

What exactly do they mean by "youtube style" ? ...
Is this game a point and click adventure where you're searching for some violent footage on youtube or what ? ...

Funny thing is the first time i said that , i was joking ...
Anywya ...

Is it the graphic style perhaps ? with some grainy / static filters ? ...
Two games made by Rockstar actually had those kind of filters , but guess what , almost every game reviewers criticized it ...

And , honesty , what IS youtube ? ...
I mean , when you use youtube , what videos are you looking for ? ...
Game / movie trailers ? ...
Artistic Stuff ? ...
TV shows that someone recorded a decade ago ? ...
Political debates where people speak to their web cams ? ...
The less than thirty second videos took on a cellphone ? ...
Or ...
The montages of people doing stupid things ? ...

Kent-45
7th Dec 2009, 16:21
well we know that the camera will shake Gears of War-style when you run... I think there are going to be some camera effects associated with it.

I think the Youtube style is a reference to the "lack of a tripod" associated with movies... so I expect some of the cutscenes to be very intense like the movie Cloverfield. ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1060277/ )

I think the cutscenes will be less "cinematic" are more "realistic" ... grainy and gritty, etc

GrievousOdyssey
7th Dec 2009, 16:31
No tripod ...
Shaking camera ...
Intense Action ...

Well as long as we can see what the hell is going on , and not like that ridiculous camera work for the "Bourne Ultimatum" ...

Cloverfield wasn't that action packed either so i'm not sure about that , yet ...
(haven't seen District 9 so i can't comment on that) ...

I'm not sure that by being less cinematic it makes it more realistic ...
For me it's always the opposite ...
(the more 'realistic' it pretends to be , the faker it looks like to me) ...

Kent-45
8th Dec 2009, 03:54
I enjoyed Cloverfield... I didn't like District 9 though, but that's just me. It all depends on the subtly of it. If they overuse the shaky camera, it becomes noticeable and the effect loses it's value.

GrievousOdyssey
8th Dec 2009, 16:40
Cloverfield was a very enjoyable film indeed , but it wasn't really an 'action' film , i was just pointing that out ... and ...

Ok , where the hell is everybody ? ...

I find it a bit ironic that the 'Dead' Men board was even more crowded than here ...

Mercenary of The7
8th Dec 2009, 17:01
Don't really know. I sure do like my tripods. IOI is rather close to me, so I'll be ready to donate them some tripods whenever they need some.

Son of Nerlin
8th Dec 2009, 17:31
Think it is a good idea. Yes, very good. End of imput.

GrievousOdyssey
8th Dec 2009, 18:11
My tripod is a bit broken but man , for a blunt instrument ... it ain't so bad , wooooooiiie ! ...

Oups , wrong discussion ...
(luckily i haven't talked about 'opening' the tripod , hehehehe ...)

OMGmyFACE
10th Dec 2009, 00:51
It's probably gonna look and feel like the first Manhunt. Surveillance cameras, grainy look, candid feel. And, if so, I'm all for this!

Unpaid Intern
28th Dec 2009, 23:56
Apparently GamePro are going to do an article in which some IO guys will tell us (more?) about the whole YouTube look:

...the IO Interactive team discuss You Tube's influence on the artistic direction of Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days...

sauce:
http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/213276/a-new-look-for-gamepro/

GrievousOdyssey
29th Dec 2009, 01:03
Nah , i don't like sauce with mah food , but thanks anywya ...

dude63
30th Dec 2009, 08:06
Well it could be unique. It probablym ight have film grain over the screen. Also it seems when shot film errors lke pixelated squares pop up which is unique but could be weird how knows. Its a unique look and maybe and hopefully they can pull it off right. I have a feeling it might have a cinematic camera like the one in Manhunt 2 (had film grain as well). Also, I think most cutscenes will play out like either like the trailer or from a security camera.

One of Seven
30th Dec 2009, 15:14
After seeing the screenshots for the game though I have no worries about the style. However I do dislike District 9, Cloverfield, Blair Witch project, etc. I couldn't get by the first ten minutes of Cloverfield, already hated the characters.

GrievousOdyssey
30th Dec 2009, 15:20
After seeing the screenshots for the game though I have no worries about the style. However I do dislike District 9, Cloverfield, Blair Witch project, etc. I couldn't get by the first ten minutes of Cloverfield, already hated the characters.

Lol , you know you weren't suppose to like the character in the first place ? ...
(except the camera man) ...

Well it could be unique. It probablym ight have film grain over the screen. Also it seems when shot film errors lke pixelated squares pop up which is unique but could be weird how knows. Its a unique look and maybe and hopefully they can pull it off right. I have a feeling it might have a cinematic camera like the one in Manhunt 2 (had film grain as well). Also, I think most cutscenes will play out like either like the trailer or from a security camera.

Precisely , Manhunt 2 , and how was the public's reception on its grainy filter ? Bad ...

One of Seven
30th Dec 2009, 15:22
Lol , you know you weren't suppose to like the character in the first place ? ...
(except the camera man) ...

Precisely , Manhunt 2 , and what was the public's reception on its grainy filter ? Bad ...

Hahaha, well then **** that anyway. I'm not sitting for over an hour and a half waiting for dumbass kids to die by some monster that they reveal at the end.

GrievousOdyssey
30th Dec 2009, 15:26
Go find a five second version of Cloverfield on youtube then ...

One of Seven
30th Dec 2009, 15:27
You know what, I'm going to go do that right now.

GrievousOdyssey
30th Dec 2009, 15:29
I hoped you would do that ...

One of Seven
30th Dec 2009, 15:31
Just did, my verdict still stands. At least now I think I know enough to discuss the film............

GrievousOdyssey
30th Dec 2009, 15:35
This seems to be the topic of the week :
Criticizing games / movies that you haven't played / watched from beginning to end ...

Hosted by yours truly , Grievous (no pun intended) ...

dude63
31st Dec 2009, 04:44
Who cares what reviewers think. For a Manhunt fan like me I found it to be unique. You seem to confuse the filter im talking of. Im not talking of the kill move filter. (which fit with the game arc imo) Im talking of the filter and cinematic tp camera. Which the grain filter (fuzziness over screen while playing NOT in kill cam mode) you could turn off.

GrievousOdyssey
31st Dec 2009, 15:25
No i'm not mistaken , we're both talking the in-game grainy filter , the same type used for The Lost and Damned i believe , and critics didn't liked it ...
True , who cares what the critics think ...

Maybe the whole mob who hates Kane & Lynch ...

PS : in which version of Manhunt 2 could you turn off the filter ? ... PC ? ...

UhUh
31st Dec 2009, 16:40
The grainy filter is already present in K&L: camera movement, zoom in/out, bullet impact and camera malfunction are things that should be in DogDays(at least if the reports are true); I believe that there will be a lot of people who won't like it, but considering the attention put into it, I expect good things and it'll probably be something more then just eyecandy.

Mercenary of The7
31st Dec 2009, 18:49
No i'm not mistaken , we're both talking the in-game grainy filter , the same type used for The Lost and Damned i believe , and critics didn't liked it ...
True , who cares what the critics think ...

Maybe the whole mob who hates Kane & Lynch ...

PS : in which version of Manhunt 2 could you turn off the filter ? ... PC ? ...

Belive me, the grainy filter in the Lost & Damned really sucked.

Bawabus
31st Dec 2009, 22:39
Grainy filters are fine as long as they're used purposefully. Silent Hill 2 puts it to good use practically and aesthetically speaking. Red Dead Revolver's film grain was more about style, but also cool in its own way.

They're going for a 'raw' feel with K&L2 so maybe we'll get another good example of the use of a grainy filter. I just hope they don't muck up and clutter the game with overly distracting contrivances.

GrievousOdyssey
1st Jan 2010, 00:37
Belive me, the grainy filter in the Lost & Damned really sucked.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ...
*jumps thyself into Mars , and the whole galaxy explodes* ....

Jacksolsmith
1st Jan 2010, 00:45
Actually the youtube style of the game goes alot further than a grainy filter, it has compression on the video, blue artifacting when you're in a dark area. Plus, IOI have changed the lighting of the game to be realistically low level and dark, also the camera now is handheld as if a guy running just behind Kane or Lynch with a camcorder whilst on a sugar rush.
I can't wait to see it in action... Hate waiting :mad2:

BeardedHoplite
1st Jan 2010, 00:47
I actually really skeptical on the whole idea, need to see it in action

GrievousOdyssey
1st Jan 2010, 00:49
Waiting is all the fans is asked to do really , we should be grateful that people are sacrificing their lives for our artistic pleasures ...

. . .

What am i talking about , just give us the game already ! ...