PDA

View Full Version : Freezing, Crashing, Reptitive Audio

Pinstripe
28th Nov 2009, 03:39
I just downloaded the game today off of Steam. The first time I ran it, it ran fine up until the scene when you first meet Gordon. At which point the game froze with an infinite loop of a few seconds of dialogue and I had to shut it down. Now, every time I start up the game, it goes right into that sort of freeze at the opening movie for the game itself. Unplayable.

My specs:

Windows XP
AMD 2.00 GHz
2 gigs RAM
Soundblaster Audigy
NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS

I'm able to play things like Fallout 3 without a problem so I'm a little baffled by this. Any help is appreciated.

deders
28th Nov 2009, 10:31
Have you got the 1.1 patch?

Maranwe
28th Nov 2009, 13:40
I have similar problem. My game is also from Steam with patch 1.1. I can play for a few minutes, sometimes 5 min, sometimes 20 min and later my game is "frozen". If I press "Esc" I need to wait some time to log out. It looks like when you play Batman on 486. I can play any game but Batman? Nope :(

Win XP x64
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual (3600+)
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

deders
28th Nov 2009, 14:21
I have similar problem. My game is also from Steam with patch 1.1. I can play for a few minutes, sometimes 5 min, sometimes 20 min and later my game is "frozen". If I press "Esc" I need to wait some time to log out. It looks like when you play Batman on 486. I can play any game but Batman? Nope :(

Win XP x64
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual (3600+)
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

I'd check for background programs taking up cpu cycles in task manager
Up to date drivers, Graphics, sound and motherboard
Temperatures of your cpu, motherboard and graphics.
Integrity of the files, should be able to check with steam.

Pinstripe
28th Nov 2009, 17:24
Yes, I have patch 1.1. I also spent some time yesterday making sure every driver was up to date. Went to play again and it froze right away anyway. :(

I'll check processes while it's running but I don't know that it'll make a huge difference.

deders
28th Nov 2009, 17:25
just see if there is anything apart from the game .exe taking up cpu time, so we can rule it out.

Maranwe
28th Nov 2009, 18:25
I'd check for background programs taking up cpu cycles in task manager

if my game is frozen I can do nothing - only hard restart :(

Up to date drivers, Graphics, sound and motherboard

my drivers (graphic) are new. Sound - also new (I have Soundmax integrated digital HD audio). MB - not sure if I need new one.

Temperatures of your cpu, motherboard and graphics.

I'll check it

Integrity of the files, should be able to check with steam.

nope

deders
28th Nov 2009, 18:27
nope

Most other steam users seem to be able to....

Maranwe
28th Nov 2009, 20:25
Most other steam users seem to be able to....

if you mean "Verify integrity of game cache" it doesnt' help

Pinstripe
28th Nov 2009, 20:57
just see if there is anything apart from the game .exe taking up cpu time, so we can rule it out.

I closed everything extraneous and it still tanked.

deders
29th Nov 2009, 02:17
might be worth checking your graphics clock speeds aren't lower than they should be, some nvidia users get this problem. You can use GPUz to check this but it won't give you an accurate reading unless it is the topmost window, so just click on gpuz when you check it.

Maranwe
29th Nov 2009, 10:22
might be worth checking your graphics clock speeds aren't lower than they should be, some nvidia users get this problem. You can use GPUz to check this but it won't give you an accurate reading unless it is the topmost window, so just click on gpuz when you check it.

it says:
GPU clock 576 MHz, memory 999MHz, shader 1242 MHz

but I am not sure if it is good or not

deders
29th Nov 2009, 11:57
looks about right, I guess it's not easy to check once it's slowed down.

Maranwe
29th Nov 2009, 19:51
looks about right, I guess it's not easy to check once it's slowed down.

it was exactly same. But I started "Windows Task Manager" and there was "ShippingPC-BmGame.exe *32" using 99% of CPU. It was first 50% but later 99% (frozen game and all). So I wonder what happend that it was 99%.

Also if I start Batman without "Multi Sample Anti-Aliasing" I am stuck on loading picture with Batman. If I set in on 4x (or more) I can play.

deders
29th Nov 2009, 19:56
That seems normal, ShippingPCBmGame is the game's Exe, so it should be 99%
Any news on the temperatures? can be checked with GPUz, just remember to click on it to bring it to the fore.
What is your PSU rated at?
Do you play many other games that demand a lot from your PC?

Maranwe
29th Nov 2009, 21:20
Do you play many other games that demand a lot from your PC?

hm, like which one? GTA IV? I played "Jame's Cameron - Avatar the Game (demo) and I had no problems. C&C3 without problem. Aion also (if i don't count low fps when I do some siege - I need to upgrade my MB and CPU.)

Any news on the temperatures? can be checked with GPUz, just remember to click on it to bring it to the fore.
What is your PSU rated at?

I check it again. But now is between 48 - 57 Celsius.
Um, PSU?

deders
29th Nov 2009, 21:31
Power Supply Unit, what make and how many watts?

Maranwe
29th Nov 2009, 22:00
Power Supply Unit, what make and how many watts?

I have Modecom 400W, ATX, 12 cm FAN.

When I bought my GeForce GTX 260 he told me (in the shop): "Your PSU is on the maximum with 260. If you will have any problems we can order better PSU for you." So it looks like I will need better PSU for Batman, right? 500 W +

deders
29th Nov 2009, 22:13
Yeah, I'd say 400w is a little underpowered. If you take into consideration that even the most efficient PSU's only supply 80% of their rated power. If your PSU isn't a high end brand name, then it's likely that it will be significantly less than this.

500w should be ok, if you can stretch for it then 600w would be better, but i'd rather have a high quality 500w over a low quality 600w. What's more important is to have at least 38 amps available to your system.

Maranwe
29th Nov 2009, 22:17
I was wondering about Fortron FSP500-GLN Blue Storm II 500W
PSU PC ATX, 20+4 pin, 12cm FAN, PFC active, 4x SATA, 6x Molex, 2x PCIe 6 pin, power cabel .

deders
29th Nov 2009, 22:44
Just looking at the specs: https://www.shopfsp.com/blue-storm-ii-500watt/p/414.html (you'll have to click the specifications tab yourself)
the 12v rails have 18w each adding up to 36w, which may be ok if the rest of your PC doesn't draw too much power.
I'd feel safer recommending something with at least 19w, possibly 20w+ on each 12v rail, just to be sure that it could cope with extreme situations. PSU's work more efficiently and cooler when they aren't under strain, meaning they will last longer, it's better to play safe and over-estimate your needs.
You also have to take into account capacitor ageing, After a few years of continous use, any PSU won't be as efficient as it was when you bought it.
I'd still look in the 500w region, but it's all about how those 500w's are distributed.
Apart from that, the rest of the spec looked great.

Pinstripe
30th Nov 2009, 00:38
I'm still having the same problem and I'm not quite sure what else I can try to fix this. It seems like it just isn't going to happen on my machine for some reason. Really disappointing.

deders
30th Nov 2009, 00:56
I'm still having the same problem and I'm not quite sure what else I can try to fix this. It seems like it just isn't going to happen on my machine for some reason. Really disappointing.

What is your PSU rated at? while we're on the subject.
Also you say your CPU is 2000Mhz, is that single or dual core?