PDA

View Full Version : SENTINEL Kidnap/Abduct Feedback

k8Faust
2nd Mar 2014, 18:49
Abduct/Kidnap, hereby referred to as Snatch:

Cancelling the ability before it activates puts it in to a full cooldown. This is somewhat inconvenient, as 15 seconds is a long time to wait to re-engage after a cancelled snatch. It would be great if it were anything less... like 5 seconds.

The "hop" in the Sentinel's snatch animation is purely situational, and isn't cohesive with all instances where it would be used. The animation assumes that the Sentinel is diving, and looks great in this case, but when done while the Sentinel is flying close to the ground, it is simply awkward and inconvenient. I'd like to see the pre-snatch "hop" removed for the sake of accuracy.

The Tyrant's charge and leap abilities both force him to come to a stop. The Reaver's pounce causes him to crouch down and move slowly. The Sentinel, however, maintains all speed, and simply doesn't match up with the other two classes. This inconsistency is odd, considering that the Sentinel is now required to charge his ability before it activates. Perhaps his flight speed should be slowed for the duration of the charge, where he positions himself upright in preparation for the snatch, but still continues forward. Then, once the ability is activated, he dips his head down and gains a burst of speed. This makes it unwise to use the ability in close quarters, but no more so than a normal charged attack. You could also slow the Sentinel down over time after he grabs a victim, then give him a burst of speed after he drops his victim. Essentially:

Charging (-40% of normal flight speed), Active (+20% of normal flight speed), Snatched (gradual -20%), Released (+20%, gradual return to normal)

The cooldown for snatch starts once it activates, but both snatch abilities last ~5 seconds, so the time between the end of one snatch and beginning of another snatch is ~10 seconds. I've often been able to snatch a person, use both of my other abilities, and then be immediately ready to snatch another victim by the time I get back in the air. I suggest delaying the cooldown until the Sentinel drops the victim--so, if the Sentinel misses, 15 second cooldown, and if the snatch is successful, 15 second cooldown. Alternatively, add 5 seconds to the cooldown. The difference is a 20 second penalty for a missed snatch, which can be disheartening.

cmstache
2nd Mar 2014, 18:56
The entire purpose of the sentinel is mobility. The reason he doesn't slow down is because if you do it against a good team you'll be shot down out of the sky (if not dead) before the ability even activates.

k8Faust
2nd Mar 2014, 19:06
The entire purpose of the sentinel is mobility. The reason he doesn't slow down is because if you do it against a good team you'll be shot down out of the sky (if not dead) before the ability even activates.

Right, and you still get mobility, just slightly less for a small window of time. My point is that the Sentinel can currently be extremely active in a fight, and also extremely evasive, and has very few periods where he is extremely vulnerable. A good team will smack down a Sentinel regardless, and a good Scout can drop him out of the sky before he can even close in.

Hugbringer
3rd Mar 2014, 02:16
The thing that really gets me is the 'leveling' off effect of the charge up. I mostly miss the pure control I had over my Sentinel at all times. The ability to free-fall and activate flight and snatch at the same time I agree was too good. Made it next to impossible to avoid, though I might say that the Reaver 'Leap' thingy is almost next to impossible to avoid as well, the one that is instant fire. That aside....

I'm okay with having to commit to an dive assault, but the loss of control is what bugs me. It makes timing harder my effectiveness before was mostly just timing my movements with the diving and cooldowns. Now thats harder as the power itself removes part of ability to move and leaves me vulnerable longer. 1.5 seconds is upwards of 600+ damage, not to mention snap fire when I get the grab and than the fire I take on the assent. Sure it might just be I need more practice, but most of the time that extra animation leaves me super vulnerable as I absolutely have to commit too it, I can't just charge and release when it suits me best like reavers can.

cmstache
3rd Mar 2014, 02:23
Right, and you still get mobility, just slightly less for a small window of time. My point is that the Sentinel can currently be extremely active in a fight, and also extremely evasive, and has very few periods where he is extremely vulnerable. A good team will smack down a Sentinel regardless, and a good Scout can drop him out of the sky before he can even close in.

Thats because the sentinel doesn't have any defensive skills to prevent or otherwise tank damage. Speed is it's defense. By adding the feature you'll be destroying the entire point of using the speed as well as the learning and skill it takes to properly gain it while using skills and not getting too high above cover.

k8Faust
3rd Mar 2014, 15:48
Thats because the sentinel doesn't have any defensive skills to prevent or otherwise tank damage. Speed is it's defense. By adding the feature you'll be destroying the entire point of using the speed as well as the learning and skill it takes to properly gain it while using skills and not getting too high above cover.

He still has speed though, he'd just temporarily lose some right before he strikes, gain some when he goes for the strike, lose some as he is carrying off his target, but then gain some after he drops his target. His flight movement becomes less predictable as he gains and loses speed. He becomes vulnerable before he strikes and after he strikes, but are harder to hit when he strikes and after he releases.

Hell, I dare to say this takes more advantage of his speed, as it applies to the flight speed regardless of whether or not he is diving, which is the only time where he normally gains speed. This way, his flight speed and pattern are fixed but harder to predict in all situations. When dodging incoming fire, erratic movement is always your best defensive tactic, which is why the Sentinel can abruptly strafe left and right. You see him slowing down before a strike as simply making him an easier target, I see it as disrupting a predictable pattern; if I spot an incoming Sentinel, my aim is to place my shot where he'll be moving, to lead him. In fact, with this, he'd be able to use cover to launch his attack, eliminating his pre-attack vulnerability.

TL;DR Speed, regardless of how fast, is predictable and therefore vulnerable. Sudden changes in speed--and trajectory--is unpredictable, which makes a target that much harder to hit. These changes would be in favor of the Sentinels defensive strategy.

Case in point, yesterday I was chased off a roof-top by a Sentinel. I dropped down and saw he was coming down after me, so I lined up my throwing knives to where he'd land, but he delayed his drop by launching in to flight, which caused me to miss completely. His erratic movement gave him victory over me.

Edit: It occurs to me now that increasing the speed of approach--after the ability activates--allows the window in which one can snatch a target to be decreased without negatively impacting the ability's range. Reaching the target faster also means a lower likelihood of missing and thus no real need for a second chance during a single attempt. Since a failed snatch means no speed penalty, but potentially a speed boost, one could definitely survive and escape, then wait out the cooldown and try again. Furthermore, the increased speed means a failed attempt can still quickly put you in a prime location to continue the assault via other abilities rather than simply retreating, so hitting the ground and grounding oneself could be used intentionally.