PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else got this impression that the 'squad' function isn't in Dog Days ? ...

GrievousOdyssey
3rd Dec 2009, 20:49
A year ago , in some god forsaken forum of Kane & Lynch ... there was this guy , who claims to know a guy , who 'tested' a bit of Kane & Lynch 2 , and said that the squad gameplay from Freedom Fighters and Dead Men was removed ...

Of course , since he had no real 'proof' , none of the forum users would fully believe him ...

Well now that Dog Days is officially announced , and now that we've seen a 'artwork' of the game ...
Does this look like a game that you can order people around to you ? ...
Dog Days seems to be more of a 'personnal' experience with Lynch and Kane than another Five Men Rag Tag storyline ...

Plus , almost every single one of you seems to be outraged that Lynch will be ordering Kane around ...
Well now i ask you , does this game look like it'll even include squad team actions , or are we going to expect new uses for those three buttons ? ...

(judging from All the information we know so far ... which is ironically , not much) ...

Bevacur
3rd Dec 2009, 20:57
A year ago , in some god forsaken forum of Kane & Lynch ... there was this guy , who claims to know a guy , who 'tested' a bit of Kane & Lynch 2 , and said that the squad gameplay from Freedom Fighters and Dead Men was removed ...

Of course , since he had no real 'proof' , none of the forum users would fully believe him ...

Well now that Dog Days is officially announced , and now that we've seen a 'artwork' of the game ...
Does this look like a game that you can order people around to you ? ...
Dog Days seems to be more of a 'personnal' experience with Lynch and Kane than another Five Men Rag Tag storyline ...

Plus , almost every single one of you seems to be outraged that Lynch will be ordering Kane around ...
Well now i ask you , does this game look like it'll even include squad team actions , or are we going to expect new uses for those three buttons ? ...

(judging from All the information we know so far ... which is ironically , not much) ...

I personally believe that Kane will still be doing the ordering around but we are now doing Lynch's side, as in the magazine cover you can clearly see Kane is on the phone maybe doing the arrangements or something.

I think we will meet some new people and create another gang i am im sure we can order them around as it was in Dead Men and was a key gameplay.

GrievousOdyssey
3rd Dec 2009, 21:05
"Key gameplay" ... yeah ...
It sure was in Freedom Fighters , but Dead Men ? ...

Unpaid Intern
3rd Dec 2009, 21:06
[FONT="Courier New"]A year ago , in some god forsaken forum of Kane & Lynch ... there was this guy , who claims to know a guy , who 'tested' a bit of Kane & Lynch 2 , and said that the squad gameplay from Freedom Fighters and Dead Men was removed ...

I'm as curious as anyone but I hate these snitches. The devs trust them (or their friends) to be professional and honor the non-disclosure agreement but they just can't help selling out for 5 minutes of internet fame :thud:

...and at the end of the day, the fans aren't any wiser since most rumors are BS. :(

If the squad commands are indeed gone, I find it a bit of a shame because I enjoyed feeling all 'tactical' ordering guys around in KL : DM and Freedom Fighters. Of course, there are ways of making a great game without squad commands right?

DrDoom
3rd Dec 2009, 21:09
Truthfully I hope it's not in it. Most of the times my orders didn't work and they just walked right in front of a firing squad, in which case I'd have to go save them and die as a result.

GrievousOdyssey
3rd Dec 2009, 21:30
Truthfully I hope it's not in it. Most of the times my orders didn't work and they just walked right in front of a firing squad, in which case I'd have to go save them and die as a result.

Coincidentally , this was the reason that guy gave as to why the squads are removed ...

Of course, there are ways of making a great game without squad commands right?

Of course , of course ...

But this does raises the question ...
How much of a sequel Dog Days is to Dead Men ? ...
If the squad element is indeed a "Key gameplay" to Dead Men , what will Dog Days be without it ? ...

Suppose that Hitman V removes the option to take other people's clothes , it'll still be part of the Hitman franchise , but will it still be considered as a 'sequel' ? ...

(not a very good example , i know) ...

Bevacur
3rd Dec 2009, 21:49
"Key gameplay" ... yeah ...
It sure was in Freedom Fighters , but Dead Men ? ...

Good point i never used it at all but io did promote the use of it.

GrievousOdyssey
3rd Dec 2009, 21:58
Then again what gameplay functions they can use to replace the three buttons ? ...

Playing as Lynch ...
- Take pills ...
- Clean the bloodied blunt instruments ...
- Scratch head ...

Playing as Kane ...
- Use phone ...
- Use phone's keypad ...
- Use phone to film videos and put it on youtube ...

Yeah ... maybe keeping the follow , attack and defend buttons will save the trouble ...

Unpaid Intern
3rd Dec 2009, 22:11
But this does raises the question ... How much of a sequel Dog Days is to Dead Men ? ...
If the squad element is indeed a "Key gameplay" to Dead Men , what will Dog Days be without it ? ...

Suppose that Hitman V removes the option to take other people's clothes , it'll still be part of the Hitman franchise , but will it still be considered as a 'sequel' ? ...

Good question and a hard one to answer. How much of a franchise can you alter before the game loses its identity and the hardcore fans are alienated? Some franchises fizzle out because the developers are too conservative in answering this question. People want the spirit of the game to remain the same but they eventually need to feel genuinely surprised with each new installment. I know I do.

Anyway, like I said, I really like this mechanic (whether it's effective or not :)) but I can definitely imagine myself digging the new game if it offers another form of solid shooter gameplay.

Even if I had the full list of features in front of me, I wouldn't be able to say whether it will all mesh together into something special. We just have to wait and see how the chips fall I guess ..yeah: more waiting :(

Kent-45
4th Dec 2009, 02:06
I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that Kane & Lynch has "lost its identity" because it never really had an identity to begin with.

The trademark of Kane & Lynch is... well... Kane & Lynch... I fully consider this next game to be a sequel, and I don't really care if it's in a different setting or whatever. If it's got Kane & Lynch then it's Kane & Lynch.

UhUh
4th Dec 2009, 08:41
Then again what gameplay functions they can use to replace the three buttons ? ...

Playing as Lynch ...
- Take pills ...
- Clean the bloodied blunt instruments ...
- Scratch head ...

Playing as Kane ...
- Use phone ...
- Use phone's keypad ...
- Use phone to film videos and put it on youtube ...

Yeah ... maybe keeping the follow , attack and defend buttons will save the trouble ...

Maybe this time they have the cover button, three of them, just to be sure.

Kent-45
4th Dec 2009, 15:05
Maybe this time they have the cover button, three of them, just to be sure.

People from the get-go were always saying that the cover system in Kane & Lynch was so terrible and whatnot... but I never had a problem with it at all. I guess I always approached a wall so that I stuck up against it instantly.

I'm eager to see what they do with the cover system though. Any improvement is a good improvement as far as I'm concerned.

Son of Nerlin
4th Dec 2009, 17:07
Well from the Magazine with Kane and Lynch first Details, it says that they have gotten rid of the Squad for more quick gun battles based on killing and running in a crime-world rather than mixing Crime and Squad based stragey together.

GrievousOdyssey
4th Dec 2009, 17:16
Really ? ...

Well in that case it means that the 'testers' spoke the Truth ! ...

PS : Kent ... they might be called Kane and Lynch , they might look like Kane and Lynch ... but what guarantee can you give me that they are the Kane and Lynch we knew and loved ? ...

Kent-45
4th Dec 2009, 18:35
Well from the Magazine with Kane and Lynch first Details, it says that they have gotten rid of the Squad for more quick gun battles based on killing and running in a crime-world rather than mixing Crime and Squad based stragey together.

Some people's knee-jerk reaction to this would be "OMG no squad tactics!?!" ... but let's all be honest. The squad tactics in Kane & Lynch consisted of two commands:

"GET OVER HERE!"

and "TAKE EM DOWN!"

I'm glad that they are focusing more on the "Buddy movie" aspect and less on the squad tactics that sucked to begin with and didn't really add anything to gameplay.

Son of Nerlin
4th Dec 2009, 19:25
Yeah, I agree. I mean this one sounds like it is going to be more one-directional and really focused thus a better game. It seems really dark like pulp fiction or heat, etc and I am looking forward to it.

GrievousOdyssey
4th Dec 2009, 19:57
Yeah ... well ... we'll see ...

(turns out its a role playing game lmao) ...

Unpaid Intern
4th Dec 2009, 21:48
Well in that case it means that the 'testers' spoke the Truth ! ...

Well that tester is still a dirty little snitch. The squad command thing is insignificant but a guy like that would probably not hesitate to leak real spoilers as well. I would be more than a little annoyed if some key plot twist exposed to me months ahead of time...

GrievousOdyssey
5th Dec 2009, 09:01
Which is why i plan to jump off this forum five weeks before the game is released ...

You never know what spoilers will be thrown at us in that period of time (if the trailers and previews haven't done it already) ...

dark_angel_7
5th Dec 2009, 10:48
I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that Kane & Lynch has "lost its identity" because it never really had an identity to begin with.

The trademark of Kane & Lynch is... well... Kane & Lynch... I fully consider this next game to be a sequel, and I don't really care if it's in a different setting or whatever. If it's got Kane & Lynch then it's Kane & Lynch.

Well said. :thumb:

People from the get-go were always saying that the cover system in Kane & Lynch was so terrible and whatnot... but I never had a problem with it at all. I guess I always approached a wall so that I stuck up against it instantly.

I'm eager to see what they do with the cover system though. Any improvement is a good improvement as far as I'm concerned.

I don't feel it was terrible just that it could have been done slightly better. Hopefully Dog Days improves upon this.

...this one sounds like it is going to be more one-directional and really focused thus a better game. It seems really dark like pulp fiction or heat, etc and I am looking forward to it.

Well said and I really hope you're right. Prove to use, IOI, that K&L can be a fantastic game no matter what they nay-sayers think! :cool:

Kent-45
5th Dec 2009, 17:03
I agree... the darker the better. I want some serious gritty crime action. I want Kane kicking ass and chopping nuts left and right. I want Lynch smashing faces and putting his shotgun against a kitten's head going "YOU WANNA DIE KITTEH YOU WANNA DIE?!?!?!"

I.... have issues....

Son of Nerlin
5th Dec 2009, 17:28
lol

GrievousOdyssey
5th Dec 2009, 18:49
Nah you don't have issues , you're just getting bored , that's why it is funny , on the other hand someone who has 'issues' is more pathetic than funny ...

So in your case , you're just bored , you don't have issues ... not yet anywya ...

(Yes , obviously , i'm doing the 'party pooper' act ...)