PDA

View Full Version : Crashing/Stuttering on intro, cutscenes and poor performance

lofaesofa
27th Nov 2009, 23:35
Steam version of the game

System specs
GPU: GeForce GTS250
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3600+
RAM: 2GB
Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI

Other system information:
No other intensive programs running
Defragmented my OS and game hard drives
Drivers are updated

Problems (I've searched but found nothing useful so far):
1. The splash screen/intro is really choppy and sometimes just hangs. This seems to happen before or just as GFWL is loading.
2. Audio in the cutscenes stutters and skips sections but the video seems fine.
3. The in-game performance is really bad. I get slow down to varying degrees and lowering the settings from high, medium, low and turning off V-sync has made no visible difference.
4. The game crashes on exit to desktop.

deders
28th Nov 2009, 00:01
What is your sound card/chip?

These problems are usually resolved by updating the Realtek audio drivers.

lofaesofa
28th Nov 2009, 00:27
It's a Realtek AC'97

Driver version: 5.10.0.6300
Driver date: 24.IX.2008

deders
28th Nov 2009, 00:33
I believe there is a 6305 version out, maybe later, give it a try.
Even if it doesn't work, try disabling the sound in your bios and see if the inaudiable problems still occur, in game performance, intro etc.

lofaesofa
28th Nov 2009, 09:09
I went to the Realtek site and downloaded the latest driver. It appears to be the same version, 5.10.0.6300, but in-game performance has improved. The game still crashes on exit and the menus/map are still unplayably slow.

lofaesofa
28th Nov 2009, 09:43
I have disabled sound via the BIOS and the game runs almost perfectly (there is no sound).

deders
28th Nov 2009, 10:26
you could try lowering Sound hardware acceleration in DXdiag

lofaesofa
7th Dec 2009, 22:12
I got myself a budget Asus soundcard (Xonar DS) and the improvement is amazing. I didn't do a pre-soundcard benchmark, but the FPS was definitely below 10. Now I don't get any stuttering anywhere.

I'm a bit annoyed that I had to buy a soundcard to play, but it could have been worse.

deders
8th Dec 2009, 00:54
Yeah, AC97 is only really good as something you can fall back on in emergencies.
With decent enough headphones or speakers you'll probably apreciate how much better your new soundcard sounds when compared to the basic on board solution., the general perfomance in most games will also be better, as well as the range and quality of effects.