PDA

View Full Version : Crash When Collecting Riddler Trophies.

marcusravenheart
27th Nov 2009, 06:51
I recently purchased Batman: Arkham Asylum on Steam. After managing to find a workaround for an issue that caused my game to crash on Startup. (It kept crashing with a DEP error, because the loader wants to load portions of ram allocated to windows.) BtW to resolve this issue, I ended up entering my steamapps/commen/batmanarkhamasylum folder and running it manually under administrator mode. Anyway, this isnt the part im here to gripe about or ask about.

I recently got to the the portion in which you enter the batcave. Now I am scaling walls that are falling apart. Amongst those walls are riddler trophies. If I collect any of the 3 I have found. My game crashes. Anyone know a work around. I really hate the idea of not getting this content.

deders
27th Nov 2009, 11:41
sounds strange that the memory is being managed poorly on your computer like that. DEP is there to protect against virus like programs, I would think it unlikely that you got a virus from steam but it may be worth doing a scan in case there is something else on your system.
Once you are happy your system is clean, you could try this:
http://bubble.ro/Data_Execution_Prevention_error_message_in_Windows_XP.html to switch DEP off (only if it still crashes) you should be safe if you have decent security, ie Antivirus, Antispyware and Firewall.

Memory errors could also occur if things are getting too hot, might be worth checking your system temps

marcusravenheart
27th Nov 2009, 18:01
I resolved the DEP problem already. That really wasn't my issue in his post. My problem is now that every time I collect a riddler trophy, my game crashes. The error provided has nothing to do with DEP, because windows informs you when its a DEP problem. This error simply has no information provided. I simply collect a riddler trophy, the game then freezes and shuts off.

deders
27th Nov 2009, 18:04
I was thinking it was strange there should be a DEP problem. I've never encountered one myself after years of using PC's, it could be hinting to other memory problems.

marcusravenheart
27th Nov 2009, 18:15
Actually it is quite common for people with Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 to run into DEP errors with this game and some other similar titles. I found the fix for the launching of the game on a steam forum that had over 46 pages of posts. Whatever the launcher uses, it has a chance of raising alarms. Eidios employees have stated on this forum often as a response to startup issus to check out your antivirus memory management tools, which would lead me to believe this is a known issue.

deders
27th Nov 2009, 18:16
ok then, what does it say in the error message when it crashes?

marcusravenheart
27th Nov 2009, 18:23
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: ShippingPC-BmGame.exe
Application Version: 1.0.1.0
Application Timestamp: 4a8bab8b
Fault Module Name: StackHash_7dc0
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 715c0000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 7dc0
Additional Information 2: b4ee5de6a2322745523997a782b35692
Additional Information 3: 027b
Additional Information 4: 277e19c30fbd5f6bb531ec9e027c37c3

deders
27th Nov 2009, 18:30
well, the first few pages i get when googling "BEX error" brings up several refernces to DEP. DEP is there to stop programs going outside their allocated memory, something a virus might do to attack your system. I'm still drawn to the conclusion that either DEP is interfering with the game itself or there is something residing in your memory that shouldn't be. What Antivirus and Spyware protection do you have?

marcusravenheart
27th Nov 2009, 18:36
I use Spyware Doctor with Anti-Virus as well as Avast! Home Edition.I also have disabled DEP temporarily to see if this fixes the issue, and it has not. If it helps, this didn't start occurring until after I passed the Batman Cave scene. The game plays perfectly fine as long as I don;t collect riddler trophies. Which makes me ponder if it has to to with the GFWL achievement system.

deders
27th Nov 2009, 18:48
most of the solutions i can see from googling seem to by selecting 'turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select', and then browsing for the relative .exe.

I'd also suggest updating your security software and running full scans.

Apart from that all i can suggest is google for any clues you get in the error message, the BEX one looks like the biggest, and seeing if anyone else has solved it.

vinjoebob
4th Nov 2010, 19:19
I recently purchased Batman: Arkham Asylum on Steam. After managing to find a workaround for an issue that caused my game to crash on Startup. (It kept crashing with a DEP error, because the loader wants to load portions of ram allocated to windows.) BtW to resolve this issue, I ended up entering my steamapps/commen/batmanarkhamasylum folder and running it manually under administrator mode. Anyway, this isnt the part im here to gripe about or ask about.

I recently got to the the portion in which you enter the batcave. Now I am scaling walls that are falling apart. Amongst those walls are riddler trophies. If I collect any of the 3 I have found. My game crashes. Anyone know a work around. I really hate the idea of not getting this content.
Hi Marcus,

Did you ever get the problem resolved? I too bought Arkham Asylum from steam and am having the same problem. If I avoid picking up trophies, I'm fine. But that eliminates a large part of the game. As soon as I pick up the third trophy it crashes.

afterbirth
8th Nov 2010, 23:28
as soon as I enter the batcave for first time, I get a "runtime crash" as soon as I get to the middle of the first platform ... I've tried everything including disabling physX ... any clues?
:mad2: