PDA

View Full Version : Windows Live doing my head in!!!

nats
21st Nov 2009, 17:47
I just cant fathom this Windows Live. After trying for half an hour to get the game to play after installing I finally managed to select an offline profile and actually managed to play the game and have been playing on this profile for the last week. But today I went back to it and did somethign and now this bloody Windows Live is coming up again saying please select a profile and I cant find my offline profile anywhere. So I cant seem to continue my game that has a weeks worth of time ivested in it!!!

This is the stupidest single most annoying feature I have ever had to endure in any game I have ever come across. Its so annoying.

I am really thinking of taking this game back to the shop I am so frustrated with it. The game itself is brilliant but I just hate all this messing around.

I dont know whether I am just missing something obvious or what but this is no good at all. Seriously Eidos if this is going to be implemented on your games from now on I wont be buying another game of yours ... ever.

Stupid bloody idea.

nats
22nd Nov 2009, 11:05
Well I found out how to play offline at last and I will put the explanation here in case anyone else like me is completely frustrated by the whole process. Firstly you press the 'HOME' key on the keyboard to pull up the Windows Live screen - that is something that frustrated me for a start trying to get back to that screen. Then when the screen comes up telling you to create a profile if you scroll down through the text you will get to a link for creating an offline account. You can use that to play the game offline and save your progress. But note that this profile doesnt allow you to download content from the internet or play with other people (I know its bloody stupid!!). So you have to create another profile in addition to this one for online play. Now be very careful about this becuase the last time I did it I lost me offline profile and all of my progress in the game so far. I am still not entirely certain you can have two different profiles or how you can record the progress opf one game on thes two profiles or anything else. If I was you I would play the game and finish it offline first before even attempting to set up an online profile. When I tried setting up an online profile I also joined Xbox for some reason which again is beyond me.

Suffice it to say the whole Windows Live thing is just a complete and utter mess and the way it is implemented in this game is extremely user unfriendly.

If I knew who to complain to I would. From now on I wont be buying anything with a Windows Live sticker on the box and I will be thinking twice about any Eidos games.

deders
23rd Nov 2009, 11:05
Suffice it to say the whole Windows Live thing is just a complete and utter mess and the way it is implemented in this game is extremely user unfriendly.

If I knew who to complain to I would. From now on I wont be buying anything with a Windows Live sticker on the box and I will be thinking twice about any Eidos games.

Complain to microsoft, the g4wl dept

planar_rift
28th Nov 2009, 04:00
Complain to microsoft, the g4wl dept

Wrong.

His complaint is rightly directed here. G4WL is a festering pile of crap that has no valid reason for existing on my PC. I repeat: There is no reason to include it with the PC release of this game. None.

The only purpose it has served is to frustrate and alienate a segment of their (both Eidos and Rocksteady) customer base. If I wanted G4WL, I would buy an xBox. Is this difficult to understand?

Apparently.

PC Gamers are a different breed. Someone at one of the aforementioned companies needs to learn this. Please, for the love of God, learn this.

It doesn't matter that I can sign on in offline mode. It doesn't matter that it MAY have some useful features, which it does not. All that matters is that I bought your damn game and I entered your fraking cd key and why in the hell are you pestering me with this garbage?

The ONLY reason that I didn't demand a refund the instant I realized that you people had pulled this crap on me is because my wife happens to love the game. I will not be making another purchase.

Thank you. Please return to your regularly scheduled thread.

deders
28th Nov 2009, 10:24
Well once he's complained here, he can complain to the people actually responsible!, an especially good idea if he wants any hope of the problem being resolved.

planar_rift
29th Nov 2009, 02:26
he can complain to the people actually responsible!

Oh that's right, my bad deders, I forgot about how the Microsoft commandos burst from the ceiling at Eidos Headquarters and forced them at gunpoint to overlay this game with G4WL. Oh wait...

How can you possibly fail to see this? Are you really this dense or are you intentionally being obtuse? I prefer to think the latter, but at this point I'm no longer sure.

Lemme think...how can I explain something that is so basic it nearly defies explanation?
Ok, let's say you want to purchase a new car, so you take yourself down to the local dealership, for simplicities sake we'll make it Honda. You pick out the model you want and take it for a test drive (for those following at home that would be the Demo). Everything is gravy so far, so you make the purchase. You sign your name on the dotted line, they hand you the keys.

Again, everything is great. Then you get behind the wheel, put the key in the ignition and give it a turn...nothing happens. At first you're confused, then a notice appears on the GPS system, which has been bundled with the car, again for simplicities sake we'll make it Garmin. The Garmin notice informs you that to operate the vehicle you just purchased, you must first sign up for their service.

How would you react, deders? Anger? Resentment? Outrage?

Now imagine that you go ahead and sign up for the service, even though you didn't ask for it and don't want it, because you'd really like to drive the car you paid for. But wait, something is wrong with the Garmin device, so you can't. The car won't start, or it tries and just stops.

Whose fault is it that the car won't operate? Garmins, or Hondas? The answer, deders, is Honda. Honda installed the device, Honda allowed the operation of their vehicle to be tied to the device, and, pay attention this is important, Honda is the one who sold you the car.

Now do you see, or should I try again?
What Eidos/Rocksteady has done here is not only wrong, it's not only bad business, it's unethical. To require me to sign up for a service that I do not want IN ORDER TO SAVE MY GAME is a very very naughty thing to do. To have some schmuck come along and try to tell me otherwise is just insulting.

Please remove your fanboy hat for just a second and notice the stickied thread dedicated to this problem. Notice that it has nearly 8,000 views. Please try to understand that only a fraction of the people who actually experience this will visit this site and click on that page. This is a serious problem.

What Eidos needs to do is patch it out at the next available opportunity. Anything else is just unacceptable.

deders
29th Nov 2009, 02:31
I completely understand the problems people are having, and I don't personally welcome g4wl, especially as it encrypts the savegames, but he has made his point on the forums, and hopefully Eidos will take note. But if he actually wants the game to work so it can be played, the quickest way is to direct his complaint to the people that designed the software that is causing the problem.

I often find instead of shouting at the middleman, the best solution is to go to the root of the problem. there is no fanboyism going on here. (seriously, what kind of sick mind could possibly be a g4wl fanboy?)

I'm sure you'll find many examples throughout this forum where I've spoken against g4wl. I'm just thinking of the best way to get this particular problem solved. Once it's solved, it may help many others.

planar_rift
30th Nov 2009, 22:06
My apologies, deders. I've been venting on you when I shouldn't have.

deders
30th Nov 2009, 22:09
no problem, I understand your frustration

homeycdawg
1st Dec 2009, 02:37
GFWL drives me to drink.

myuser
9th Dec 2009, 17:39
i could not agree more with the outrage said here about the god awful G4WL i would think most of it comes down to the game being ( i belive) a 360 port over as are most games from eidos these days ,maybe one day in the far future they may realise that us pc users are not the 360 stick in a game disc and play the game brigade ..some of us actually build ( well asemble maybe) our own systems to use ,cant really see the 360 er's puting there consoles together

homeycdawg
9th Dec 2009, 18:47
I'm sure it's simply a control thing. PC gaming has absolutely no use whatsoever for such a simplistic, intrusive, and most of all buggy console-esque network. I don't know how much money Microsoft dishes out to have this garbage tacked on, but I wish Eidos would drop whatever contracts they have with Microsoft for the sake of their customers, as the amount of "I hate GFWL" posts in the PC section of this forum should be a pretty clear signal to them.

trancer-necromancer
14th Jan 2010, 19:24
Wrong.

His complaint is rightly directed here. G4WL is a festering pile of crap that has no valid reason for existing on my PC. I repeat: There is no reason to include it with the PC release of this game. None.

The only purpose it has served is to frustrate and alienate a segment of their (both Eidos and Rocksteady) customer base. If I wanted G4WL, I would buy an xBox. Is this difficult to understand?

Apparently.

PC Gamers are a different breed. Someone at one of the aforementioned companies needs to learn this. Please, for the love of God, learn this.

It doesn't matter that I can sign on in offline mode. It doesn't matter that it MAY have some useful features, which it does not. All that matters is that I bought your damn game and I entered your fraking cd key and why in the hell are you pestering me with this garbage?

The ONLY reason that I didn't demand a refund the instant I realized that you people had pulled this crap on me is because my wife happens to love the game. I will not be making another purchase.

Thank you. Please return to your regularly scheduled thread.:flowers: :thumb: :thumb: