PDA

View Full Version : The DVD Collection

theBlackman
22nd Nov 2009, 09:17
Has TGOLD, TMA, TDS in a DVD. XP-Vista ready. Mine arrived this afternoon. I'll still keep my dozen or so copies of the old ones and I have a couple of W98 systems to run them on along with a lot (2 or 300) older games. :)

There seems to be a problem with the Attachment loader. I tried half a dozen times to load a couple of BMPs well within the Meg limits and they show as "Attached files" in a link format and, of course, crash the whole forum if the "link" is clicked.

The JPG are not as clear, but on the backpanel view the box does have the XP-VISTA listed in the specs.

Peter_Smith
23rd Nov 2009, 00:53
I am suspicious. Let us know if they play on an XP system without modification and what is the story with rendering of T2. Is it the crappy 8-bit color rendering that motivated DDFIX? If so, will DDFIX work with the T2 version of this release?

theBlackman
23rd Nov 2009, 01:36
I am suspicious. Let us know if they play on an XP system without modification and what is the story with rendering of T2. Is it the crappy 8-bit color rendering that motivated DDFIX? If so, will DDFIX work with the T2 version of this release?

Don't use DDFIX. But all three loaded and run fine on my system with XP.

I think it is 16 bit, at least the VIDEO options for screen resolution list:
400 X 300 X 16
512 X 384 X 16
640 X 400 X 16
640 X 480 X 16
800 X 600 X 16
1024 X 768 X 16
1280 X 1024 X 16
1600 X 1200 X 16

No problems at all as yet. I'm running T2 in 1280 X 1024 and Dromed in 1024 X 768.

Peter_Smith
23rd Nov 2009, 07:20
Thanks, tBM.

The resolutions you list are about the same as those in the original T2, as I recall. What they list for color depth and what is actually displayed by the graphics card may be entirely different. Are you still running an older ATI card? If so, you probably don't have the issue I am about to describe. If you are running any DX-10 card (Nvidia or ATI) or an Nvidia card in the 7000 or 8000 series (8000 being worse), then you probably have bad colors unless you can use DDFIX to fix the rendering. In some cases, the game will not run at all without DDFIX - as is the case with my current 8800 GT card. So, the ability to modify the game with DDFIX could be important to a lot of people. And, I know that some recent releases do not have the capability to be modified, because they have messed around with the EXE, so it is no longer compatible with DDFIX.

Below are two images that show the potential importance of DDFIX to some people.

8800 GTS, no ddfix
Note the banding, bad sky, and greenish tint of the colors due to limited color palette.
http://i49.tinypic.com/11aeddf.jpg

8800 GT, with ddfix (won't play without it)
Note the improved colors and the appearance of plants on the wall and stars in the sky.
http://i50.tinypic.com/wboqrl.jpg

An older ATI card should look like the latter, but DX-10 ATI cards should look like the former.

theBlackman
23rd Nov 2009, 07:27
I'm using a ATI AIW X800XT. I have no use for a "new" Sli card,and as long as I can avoid it won't be getting a MOBO that needs one.

I've not seen a game in the last 5 years, with the possible exception of WOW that I would even consider purchasing.

And I'll never spend 30 to 50 dollars for a game such as WOW and then 10 to 20 per month to play online.

In fact I'll never touch VISTA, and won't be into MS7 for a year or so after all the results are in.

I'm upgrading my CPU and HDDs but not the rest of the system. And no DX-10 or such unless I am forced to it.

Peter_Smith
23rd Nov 2009, 15:05
Yes, but the point I was making is that it is caveat emptor on the purchase. I guess I have done that. :)

Gillie
29th Nov 2009, 18:19
I have the complete collection with Gold, which I got T2 to work with Vista with the DDfix and WS patch. Gold played with the WS patch no fix fine. TDS played as expected too.
Problem Now have W7. :hmm:
I have not reinstalled the game. I did reinstall TDS though as I had no sound and the objective list was not there,that now works.
Put The WS patch back In both T2 and Gold now fit the screen, as before it was "Boxed".
The patch on T2 gives me only resolutions of
640x480x16 and 1680x1050x16 which the latter is fine.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/gillie6/theif2fixed.jpg

Gold freezes after a few minutes play, I was under the impression W7 is not much different to Vista though.
Wonder if it is the resolution Gold has a long list. Thought maybe the resolution should be as in
T2, the last one
640x480x16
1024x768x16
1152x864x16
1280x960x16
1360x768x16
1680x1050x16,
Specks: Intel Core Quad core CPU 2.4 Duel Nvida 860 GTS. Tried turning off the Nvida SLI as well, it was actually worse. To play play Modern Warefare2 had to turn off SLI for it to play and that is a new game.

No matter what resolution I change it to and tried them all, on playing it goes back to 1680x1050x16
then it freezes after a few minutes, Biker over at TTLG plays on a duel core with his no problem with windows7. Should have stayed as it was.

Peter_Smith
29th Nov 2009, 19:13
Sorry, I have no experience with W7 or with Wide Screens. I did get SLI to work on an older system, but so much has changed since then, and your system is so different from what mine was, that I think you are entering into unchartered territory, for me at least. I would not expect a rig like that to play T1, but it is always possible with persistence.

If I were you I would try to deinstall the Wide Screen patch and try to get it to run on a standard resolution first. Then at least you might be able to isolate the problem to before or after WS patch. If you did not have DDFIX installed before WS, you could try that. Of course, Biker and company are more qualified than I to make suggestions about all these things.

I assume that you have changed something so T1 runs only on a single core. If not, then that is your problem.

Gillie
29th Nov 2009, 19:26
I will try that. Biker had helped. I think maybe de install the WS patch might be the right thing to try.
Gold did play on Vista though okay. Put in the WS patch with Vista the reinstalled again it for W7.
With Vista it looked too stretched without it, funny with W7 it was very boxed so unable to see it all. Really here pointing out I think T2 does not look too bad really with the fix. Easy to understand that an older game like TDP would be hard to play.
Thanks. :)

littlektaffer
16th Dec 2009, 02:49
I want it.

OMG I finally got a post to go through. I have been silenced no more. Thanks for the info Dusty. I tried to load up TGold and kept getting an error - Win somethingorother. I think the CD is damaged. But then I have no idea how to tweak these games - just play them.

And now that I can post - at least at this moment - I may just burn up the forum.

theBlackman
16th Dec 2009, 03:51
When you get the ERROR. Hit PRINTSCREEN, put it in PAINT, SAVE it as a JPG and use the ATTACHMENT Link at the bottom and post it here.

yubetcha
7th Jan 2010, 17:18
Hi, everyone.
I have no problem running all three Thief games on my XP. I guess I am pretty lucky.
I may check out the DVD that has all three anyway, just so I will have copies.
However, I don't see a link, TBM. What am I missing? I guess I could google for it.

theBlackman
8th Jan 2010, 04:46
Yubetcha, I did not make the link. Your best bet is to GOOGLE as I did and if you do get a link and decide to buy, make certain you get the COMPLETE COLLECTION DVD, not the THIEF COLLECTION DVD. The Collection has TDP and not GOLD.

Gillie
8th Jan 2010, 18:49
It seems "The complete collection" is quite hard to find in the USA.
Are you USA Yubetcha?. I sent Nightwalker a few copies to Canada she might have a spare<
If not and you can not find it I can send you or anyone who
asks a copy. It is about $13 USD

yubetcha
11th Jan 2010, 15:23
I googled for 'The Complete Collection' , not 'THIEF COLLECTION DVD'. There were too many links for other games and movies, so I added 'thief' at the end. Found a link at Mastertronic I think it was for £7.47 . The list of games included TDP, so I am a little hesitant. That could be their mistake though. Anyway, not found in USA, yet.
I read over at TTLG that it still doesn't support dual processors, etc, or Windows 7 just F.Y.I. Neither issue affects me, though.
Thanks, Gillie. I appreciate it. I may be contacting you. I am in Texas. I will let you know. Thanks again.

BTW, the site says "Slip into the world of Garrett, the greatest thief the world has never seen". I got a chuckle from that. I found a review a couple of months ago that said, "If Garret was so good at his job, how come some people knew his name, and everyone could see him and knew who he was?". :)

Gillie
12th Jan 2010, 00:08
I looked at Mastertronic as well, they do ship as well which seems for not a lot.
If you enlarge the cover, I think you will find it is Gold.
Anyway If you need to get it sent anytime I will, you are welcome. :)

http://www.mastertronic.com/productMastertronic.asp?pid=823

BTW, the site says "Slip into the world of Garrett, the greatest thief the world has never seen". I got a chuckle from that. I found a review a couple of months ago that said, "If Garret was so good at his job, how come some people knew his name, and everyone could see him and knew who he was?". :)

Nice one. :lol: